watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Neco Williams

Started by shepperton white, July 11, 2022, 02:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hovewhite

Think scousers have mugged forest and happy we didn't bite.

Ss12white

He is unproven in the top flight. £17m is going to be a huge part of our budget for the season.
Also Tete is better than him at the minute and is most likely going to start.
Would of loved to have him back but not at the price.
But time will tell.

howitis

I think it is a shame we didn't make this happen. Proven performer for us and the right age profile. I think there is more to come from this lad. We should be investing in young talent not just letting it go ..

HV71

Quote from: toshes mate on July 12, 2022, 07:55:03 AM
Time alone will tell its story but, as a Club, we have a habit of splashing out when it's unnecessary to do so and playing mean when we shouldn't because we know the player already. 

Versatility adds value to any player and we know (from the Denis Odoi era) that it creates more of a bargain than the one gig guy who costs more than double the money and was a flop at the task he was supposed to fulfill.   I hope this isn't yet another aberration of the kind that has been familar since summer 2016.   

Spot on

Andy S

Yes but not at any cost. He may not be able to step up to this level this quickly. Look back to Joe Bryan.

welsh_white

Quote from: Ss12white on July 12, 2022, 08:04:50 AM
He is unproven in the top flight. £17m is going to be a huge part of our budget for the season.
But time will tell.

For me it's frustrating because Periera who has had lots of opportunities with Man Utd and by his own admission is not suited to the premier league, we are willing to shell out £10 m on, but Neco who has loads of top level experience with Wales, can play 2 positions and is already integrated in the team can't justify his transfer fee  because he is 'unproven'.

ianthailand

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 11, 2022, 03:23:38 PM
I just don't think he's strong enough defensively, and not explosive enough in final third to really be a smash in EPL. He's has lots of potential though so I don't think the price is too outlandish albeit, I'm glad we didn't fork out to be honest.
+1

FFC1987

Quote from: welsh_white on July 12, 2022, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: Ss12white on July 12, 2022, 08:04:50 AM
But time will tell.

For me it's frustrating because Periera who has had lots of opportunities with Man Utd and by his own admission is not suited to the premier league, we are willing to shell out £10 m on, but Neco who has loads of top level experience with Wales, can play 2 positions and is already integrated in the team can't justify his transfer fee  because he is 'unproven'.

Hmm. I tend to disagree with some aspects of your argument. Playing for Wales isn't really the same as hard EPL experience. Periera hasn't had many opportunities at United bar pre season matches and in terms of scaling on transfer budgets, the difference between £10m and £17m is fairly drastic. For the price of Williams who probably wouldn't be a starter in his position(s) you can get a central midfielder who Silva wants, plus a starter in a position we need ie Solomon if the £10m and £7m transfers are indeed true (or less if you factor in loan/fee deal due to Fifa ruling).

I think it's a bit of an unfair comparison and if we're being honest, Williams is much more suited to the Forest style of play and will be a like for like replacement Spence. So i'm not surprised Forest are willing to overpay. The silvelining is, as a Welsh fan, you get to see an upcoming player develop under Cooper and play regularly whereas, I just don;t think he'd play as much as a £17.5m price tag warrants.

I didn't reply before, but I don't personally see him as this £30m star you think he might be. Liverpool wouldn't be selling if that was the case. They'd just loan farm him out till he had the experience and replace aging squad members for half the amounts they want to invest into that squad. I respect you think he'll be a star, but I just don't see it. Too weak defensively at this point in time and how he plays for Wales and Forest, I'm not sure that's the area of the game he'll focus on developing. We'll see I guess. Wish him well.

70sPimlico

Its not that long ago, I know but didn't Marco seem to end up playing Tete against the tougher teams and Neco for teams we would expect to be on top?

Of course, he may end up playing in midfield but as a full back likely to be put under a fair bit of pressure in the premier, I would worry for Neco and am glad we didn't buy him. I think he had a bit of a honeymoon period with us but tailed off.

I think he may have a hard season