News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Looking more like 3rd September our season starts!

Started by JimmyConway, July 19, 2022, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Giving the rest of the competition potentially 15 points start like previous campaign is not ideal. This window has an Deja Vu feel but elongated this time. Preparation for Silva can't be ideal in more ways than one.
It just has a feeling that this is becoming the normal at Fulham to a certain degree. If you asked me a month ago I thought good strong start we might be the surprise team but the last week or so it has more a feeling of can't see anything other than a struggle. In all honesty I thought we would likely have a new defence or at least 3/4 by now.
There won't be much team bonding going on in Portugal as everyone knows one another apart from possibly three players? Some will say still plenty of time which is correct but are we going to do a Slav on Silva and give him five new players two days before kick off? and expect him to wave a magic wand.

Just my opinion that preparation is the key to having a successful campaign and giving the manager time to get use to his new tools.

SG

Funnily enough I was looking at the fixtures with this in mind. Two games we can safely write off but there are 3 winnable games that are in my view being put at risk by failing to sign players

filham

Bargain basement buys made on window closing day will not be bedded in and ready to play by 3rd September.

The Rational Fan

Bargains appear later in the window, which means we must buy later in the window. The solution to overcome this problem is we must think at least two windows ahead, but preferably five or six windows ahead. The aim should be to have a promotion with at least 8/9 players that can start the next season, we had about 5/6 players from last season at most that can start.

filham

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 22, 2022, 04:25:42 AM
Bargains appear later in the window, which means we must buy later in the window. The solution to overcome this problem is we must think at least two windows ahead, but preferably five or six windows ahead. The aim should be to have a promotion with at least 8/9 players that can start the next season, we had about 5/6 players from last season at most that can start.
I am old enough to remember our first ever promotion into the top flight in 1949 when we had a whole team ready to compete in the top flight, there was no question of bringing in new players, the boys that had won promotion deserved their chance. All we talked about that summer was how we would match the mighty Wolves..in the opening match.

ron

The post title sounds as ominous as the 3rd of September 1939.....

ffcthereligion

Quote from: ron on July 22, 2022, 10:28:53 AM
The post title sounds as ominous as the 3rd of September 1939.....

Only in this case it seems quite likely it'll be over by Christmas

JohnG

Yet another poor transfer window. At present it will be a miracle if we don't finish in the bottom 2 places and will probably be adrift after the first 6 matches. Surely something has been learnt from the previous two promotions, but maybe it hasn't.  No new back line players which should have been the absolute priority and no new goalkeeper but keeping Rodak is far preferable to paying close to £15m for someone only slightly better who is and Arsenal's reject.
Get something done asap or be resigned to a hat trick of first time relegations and it all be over by Christmas.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 22, 2022, 04:25:42 AM

Open too many windows and you will be sure to create a draught.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ealex40

I am old enough to remember our first ever promotion into the top flight in 1949 when we had a whole team ready to compete in the top flight, there was no question of bringing in new players, the boys that had won promotion deserved their chance. All we talked about that summer was how we would match the mighty Wolves..in the opening match.
[/quote]

Are you old enough to remember that our manager, Jack Peart, suddenly died in the September of 1948, just a month into the season and Frank Osborne took over for that promotion winning season. My dad took me to the away games at Coventry (0-1) and our 2-1 win in the snow, at WBA.