watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- A match report.

Started by bog, July 21, 2022, 09:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Not from Portugal but Margate. I took advantage of our beloved club playing a pre-season friendly at my local non-league ground Hartsdown Park. This has lost a lot of its charm with the infamous slopping pitch levelled off a few years back and the player's entry up and onto the pitch by way of a tunnel was also ended. That was very rare in non-league football. As well, for financial reasons, there is now a plastic pitch. Our team was made up from the youth set up, when our side was announced no player's numbers were given so I had no idea of who was who other than Ollie O'Neil. We started well looking full of running with our numbers 2, 3 and 11 looking prominent. By 20mimns we were two up, the second being a shot that took a massive deflection but Margate were no push overs. Right on half time a heavy handed/booted tackle saw a needlessly conceded free kick enable them to score their goal. The second half was more equal but we were always trying to play possession football. Margate were coming on strong towards the end, but as I live locally and know what it is like to leave the ground after a game I left 5mins before the end during which time we scored another.
    I could not help but wonder how many of our young players would ever get near the first team but if honest endeavor did then most involved would. Any game with FFC taking part I want to know about and at no time was I aggrieved at our players. The fixture was in recognition of us signing Martial Goddo from Margate's youth set up. Margate did their bit in an entertaining game. I am making a habit of these fixtures as I was the when we played them in the FA Cup 24 years ago.  049:gif Yes 24 years.

As an aside the pitch was levelled and tunnel lost up after a new chairman arrived promising league football. He was after buying Wolves but settled for Margate. Perhaps if he had got Wolves he would have promised non-league for them. He upset all the loyal volunteers who are the back bone of all non-league club and the club secretary who had been there for over 30 years left feeling very sour. Then Mr. Wonderful buggered off. The club is now back on a sound footing by way of volunteers, I wish the all the best for next season.

The attendance was 594 with a good amount of FFC shirts to be seen.                 

Jamie88

Thanks for the report bog

Shame the club have't seemed to have made any mention of the match, though that could change, maybe they will publish something later today.