If the possibility existed, Mawson and Hector should have been retained

Started by rebel, August 02, 2022, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

Quote from: Bal_13 on August 02, 2022, 01:47:06 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 02, 2022, 09:49:45 AM
Quote from: Jeroen on August 02, 2022, 09:48:55 AM
That makes the decision about not involving Kongolo all the more mysterious

Agree, I don't get this. I guess Silva just really didn't fancy him and didn't want to play him.

To be fair Marco probably sanctioned Mawson and Hector leaving / Kongolo being frozen out on the assumption he'd have replacements by now. Don't think anybody foresaw us having 2 senior CBs come Liverpool, especially with our bloated squad last year.

Yep, but it's not as if we can get players transferred in quickly. It takes at least 5 days.

Whitestone

I don't see Kongolo as frozen out. I think it's more a case of him needing game time because he's been out for so long. Hopefully he'll get the loan he needs and the club will be able to monitor his progress.
Onomah, Cavaleiro and Knockhart are not in the managers plans and that's no surprise. We didn't need them last season.
As for Mawson and Hector, there was a time when I would have selected Mawson over Ream. Neither are what we need now so it's understandable they were released.
The mistake wasn't releasing them. They should have been replaced weeks ago.

CheshireWhite

Hector isn't the answer in the Premier League in a month of Sunday's......as reinforced by his failure to cement a Championship regular spot! Kongolo? I agree with the point made that the failure to sign a PL standard CB is both worrying and perplexing!

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on August 02, 2022, 01:15:28 PM
Hector was probably the worst Premier League debut I have ever seen, and you can't trust Mawson not to break doing up his shoe laces.

Not worth it. Not one bit.

Agreed. Hector couldn't handle the Premier League. I've never seen a player look so nervous. We've got other players in the squad who may not be CBs but still a better option at CB then Hector. It's a shame, he seemed to have a huge potential but he couldn't handle the pressure.

Mawson must be a fitness issue. He always looked solid when he played for us and he was excellent for Swansea in the PL. On paper he's exactly the type of CB we need IMO but sadly his career seems to be more or less over due to injuries.

colinwhite

SuffolkWhite

I don't feel keeping players that were on the edge of the first team is the answer, especially with the wages they would require. Play some younger players and give them the experience whilst saving money for the Championship. If we can get quality CB's in even if that's after the season has started then good, It will be better in the long  run and better for ffp IMO. Serstainabiliy for the Club is better, let's face it we would still go even in Div 2.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Pluto

I've been saying for a while that we should have kept one of the two if Kongolo wasn't going to be fit/involved. I believe we even had a 1 year option on Hector so im baffled we didnt pick that up, given we could have just sold or loaned him if we got a replacement (as we did with Cyrus).

Likewise, absolutely foolish move to cast aside senior players in Cav, Ono, Kongolo and Knock before we have replacements through the door. Yes, they are not good enough - but you can't complain about having only 15 senior players when you didn't invite four of them to training.

Surlyc

Quote from: Pluto on August 02, 2022, 03:15:18 PM
Likewise, absolutely foolish move to cast aside senior players in Cav, Ono, Kongolo and Knock before we have replacements through the door. Yes, they are not good enough - but you can't complain about having only 15 senior players when you didn't invite four of them to training.
It looks quite petulant to be honest. I get that we want to move them on and we can't carry their wages once we get replacements in, but let's not pretend they don't exist until those replacements arrive.

colinwhite

perry geyton

Quote from: Mullers OG on August 02, 2022, 10:10:27 AM
Hector appears to be still available. If we are down to two cb and can't find anyone good enough, affordable, available and willing to come then the club has to think again.

Hector may not have been the best in the world but he's also not the worst. Time to admit perhaps that letting him go without a replacement might have been an error.

Anyway which striker would want to be confronted by Hector and Attilla?

I've no idea what happened to Hector he was our Tosin only a couple of seasons ago, it must be psychological, surely he still has it in him

I've not completely given up hope

Mickeyboro

Quote from: perry geyton on August 02, 2022, 05:02:33 PM
Quote from: Mullers OG on August 02, 2022, 10:10:27 AM
Hector appears to be still available. If we are down to two cb and can't find anyone good enough, affordable, available and willing to come then the club has to think again.

Hector may not have been the best in the world but he's also not the worst. Time to admit perhaps that letting him go without a replacement might have been an error.

Anyway which striker would want to be confronted by Hector and Attilla?

I've no idea what happened to Hector he was our Tosin only a couple of seasons ago, it must be psychological, surely he still has it in him

I've not completely given up hope
Absolutely. I am sure something happened in his personal life to destabilise him. We shall never know.

Players are human beings too. Alan Nielson (remember him from the Keegan era?) played in an emergency after his wife miscarried, and happily played a blinder. If he hadn't, and Twitter had existed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barrett487

Quote from: roberto w6 on August 02, 2022, 10:18:26 AM
Quote from: rebel on August 02, 2022, 09:59:55 AM
Say Tosin and Ream get injured, it's down to the academy players to save the day, maybe.

I think if that happens, we're more likely to see Tete in the middle with Chalobah, who have both played there in their careers. I doubt he'd risk a kid at CB. It's more likely he'd move experienced players out of position.
Apparently Mbabu has played CB before, from memory i think it was TransferMarket that said that.