watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If the possibility existed, Mawson and Hector should have been retained

Started by rebel, August 02, 2022, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

For 3 / 6 months, if they were willing. At the moment the likelihood of having 2 centrebacks arrive before the season start is zilch.

What's more terrible, not having the depth or fit players who can do a job?

Jeroen

That makes the decision about not involving Kongolo all the more mysterious

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Jeroen on August 02, 2022, 09:48:55 AM

Agree, I don't get this. I guess Silva just really didn't fancy him and didn't want to play him.

FFC1987

Unless those players were willing to sign a 2-3 month contract, which I highly doubt, it would of been a waste of everyone's time.

rebel

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 02, 2022, 09:49:03 AM
Why would they be willing to do that?

A lucrative short term contract, who knows they may do well. Actually making bids that are presently going nowhere is much better, with the season to start soon. 

roberto w6

Along similar lines, I would say let's wait to see who we get in before casting aside, Cav, Onomah and Knockheart.

With Wilson out, Solomon probably needing time to settle in and a midfield that still needs cover, I think we could regret getting rid of them if nobody else comes in.

I know this comment won't be popular but they can all do a job when on form as cover

rebel

Say Tosin and Ream get injured, it's down to the academy players to save the day, maybe. 

rebel

Quote from: roberto w6 on August 02, 2022, 09:58:41 AM
Along similar lines, I would say let's wait to see who we get in before casting aside, Cav, Onomah and Knockheart.

With Wilson out, Solomon probably needing time to settle in and a midfield that still needs cover, I think we could regret getting rid of them if nobody else comes in.

I know this comment won't be popular but they can all do a job when on form as cover

Agree 100%.

Blawarmy

Quote from: rebel on August 02, 2022, 09:59:55 AM
Say Tosin and Ream get injured, it's down to the academy players to save the day, maybe.
That's gotta be a sackable dof offence. Oh....

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Mullers OG

Hector appears to be still available. If we are down to two cb and can't find anyone good enough, affordable, available and willing to come then the club has to think again.

Hector may not have been the best in the world but he's also not the worst. Time to admit perhaps that letting him go without a replacement might have been an error.

Anyway which striker would want to be confronted by Hector and Attilla?

Holders

Quote from: Mullers OG on August 02, 2022, 10:10:27 AM
Hector appears to be still available. If we are down to two cb and can't find anyone good enough, affordable, available and willing to come then the club has to think again.

Hector may not have been the best in the world but he's also not the worst. Time to admit perhaps that letting him go without a replacement might have been an error.

"...and Lysander and such great names as these".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

roberto w6

Quote from: rebel on August 02, 2022, 09:59:55 AM

I think if that happens, we're more likely to see Tete in the middle with Chalobah, who have both played there in their careers. I doubt he'd risk a kid at CB. It's more likely he'd move experienced players out of position.

Deeping_white

If I was a striker in the PL and coming up against Hector I would think it was my birthday, he lost the plot after we got promoted last time and his defending in his few PL appearances was hilariously bad

deadcowboys

Quote from: Holders on August 02, 2022, 10:13:15 AM

"...and Lysander and such great names as these".

Plenty of red cards with that lot on the pitch, if the Ref survived long enough to waive one.

roberto w6

It's gone quiet on Attila Szalai. Has he gone elsewhere? The link to him was the most exciting of all the journeyman names at CB that we've recently been linked to.

Lighthouse

I know FFP rules and trying to stay within them has been a real problem. Apparently the raising of ticket prices was part of that. Percentage of income blah blah blah. Then not being able to spend out on players needed. Wages also come into it.

I think over spending in the past has meant we are now confined to limited expenditure as percentages of income and wage total.

So it goes far deeper than why don't we just spend the money and keep the players in case. There are articles about that explain it and it doesn't make an excuse why we are slow once again. But it is part of a problem that we as a club are struggling with.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

KebanOMG

Quote from: rebel on August 02, 2022, 09:45:36 AM
For 3 / 6 months, if they were willing. At the moment the likelihood of having 2 centrebacks arrive before the season start is zilch.

What's more terrible, not having the depth or fit players who can do a job?

They can't do a job though.

Somerset Fulham

Hector was probably the worst Premier League debut I have ever seen, and you can't trust Mawson not to break doing up his shoe laces.

Not worth it. Not one bit.

Bal_13

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 02, 2022, 09:49:45 AM
Quote from: Jeroen on August 02, 2022, 09:48:55 AM

Agree, I don't get this. I guess Silva just really didn't fancy him and didn't want to play him.

To be fair Marco probably sanctioned Mawson and Hector leaving / Kongolo being frozen out on the assumption he'd have replacements by now. Don't think anybody foresaw us having 2 senior CBs come Liverpool, especially with our bloated squad last year.