watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Issa Diop

Started by General, August 04, 2022, 10:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

So some momentum seems to be building, though to what ends we don't yet know.

He put a simple Instagram story out saying the word 'done', then another suggesting he was in Toulouse, people started assuming he may be going back to toulouse, but it turned out its where he'd been for two weeks and grown up.

He replied to the rumours saying something along the lines of 'why is everyone making stories up'..

Today though, amongst stories and rumours suggesting fulham and West ham have found a breakthrough on price Issa posted a photo of him on a flight.. (not saying where to).

If all this points in the direction of him coming to us then that'd be great news in our search for a CB reinforcement with PL experience, but what player are we getting?

At West Ham he had a great first season, but has since divided West ham fans, with many saying on his day he's fantastic, but he goes missing or is lazy at times, posting videos of him in vup competitions against lower league sides getting complacent or exposed.

But whilst his game time had been more sporadic under Moyes, he's still had the odd game time, was a CB for a mid table to upper half team and can score goals alongside having height.

Whilst I'm more optimistic than anything else, it makes sense to approach with a sense of cautious optimism.

What does everyone else think?

For me to stay up we need two solid CBs, some have said Diop can be emotionally variable, which with a manager like Silva I think is fine - Reed mentioned in his Athletic interview that in his short stint to date he had come in and seen Silva improve players who'd been at Fulham a long time too.. but could Diop prove a positive addition? (Probably).

Aside from two CBs, a big step towards being a PL capable side, we'd need a winger, striker or two (depending on if muniz left on loan) and an AM at the least. Not sure we need another LB like some are saying. Think Bryan is more than intelligent to meet needs if Robinson got injured and the two deserve the chance until at least January. Their ability isn't so different to PL standard that with a potential defence of Leno, Tosin, Diop and Tete/Mbabu that we'd fall on a severe sword because of them.

But, getting back to original point, what do you think about Diop?

Hope this seems measured and less of a bashing post. I think he'll be an upgrade but not an Andersen for example.

southwest6

According to a couple of iron fans of mine, on his day he is a fantastic player but often lacks confidence. I think given his age there is plenty of room for progress so all in all i'd be very pleased if we got this over the line.

HillingdonFFC

My West Ham mates said he was immense at times in his first season but has had some shockers in recent times  They said the fact he doesn't get on with Moyes hasn't helped & hes not been happy there for a while
I think he's one of those that needs an arm around the shoulder, he'll get that from Silva. Still only 24, 'm just hoping he can reignite his career & recapture his early West Ham form, there's definitely a player in there

MartyFFC

I reckon Diop and Tosin could be a good partnership. I can see this getting done in the next week or so, just a shame it couldn't have been done a couple of weeks ago

filham

Is Diop's distribution up to the standard of Ream's.

General

Quote from: MartyFFC on August 04, 2022, 10:46:23 AM
I reckon Diop and Tosin could be a good partnership. I can see this getting done in the next week or so, just a shame it couldn't have been done a couple of weeks ago

There'd be a lot of pace and height in our back 4, which would suit Silva's style.

bencher

Quote from: General on August 04, 2022, 10:56:35 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy_uUlUToqY

He has a lot of the attributes you would want. Youtube can be frustrating when looking at CBs though, but they only show the exciting bits, e.g. a goal line clearance, a sliding tackle etc. Not the bread and butter bits, e.g. good positioning to cut out a cross or winning a header to clear a set piece.

General

Quote from: bencher on August 04, 2022, 11:05:56 AM
Quote from: General on August 04, 2022, 10:56:35 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy_uUlUToqY

He has a lot of the attributes you would want. Youtube can be frustrating when looking at CBs though, but they only show the exciting bits, e.g. a goal line clearance, a sliding tackle etc. Not the bread and butter bits, e.g. good positioning to cut out a cross or winning a header to clear a set piece.

Agreed - I tend to look at videos though as a gauge of what they're capable of - more an indicator that a tried and true. He seems to have an awkward but apt timing when it comes to using his height advantage, similar to what i've seen from Palhinha, in nipping in to take the ball away from a player just as the attacker is contemplating what to do next. We all know he's capable at scoring and getting head to ball in an attacking sense.

I'd say though, just from watching that video - is a lot of his tackles are toe pokes or interventions without control as to the next phase and does require a West Ham to pick up a loose ball, or for Diop to chase it down. The video does seem to suggest he's right footed though, when I thought he was a LB.

Key bit is he's been doing it against PL opponents. He does seem to be quite alert, multiple phases into a tackle and strong. No indication of what he's like as a passer through the lines though, perhaps that'll be more of a Tosin job.

Bryanthebroom

Might be worth looking at his stats on 'smarter scout,' that's the football analytics site the athletic uses to analyse players' attributes.

Bryanthebroom

What I get from that is that he's better at passing and much better at tackling than the average PL defender, but slightly worse at interceptions and much worse at winning aerial duels (which is strange for his height).

Bassey the warrior

Would be good to get some insight on his strengths and weaknesses from someone that knows the player. My recollection is he was signed by Manuel Pellegrini, who is a very attacking manager like Marco Silva. On that basis we can assume he can play and that would also explain why Moyes doesn't like him, he prefers the old fashioned style centre back.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: General on August 04, 2022, 10:29:55 AM

So some momentum seems to be building, though to what ends we don't yet know.

He put a simple Instagram story out saying the word 'done', then another suggesting he was in Toulouse, people started assuming he may be going back to toulouse, but it turned out its where he'd been for two weeks and grown up.

He replied to the rumours saying something along the lines of 'why is everyone making stories up'..

Today though, amongst stories and rumours suggesting fulham and West ham have found a breakthrough on price Issa posted a photo of him on a flight.. (not saying where to).

If all this points in the direction of him coming to us then that'd be great news in our search for a CB reinforcement with PL experience, but what player are we getting?

At West Ham he had a great first season, but has since divided West ham fans, with many saying on his day he's fantastic, but he goes missing or is lazy at times, posting videos of him in vup competitions against lower league sides getting complacent or exposed.

But whilst his game time had been more sporadic under Moyes, he's still had the odd game time, was a CB for a mid table to upper half team and can score goals alongside having height.

Whilst I'm more optimistic than anything else, it makes sense to approach with a sense of cautious optimism.

What does everyone else think?

For me to stay up we need two solid CBs, some have said Diop can be emotionally variable, which with a manager like Silva I think is fine - Reed mentioned in his Athletic interview that in his short stint to date he had come in and seen Silva improve players who'd been at Fulham a long time too.. but could Diop prove a positive addition? (Probably).

Aside from two CBs, a big step towards being a PL capable side, we'd need a winger, striker or two (depending on if muniz left on loan) and an AM at the least. Not sure we need another LB like some are saying. Think Bryan is more than intelligent to meet needs if Robinson got injured and the two deserve the chance until at least January. Their ability isn't so different to PL standard that with a potential defence of Leno, Tosin, Diop and Tete/Mbabu that we'd fall on a severe sword because of them.

But, getting back to original point, what do you think about Diop?

Hope this seems measured and less of a bashing post. I think he'll be an upgrade but not an Andersen for example.

Think the Leno deal getting finished helps Diop's along. The club now know what they have left to spend on starting players. Can likely afford the extra 3-4 million which will be required to move it along now rather than gambling for the end of the transfer window.

Get him done by Monday/Tuesday next week and I am feeling good about the window. Still time to get another 3-4 players in to strengthen the squad as well.

ALG01

I heard diop is a very good player and sounds like the sort of CB that would fit in here.

Woolly Mammoth

Diop is good enough for Fulham, it may depend on whether Diop thinks Fulham are good enough for him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

roberto w6

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 04, 2022, 12:35:25 PM
Diop is good enough for Fulham, it may depend on whether Diop thinks Fulham are good enough for him.

I've seen him play a few games and am totally underwhelmed. I think he'd be lucky to get another PL club (maybe Bournemouth) if West Ham decide he is not good enough for cover as 4th choice.

I'd prefer to see us throw some money at Szalai but sadly it's gone quiet.

We are in a mess at centre-half and should be looking for 2. But people who are 4th and 5th choice at mid-table PL sides don't inspire me. I'd prefer to take a punt on someone from overseas and hope they adapt, rather than take someone who has played in the PL and failed, hoping it was the system of play's fault or they have got better.