Main Menu

starting line up next?

Started by irishfulham, August 07, 2022, 04:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

Quote from: General on August 08, 2022, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on August 07, 2022, 05:40:24 PM
Quote from: filham on August 07, 2022, 04:30:11 PM
We have made six new signings and only two of them started against Liverpool. A couple more have to be worked into the starting line up soon.

I would think Leno for Rodak and Solomon for BDR are the next changes we will see. Mbabu and Duffy are going to have to be satisfied with off the bench appearances for a while.

BDR was pure quality against Liverpool, toying with them at times. Doesn't warrant a drop.

Agreed. I'd be more inclined to drop Neeskens out of the two for Solomon and think it's intended to have Solomon compete more for a position with Kebano.

He didn't look as good as BDR or Kebano when he came on. I mentioned this earlier, but he had a communication breakdown with Robinson that led to a dangerous Liverpool attack. I thought he looked okay when he came on, but he needs time to imbed with the team. If the manager thinks BDR and Kebano can replicate that performance then I don't see any changes being made.

Either way I'll go with what Silva decides. His tactics were excellent against Liverpool

General

Quote from: LC on August 08, 2022, 02:51:31 PM
We have made six new signings and only two of them started against Liverpool. A couple more have to be worked into the starting line up soon.

I would think Leno for Rodak and Solomon for BDR are the next changes we will see. Mbabu and Duffy are going to have to be satisfied with off the bench appearances for a while.

BDR was pure quality against Liverpool, toying with them at times. Doesn't warrant a drop.

Agreed. I'd be more inclined to drop Neeskens out of the two for Solomon and think it's intended to have Solomon compete more for a position with Kebano.

He didn't look as good as BDR or Kebano when he came on. I mentioned this earlier, but he had a communication breakdown with Robinson that led to a dangerous Liverpool attack. I thought he looked okay when he came on, but he needs time to imbed with the team. If the manager thinks BDR and Kebano can replicate that performance then I don't see any changes being made.

Either way I'll go with what Silva decides. His tactics were excellent against Liverpool

I appreciate that, but he did set Mitro on the way to winning the penalty with quite an adept pass. I'm not expecting Manor to surpass players just yet, but I do expect him in time to be closer to starting 11 material than not. He showed very good ball control at times and a tenacity to get the ball back. I'm not saying Neeskens and BDR don't have that, but Manor is the future potentially for us aged 23 still and has proven he can unlock the strongest defences - scoring against Real etc for instance.

I imagine there are a number of factors that will have played into Manor's performance perhaps not being as confident. He's young, it's a big stage - the PL, against Liverpool, First home game... he'll have been playing with caution and probably trying to find his feet physically but also metaphorically.

But as his confidence grows, with game time. I think he'll be a starter. But it's good competition to have. Clearly Neeskens, BDR and Solomon are up for it this year.

TheCeiling

Great post General. I expected Manor to be more sharp and confident, but after he said on the post game interview that he got Covid and missed trainings with the team, I feel better with his first performance. He clearly not fully in shape, and wasn't sharp at all (when he's sharp he could have been able to bypass TAA in at least two 1v1 situations he has had on Saturday), and he also clearly wasn't synchronized with the team yet due to lack of trainings and preseason games (one example is the miscommunication between him and Robinson which led to a dangerous Liverpool attack), but with all of that he still looked fast when I followed him closely when watching the full match replay, and in one possession if TC was tiny bit more quicker to send the ball, Manor did an off ball movement that could set him to be left alone 1v1 with Alisson. This off ball movement is something I wanted him to improve and if MS teaches him that, it will make him a more complete player.

Manor Starts his off ball movement here:

Then setting himself behind the Liverpool back line:

Excited to see him growing and showing his skills with each game. Sooner than later I believe he'll be a key player.

LC

Quote from: General on August 08, 2022, 02:56:46 PM
Quote from: LC on August 08, 2022, 02:51:31 PM

I appreciate that, but he did set Mitro on the way to winning the penalty with quite an adept pass. I'm not expecting Manor to surpass players just yet, but I do expect him in time to be closer to starting 11 material than not. He showed very good ball control at times and a tenacity to get the ball back. I'm not saying Neeskens and BDR don't have that, but Manor is the future potentially for us aged 23 still and has proven he can unlock the strongest defences - scoring against Real etc for instance.

I imagine there are a number of factors that will have played into Manor's performance perhaps not being as confident. He's young, it's a big stage - the PL, against Liverpool, First home game... he'll have been playing with caution and probably trying to find his feet physically but also metaphorically.

But as his confidence grows, with game time. I think he'll be a starter. But it's good competition to have. Clearly Neeskens, BDR and Solomon are up for it this year.

Yes, I agree. And either way, this is turning out to be a good problem to have

Tabby

Thought Solomon was surprisingly good defensively. He stole the ball a couple of times. He also played the ball that set Mitro off to win a penalty.

Very very promising first appearance.