watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosin

Started by ffc_forever, August 07, 2022, 07:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffc_forever

Him and Ream don't seem to trust each other or have a good understanding as they both seem to get drawn to the same ball - if they had talked better we wouldn't have conceded that second. Ream was dealing with it and Tosin appears and it all goes wrong.

I've been critical of Ream during the transfer window as I think he should be a bit part player BUT he looked excellent yesterday and it's Tosin that looks to create the panic back there.

One of them needs to be more commanding and they need to trust each other and not get in each other's way.

roberto w6

Like everyone, they both have their qualities and weaknesses. I wouldn't want either to leave.

If we get in another 2 quality centre-backs so that we have 5 pushing each other to the limit for the 2 places available, that would obviously be the ideal solution. That's what we need - healthy aggressive competition. No way should we be giving the impression that anyone coming in is automatic first choice. Rather the message should be : show me that you're better than him or he'll take your place.

I got to the game yesterday early and watched the 3 keepers practicing in front of the Hammy End. Interesting that it was all back-slaps between Leno and Gazzaniga and between Rodak and Gazzaniga but Rodak and Leno didn't seem to acknowledge each other, walking away or turning their backs when each was doing their routine. At first, I was disappointed and thought it was a shame. Now I think, good if there is a bit of needle between them and they keep each other hungry. Why should one be automatic first choice? Much healthier if the man in form plays and we keep more clean sheets. Not sure if anyone else picked up on it.

filham

Can't see the need for five centre backs, surely four provide 100% cover. The fourth signing needs to be top quality and not just signed to provide cover.

Cambridge Away

Christ, half of our centre back squad just conceded 3 goals in 180 mins against two of the top teams in the world (two of the champions league's last 4), and you are having a dig?

FFC1987

Ride the positive wave guys. As Cambridge said, having played the best or at least teams competiting with the best, Ream and Tosin have done a fantastic job.

Lighthouse

One performance and one result shouldn't change opinions. Ream wasn't up against a bullying forward and so reacted well. Tosin was hesitant but playing against Liverpool who wouldn't be. Duffy is a more towering brick of a centre half and will deal better with different threats. One more at the back should be enough for squad purposes.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Rock

Whether Silva has them better organized or they are still in form from last year, as one that is critical of them it is encouraging they only had ~ 2 mistakes yesterday vs. 4-5 per game of years past.

It's hard to highlight the Villarreal match without highlighting the Benfica match to be fair. We all know we can ship 4 or 5 on a bad day at the office.

I hope it continues, but would not want to bet on that continual consistency for the season, and we can in fact do better and CB is the one area we are weakest by far.

CheshireWhite

I'd prefer Tosin to start over Ream, that said, I think Ream looked great yesterday for a CB I'm convinced isn't PL standard!  :dft012:

MartyFFC

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 07, 2022, 12:01:48 PM
One performance and one result shouldn't change opinions. Ream wasn't up against a bullying forward and so reacted well. Tosin was hesitant but playing against Liverpool who wouldn't be. Duffy is a more towering brick of a centre half and will deal better with different threats. One more at the back should be enough for squad purposes.
I 100% concur with this. We all quite rightly love Tim, but let's not get carried away after one match

Milo

Just because collectively we played well doesn't mean we can't make improvements. Staying up will depend on fine margins.. a few points here or there.

I agree that Tosin currently is the weak link. Duffy may not be a landmark signing but is an experienced CB who could form a decent partnership with Ream until further reinforcements arrive? It depends on how well they can gel quickly as to whether it's worth disrupting the status Quo mid season.