watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How normal was yesterday?

Started by General, August 07, 2022, 12:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Team did really well, could've won and to a man players were disciplined and high energy. Did their job to aplomb and worked hard with and for each other.

Question is, do fans think that it is simply a one off - point to prove, home game against one of best teams on opening day, or did we look comfortable and do really well and simply look very fit?

Is that the standard we can and should expect or more a high octane one off?

And did we make Liverpool play poorly but harassing them and playing well or did the look less like they turned up?

Even though we played well by all accounts yesterday and seemingly didn't let Liverpool play and were heralded by lots of pundits and even match of the day, we still drew and had 30% possession.

So sounds like a heroic effort when put in that context to a degree?

The players seem confident, unified- even the new players - so squad transition is going well and the guys seem fit which works when you consider how we played last season and also the amount of games we played.

Are we also expecting the team and squad to get better or did you feel we started at a surprisingly high level.

South Coast White

Players always step up against high quality opposition but I feel we have a team now that can go forward after this with confidence and belief.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: South Coast White on August 07, 2022, 12:51:09 PM
Players always step up against high quality opposition but I feel we have a team now that can go forward after this with confidence and belief.

This is it right here, yea we could have won, and even at 30% possession it never felt like that and we were more than good value for a draw given both of their goals were iffy and not clear cut. If we can draw against Liverpool, in such a dominant way, why fear anyone? One first glance we don't seem to be pushovers.

Big factor is Marco Silva - an attacking mentality vs Parker's "you're going to lose more than you win" opening week statement.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Tabby

One of the reasons for the low possession stats is that we were playing very direct. No faffing about as Liverpool are good at closing down high up the pitch. Usually 2 or 3 passes max until it was up the pitch with one of the front four.

Lighthouse

One game against the Premier League and European runners up and Charity Shield holders means that we played well and they didn't. That is all it means. Does it show we have the capacity to make it a season of more than struggling at the bottom? Yes it does. Does it mean we will not go down? No it doesn't.

But it proves we should all be a little more confident and hopefully the season will be a more successful one than our recent visits to the Prem.

However will a comet hit us and wipe out the World? Everything is possible.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TheCeiling

Great questions OP. I was asking it myself the same as well.

I think what we've witnessed yesterday wasn't an accident, we've seen a fully organized team who knew exactly when and where to pass the ball, when and where to make off the ball movement, when and where to press. As long as we had oxygen in our lungs the players could carry out MS's game plan. I think our yesterdays game wasn't a fluke and I'm optimistic we only achieved some of our ceilings. Adding the new signings in and let them learn MS's system and getting used to each other and we're going to achieve even higher peaks. The jump we've made from our so-so preseason game against Villarreal just a week ago is the best evidence for me we're not at our peak yet.

General

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on August 07, 2022, 12:54:08 PM

This is it right here, yea we could have won, and even at 30% possession it never felt like that and we were more than good value for a draw given both of their goals were iffy and not clear cut. If we can draw against Liverpool, in such a dominant way, why fear anyone? One first glance we don't seem to be pushovers.

Big factor is Marco Silva - an attacking mentality vs Parker's "you're going to lose more than you win" opening week statement.

Do you think we would've won or had a much better chance of winning with Wilson on?

ffc73

Delighted with yesterday but as a natural worrier, we have to perform like that week in week out.  No point in playing like that and not beating e.g. Villa and Wolves at the Cottage.  That is exactly what Bournemouth and Leeds did and those winners yesterday are more likely to be our direct competitors during the season.

Elliott & Nunez changed the game for Liverpool yesterday.  Klopp had better options off the bench, and probably should not have started with Firmino.  The injury to Thiago actually helped them.  Up to then Paulinha and Reed bossed them.  We still need squad depth to help Silva maintain that encouraging start.

Andy S

I think a lot of Liverpool's possession was at the back and across midfield. That is why it seemed that we had more than 33% possession. New were also closing them down very quickly so it felt almost l8ke we were in possession.

Milo

I feel Marco Silva is the best Manager we've had going up to the Premiership (in terms of Premiership experience and knowing what's needed). That gives me some confidence.

The pre season gave me little confidence, and with his remarks post match the other day I thought we would be cannon fodder.

That said Paulinha and Mitro provide rays of sunshine and if Solomon can be sparky in a similar way to eg Dejegah then we could surprise a few teams along the way.

I don't think however we will be CL challengers based off yesterdays performance! But staying up.. who knows!

WindyCity

Yep, agreed.  Must also add that MS believed in his players AND formed a great "game plan" in which to play against one of the best teams in football.  And, of course, the players bought into the system as well and the belief they could compete.

Last time up we did take points off of several top clubs.  We failed miserably though v mid/lower table sides, games going into which one felt points were achievable.  I think we can all have faith/trust in MS knowing his job and what to do.  I trust MS will keep his troops hungry and disciplined and focused on the next task at hand.  And know that each and every game is a big challenge. 

I view this next game v Wolves as such a challenge/opportunity.  There is always the chance of a 'letdown' after having played a very good game.  I know it's still very early in the season, but a good test nonetheless.  COYW!!!!

OtherHodgson

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 07, 2022, 01:00:10 PM
One game against the Premier League and European runners up and Charity Shield holders means that we played well and they didn't. That is all it means. Does it show we have the capacity to make it a season of more than struggling at the bottom? Yes it does. Does it mean we will not go down? No it doesn't.

But it proves we should all be a little more confident and hopefully the season will be a more successful one than our recent visits to the Prem.

However will a comet hit us and wipe out the World? Everything is possible.

That's it, I'm taking out Comet insurance.

Denver Fulham

We're not going to play the way we did yesterday every week; that was very designed to combat what Liverpool does. So I'm wait and see. It was great to see the spirit and performance, but we still conceded twice out of mostly nothing. Need several more quality players in to make me feel good about our baseline.

hovewhite

Silva will be demanding that desire in performance every game,so yes.

filham

Prepared to admit that we played above ourselves yesterday but then we had to, after all we were playing one of the top teams in the world.

We can still go down a notch or two and match the thirteen teams outside the top six. We are not expecting to top the table this season.

Fulham Tup North

I also wonder how the match would have played out if Kebano's shot against the post had gone in to make it 2-0?
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

and so the imponderables go on. Shame he didn't score so we will never know. He needs to score as do others in the team. Can't leave it all to Mitro.

colinwhite

For me there were a number of very interesting things about the teams performance yesterday. I had heard Marco could only play offensive football and was bit inflexible in his philosophy . Well that wasn't true for a start ! Yesterday we pressed very aggressively and high withe whole team for quite a lot of the time and didn't play out from the back but went long and won a lot of second balls ,which Liverpool and others (including me ) certainly didn't expect. We didn't give Liverpool the chance press then and disturbed them by being so in their faces . The energy and discipline of all of our front 6 players was amazing and a real tribute to the work that Marco has done with the players and the atmosphere within the camp.
With the ball we were decisive and full of confidence ,daring to play a fast game and getting players forward in numbers. Brilliant.
This all bodes very well and although it is only one game seems very significant to me.
palhinha and Herrera were superb and look like fantastic signings. 
Its clear that this team is  going to be no soft touch  for any opposition.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: General on August 07, 2022, 01:07:10 PM
Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on August 07, 2022, 12:54:08 PM

Do you think we would've won or had a much better chance of winning with Wilson on?

Great question, and a tough one... it's very hard to call, but if Wilson was playing on top of his game, I think we'd have had a better chance of winning. Hard to say we'd have won if he was playing like it was a given.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Carborundum

The team look like they belong in the league.  I don't think that'a fluke.  Instead of scraping through in the playoffs, we won the league in a canter.  The players know each other.  Palhinha and Pereira are clearly high quality recruits.  If they all stay fit we will give anyone a game.

Watching MOTD last night gives a false impression that the league is full of rapier attacking and dubious defending.  That's highlights shows for you. Reality more balanced.  But several times I found myself thinking we will create plenty of chances. 

Pereira is going to be very important.