watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Did the plan go wrong?

Started by South Coast White, August 07, 2022, 09:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

South Coast White

What a great game yesturday, thought the lads were exceptional all round and really deserved all 3 points.
However, does anyone think as I did after seeing the team sheet, that with a team full of last seasons squad with exception of Palinha and Pereira, I couldn't help think that maybe MS thought we could get a hammering. This would then send a message to the board that we must invest in more depth at the back.
Well if so, it completely backfired, just hope we still get the additions in and continue as we've started.
Great all round performance and team working really well together. COYW.

Tabby

Duffy literally joined the day before and Solomon had been ill during preseason. Think Silva prefers a player that is drilled to the press rather than a more talented one that hasn't had time to be integrated. Not a lot of choice in CM, arguably Cairney but he isn't as suited to a high press game.

Only Leno and Mbabu could have started, but I think he wants to give both Tete and Rodak a chance to prove themselves. Rodak got to keep number 1 after all.

Sting of the North

Seeing as Silva is a professional I don't think he would ever set his team out to expect a hammering. I believe he thinks a lot higher of his players (all of them also professionals) than some on this board do.

Andy S

The game is as much as ever about mind sets. Silvers tactics last week saying we were not ready and his selection yesterday were all about drawing Liverpool into a false position. It worked Liverpool usually have games watched. There has been nothing to watch with behind closed doors training and matches. The games in front of an audience are about fitness and that's it.

AJW48361

Please for Rodak yesterday he done ok.I think Marco got that call spot on.

rebel

What Macro said last week was 'the players he has to work with are ready, but the squad isn't ready because it lacks 5/6 players (could actually be more). Thus the arrival of Duffy.

Yesterday was a continuation from the Championship campaign. The additions did well. 

There are clear improvements that need to be made, but that is the standard, defend from the front, defend in groups etc.

hovewhite

I think it's great at last to see someone putting his trust in last seasons squad because Slav or parker both of them binned most of the teams we went up with.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 07, 2022, 10:10:01 AM
Seeing as Silva is a professional I don't think he would ever set his team out to expect a hammering. I believe he thinks a lot higher of his players (all of them also professionals) than some on this board do.

Thats how I see it.

TheCeiling

Quote from: Tabby on August 07, 2022, 10:08:36 AM
Duffy literally joined the day before and Solomon had been ill during preseason. Think Silva prefers a player that is drilled to the press rather than a more talented one that hasn't had time to be integrated. Not a lot of choice in CM, arguably Cairney but he isn't as suited to a high press game.

Only Leno and Mbabu could have started, but I think he wants to give both Tete and Rodak a chance to prove themselves. Rodak got to keep number 1 after all.
Great post.

cmg

Quote from: hovewhite on August 07, 2022, 01:36:22 PM
I think it's great at last to see someone putting his trust in last seasons squad because Slav or parker both of them binned most of the teams we went up with.

Agree. This squad delivered one of the most impressive Championship seasons in recent memory.
Replacing those not available (with improvements) was necessary. The rest deserve the opportunity to play for their spot with the knowledge that challengers are waiting after settling in.

Surlyc

I feel like Silva wanted players to fit a high press system, hence the signing of Pereira alongside Paulinha. Paulinha also shields the CBs, something we've not had since Kevin McDonald, which will help the likes of Tosin/Ream look better. I think we might even get the chance to give Francois some gametime this season if he plays alongside Paulinha and Pereira.

I don't think Silva will be too worried about fielding 6-7 of yesterday's players week in week out, with Leno/Wilson to come in. Where we are light is on the bench: Liverpool used the 5 subs rule to great effect and we just couldn't counter. Once the inevitable injuries happen, we will need to have much better squad depth. Given those issues I'm actually a little surprised that Silva has written off Cavaleiro, as I think he'd be decent in this high work-rate system.

LC

In short, no that wasn't the plan- we came to win.

The team we put out yesterday was extremely well drilled and organised. Plus Silva is a professional.

As for transfers, yesterdays game should help new signings comes in. The fact is we have a very small squad, probably the smallest I can ever remember it being. I would expect 3 or 4 more signings to be coming in- it's a must really

blingo

+1

FFC1987

Just to add to other good posts, do you really think Silva, would risk his job and our survival throwing points away to make a point when the margins are so extremely tight in this league anyway? That point could be the difference if ya staying up at the end of the day.

Twig

Sorry but the OP's suggestion is just pie in the sky conspiracy theory.  No way would our manager approach the first game of the season (or any other) with that mindset or attitude.

colinwhite

agreed

WindyCity

Yes, this

RaySmith

Quote from: WindyCity on August 07, 2022, 04:00:15 PM

Yes, this

:plus one:

Motspur

Marco Silva's tactics were spot on. No one appears to mention the roles BDR and Neeskens played in the plan to nullify Liverpool. Whilst Paulinho and Reed were superb in central midfield it was the the role of BDR and Kebano and Antonee Robinson and Tete in nullifying the usual lethal supply via the wing backs. It was only later in the match with Nunez introduction (plus maybe Elliot assisting Salah on their right side) that opportunities started to appear.
With better centre backs we would have won yesterday's game as better defending/anticipation/communication for both goals could have been preventive. That said I'm much more optimistic in our survival in Premier League this season but feel we gave a get out to Liverpool which they didn't deserve.