more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 09/08/22...

Started by WhiteJC, August 08, 2022, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Darwin Nunez and Aleksandr Mitrovic underline revived value of the No 9

The Uruguayan shifted the Reds' focal point to immediately disrupt the flow of the game, while the Serbian is thriving once again as Fulham play to his strengths

If the main focus from Fulham will be on Jurgen Klopp wondering how his team could be that bad, and that Marco Silva's might finally have what it takes for the Premier League, the game was defined and decided by two players who could caution against any conclusions from the start of the season.

Darwin Nunez is still playing under the pressure to immediately adapt. Aleksandar Mitrovic still has to defy perceptions from his very first games in the Premier League.

Without falling into the same trap and declaring that both have immediately banished all doubts, the two strikers emphasised the restored value of their role this season – as so many more clubs go for modern No 9s – and just showed good players can still produce despite any noise.

Liverpool actually ended up greatly needing Nunez. He changed the game, by changing the gravitational centre of their team. Before the Uruguayan came on, there had actually been a flightiness to Liverpool. Roberto Firmino, another experienced head charged with starting the game, just didn't have sufficient impact. There were two good moments from the Brazilian, but that was almost the problem. He was mostly drifting in that way that has proven dangerous in the past, but here felt insufficient.

Nunez, by contrast, started to dominate everything. He was far from perfect, of course. Some touches remained off. A few decisions were poor – not least that pass to Luis Diaz when he should have shot, a classic case of a player adapting to a new team. But none of it ever got to him. He persevered, in that muscular way, which also meant Fulham just had to keep on trying to subdue him. Nunez was attracting almost every ball, and that sometimes attracted up to three of Silva's defenders.

The final equalising goal came from that. It also illustrated something else, which is the greater space he opened for Salah. Liverpool's attack looked so much more angled and dangerous once Nunez went into the centre, allowing the Egyptian to wreak havoc on that side. His goal, the flicked first equaliser, also came from a similar persistence.

"In situations like that where we don't find a way in front of goal you need this little bit extra," Klopp said of Nunez. "This difference as well makes it difficult for opponents."

Put bluntly, for a player of such force, everything fit together when Nunez came in. The team made sense. That is going to be all the more important for their first home match, next Monday at home to Crystal Palace, given the potential issues in midfield. They could be missing all of Curtis Jones, Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Thiago Alcantara, the Spanish midfielder having pulled up in this game.

Klopp inevitably denied they would go into the market.

"I have said that we don't need a midfielder because we have enough and we have actually enough. We are now punished for something that is not our responsibility. No one could imagine that Curtis gets the thing he gets but he's a young boy and gets a stress reaction. Naby is ill and he will not be back definitely again next week. Oxlade happened early and Thiago, that's not good. But a transfer must make sense now and in the long term. We have eight midfielders. It's not that we lack midfielders. They are just getting injured. But this is not a good situation. I don't like it all. For sure, we have to think how we react but not panic."

Silva wasn't panicking, but he was urging his club – once again – to go into the market. That has been one of the undercurrents of the summer at Craven Cottage, with tension growing between the manager and the hierarchy.

Silva will insist he's shown he should be backed. There's also the possibility of what Mitrovic might do with even more quality around him. He was superb on his own here. Fulham were obviously superb right across the team and across the pitch, and had so many excellent performers, but the specific nature of their gameplan still meant there were moments when Mitrovic was on his own in acres of space. He revelled in it, alternating between brilliantly holding up or so dangerously charging forward. The latter was the source of the penalty, as he outfoxed Virgil van Dijk in a moment few would have imagined, and it all complemented his more traditional game. There was some of that, too, as he powered in the first goal in vintage fashion.

There is something else to that, too, as Silva referenced. Mitrovic is about more than just goals and power.

"I know the quality Mitro has. I'm here to take the best from my players and we're doing it from the last season with all of them. Of course, he has his own profile as a football player, we have to keep believing for him to take the best for him as well, but Mitro is not just goals.

"If someone thinks Mitro is just goals, forget [it]. The job he did this afternoon [was] for the team, his pressure, helping the midfielders, helping the back line and after, if you leave it for him, he'll score.

"I have to congratulate him because the work without the ball that he did this afternoon was fantastic and he knows this from me."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-fulham-darwin-nunez-aleksandr-mitrovic-b2140431.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 'strike £17m Diop deal'

West Ham defender Issa Diop is poised for a move across the capital after Fulham and the Hammers finally agreed a £17m fee, according to reports from his native France.

The 25 year-old centre back, who David Moyes said had 'not put himself forward to play' in West Ham's recent fixtures, has agreed a five-year contract at Craven Cottage and will travel from France back to London in order to begin a medical at Motspur Park and complete the finalities of what has been another summer-long transfer saga. Diop, who starred after coming through the Toulouse youth academy and helped the French under-19s win the 2016 European Championship, was West Ham's record signing in 2018 but has struggled for regular game time recently under Moyes.

The 6ft 4in centre back has made 121 appearances and scored eight goals during his time with the Hammers, but made only thirteen league appearances last season. He has made no secret of his desire to join Fulham, posting several Instagram messages in French last week, and would become Marco Silva's second central defensive signing in a matter of days after the Whites loaned in Shane Duffy from Brighton on Friday.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/08/fulham-strike-17m-diop-deal/

WhiteJC

Fulham Set To Snap Up Issa Diop From West Ham

West Ham United have reached an agreement with Premier League new boys Fulham over the transfer of Issa Diop.

The defender was long coveted by the Cottagers as well as Lyon in his native France, but it is with Fulham that West Ham have seen eye-to-eye in the transfer market.

Fulham are on the hunt for another experienced centre-back after loaning Shane Duffy from Brighton, following the departures of Alfie Mawson and Michael Hector.

The 25-year-old is set to move from one London club to another for a sum of £17m and will sign a five-year contract with the Cottagers, according to French outlet Foot Mercato.

Diop made 26 appearances in all competitions for the Hammers during the 2021/22 season, scoring one goal and laying on two assists while earning only two cautions.

West Ham lost their opening Premier League fixture 2-0 at home to defending champions Manchester City courtesy of an Erling Haaland brace, a game in which Diop did not feature.

The Hammers will next face Nottingham Forest away while the Cottagers will travel to Wolves, both looking for their first win of the new campaign.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/08/08/fulham-set-to-snap-up-issa-diop-from-west-ham/572136/

WhiteJC

Fulham have agreed deal for signing after 'several weeks of negotiations' for player

Fulham have finally reached an agreement to sign Issa Diop, report Foot Mercato on Monday.

According to the well informed French website, in what they're presenting as their own information, Fulham have reached an agreement with West Ham after 'several weeks of negotiations' for the transfer.

Lyon had been trying to sign defender, but it's explained the Ligue 1 side hit a very big bump in the road when Marco Silva showed up with interest.

Fulham's first two proposals for Diop were rejected, yet they didn't move away from the transfer plan, and have now made an acceptable offer to the Hammers.

Fulham will be paying £17m for the 25-year-old, and it's explained he's set to sign a five year contract with the club, on condition of everything being fine with his medical tests.

There's no indication of when the medical will be held, although given he hasn't got to travel far this one should progress quickly. Silva will get his man and West Ham can be happy with the fee they've finally got.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-agreed-deal-signing-several-weeks-negotiations-player/

WhiteJC

West Ham defender Issa Diop set to undergo a medical before completing £15m move to Fulham, with David Moyes eager to bring in a replacement before the window shuts

West Ham centre-back Issa Diop is set for a medical ahead of move to Fulham 
    French defender had not made himself available for recent West Ham games
    West Ham boss David Moyes is eager to sign another centre-back this summer

West Ham defender Issa Diop is closing on his £15million move to Fulham.

Manager David Moyes revealed that the French centre back had not made himself available for recent games amid ongoing talks over a move away despite West Ham needing cover in defence.

Moyes has been eager to bring in another centre back with new signing Nayef Aguerd out for a couple of months while Craig Dawson has picked up a thigh strain and Angelo Ogbonna is still recovering from his cruciate injury.

West Ham defender Issa Diop will undergo a medical ahead of his £15m move to Fulham

Manager David Moyes revealed that Diop had not made himself available for recent games

West Ham were in for Wolves' Conor Coady but he is joining Everton and Moyes also wants a left back and midfielder.

The 25-year old Diop is expected to undergo a medical ahead of signing for Marco Silva's side.

Diop joined West Ham from Toulouse in 2018 and has made 121 appearances for the club.

In addition to Aguerd, West Ham have also signed Gianluca Scamacca, Maxwel Cornet and Flynn Downes, while goalkeeper Alphonse Areola made his loan move from Paris Saint-Germain permanent.

The Hammers commenced their Premier League campaign with a 2-0 defeat at home to Manchester City on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11091489/West-Ham-defender-Issa-Diop-set-undergo-medical-completing-15million-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Fulham have offer for Diop accepted by West Ham

Fulham have had an offer for defender Issa Diop accepted by West Ham.

Talks have been ongoing with the Hammers and a deal is now in place, with Fulham set to pay an initial £14.5m for the 25-year-old.

Diop is expected to undergo a medical and then complete a move to Craven Cottage in the next 48 hours.

Fulham are keen to strengthen in central defence, having previously expressed an interest in Manchester United defender Eric Bailly.

Last week they signed Shane Duffy on loan from Brighton.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-west-ham-issa-dip-agreed

WhiteJC

Fulham find a gem as Palhinha runs rings around Liverpool in Premier League debut

Fulham's lack of transfer activity has had Marco Silva riled all summer, but in Joao Palhinha the newly-promoted side look to have nabbed a gem.

The £20million summer signing from Sporting Lisbon could hardly have asked for a tougher test on his Premier League debut, against a Liverpool team that went so close to a quadruple last term the first visitors to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

But in a battle with the Reds' Champions League and title-winning captain Jordan Henderson, the technical genius that is Thiago Alcantara and, most dauntingly, Fabinho, perhaps the division's shrewdest defensive midfield operator, it was Palhinha who stood out, as the hosts began the season with a deserved 2-2 draw.

Palhinha's stature helps: at 6ft 3in, the 27-year-old looks much more in the Tomas Soucek or Rodri mould than the N'Golo Kante one. He was dominant in the air and strong in the tackle. But, beyond size, the Portuguese exuded a certain presence, uncowed in the face of a Red wave that so often overwhelms, as Fulham gave the visitors a taste of their own medicine during the first half in particular, when Jurgen Klopp's side struggled to work the ball through the lines and found themselves penned in.

Silva believes his countryman is especially well-suited to the demands of the English game, though it is worth noting that the Portuguese top flight is providing increasingly fertile ground for English clubs.

"Joao, in the next few games, weeks, months, will give more and more and more," Silva said. "He already showed his quality and how he can adapt. [The Premier League's] almost the perfect [style of] football for him."

Former Manchester United man Andreas Pereira also impressed on his competitive debut, but that he and Palhinha were the only members of Silva's starting XI not relegated with Fulham two years ago explained plenty of the manager's grumblings. His squad remains short on both numbers and quality and the 45-year-old was quick to stress as much.

Fulham have thrown plenty at the wall in the transfer market going into recent post-promotion campaigns and that this is the third one of those in five seasons says a fair bit about how little has stuck.

But the need is to do better, not to do less, and on first showing Palhinha's arrival shows that a club famed recently for some dismal recruitment are capable of getting it right.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-fc-palhinha-liverpool-b1017250.html

WhiteJC

ANOTHER ONE? 'It's just nonsense' – Jamie O'Hara lays into Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool boss makes bizarre dry pitch excuse after Fulham draw at Craven Cottage

Jurgen Klopp's claims that a dry pitch affected his Liverpool side at Fulham have been criticised as 'nonsense'.

The Reds boss bizarrely made reference to the Craven Cottage surface following their 2-2 draw on Saturday.

"The attitude was not right in the beginning, then we wanted to fight back, but you don't find it easy any more," he said.

Then, the German went on to add: "The pitch was dry, stuff like this."

Fulham themselves even aimed a cheeky dig at Klopp posting a picture on Twitter saying how 'lush' the grass looked.

The Liverpool boss has been known to offer plenty of excuses over the years from Alisson's cold feet, to wind, referees and television broadcasters.

Former Fulham and Tottenham midfielder Jamie O'Hara took aim at Klopp for the comments he made.

"It's ridiculous, they are making excuses and he loves an excuse, Jurgen," he told talkSPORT Breakfast. "He gets away with it quite a lot.

"I've played for Fulham at Craven Cottage. That pitch is immaculate, it is one of the best pitches you will ever play on.

"The grass is perfect, they always have it bang on. They water the pitch constantly. They even water the pitch at half-time.

"It's hot and it's going to dry out, but come on!"

He added: "Fulham went out and played really well. They went after it and I don't think Liverpool were expecting it.

"They were lethargic and had a hang over from last season. They weren't at the races and Fulham capitalised on that.

"To come out and make excuses about the pitch is just nonsense."

https://talksport.com/football/1166322/

WhiteJC

Fulham agree £15m deal for West Ham defender Issa Diop

Plus: Brentford to complete signing of Denmark playmaker Mikkel Damsgaard from Sampdoria

Fulham and West Ham United have agreed a deal worth around £15 million for centre-back Issa Diop, who was not involved in Sunday's defeat by Manchester City.

David Moyes, the West Ham manager, said the Frenchman had not "put himself forward to play" in the game, with full-back Ben Johnson instead having to fill in for the injured Craig Dawson.

West Ham are currently short of defensive options due to injuries to Dawson, Angelo Ogbonna and new signing Nayef Aguerd, but are ready to cash in on Diop.

Fulham have been desperate to increase their defensive options, with the imminent arrival of Diop coming after a loan deal was agreed for Brighton's Shane Duffy last week.

Provided a deal is completed as expected, Diop will compete with Duffy, Tim Ream and Tosin Adarabioyo for two positions at the heart of Marco Silva's defence.

Diop, 25, joined West Ham from Toulouse in 2018, for a then-club record fee of £22m. He has made more than 100 appearances for the club but fell out of favour under Moyes last season.

He will become Fulham's seventh signing of the summer, after Joao Palhinha, Andreas Pereira, Kevin Mbabu, Bernd Leno, Manor Solomon and Duffy.

The proceeds from Diop's sale will boost West Ham's transfer budget in the final weeks of the window, with Moyes still keen to strengthen further across the pitch.

West Ham have already spent around £100m this summer, on striker Gianluca Scamacca, Aguerd, former Burnley winger Maxwel Cornet, midfielder Flynn Downes and goalkeeper Alphonse Areola.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/08/fulham-agree-15m-deal-west-ham-defender-issa-diop/

WhiteJC

"I have more freedom" – Fulham's new signing happy with role given by Marco Silva

Fulham's new signing Andreas Pereira at the weekend made his official debit for the club.

Despite having a tough challenge against Liverpool, the Whites still managed to find a 2-2 draw in their first game of the season.

Pereira was satisfied with the result, and talked about it in an interview with ESPN Brasil. Following the time he had spent playing in South America, he claims he's now adapting again to the Premier League style.

"Intensity, of course, is different, here are the best teams in the world. We equalised there, we couldn't win, but the draw was of great value," Pereira told ESPN Brasil.

Still speaking of the move to Fulham, Pereira claimed to have a new role at Marco Silva's side, and is happy at being able to show more creativity on the pitch. The 26-year-old had been a central midfielder at Flamengo, and at least in this first game for the Craven Cottage side, he played a little more advanced.

"I'm playing a little more attacking, with a little more freedom. I like to play there, a position I played at Flamengo a few times. It's good for me, I have more freedom, I can attack, play more at ease."

Pereira also spoke about his time in Brazil and a potential return to the country, despite making it clear that he's happy to be at Fulham now.

"I really enjoyed my time in Brazil, I enjoyed it a lot and I intend to come back one day, for sure. Now, I had the chance to play in the Premier League, Fulham gave me that opportunity. So, for me to continue growing in my career, I still have dreams of playing like today, in the Premier."

Fulham spent €9.5m to sign Pereira from Manchester United this summer. He signed a four-year deal with the Whites.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-freedom-fulhams-new-signing-happy-role-given-marco-silva/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Silva set to sign Issa Diop from West Ham

Fulham managed to bolster their defence recently by securing a season-long loan deal for Brighton & Hove Albion defender Shane Duffy.

Another Premier League defender the west London club look "set to sign" in the words of Fabrizio Romano is West Ham United's Issa Diop in a package worth £15m after a deal was agreed this morning.

Bearing in mind how current Fulham centre-back, Tim Ream, is currently the oldest player in the squad at the age of 34 and is set to see his contract expire next summer, Diop could be seen as an ideal long-term heir for the American.

The Hammers signed the Frenchman back in the 2018 summer transfer window in a deal worth a reported fee of £22m from Toulouse.

Since then, the 25-year-old has gone on to make 119 appearances for the east London club across all competitions, chipping in with eight goals and three assists along the way.

With 94 Premier League appearances under his belt, the defender certainly has the right experience to be able to come in and be an immediate useful asset for Fulham.

His debut season with West Ham saw Diop rack up more blocks (79) and interceptions (80) than any other Hammers player, as well as the second-highest number of clearances (164), which shows the defensive talent he has and why he'd be a big help for Marco Silva's side at the back.

In fact, the former Toulouse star even wowed Jose Mourinho for one of his performances against Manchester United, which led to the Portuguese manager describing him as a "monster" on the pitch.

This highlights how capable he is of playing in the top division and why he could be the difference between Fulham staying up or heading back to the Championship.

Taking into account how Ream ended the previous campaign with more interceptions (62) and the second-highest average for clearances per game (3) in the Fulham squad, it would certainly take someone with Diop's defensive ability to be a suitable long-term heir for the veteran at Craven Cottage.

With the Cottagers now agreeing a deal to sign the player, everyone associated with the London club should be delighted at acquiring some much-needed quality at the back.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-transfer-rumours/fulham-marco-silva-tim-ream-issa-diop-transfer-news-ffc-premier-league-west-ham-united-update-gossip-rumour

WhiteJC

The Trust attend the FSA AGM

Company Secretary Simon Duke was one of the members of the Trust board that attended the recent FSA AGM. He penned this review for us of an interesting and informative day.

The FSA AGM was held at a hot and sunny Plough Lane on 16 July. The facilities were ideal and our hosts excellent. I attended in my role as a Fulham Supporters Trust representative on the FSA Premier League Network.

Attended in person by around 150 officials and members from around the country, a number of others joined by Zoom. The morning session was taken up with the usual statutory affairs and election of officers. Of note was the re-election of our own Chair, Tom Greatrex, as Vice Chairman of the FSA for a further term and the first time election of Jamie Dapaah, Fulham FC Equality, Diversity and Inclusion as an individual member. As a Trust and Club we are well represented at the FSA.

After lunch there we a number of break-out sessions. I attended one on "Women's Voice in the Mens Game". Others which I did not attend covered Diversity, Sustainability and Cryptocurrency. Facilitated by Sports Broadcaster and presenter Lynsey Hooper, this was a discussion about Women supporter's experiences in the Mens game. The session covered subjects such as what has it been like for female football fans since the return to full stadiums after Covid? Are there differences between the home and away fan experience? Why don't more female supporters take part in the mainstream, post match talk-in shows? What can we all do to make sure women feel welcome at football.

The attendees were from a wide range of Clubs, Premier League down to National League. There was also a good balanced of men and women.
The overriding view of those in the room was there is some way to go before the majority of women can feel comfortable attending Mens games.
There were many themes which came up during the discussion, the most common being:-

Facilities for female supporters, particularly toilets.
    Language used by male supporters when women are in the vicinity;
    Safety when travelling to and from games, particularly at night;
    Unacceptable behaviour mainly of younger supporters;

What was particularly interesting was that the work we as a Trust Board have undertaken over the last 18/24 months, which included a survey and focus groups, was aligned with the challenges viewed by the majority of those in the room. For us progress has already been made in addressing a number of these issues with the separate formation of Fulham Lillies and our support for the #HerGameToo initiative.  It does however remain work in progress. The FSA have committed to undertaking further work in this area over the coming year.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2022/08/the-trust-attend-the-fsa-agm/

WhiteJC

Fulham approach has 'aroused attention' of player – Return to England a 'possible reality'

Following the first reports regarding Fulham's talks for the signing of Willian from Corinthians, the Brazilian media now features some updates on the situation.

Lance today writes that 'some clubs of smaller expression in England' made approaches for the signing in the past few weeks and it was the Craven Cottage side that 'aroused attention' from the player.

It's said Corinthians will work hard to keep the winger, and despite Willian considering staying, the 'family issue' has been weighing in his move back to Europe as his wife and daughters have been finding it hard to adapt to Brazil, especially after the threats he received for poor performances at his club.

According to Lance, since Fulham's effort, a return to England 'became a possible reality'.

Another source bringing news on Willian's situation is journalist Jorge Nicola.

He claims that following Corinthians' match against Flamengo on Tuesday evening, there will be a meeting with his representatives to understand his wishes.

The reporter mentions that even though the Brazilian club haven't received any bids, that isn't a problem, since Kia Joorabchian has 'open doors' at English sides and a bid from a club like Fulham would be something 'extremely simple' for him.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-approach-aroused-attention-player-return-england-possible-reality/

WhiteJC

Sources: Fulham offered Jason Denayer after Leicester City bid accepted

Fulham have been offered Belgium defender Jason Denayer on a free transfer, sources have told Football insider.

The former Man City star, 27, is a free agent after his contract with Lyon expired earlier this summer.

Fulham are desperate to add to their defence before the close of the transfer window and Denayer's versatility means he can play at centre-back and right-back.

The Londoners suffered a blow on Sunday (7 August) when Jannik Vestergaard rejected a move after Leicester City had accepted their bid.

Belgium boss Roberto Martinez has recommended Denayer to Fulham manager Marco Silva.

Both have managed Everton in the past with Silva taking over at Goodison Park two years after Martinez left the club in May 2016.

Fulham begun their season with a 2-2 draw with Liverpool on Saturday (6 August).

Tim Ream and Tosin Adarabioyo – who were both part of the squad that got relegated from the Premier League in 2020-21 – started at the heart of Silva's defence.

Shane Duffy came off the bench in the 90th to make his debut for the Cottagers after completing a loan move from Brighton earlier this month (5 August).

As quoted by West London Sport last month (31 July) before the arrival of Duffy, Silva complained about the lack of depth in defence.

Denayer would offer good experience after playing in the Premier League with Sunderland as well as in the Champions League with Celtic, Galatasary and Lyon.

Fulham are next in action on Saturday (13 August) when they travel to Wolves.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-fulham-offered-jason-denayer-after-leicester-city-bid-accepted/

WhiteJC

Pereira enjoying Fulham 'freedom'

Following his encouraging debut for Fulham in Saturday's engrossing draw with Liverpool, Andreas Pereira has told ESPN Brazil how much he is enjoying life at Craven Cottage.

The 26 year-old attacking midfielder, who spent last season on loan with Flamengo, joined the Whites for £9.5m from Manchester United earlier this summer. Pereira, who had been on Slavisa Jokanovic's shortlist some six years ago, says he is playing in a more advanced role under Marco Silva than during his time in Brazil.

I'm playing a little more attacking, with a little more freedom. I like to play there, a position I played at Flamengo a few times. It's good for me, I have more freedom, I can attack, play more at ease.

He felt his first competitive appearance for the Cottagers went well, even if there was some frustration that Fulham couldn't hold on for a famous win over Jurgen Klopp's men.

"The intensity, of course is different [in the Premier League]. Here are the best teams in the world. We matched them [Liverpool], we couldn't win, but the draw was of great value.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/08/pereira-enjoying-fulham-freedom/

WhiteJC

Fulham handed boost in Joshua Zirkzee pursuit

Bayern Munich attacking prospect Joshua Zirkzee is reportedly open to joining Fulham in the ongoing transfer window.

According to a report by 90 min, Fulham's hopes of securing the services of Joshua Zirkzee in the ongoing transfer window have risen. The Bayern Munich attacking prospect is open to joining the Cottagers this month as he is keen on experiencing the Premier League in the 2022/23 season and beyond.

Joshua Zirkzee is one of the most talented young Dutch prospects to have emerged in Europe in the last few years. The 21-year-old spent most of his formative years in his homeland, the Netherlands, representing VV Hekelingen, Spartaan '20, ADO Den Haag, and Feyenoord. But he finished his footballing education in 2017 when he joined Bayern Munich.

The Dutch attacker progressed through the rank rapidly at the Bavarian club before making his first-team debut in December 2019. Zirkzee has progressed considerably since then, but first-team opportunities have come few and far between, and he has managed just 413 minutes of game-time across 17 outings for Bayern Munich, scoring four goals and providing one assist.

The 21-year-old has spent two loan spells away from Bayern Munich, first in the second half of the 2020/21 season at Parma, where he only managed four appearances before succeeding at Anderlecht by amassing 18 goals and 13 assists in 47 outings. And Zirkzee's next destination could be the Premier League, with Fulham keen on signing him.

The Cottagers have leapt into action in the last few weeks, signing Andreas Pereira, Manor Solomon and a few others. But it does not look like Fulham's summer transfer business has ended, with Marco Silva keen on adding to the team that held Liverpool to a 2-2 draw in the opening Premier League weekend.

Zirkzee has thus emerged on Fulham's radar, with Silva looking to bring in a backup and alternative for Aleksandar Mitrovic. If the Bayern Munich attacking prospect's exploits for Anderlecht are anything to go by, Fulham will have a promising young forward at Craven Cottage. And the Dutchman has handed the Londoners a boost.

The 21-year-old is open to joining Fulham this summer as he wants to experience the Premier League. And a permanent move to Craven Cottage could be on the cards, with Fulham likely to press hard to prise Zirkzee away from Bayern Munich this summer.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2022/08/08/fulham-handed-boost-in-joshua-zirkzee-pursuit/

WhiteJC

Jannik Vestergaard rejects Fulham offer

Leicester City defender Jannik Vestergaard has reportedly rejected the opportunity to join Premier League rivals Fulham this summer.

According to Football Insider, Leicester City star Jannik Vestergaard has rejected an offer from Fulham to join them in the ongoing transfer window.

The 30-year-old joined Leicester City from Southampton last summer on a three-year deal and has made 20 appearances for the former Premier League champions so far. The fact that he failed to make more, especially given the absence of Wesley Fofana shows that the Dane is far from a first choice for Brendan Rodgers.

Sure enough, Leicester are ready to part ways with Vestergaard and even accepted Fulham's offer for his services. The Foxes are in dire financial straits, and several of their top stars appear to be on their way out. They appear keen to cut their losses on Vestergaard, a player they paid £15 million for just last year.

Despite Leicester's willingness to do business with Fulham, the 30-year-old is having none of it and has rejected the opportunity. Unless Vestergaard changes his mind in the next few weeks, it would appear that he will remain at the King Power Stadium. The onus is now on Marco Silva and co. to change the Danish international's mind.

Fulham were impressive in their season opener against Liverpool, holding Jurgen Klopp's men to a 2-2 draw. However, it has to be observed that the Cottagers twice led before allowing an uncannily out-of-form Liverpool back into the game. It could have been much worse had Jordan Henderson's stoppage-time strike gone in rather than come off the crossbar.

Fulham must improve their defence if they are serious about staying in the Premier League. Shane Duffy is easily their best centre-back at the moment, with the likes of Tosin Adarabioyo, Terence Kongolo and Tim Ream making up the numbers.

Vestergaard is by no means a colossus who is unbeatable, but he is an improvement over whoever Fulham have in their ranks at the moment. More so, his prowess in the air also makes him a goalscoring threat on set-pieces. Fulham certainly need all the help they can get, and the 30-year-old will add quality and experience to the Craven Cottage side's roster.

Leicester, for their part, are the only Premier League club not to dip into the market this summer. With Wesley Fofana and potentially Vestergaard likely to leave the club, the former English champions have a real job on their hands in the coming weeks.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2022/08/08/jannik-vestergaard-rejects-fulham-offer/

WhiteJC

Fulham set to sign Issa Diop in £15 million deal

Fulham are close to securing a £15 million deal for West Ham United star Issa Diop.

According to the reliable journalist, Fabrizio Romano on Twitter, Premier League newcomers Fulham are set to land West Ham United defender Issa Diop for £15 million.

The Frenchman came through the ranks at Toulouse before moving to the Premier League by joining the Hammers in 2018. Diop received plenty of game time early in his tenure in east London and showed off his immense potential. Unfortunately, injuries and a lack of consistency saw him struggle to develop into a world-class player.

Now 25, he is entering his prime, and a new challenge could help rekindle his career. Marco Silva's Fulham side impressed in their season opener against Liverpool, but their defensive depth leaves much to be desired.

A centre-back is on the agenda despite the loan signing of Shane Duffy, and they appear to have landed their man in Diop. An agreement has already been reached between both the London clubs and the player will soon undergo his medicals at Craven Cottage. Unless there is a late twist in the tale, he will be a Cottager soon.

Despite landing Duffy on loan, Fulham's centre-back options are far from reliable. Tosin Adarabioyo and Tim Ream will enjoy minutes this season, but neither of them are what one calls reliable, especially not in the Premier League. Fulham were also close to landing Leicester City star Jannik Vestergaard, only for the player to reject the move.

A towering presence, Diop has defensive awareness and the physicality to hold his own at the back. Silva will be landing himself a player who still possesses the potential but will need some guidance to embrace his gifts. Diop did not play in West Ham's season opener against Manchester City and speaking after the game, David Moyes refused to give much away regarding the defender's situation.

The 25-year-old now looks set to continue his development at Craven Cottage, with a five-year deal agreed with Fulham. His legacy at West Ham will be of being English football's first concussion substitute. However, he still has age on his side and could yet turn his career around with Fulham.

The Cottagers are landing themselves a player rich in potential but rough around the edges. Whether the Frenchman will rise to the occasion and prove himself to be a dependable top-level star remains to be seen. If Fulham are to retain their Premier League status next season, Diop will have a big role to play.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2022/08/09/fulham-set-to-sign-issa-diop-in-15-million-deal/

WhiteJC

Solomon 'tears meniscus'

Fulham winger Manor Solomon is set to miss at least three months of football after tearing his meniscus in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Chelsea reserves on Sunday, according to various reports from his native Israel.

The news is a devastating blow for the 22 year-old Israeli international coming hot on the heels of an encouraging cameo in the opening weekend draw against Liverpool – and will leave the Whites scrambling avoid to ha catch.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/08/solomon-tears-meniscus/

WhiteJC

'Really, really disrespectful': Ian Wright slams what he's hearing from Liverpool man

Ian Wright slammed Jurgen Klopp's 'really, really disrespectful' comments when he stated that his Liverpool players' attitudes 'weren't right' following their 2-2 draw at Fulham on Saturday.

Liverpool were handed a shock by the newly-promoted side on the opening weekend of the new Premier League season and Wright suggested that Klopp should have given credit to the opposition, rather than coming out with his excuses.

Whilst Wright highlighted those comments, Klopp's claim that 'the pitch was dry' was the one that stole the headlines because it's something opposing fans have heard before and been critical of him saying.

Nonetheless, Aleksandar Mitrovic, who scored an incredible 43 goals last season in the Championship, picked up from where he left off by netting a brace against the Premier League title contenders.

It was a performance to remember for the former Newcastle man because, as Alan Shearer stated, he made life 'very uncomfortable' for Liverpool's backline.

Nonetheless, following Klopp's comments from the weekend, this is what Wright had to say in response, as he shared on his own podcast.

"I would have preferred if Jurgen Klopp said 'you know what, that's what you are going to expect, it's a Championship team coming up'," said Wright.

"For Jurgen Klopp to say 'the attitude of his players wasn't right'. I thought that was really, really disrespectful.

"They (Fulham) didn't do anything other than work Liverpool in every single aspect of that game. Every single one."

KLOPP HAS THE EXCUSES IN ALREADY

The simple truth is that Klopp should have taken the draw on the chin because it did probably surprise him as to how well Fulham performed.

The London club have previously yo-yo'd from the Championship to the Premier League, without showing any real signs that they can stop that rot.

Well, if they put in performances like that, then there is every chance they will remain in the Premier League because only Manchester City are better than the Reds.

Given the trouble someone like Mitrovic caused Virgil van Dijk, once again, he's come up against the best of the best, so his confidence will be through the roof now.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/09/really-really-disrespectful-ian-wright-slams-what-hes-hearing-from-liverpool-man/