Main Menu

View from Brentford

Started by terryr, August 16, 2022, 08:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Does anyone know why their supporters seem to dislike us so much?  :022:

092.gif

H4usuallysitting

They're a well disciplined team.....we need to get at them early.....draw for me

Cobh Fulham Fan

I dont know why they hate us, Or is it just a few headbangers on their supporters site who feel they have to have a rival  local team to provide rivalry and competition.

Bournemouth supporters who view this site on occasions might well ask the same question of us.   I know its not the same and we have (rightly or wrongly) the Parker factor as a form of motivation, but I couldn't help feeling at times last season that the antipathy against that club went further than Parker on this site.

Twig

Quote from: bog on August 17, 2022, 08:42:03 AM

092.gif

To be honest I don't think the majority dislike us all that much. It's a vocal minority who seem desperate to stoke up a rivalry.  I have no problem with Brentford. Smaller, well run clubs that prosper with a core of local support (and I'd include us in that) are way preferable to the antics of the big clubs with their sense of entitlement.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Twig on August 17, 2022, 09:31:26 AM

092.gif

To be honest I don't think the majority dislike us all that much. It's a vocal minority who seem desperate to stoke up a rivalry.  I have no problem with Brentford. Smaller, well run clubs that prosper with a core of local support (and I'd include us in that) are way preferable to the antics of the big clubs with their sense of entitlement.

Agree Twig, I don't see them as a local rival  more another London  derby.  They have done well and are well run.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

bog

Quote from: Twig on August 17, 2022, 09:31:26 AM

092.gif

I have to say I admire what they have done. Seventy years out of the top flight they are now not making up the numbers.  If I was a supporter I would be worried about the manager being approached.     

flyingfish

Their pressing and position against man utd cutting out playing out from the back was lethal. Need to play it long over the press (Rodak?) otherwise we will lose to a smash and grab in the same way we did to Forest last season.

Tabby

Quote from: flyingfish on August 17, 2022, 10:36:56 AM
Their pressing and position against man utd cutting out playing out from the back was lethal. Need to play it long over the press (Rodak?) otherwise we will lose to a smash and grab in the same way we did to Forest last season.

Good thing we've been te most direct team in the division so far then.

Wingnut

Think it's just a few people acting up online. Never had an issue with them in real life. They are probably on a massive high after last weekend, and rightly so.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Maidstone Lee

One of the comments was right about us getting exposed on the wings vs Wolves. Think we'll need more pace at the back to cope with their forward line, give Mbabu some game time at RB.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

The Rock

I too have never ever met a Brentford supporter in my entire life, oddly, anywhere on this earth. I am sure I'll meet a few this weekend though.

Not sure why the angst against us. I literally have zero opinion good or bad about Brentford, except they are a good footballing side and about as good as they have ever been.

terryr

Arthur

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on August 17, 2022, 11:55:36 AM
One of the comments was right about us getting exposed on the wings vs Wolves. Think we'll need more pace at the back to cope with their forward line, give Mbabu some game time at RB.

Mbabu may be selected but, if he is, it won't be because Tete was too slow. Wolves caught us out because we pushed the full backs forward in support of our attacking players and Wolves pulled a man out to the left-hand side in anticipation of a counter-attack. If anyone, it was the positioning of Tosin and, in one instance, the pace of Reed that was exposed. When Kenny stopped pushing forwards, presumably at the instruction of MS, we were okay. In the second half, our opponents didn't have a shot on target and only created one scoring opportunity.

NewYorkYank

Unless I am mistaken, this is the essentially the same team that was in the Championship two years ago and was sinking toward the drop zone last year until it signed Eriksen.  I am not saying they have not done a great job, but the suggestion I get from the Brentford comments that the team is in a different league than Fulham seems undeserved.  That said, I have always had a soft spot for the team, not through any London connection, but because of its Danish connection.  I honestly thought Jensen was going to be the next big thing for the Danish national team when I first saw him, but he seems not to have pushed on.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Samjack on August 16, 2022, 11:05:43 PM
Quote from: Zendra on August 16, 2022, 09:21:11 PM
Fulham small club ?

Not compared to them !   Bigger and better stadium . Certainly more fans .   Silverware ? - neither of us can say much on that point . I am not joking in all the time I spent working in the City , 25 years ,I never  came across a single Brentford fan - everyone else yes , even Rochdale but not one Brentford fan. Its true I never worked in the Hounslow area though I suppose .

Seem to have a good team though at the moment.

I don't think any Fulham fan would claim to be a big club... I would say our 'natural position' in terms of size and history is about 6th - 10th in the championship (25 or so clubs bigger than us?) But Brentford have got to be the smallest club ever to play in the prem by far ... Their 'natural position' is probably near the bottom of division 1... I could easily name 60+ clubs bigger than them. (That said, they got a great team at the moment, credit where it's due). But I doubt there are 10k Brentford fans in the world are there?

Nail on the head

filham

Arithmetical correction to OP, 9 wins and 9 draws will only give us a final 38 points. Sorry realistically we really still need 10 wins which seems difficult at the moment but the task will seem less of an obstacle once we get that first victory.

We need the home win against Brentford, it is a big match for us on Saturday.
COYW

Jules

They are huge rivals for us now. They really dislike us. We need to be up for it as this game is massive for us and our season.

Woolly Mammoth

Just put Brentford to the sword and settle all disputes and build on this victory along with the results in our first two matches.
We don't want to see them running round in triumph.

Targeting some matches for wins and other matches which look more difficult and are described a free hit is for mug's and losers.

Clearly people with that attitude cannot have much experience in competing in sport, and if they have they can never have won any more than a Gold Fish.

Look no further than the next game to extort three points no matter who we play.

Nothing is settled until the final whistle, and it's on the pitch when the match is on progress, that is the time to put into action the target of winning every game we compete in.
Stats won't win games, but commitment, workrate, preparation, organisation, desire and confidence will all contribute.

Not what happened last year or the last time we played a certain team.
It's all about the present not the past or the future.

Dissecting every issue of what might happen, what should or could happen to the last detail should be left to those that worry too much, nothing wrong with that if it floats your boat.

Nevertheless you have to remember that there are " Lies " then there are " Dammed Lies" and then there are "Stats".
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 18, 2022, 12:50:33 PM
Just put Brentford to the sword and settle all disputes and build on this victory along with the results in our first two matches.
We don't want to see them running round in triumph.

Targeting some matches for wins and other matches which look more difficult and are described a free hit is for mug's and losers.

Clearly people with that attitude cannot have much experience in competing in sport, and if they have they can never have won any more than a Gold Fish.

Look no further than the next game to extort three points no matter who we play.

Nothing is settled until the final whistle, and it's on the pitch when the match is on progress, that is the time to put into action the target of winning every game we compete in.
Stats won't win games, but commitment, workrate, preparation, organisation, desire and confidence will all contribute.

Not what happened last year or the last time we played a certain team.
It's all about the present not the past or the future.

Dissecting every issue of what might happen, what should or could happen to the last detail should be left to those that worry too much, nothing wrong with that if it floats your boat.

Nevertheless you have to remember that there are " Lies " then there are " Dammed Lies" and then there are "Stats".

Neat post.

blingo

I won a Goldfish once. It was with a ring thrown perfectly over a square block at a stall in the fair at Battersea Park. I was only 38 then and it made my day.

Just adding to the lies, more lies, and stats comment Mr Woolly.