watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Big pot of money buys players with no interest

Started by Andy S, August 21, 2022, 11:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

So the big clubs believe that if you spend big you get top quality. This may not be the case as the big clubs are not all going to be successful as has been shown this week. Meanwhile Fulham seem to have spent modestly and have improved our squad. Is The bubble about to burst for some of the big boys?

Jims Dentist

Good to see a sensible, measured approach after previous Premier League experiences.

Although would like so see us tap into the good Championship players as Palace, WHU have done.

RaySmith

We do seem to have spent more  astutely than before, though still a lot compared to what most of the clubs outside the top two divisions could afford, though constrained by FFP.
Not sure that the top very clubs won't continue to buy success though, even if they have  some blips along he way.

Noone buys an English football club to make money - even the City's, Man U's, Liverpool's, Geordies, etc., and he mentions MAF and Fulham too, respected author of several books about the game David Goldblatt, says in this interesting article from this week's Observer - found on the Guardian website.

This the article's beginning-

"Last week, the Premier League announced a $2.7bn (£2.3bn), six-year American TV deal with Comcast NBC, a sum that will push the league's annual turnover above £6bn and marks the moment at which income from foreign media rights income exceeds domestic income. It is a fitting marker for the league's 30th season and its three decades of hyper-globalisation. First, the Premier League's global TV audience outstripped domestic viewership. Then the entirely foreign XI fielded by Chelsea in 1999 announced the globalisation of the league's labour market; foreign players now make up around three-quarters of the club's squads. Foreign coaches, once entirely absent, are now in the majority, as are foreign owners, who hold majority stakes in 16 out of the 20 clubs.

The league has benefited from an income-sharing model among the clubs that ensures, if not widespread competition for the top spots, a fiercely competitive league on a game by game basis, as it has from astute marketing, world-class broadcasting and the value of English as a global language. But it is economic globalisation itself that has been the main driver, generating an upward spiral of growth. Over the past 30 years, seemingly impervious to the global financial crisis, austerity and Brexit, the league's annual turnover has soared by an astronomical 2,900%."

joef

Quote from: Jims Dentist on August 22, 2022, 12:02:03 AM
Good to see a sensible, measured approach after previous Premier League experiences.

Although would like so see us tap into the good Championship players as Palace, WHU have done.

I whole heartedly agree! There's been quite a few players over the last 5-6 seasons I've thought would cut it in the Prem. It also seems to me a prudent way to spend because if they rise to the challenge you have a player grateful of the opportunity, maybe a modicum of loyalty and with something to prove. If your gamble doesn't pay off and you end up in the Championship again you know you have players who can cope in that league.
Players like Eze, Bowen, Hughes, Maddison etc are all that mold.

H4usuallysitting

There's some very good player's in the championship that'll cut it in the prem

General

Not sure I buy into the OPs point. Would make Haaland and Jesus signings need to be included, but they're showing they care and working hard but also producing the goods.

Those are just two very simple examples.

Cobh Fulham Fan

if we are to believe all the stats in that article, then the greatest league in the world as we know (knew) it, is no longer English. Well, apart from where its played!

RaySmith

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on August 22, 2022, 09:58:26 AM
if we are to believe all the stats in that article, then the greatest league in the world as we know (knew) it, is no longer English. Well, apart from where its played!

The full article actually argues actually argues that the Englishness of the game is an important part of the game's appeal,  though owned, and with many players, manager, etc., from abroad.
It's here is anyone wants to read it -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/21/yes-elite-football-plaything-global-wealth-but-could-be-part-of-another-better-england

Rupert

Quote from: Jims Dentist on August 22, 2022, 12:02:03 AM

I think this idea is one you can only really afford once you have established yourself in the division. As
Palace and the bubble blowers have done. It is less of a risk bringing them into a squad that is already good enough to stay up, rather than one you hope is good enough.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

The Rational Fan

The simple economics of supply and demand says that "the most expensive players are the ones that everyone wants". It's true there are always unwanted players that will prove to be brilliant, but nearly all unwanted players that other clubs want to sell that no one wants to buy have their low price for a reason. For example, Rodak, Ream, Hector, Mawson, Onamah, Caverlio and Seri are all fairly cheap, not only we know why they are cheap but also we know that at least one of them will be a bargain.

LC

It's no coincidence that when the larger PL clubs started to play more English players our national teams form started to improve. We've seen the top 4 teams bring through players like ATA, Saka, Foden, and Mount

I personally think PL teams should aim to field 5 home grown players. We have the best facilities in the world for players to develop and aiming for 5 in the starting 11 is achievable, although naturally aggressive. I'm not sure what the number should be, but I do think a certain number of home grown players/English or British players, should be in the starting lineup.

I think the PL can still develop and attract a lot more wealth for a whole host of reasons. One of which I believe the 'football blackout' will eventually come to an end and therefore a lot more matches will be televised which ultimately means more money. This doesn't have to be a bad thing for the football pyramid. You can start PL matches at 3:30pm instead of 3pm, and start non-league games earlier. You could also reserve a large chunk of the new revenues generated from the end of the 'football blackout' for the non-league clubs- it would actually result in a real investment for the smaller clubs.

toshes mate

Put another way players interested in big pots of money don't necessarily care about anything else. 

I guess that has always been true about the kinds of people it refers to and not just in football or any other sport, and I guess that is why every club needs someone with a psyche that can suss out these guys out before any damage is done.  Such skill can also determine just how committed a professional is in improving themselves to everyone's gain.  To not have such a person involved in recruitment due process can only make mistakes more likely.  This logic can also be applied to any jobs viz coaches, physios, and even stewards were security etc. taken to be serious and professional needs and not just necessary adjuncts.  This is Team 101 stuff as Tim Ream and others will tell you.   Get the right leaders and you get the right followers. 

Cobh Fulham Fan

Liverpool had double the amount of English players on the pitch than United last night.  Is there a lesson in there from the score line?

Whitesideup

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on August 23, 2022, 11:42:16 AM
Liverpool had double the amount of English players on the pitch than United last night.  Is there a lesson in there from the score line?
Maybe the fact that the average age of the Liverpool midfield was that much higher? Maybe that Utd had left some of their older, more established players on the bench? There are stats and stats .. depends which ones you want to choose. The difference for Utd was that they played as if they wanted to win rather than if they expected to win.

Jim©

I think that many footballers, even those with wealth unimaginable to the normal person, have an inbuilt will to win.
I'm over generalising here but: lots of the top players had tough upbringings in tough areas of S America, Paris, London etc. Not only did they have the ability to rise to the top, but the drive, determination to win and shoulders broad enough to take a few knock backs.
From their early days playing in those areas, they've had to be the best, win everything, be the only one as a scholar who gets a contract (out of 100). For some easing off and losing that drive may happen, but for many, it's inbuilt and it won't dissappear.

Somerset Fulham

You have to be driven and utterly ruthless to play at the top level, no question. I don't buy into this  soft cenrted rubbish that is trotted out by people just becuase they are well paid.

They have spent their entire lives aiming for it and have literally beaten million upon million of people to get there.