more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham’s Crest

Started by McBrideOfFrankenstein, August 24, 2022, 10:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Afternoon all,

I'm a US-based Fulham fan who has loved the club since the early aughts. I am curious about this board's thoughts on the current FFC crest. It's easy to understand why it was adopted in 2001 — it is sleek and modern and more graphically legible than other more detailed credits, so ostensibly better for "branding." 

I am bound to support the crest, because it's Fulham's, but if I am honest I don't love it. It lacks personality, and the angled and overlapping FFC lettering imo is vaguely reminiscent of some not-great historical military graphic design.

I've always admired the figurative elements on many other EPL & EFL crests — dragons, flora, castles, hats, sheep, etc — and honestly wish ours featured similar elements relevant to Fulham's long history.

Curious whether any of you ever have similar thoughts.

As most here will know, as recently as the late 90s we had a more detailed crest, as seen at the link below.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/club/history/club-crest/

ffcthereligion

I agree with you I dont like it either, the 90's badge was lovely

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

the simple 1972 crest is my favorite

WhiteJC

blingo

I'd have that back tomorrow

perry geyton

I.M.O.
It's cheap and It looks like someone designed it in 2 minutes on a computer, which they probably did, but you can see it from a mile off

The crest is class but not so visual from a distance plus a lot of other clubs had similar crests

The 1975 FFC badge works both ways for me but still looks like someone Drew it in 5 mins

Personally the crest is my favorite, the early 80's colored one I'm referring to on the white and black adidas shirt

WhiteJC

The 1898 Fulham Football Club badge.

This team badge appeared on Fulham shirts in 1931, this being a representation of Craven Cottage, this badge was used until the outbreak of the 2nd World War in 1939.

After the War, a new crest was introduced in 1945, which was a copy of the coat of arms of the London Borough of Fulham. The earliest versions had the crest emblazoned on a red shield with the team name directly below in a stylised ribbon. After 1951 the badge was slightly amended by reducing the size, changing the red background to white and removing the legend below the shield.

This classic design was worn until 1972, by this time the coat of arms was deemed old fashioned and was replaced by a a more up to date FFC monogram.

The monogram was subsequently replaced in 1981 by a simplified version of the Hammersmith & Fulham coat of arms. After only one season this was replaced by a circular badge, however it was reinstated a few seasons later in 1984.

In 1995 a new crest was introduced that was effectively a modern coloured take on the 1945 version simplified for easy mass reproduction.

In 2001, a new shield with an angled red FFC on a black and white striped background was introduced for the first Premier League campaign.

Woolly Mammoth

I feel the 2001 version is shallow and without any character compared to its illustrious predecessors.
Who ever designed it must have completed it in their tea break, and were probably rewarded with a nice little earner. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 25, 2022, 12:40:39 AM
I feel the 2001 version is shallow and without any character compared to its illustrious predecessors.
Who ever designed it must have completed it in their tea break, and were probably rewarded with a nice little earner.

Strong agree.

Does anyone know the significance of the ship atop the helmet? I'd favor a return to some form of that crest, probably updating it somewhat but retaining the main elements. Maybe once we are firmly reestablished in the prem :)

FulhamKC

Quote from: whitejc on August 25, 2022, 12:31:55 AM

This classic design was worn until 1972, by this time the coat of arms was deemed old fashioned and was replaced by a a more up to date FFC monogram.

This is by far my favorite historical crest but I like the current one too.

Funny story, I was at a youth soccer tournament with my daughter when I saw team with a WFC crest in the exact same design as our current one. I asked a parent of that team (from Wichita, Kansas) about it and they said that the team's coach was a Fulham fan!

kiwian

Quote from: FulhamKC on August 25, 2022, 03:33:07 AM

Funny story, I was at a youth soccer tournament with my daughter when I saw team with a WFC crest in the exact same design as our current one. I asked a parent of that team (from Wichita, Kansas) about it and they said that the team's coach was a Fulham fan!
My favourite too, clear and simple.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

fulhamfan

started going to Fulham with my dad in the very early 90s so the old coat of arms badges i will always love.
I've since grown to like the new badge over the years. it's actually aged very well and still looks very sleek and modern. its also been with us for the premier league years and our europa league run which has been our most successful in the clubs lifetime  so the memories with this badge are fantastic
Seen a lot of teams change their badges since to be more simplified like we have so I think we were trailblazers in that regard.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I don't claim to. Be 100% correct but I believe the old crest which was that of the old Fulham Borough was made up of the crossed swords and mitre representing the Bishop of Fulham, the blue and white wavy lives representing the Thames , and the ship on top representing the Danish settlers who came up the Thames and settled in the area where Bishop's Park now is.
Something like that anyway.

Fulham 442

Quote from: fulhamfan on August 25, 2022, 08:29:55 AM
started going to Fulham with my dad in the very early 90s so the old coat of arms badges i will always love.
I've since grown to like the new badge over the years. it's actually aged very well and still looks very sleek and modern. its also been with us for the premier league years and our europa league run which has been our most successful in the clubs lifetime  so the memories with this badge are fantastic
Seen a lot of teams change their badges since to be more simplified like we have so I think we were trailblazers in that regard.
I've also grown to like the new badge for all the reasons you state.  It is also easily recognised, which I also like.

filham

We had a long debate when the present crest was introduced and a lot of us felt there was nothing to link it Fulham.
However it is straightforward, easily recognised and has been around for a while now so in my opinion is best left as is.

hovewhite

Quote from: FulhamKC on August 25, 2022, 03:33:07 AM

mine to all time fav.

Wolf

I hated the current badge when introduced, but over the years I have completely changed my mind about it. As others have said, instantly recognisable, good use of key colours, and it looks contemporary now. Stoke City got their current badge at the same time, and whilst not dissimilar its much weaker than ours.

I loved the 90s crest.

The 70s monogram is really lame IMHO, terribly dated.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

legana

They all look better than the current effort, which I agree looks cheap and without character. There were some decent efforts I saw on Twitter recently that somebody had put together - more simplistic than the elaborate previous crests but retaining some of their character, which I think worked really well.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Fulham 442 on August 25, 2022, 09:40:43 AM
Quote from: fulhamfan on August 25, 2022, 08:29:55 AM
I've also grown to like the new badge for all the reasons you state.  It is also easily recognised, which I also like.
...which is the key.  So many of the forerunners could be any club.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Mr White

I'd love to see the 1898 badge back on our shirts.But then I'm just old school.