News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do we have the best club colours of any team?

Started by Cambridge Away, August 28, 2022, 06:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambridge Away

I mean, it's a classic look isn't it, white and black? Perhaps i am biased.
White shorts also looks good (when we do wear them). It reminds me of a traditional school PE kit, like in Chariots of fire (coincidentally filmed at our Motspur Park training ground), or some old cricket team (an ode to our club's roots).
I don't know how dirty Leeds manage to make an all white kit look so bad.
Why don't more teams have plain white shirts? I can only think of us, Leeds and Spurs. Luton now wear red of course. Was it considered more distinguished in the old days to use colour when printing clothes for this sort of thing? Or, maybe colour was better for covering grass/mud stains?
I always feel sorry for teams who have stripes (even before considering whether you can read anything on it). Black and white stripes looks ok. Red and white doesn't. Sorry Brentford.
Thinking about it, has a team in stripes ever won much? Juventus? I guess you could make that argument for a team wearing white shirts too.
Despite my hatred for Chelsea i've always liked the colour of their kit. And same for Man Utd for some reason.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I used to play for Midland Bank
Chocolate, green and gold. - Horrible!

Additional comment.   I have just seen that it was not unlike the Man Utd 1992-94 kit.

White Knight

Quote from: Cambridge Away on August 28, 2022, 06:43:19 PM
I mean, it's a classic look isn't it, white and black? Perhaps i am biased.
White shorts also looks good (when we do wear them). It reminds me of a traditional school PE kit, like in Chariots of fire (coincidentally filmed at our Motspur Park training ground), or some old cricket team (an ode to our club's roots).
I don't know how dirty Leeds manage to make an all white kit look so bad.
Why don't more teams have plain white shirts? I can only think of us, Leeds and Spurs. Luton now wear red of course. Was it considered more distinguished in the old days to use colour when printing clothes for this sort of thing? Or, maybe colour was better for covering grass/mud stains?
I always feel sorry for teams who have stripes (even before considering whether you can read anything on it). Black and white stripes looks ok. Red and white doesn't. Sorry Brentford.
Thinking about it, has a team in stripes ever won much? Juventus? I guess you could make that argument for a team wearing white shirts too.
Despite my hatred for Chelsea i've always liked the colour of their kit. And same for Man Utd for some reason.

I prefer the all white kit myself.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Love the black and white colors, but I truly believe the crest needs updating, as I said on a recent thread.

The angled, plain FFC lettering just does not fit Fulham's identity. Need a crest with some meaning and some history.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on August 29, 2022, 12:25:53 AM
Love the black and white colors, but I truly believe the crest needs updating, as I said on a recent thread.

The angled, plain FFC lettering just does not fit Fulham's identity. Need a crest with some meaning and some history.
I've just repiied there

General

Hmm, I'm not sure many teams wearing black and white ever tend to win anything of significance. For some reason teams who do tend to wear red and blue predominantly.

Chelsea, arsenal, man utd, Leicester City, Notting forest, man city even Blackburn with their half and half.

Then you've Portsmouth who've won a domestic cup, Wigan..

Those are arguably the best colours.

I think subconsciously red in particular stands out as a colour of fear and blue is cold and may have some undue added impression on players. I think red in particular is also a sharper colour on the eye and makes a player stand out more in peripheral vision which may help with top teams and sharper passing - with speed counting for a lot at the top level.

Only clubs that can do and do tend to buck this trend have huge wealth.

Newcastle will, real Madrid.

But even if you go across other leagues - bayern and Barcelona, atheltico Madrid.. red seems to be the most dominant winning colour.

Add to the top club wear red - olympiakos, fc basel?, psv, ajax..

In fact it becomes pretty ubiquitous.

Psg wear blue.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

In the old days of Tom Finney ,  Preston North End we're quite a successful black and white team.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on August 29, 2022, 12:56:38 PM
In the old days of Tom Finney ,  Preston North End we're quite a successful black and white team.

Preston same as Spurs and Bolton..Navy Blue shorts.

RaySmith

Derby have had great success, playing in black and white.

H4usuallysitting

Steeeeeeeeeed

We look like Classic Germany..I like our classic look White Shirts and Black shorts is perfect

cmg

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on August 29, 2022, 01:30:31 PM
We look like Classic Germany..I like our classic look White Shirts and Black shirts is perfect

Nothing better, although as an old fogey I would like to ditch the black collars, which made their first appearance for the 1975 final  and have been with us (bar a couple of seasons) ever since.

filham

Yes our black and white is classic , please lets have nothing but gentle modifications to the basic colours.
Some team shirts these days are a disaster where shirt designers have been given freedom and attempted to be artistic and eye catching.

ron

An all white shirt with any designs limited to changes in texture ( eg a matt design on a silken background) and a tasteful logo woul be my choice....

......and of course the multi coloured borough crest reinstated !

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on August 29, 2022, 01:30:31 PM
We look like Classic Germany..I like our classic look White Shirts and Black shirts is perfect
With a Swastika badge!  :022: Perhaps Al Fayed was trying to tell us something?  :023:

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I don't know how many times we have discussed on here the question of Traditional badge v logo and I think it is a question of modern marketing.
Yes, it could be said by some that our logo resembles a Swastika  but it is instantly recognisable and easy to produce..

I spot anyone wearing the modern logo and I am not sure that I would with the old badge without being close..

I say that despite my Dad having been Mayor if Fulham and I still have his old replica Borough badge presented to retiring Mayors.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on August 29, 2022, 06:38:32 PM

"Yes, it could be said by some that our logo resembles a Swastika but..."

I think this is what's known in horseracing as starting gate fall.

cmg

Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on August 29, 2022, 07:02:51 PM

Yes. Not a great marketing ploy.
However the US Army's 45th Infantry Division, who gained a fine fighting reputation in WW2 and Korea, wore the swastika (apparently a Native American symbol) on its shoulder badge for the first 10 years of its existence. Events in Europe led to this being replaced by the more appropriate Thunderbird in 1939.

cookieg

Quote from: cmg on August 29, 2022, 07:27:27 PM
Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on August 29, 2022, 07:02:51 PM

Yes. Not a great marketing ploy.
However the US Army's 45th Infantry Division, who gained a fine fighting reputation in WW2 and Korea, wore the swastika (apparently a Native American symbol) on its shoulder badge for the first 10 years of its existence. Events in Europe led to this being replaced by the more appropriate Thunderbird in 1939.

I think it is more an ancient Hindu symbol.