WhiteJC

Jack and Loz Away From the Cottage - Blog 224
Date: 27th August 2022

Venue: the Emirates Stadium
Opposition: Arsenal
Score: 2-1
Fulham goal scorer: 🔥
Weather: very warm and sunny

Atmosphere: we've been to the Emirates before but this is the first time we've experienced something approaching a London derby atmosphere there. Arsenal might be sitting pretty at the top of the league but the Club and fans welcomed Fulham as rivals not as non-starters
MOTM: it seems odd to single out the defence in a match we lost but we were hugely impressed with Bernd Leno on Saturday; a close runner up was Tim Ream living with yet another world class attack. Finally, there was a third outstanding defence performance. From Aleksandar Mitrovic
Restaurant: we had lunch at Mesi's Kitchen on Holloway Road. The Ethiopian cuisine was unusual and delicious

Fulham have had a very good start the season - 5 points on the board after only 3 matches, and it could have been more. So on Saturday the 3,000 "travelling" fans approached a daunting test with expectation rather than terror. We wanted to see how our tough and trenchant team stood up to a side at the top of their game, we wanted to see if Mitro could keep up his already impressive Premier League scoring record and, frankly, we all love this team so much and we just wanted to watch them play again.

The first half was goalless, but not dull. Arsenal started strongly but Fulham weren't overrun. In fact, as the half went on, we started to look very much at home on the big, smooth pitch and very comfortable amongst some of the best players in the league. The defence were solid to the point of infallibility. We've already praised the sharp and decisive Leno and the calm, unflappable Ream, but after a shaky start, Tosin grew into the game.

Arsenal looked dangerous down the wings but Tete and Robinson raced up and down limiting them to snatched crosses and half chances. Palhinha was everywhere he needed to be, and Harrison Reed was just everywhere.

Our hosts thrashed us in terms of possession and may have just edged us in terms of the amount of attacking play but we were justifiably level at the break. We didn't look out of place in the best company and we were proving ourselves to be tricky opposition. The first half had really just been a waiting game. But not just for Arsenal.

In the space of 4 games, Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic (as he is known in intentional commentary) has gone from the man who couldn't cut it in the Premier League to the man every Premier League fan (not to mention every Premier League centre back) fears most. In any match, it's already becoming a question of when, not if, he will score.

We all know (and our rival fans are beginning to realise) how deadly he is on the end of a cross or a pass into the box. But on Saturday we saw something different - Mitro the poacher. He anticipated the defender's mistake, made him panic with his presence, wrestled the ball off him, took one touch then steered it around the onrushing goalie. All in the space of about 2 seconds.

And that celebration right in front of us. Ah, be still our beating hearts......

The thing about Andreas Pereria is that the thought that he might not be as good as his opponents never enters his pretty blond head. And nor should it. He really is as good as he thinks he is and, in all probability, now he feels wanted and appreciated in his new home, he's only going to get better. His playful imitation of Mitro's celebration (everyone's at it these days) and his beaming smile said it all.

Of course, Arsenal are at the top of the league for a reason. They wobbled in the unfamiliar position of going behind but Arteta steadied his ship and there were no more mistakes. However, they needed a dose of luck for both their goals and, had Ramsdale not been keen to remind his bosses that he had been first choice ahead of Leno, the score may well have ended 2-2. They were lucky too with some of the ref's decisions and that our best chance fell to Chalobah and not someone more flammable.

For once, Marco shuffled the pack as much as he could by using all 5 subs, including making a rare defensive sub by bringing on Diop. His profligacy with his replacements may not have been the right decision - Tom Cairney was lively and instrumental but Mbabu seemed out of his depth. However, the players were tiring (except Harrison Reed obviously) and have to play again with no rotation on Tuesday.

This was an entertaining trip to north London and we came away impressed rather despondent. This team don't look like relegation candidates. They are doing so much right and we know there is so much more to come.

Random musings:-

- This week we've played the team 91st in the league (been there) and the team who are 1st (been there too). Suffice to say, Marco picked the wrong team for the right reasons to play Crawley....

- ......and the only team he could actually pick to play Arsenal

- The Arsenal fan's main chant was "Arsenal". That's it. Literally just one word. Can you even have monosyllabic chant?

- The Fulham fans (although we do say this ourselves) were absolutely magnificent

- 250 appearances for Tom and 100 goals for Mitro, both amazing achievements

- Did the Friday night text conversation end, "Don't worry. I'll wear dark grey trousers and then we'll look completely different" ?

- We love the heart shape Ukraine badges

- Arteta must dye his hair? Surely?

After flying high in the table last week we have sunk to mid table mediocrity but there is no shame in that. Our next matches are going to be very tough but we know the team will rise to the challenges. We still desperately need reinforcements and the Fulham medical team are in for a week of all-nighters. But if the next crop of new signings are like the last then we're going to hit September strong and ready for whatever is thrown at us with Wilson and Solomon still to rejoin.

There are few greater sporting compliments than an opponent being ecstatic and relieved to beat you. At one stage the Arsenal fans were singing Who Are Ya?

We are Fulham. We've got the best striker in the league. And get used to us because we're going nowhere.

https://werdsmith.com/p/3JeGJFrTE5GqvB

WhiteJC

Silva seethes after 'lucky' Arsenal snatch late win
An unhappy Marco Silva rued two 'lucky' Arsenal goals as the Gunners came from behind to ensure there was more late heartbreak for Fulham at the Emirates last night.

The Whites looked on course for a first-ever away win at Arsenal when Aleksandar Mitrovic punished a mistake from Gabriel to grab his hundredth Fulham goal, but the visitors were beaten at the death after the Brazilian's late winner was allowed to stand by referee Jared Gillett and VAR following a deflected leveller from the outstanding Martin Odegaard. Silva was still seething at the decision to allow the goal afterwards and felt his side deserved more from another absorbing encounter.

The Portuguese boss told his post-match press conference:

"It was a tough, tough result. They didn't have many clear chances, they had two goals and both were lucky goals... the way they scored the first goal with the deflection is really bad luck and we don't know how they scored the second.

Credit for our players, they deserved more than we took from this game. Arsenal's obligation was more possession, more shots, more corners, but I didn't see many clear chances from them. My players deserve to get something more from the game. They are confident, creating so many chances against the teams we have played so far."

The Fulham head coach also reiterated that he was hoping for several new signings before the end of the transfer window on Thursday night.

"Everyone who sees football or understands football can see that. We don't have wingers on the bench, we don't have a [senior] striker on the bench. I'm not here to find excuses, but at this level you have to have more solutions."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/08/silva-seethes-after-lucky-arsenal-snatch-late-win/

WhiteJC

Arsenal 2-1 Fulham: Player ratings
Olly runs the rule over Fulham's performances as they came desperately close to a terrific result at top of the table Arsenal last night

Bernd Leno: So close to a perfect performance against his old club, he made a brilliant one on one save to deny Saka in the first half, and followed it up with a number of decent saves and commanding catches in the second half. Some have suggested he should do better with the first goal but I think that's very harsh. However, I feel he should be doing better with the second, he came for the ball but failed to deal with it resulting in Gabriel tapping home a scrappy winner. 7.5

Kenny Tete: He had a tough challenge today to keep in-form Martinelli quiet but he did exactly that, cutting the ball out and making some solid challenges to frustrate Arsenal's left sided attack. Positionally i felt he got it spot on today, pushing forward when needed but always being back to deal with Arsenal's attacking threat. 8

Tosin Adarabioyo: Fantastic in the air and in the tackle today and did really well to close down shots and prevent Arsenal's intricate play in and around the box lead to any clear cut chances. The only criticism I have is there were moments where he tried the risky pass or wanted too long in possession which could've seen us get into trouble. 7.5

Tim Ream: Another stellar performance from Ream, he was seemingly everywhere in the backline today. What impressed me most was his ability to read the game, on numerous occasions he swept up after the ball found it's way past Robinson or Reed and Palhinha in the middle, made some great interceptions and vital tackles including a brilliant one on Jesus where we feared he may have picked up a back injury. Equally he was calm and measured in possession. My man of the match today. 8.5

Antonee Robinson: Like Ream, this is a player who some had concerns about but he's really stepped up and performed excellently once again. His first half performance was almost faultless and it wasn't until late in the second where Arsenal were finally getting some luck and space down their right wing. 8

Harrison Reed: Dealing with Odegaard seemed like an impossible task today and it's one Reed struggled with slightly which he can't exactly be berated for! He still provided a solid display and was in amongst the tackles throughout the game but struggled to successfully press their key man in the middle. He also very nearly provided an assist to level the game as his pinpoint free kick found the feet of Chalobah who was denied by Ramsdale. 6.5

Joao Palhinha: A very harsh yellow card means he's now just one away from a suspension which will spell trouble for us no matter who we're playing against. Once again he was a vital player, his ball winning ability is second to none and his height in the middle of the park was a real asset at the Emirates. He also struggled to contain Odegaard but felt he just had that little extra in the tackle and in the air over Reed today. 7.5

Andreas Pereira: This was a tough game for Pereira, with us being pushed so deep he frequently found himself on the ball with little space and no real outlet but I felt he did well to hold the ball, win throw ins etc. when he was waiting for options. He wasn't afraid to get stuck in and do the dirty work today either. 7

Bobby Decordova-Reid: I felt he struggled to get forward and into the game much as I'd have liked to see but he really helped out Tete at the back and made it difficult for Arsenal to find the time and space they needed to create significant chances. 6

Neeskens Kebano: Back from injury after missing last time out against Brentford and it was good to have his direct approach on the pitch today. His end product was lacking somewhat including a fresh air kick in a really promising position in the second half and a successful ball into Pereira could have seen us find the net but it wasn't to be. However, he wasn't afraid to carry the ball forward and take players on which was key in giving our defence a much needed break from the relentless Arsenal pressure. 7.5

Aleksandar Mitrovic: That's four in four for him now and 100 goals for the club. His goal today epitomised his performances under Marco Silva, his work rate is tireless and the way he presses and works to hold the ball up impresses me every game. He saw an opportunity to close down Gabriel and did really well to win the ball and finished tidily into the bottom corner whilst being pulled back. It was certainly well celebrated in the away end! 8

Substitutes:

Tom Cairney: He came on to make his 250th appearance for the club and did really well during a tough period in the game. It was 1-1 and Arsenal were pushing hard but he managed to win the ball a number of times in the middle and also carry it forward well and take off some pressure. 7.5

Kevin Mbabu: A tough time for him to come on, with 10 minutes remaining it was always going to be hard to contain Arsenal's attack and he really struggled with that. Martinelli was finding more space for the first time in the game and that right back position was being exploited 5

Issa Diop: After a torrid debut on Tuesday Diop was brought on to help us cling onto the draw which we unfortunately failed to do, I don't feel Diop made any significant contributions in his time on the pitch. 5.5

Nathaniel Chalobah: Although he was only on for a few minutes he did manage to get stuck into a couple of challenges and he found the target late on but was met with a decent Ramsdale save. 6

Jay Stansfield: With little time on the pitch he didn't manage to get on the ball much and make an impact. 5

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/08/arsenal-2-1-fulham-player-ratings/

WhiteJC

Mitro: Left Everything Out There

Aleksandar Mitrović was disappointed with the manner of Arsenal's goals on Saturday, but promised Fulham gave everything at the Emirates.

Mitro's 100th goal in black and white had us in front in North London, but a deflected Martin Ødegaard strike and a tap-in from Gabriel meant we left empty handed.

"We knew they were going to storm out from the dressing room, from the first minute they were going to try to get the fans behind them, try to press us," Mitrović stated.

"The first target was to stay in the game, survive in the first 15-20 minutes, and then the space will open.

"We managed to do that first half, second half I think we came out a little bit better, we played with more freedom, we created a few chances. We found space in between the lines and we were really dangerous.

"We scored a goal and after that we sat a little bit deeper and they were coming, they were pressing, and I think we could have managed a few situations a little bit better, but in the end it was two unlucky goals.

"The first was a rebound that I think Bernd would have saved [if it had not deflected]. The second one, two players ricocheted, the ball's dropped, and it's a little bit unlucky, but that's football.

"Last week we scored last minute, this time we concede in almost the last minute. We'll learn from our mistakes and we'll move on.

"It's a tough place to come, they're a good team, they play with a lot of intensity with some young, quality players, so it was a big challenge for us but I think we left everything out there."

On what was only his 181st appearance for the Whites, Mitro brought up a century of goals when he picked Gabriel's pocket and coolly slotted beyond Aaron Ramsdale.

"It sounds nice, and I'm really happy to score 100 goals for this beautiful club, and hopefully there will be many more to come," the big man said.

The lazy voices claiming that Mitrović cannot perform at the highest level are getting quieter every week, with only Erling Haaland scoring more than his four in the Premier League this season.

Not that Mitro ever paid the blindest bit of notice to such trolling.

"I don't really care to be honest," he said. "I know I had the confidence, the Manager had the confidence, my teammates had confidence in me, and what other people say I'm not really bothered.

"People have different opinions but I focus on myself, focus on keep working hard for the team, and when the team plays well I know we will create chances and I will score goals."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/august/28/mitro-left-everything-out-there/

WhiteJC

Arsenal's 'over celebration' against Fulham defended by Laura Woods

Laura Woods stood up for Arsenal's celebrations following their late winner against Fulham, after Richard Keys and Andy Gray had criticised them.

On Saturday evening, Mikel Arteta's side continued their 100% record start to the Premier League with a win in one of the many London derbies.

The Gunners went behind in the second half to an Aleksandar Mitrovic goal, his fourth of the campaign already, following a mistake by Gabriel.

Martin Odegaard got the hosts back level in the 64th minute but it looked like the visitors would hold on for a huge point, until Gabriel made amends by scoring in the 86th minute.

The players were delighted with the goal, celebrating in style, with Oleksandr Zinchenko nearly removed by a steward who thought he was a fun, and they celebrated their fourth win in four at full time.

However that celebrating did not go down well with disgraced former Sky Sports pairing Keys and Gray, the former now better known for his rants about Gary Neville than anything approaching coherent punditry about football.

Speaking on beIN Sports, Keys said, "It's Fulham, and they trailed for a time," as if being behind in a match somehow negated winning in the end.

"Yeah, well played, you came back to win it and they keep their 100 per cent record intact. But they haven't won the title tonight. They've won a London derby... Let's not get too carried away. We're four games into the season."

Gray, a long time removed from his legendary commentary days, chimed in with, "I get the fans getting over excited. If you want me to be blunt about Arsenal, I like what I see, right? But they've beaten Palace, Leicester, Bournemouth and Fulham. It's not a who's who of big teams.

"This is over hype. It's Fulham. This is a league game. If this was the semi-final of the cup somewhere and you'd won, then I get that.

"Maybe this is what he [Arteta] wants to instil here, I don't know. I would say it's dangerous because you're going to have plenty of downs, that's for sure."

Fortunately, Arsenal supporter Woods was able to bring some sense to the absolute stupidity that was on show, taking to social media to point out that football should be about celebrating.

"Genuinely...what is the point of football if you can't enjoy it in the moment?" she asked on Twitter.

"It's just a happy team with happy fans who will probably go out tonight & get sh*t faced. That's the point."

It's not the first time that Woods has defended the north London side from 'over celebrating,' something you'd imagine she'd do no matter which team was being criticised.

Earlier in the year, fellow talkSPORT colleague Gabby Agbonlahor wasn't impressed with the way Arteta's side had celebrated after beating his own Aston Villa, with Woods going into bat for her club.

The 35-year-old recently revealed she had left Sky Sports after 13 years with the broadcaster, having signed up to ITV for their upcoming NFL coverage, to go with her work on the radio and with DAZN for boxing.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/laura-woods-left-sky-sports-presenter-20220817

WhiteJC

Richard Keys blasts 'irritating' Mikel Arteta and accuses Arsenal fans of over-celebrating

Richard Keys has hit out at 'irritating' Mikel Arteta and has accused Arsenal supporters of 'over-celebrating' their 2-1 victory over Fulham on Saturday.

Aleksandar Mitrovic gave Fulham the lead at the Emirates Stadium but Martin Odegaard equalised before Gabriel scored a late winner to extend Arsenal's perfect start to the new Premier League campaign.

Arsenal supporters, players and Arteta were jubilant after the final whistle but Keys took exception to the Gunners' celebrations.

'It's Fulham, and they trailed for one time,' Keys said on beIN SPORTS.

'Yeah, well played, you came back to win it and they keep their 100 per cent record intact.

'But they haven't won the title tonight. They've won a London derby. Let's not get too carried away. We're four games into the season.'

Andy Gray then replied: 'I don't think the players will. I don't think Arteta will. I get the fans getting over excited.

'Listen, if you want me to be blunt about Arsenal, I like what I see, right? But they've beaten Palace, Leicester, Bournemouth and Fulham. It's not a who's who of big teams.

'I said to you at half time, that's something they'll have to do [learn how to win ugly]. When things are not great, they'll get a bit of luck, that first goal from Odegaard, there was a deflection otherwise they don't score. We saw Bernardo Silva do the same for Man City [against Crystal Palace] and they go on and win it.

'This is over hype. It's Fulham. This is a league game. If this was the semi-final of the cup somewhere and you'd won, then I get that. Maybe this is what he [Arteta] wants to instil here, I don't know. I would say it's dangerous because you're going to have plenty of downs, that's for sure.'

Keys then took aim at Arteta following Arsenal's win

'I can't hide the fact I find him [Arteta] extremely irritating,' Keys said.

'Waving his arms around like a windmill for 90 minutes, as if anyone can hear him, let alone see him. And he's never in his technical area.

'They've over-celebrated this – it's a 2-1 win against newly promoted Fulham.'

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/28/richard-keys-blasts-irritating-mikel-arteta-and-accuses-arsenal-fans-of-over-celebrating-17256412/?ito=newsnow-feed

WhiteJC

Games for Mid-week 30/08
We welcome Brighton to the Cottage for a game under the lights.
I think we were unlucky against Arsenal, we deserved to get something out of the game but at least we gave a good account of ourselves.
I wonder how many of the "Mitro can't do it in the Prem" comments will be rescinded?, the mans still on fire! Tim Ream also needs a shout out, many Fulham fans, me included, love the man but didn't think he was still "up to" Premier League standard, I'm very glad to admit that I was very, very wrong, more power to Mr Ream, long may he continue.

Brighton are have a great start to the season, 3 wins, away to Man Utd & West Ham, home to Leeds and a home draw to Newcastle, and are currently sitting in 4th place, (that could change with this afternoons results) so they'll be coming into our game full of confidence.
They've lost Maupay to Everton, apparently he was very close to signing for us?, but I'm sure we had a nice chat as our "talks" appear to go on forever, they've also lost Yves Bissouma, to Spurs, and Marc Cururella to Chelsea.

Our record against Brighton 2 wins, 5 losses and 3 draws

The team started well against Arsenal so my team would be...

COYW's

Games of Interest...
Tuesday 30th

Palace v Brentford
Fulham v Brighton
Southampton v Chelsea

Wednesday 31st
Arsenal v Villa
Bournemouth v Wolves
Man City v Forest
West Ham v Spurs

come on over to the forum and join in the conversation...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=2336

WhiteJC

Ajax could hijack Fulham transfer if Man Utd complete £75m signing

Ajax will reportedly move for AS Roma attacker and Fulham target Justin Kluivert as a replacement for Antony, with Manchester United in talks to sign the 22-year-old attacker.

According to De Telegraaf, the Dutch giants are eager to re-sign their former academy star should United strike a deal to sign Antony, with the Red Devils in advanced talks to sign the Brazilian international as part of Erik Ten Hag's rebuild of the Manchester giants.

United have had a reported €90m (£75m) bid rejected for Antony already, and it is expected that the Old Trafford side will make an improved offer in the coming days, and this transfer could now have a major effect on Fulham with Ajax now eyeing a move for Kluivert.

The Cottagers have been in talks with the AS Roma winger for the past few weeks, with Kluivert reportedly agreeing on a move to Fulham earlier in the week, however, United's move for Antony and Ajax's subsequent interest in their former Dutch star could put a move on hold.

Indeed, whilst Kluivert looks open to playing in the Premier League, a return to Ajax to replace Antony with the Eredivisie side in a much better state than when the winger left the club could be an appealing move, especially with UEFA Champions League football on the agenda this season.

With Ajax also having the capacity to match any wage Fulham is offering Kluivert, there's a strong chance that Marco Silva's side could now miss out on the Dutch international, with United to blame as the Red Devils ramp up their interest to sign Antony.

Ajax signing Kluivert will be a massive blow for Fulham

After losing in dramatic circumstances to Arsenal this weekend, the last thing Fulham wanted was to miss out on a top transfer target in Kluivert, yet with Ajax now eyeing the Roma outcast, this could well become a possibility should United manage to sign Antony in the coming days.

Whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world for Fulham, Kluivert would have been a solid addition for Silva's squad for their return to the Premier League, yet with Ajax an obviously more alluring destination for the winger, the west London side could face an uphill battle to secure the winger's signature this summer.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/28/ajax-could-hijack-fulham-transfer-if-man-utd-complete-75m-signing/

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic admits "mistake" after furious complaints over Arsenal goal

Aleksandar Mitrovic led Fulham's complaints about Gabriel's Arsenal winner but later admitted he made a "mistake" after seeing the replays of the goal

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has admitted he was wrong about Arsenal's winning goal after reacting angrily at the Emirates Stadium.

Gabriel's late winner was upheld after a VAR check, with officials looking at a potential handball from the Arsenal defender after the ball bounced towards him off teammate William Saliba. Mitrovic complained vocally in the moment, approaching referee Jarred Gillett after the Arsenal players ran off celebrating.

The Serbian striker, who had earlier put Fulham in front, seemed certain an offence had been committed. However, after the dust settled on the result, the former Newcastle and Anderlecht man accepted he was mistaken.

"I was arguing with the referee, but I just saw the goal. And yeah, it's my mistake," Mitrovic told Match of the Day. "It's clearly a goal and the referee gave the goal. It's the right decision."

Mitrovic had spoken to Sky Sports after the final whistle, and spoke of the opponents' good fortune. "Hurts a lot. That is football, sometimes you win, last week last minute but today we lost," he said.

"We gave everything out there, we fought until the end but we conceded two unlucky goals. First was rebound, second was after ricocheted. Very sad we didn't take any points but we move on."

Fulham boss Marco Silva also spoke of Arsenal's stroke of luck after their late comeback. The away side led after an hour and were level going into the final five minutes before Gabriel broke their resistance.

"They [Arsenal] didn't have many clear chances, they had two goals and both were lucky goals," Silva said. "It was bad luck for us.

"I didn't see many clear chances for Arsenal. After 1-0 when the game seemed to be more open they had luck to score with the deflection. Even after they scored the winner we tried until the end. I hope the bad luck we had this evening will go our way in the future.

"In that moment, the way they scored that goal with the deflection was bad luck and the second goal, they don't know how they scored the goal, that's the reality. It didn't come for us the result but this attitude, this commitment we showed this afternoon, it will come for us I don't have doubts."

The defeat for Fulham was their first in the league this season, after draws with Liverpool and Wolves and a victory over Brentford. They were also knocked out of the Carabao Cup in midweek, with lower-league side Crawley Town pulling off a shock.

Silva's side have a chance to immediately make amends for the loss, with Brighton set to visit Craven Cottage on Tuesday. The London side will follow that match with back-to-back derbies against Tottenham and Chelsea as the Premier League season begins to take shape.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mitrovic-arsenal-goal-fulham-mistake-27851616

WhiteJC

Positives and negatives: Arsenal 2-1 Fulham

Cam looks back at a valiant defeat at the Emirates as the Whites fell to the league leaders.

Don't be disheartened, Fulham fans; we may have come away from the Emirates with nothing of value where points are concerned, but our tails shouldn't drag behind us. What we witnessed against Mikel Arteta's light bulb-clutching Arsenal was a performance of genuine substance from Marco Silva's Whites.

There's so much to digest. The Gunners 100% start hasn't been blemished, but we genuinely presented them with their toughest test so far. We weren't to be mistreated by Arsenal and if we continue to accost games with the same conviction, we will resist relegation and we will cause upsets. Tuesday evening's the destination, and as we do after every stumble, we go again.

Positives
Mitro's 100 mark
People that know absolutely nothing about football will say Aleksandar Mitrovic isn't cut out for the Premier League but in the 56th minute, in front of Fulham's fine following, the indomitable Serb swept home his 100th Fulham goal, silencing Emirates as well his critics, yet again. A century of speaker-box celebrations in 181 outings for the Whites is a ridiculous return, the figures simply speak for themselves, and as Mitro pounced on Gabriel Magalhães' negligence in the penalty area, differing opinions were swiftly scrunched and shoved up rectums.

Napping when Mitrovic is prowling isn't advisory and Arsenal's Brazilian centre-back was the latest victim to fall foul of our merciless hit-man's exploits. Trapped under a poor touch, Gabriel failed to rid impending danger and Mitro barged through the defender like an enraged sheriff bursting through a saloon door.

It was an unerring display of dominance, Gabriel was rolled and smoked, and as Aaron Ramsdale darted from his line to lessen the angle, Aleksandar planted the opener into the bottom left and now, even more so, doubters and sceptics are chowing down on humble pie, baked and served by a man that dines on slack-jawed ridicule. Mitro cheffed Gabriel on primetime television, triple figures have been activated, and after decimating the Championship, our lethal number nine's poised to terrorise the planet's most demanding division.

Leno's sharp stopping
Returning to North London, Bernd Leno recognised the magnitude of the occasion and he wasn't to be swallowed up by crippling expectations. Arsenal boast one of the Premier League's deadliest attacks, a front line comprising Gabriel Jesus, Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli has dismembered opposing defences without remorse and 'keepers shudder at the sight of the Gunners' stealth, but Leno's an exception. Fulham acquired a tremendous shot stopper from Saturday's opposition, the German's defiance between the sticks thwarted multiple clear-cut opportunities and though he ultimately picked the ball out of his net twice, conceding wasn't detrimental.

Standing his ground, muddying his palms, calling the striker's bluff, Leno was quite literally our last line of defence and if we didn't know so already, the Whites have a seriously sturdy guardian in Bernd because without his razor-sharp reflexes, Arsenal certainly would've been ahead by some way at the break and there would've been no coming back.

A rogue deflection brought the equaliser, he was sandwiched within a melee as Gabriel prodded a last-gasp winner, there are occupational hazards that walk hand-in-hand with being a professional goalkeeper but you cannot fault Leno's commitment during an encounter where personal emotions could've smothered his composure. Facing friends, ex-colleagues, a stadium filled with 60,000 supporters that he once represented, these are all factors that could have spoiled his concentration but contrastingly, Leno's vigilance and attention was constant and he isn't accountable.

Cairney reaches landmark
Another of our household heroes also reached another commendable milestone because in the 69th minute, as Neeskens Kebano made way, Tom Cairney's Fulham outings ticked over to 250 and that, given his previous injury spates, is an incredible achievement that needs applauding. Amid lengthy periods on the physio's bench, months on end, TC has managed to pull on the famous jersey 250 times and in those many, many appearances, our ingenious master craftsman's sealed promotion with game-defining strikes at Wembley, he's suffered the misfortune relegation, and as many reputable faces have come and gone, the 31-year-old's still a highly significant component and his experience at this level is invaluable.

This season, Silva will deploy Cairney more sparingly, 20-minute cameos will be frequent, but his importance to match matters will remain. We've a midfield department embellished with internationals, innovators that impact games uniquely, although there are none more talented than TC and that isn't up for debate.

Tom's controls tempo and devises opportunities with a perfectionist's intuition and that is precisely why he has a major role to play in the coming weeks and months. Cairney's come this far under various managers and regimes, he's battled uncertainty and he's revelled in the limelight, a mainstay through thick and thin. 250 appearances for the mighty Whites, giving his all for the Fulham, what a remarkable accomplishment.

We're no pushovers
So, Fulham have finally fallen to a Premier League defeat but let this be clear: we are no pushovers. In years gone by, at the home of the division's in-form team, the Whites would have crumbled to a drubbing, a monumental thrashing would've befallen a bruised group however, Silva's side are made of tougher stuff and it really showed. Initially, Fulham soaked up immense pressure and as the minutes progressed, our involvement developed from tentative to assertive, a slight power shift that promised a surprise goal midway through the second half.

Compositionally, this season's Whites are drilled, our back four and middle third are harmonised and moving forward, our approach is balanced, everyone understands their individual duties and core standards have lifted throughout the fold. Antonee Robinson has elevated his game, Tim Ream's rebirth has revolutionised his reputation, there are players within the camp that have been here before and they are unrecognisable. Fulham's form in our opening four games has been combative, we've upped the ante, we've been aggressive and against Arsenal, in demanding circumstances, Fulham projected a rebellious statement of intent.

There's no space for passengers in Silva's top-flight compliment. Those that have joined this summer have been cherry picked meticulously; Joao Palhinha's a glowing example of Fulham's revitalised attitude and pre-existing figures such as Harrison Reed, Kebano, Bobby Decordova-Reid and so on have eyeballed affliction to prosper in an environment that takes no prisoners. The Whites are going to lose, we know that, we're going to feel the sharp end of contentious VAR decisions and we're going to have to scrap for every given point that's available but in defeat, we have to be brave and this team is laden with courage. The Gunners were made to sweat for the dub, the manner in which they claimed three points was far from convincing and that's because Fulham didn't submit or conform to the predicted narrative. Fulham were confrontational and this season, albeit early on, the Whites are a different breed to what we've known before.

Negatives
Leave it to you
We were a goal to the good with 25 minutes to go, defeat came at its cruellest, but I can't begin to berate Fulham's overall performance because, as stated, it was more than acceptable. I've scrimped on the negatives this term to date because honestly, I'd say we've barely put a foot wrong and if I were to nitpick, it would be an empty reach.

So, for interactive purposes, I'll leave it to you. If you have a reasoning, comment on Twitter, Facebook, wherever you find this article and we can deliberate its validity. This week, even while holding an L, the Whites deserve to be saluted and on your Bank Holiday Sunday, Monday, that's precisely what we should do with a drink in one hand and a hotdog in the other.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2022-08-28-positives-and-negatives-arsenal-2-1-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic unconcerned by critics calling him a Premier League flop
Fulham strker Aleksandar Mitrovic has brushed off criticism that he's not good enough for the Premier League after opening the scoring in the 2-1 defeat to Arsenal.

Mitrovic's opener, where he caught Arsenal defender Gabriel dawdling in possession, saw him reach 100 goals for Fulham as he hit his fourth of the season.

The goal eclipsed his return from the whole of the Fulham's relegation campaign two years ago, and goes some way to disprove the theory that he's a Championship striker who can't handle the step up to the top flight.

The Serbia striker was a handful for Arsenal defenders Gabriel and William Saliba throughout the game on Saturday and doesn't care about what the critics think of him.

"I don't really care to be honest," he told the club's official website.

"I know I had the confidence, the manager had the confidence, my team-mates had confidence in me, and what other people say I'm not really bothered.

"People have different opinions but I focus on myself, focus on keep working hard for the team, and when the team plays well I know we will create chances and I will score goals.

"It sounds nice, and I'm really happy to score 100 goals for this beautiful club, and hopefully there will be many more to come."

https://www.planetsport.com/soccer/news/fulham-striker-aleksandar-mitrovic-unconcerned-critics-calling-premier-league-flop

WhiteJC

Blackpool boss makes admission on Bournemouth, Fulham and Nottingham Forest target

Blackpool boss Michael Appleton has admitted he hopes he hasn't seen the last of star winger Josh Bowler following his side's 3-3 draw against Bristol City yesterday, speaking to Lancs Live.

The 23-year-old hasn't been short of interest this calendar year, with AFC Bournemouth, Fulham and Nottingham Forest all retaining their interest in the Chertsey-born man despite their promotion to the Premier League.

And at this stage, it seems as though the Reds are the most likely side to recruit him, offering £3m for him as they try to get a deal over the line.

Despite the fact he has less than 12 months left on his existing deal though, the Seasiders are still holding out for around £4m as deadline day approaches, with Appleton's side looking to generate as much revenue as possible for one of their most valuable assets.

Recording two goals in six league appearances so far this season, he has been unlucky not to add more to his tally, especially against Reading on the opening day when he hit the post.

Despite intense interest though and Ian Poveda arriving as a potential replacement, the second-tier side are standing firm at this point and Appleton is one man who is desperate to keep hold of him.

Asked whether he thought Bowler had played his last game for the club, he said: "I certainly hope not, I hope not.

"I just had a chat with him then and I just said make sure you look after yourself over the weekend, we've got a big game on Wednesday.

"It's live on TV, he gets the opportunity to showcase his skills."

The Verdict:

At 23, he will want to move on sooner rather than later but with less than a year to go on his current contract, he should be satisfied with staying at Bloomfield Road if it comes to that.

Then he can look towards January – or potentially next summer when he will be a free agent – and that's when multiple offers could potentially be on the table for him.

That will give him the opportunity to pick the best possible career move – because he can weigh up where he could fit in the best and where he will get the most game time, with the latter factor very important.

He won't be able to fulfil his potential unless he's one of the first names on the teamsheet, so a move to the City Ground doesn't seem wise at this stage considering the calibre of players they already have at their disposal.

The system also doesn't suit Bowler – because he thrives on the wing and if Steve Cooper wants to operate with a 3-4-1-2 system throughout the season – there's little chance of him being a regular starter.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/blackpool-boss-makes-admission-on-bournemouth-fulham-and-nottingham-forest-target/

WhiteJC

Fulham face potential competition in pursuit of attacking signing

The latest Fulham news on Sunday.

Ajax have reportedly looked into the possibility of signing Fulham target Justin Kluivert from Roma.

The winger has been linked with a move to Craven Cottage over recent times.

Kluivert, 23, spent last season on loan in France with OCG Nice but is now back with his parent club.

Dutch champions Ajax have 'discussed' the potential addition of the Holland international before the end of the transfer window, as detailed in a report by the Daily Mail.

Competition for Fulham?

Fulham have been busy this summer bolstering their squad following their promotion from the Championship last term.

Marco Silva's side have made a strong start to life back in the Premier League, despite losing 2-1 away at Arsenal this weekend.

Kluivert would be a useful addition for the London club as he is a decent age, has already racked up 190 appearances in his career to date and has the potential to grow and develop in the future.

However, the fact Ajax are looking into signing him isn't good news for the Cottagers' pursuit of him.

Erik ten Hag's former club may well see him as a replacement for Manchester United-linked attacker Antony.

Fulham have until 1st September to add more signings to their ranks and it will be interesting to see if they do any more business.

Other news

In other news, Fulham-linked Sergio Reguilon from Tottenham Hotspur is poised to join Atletico Madrid on loan, as per the Evening Standard.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-face-potential-competition-in-pursuit-of-attacking-signing-3822404

WhiteJC

Fulham endured nightmare with Matt O'Riley

Fulham's failure to keep hold of Matt O'Riley looks to have been a disastrous decision, as the 21-year-old Celtic star is now reportedly wanted by a host of Premier League clubs including Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Leicester and Newcastle United.

O'Riley was a product of Fulham's academy but would make just five appearances for the first team during his time with the Cottagers, so it was no surprise when he opted to leave the club on a free transfer in 2020.

MK Dons were the beneficiaries, as the young midfielder starred in their side for one and a half seasons, contributing ten goals and eight assists in 54 appearances before a move to Celtic.

He has gone from strength to strength during his brief time with the Bhoys, with four goals and three assists to his name thus far, while his overall performances have been enough to attract the interest of top Premier League sides.

According to ESPN, the Denmark U21 international is attracting significant interest from top-flight clubs, while Borussia Dortmund, Wolfsburg and Lille are also interested in O'Riley.

They suggest that while Celtic have no intention to sell the midfielder after less than 12 months in Glasgow, a bid of £20m could tempt them to sell this summer, which would represent a significant profit on the £1.5m they paid to sign him.

Considering he left Fulham for absolutely nothing, the club's failure to offer such a talented youngster regular first-team football looks to have been a huge mistake by the Cottagers.

There is little doubt that O'Riley would have prospered in Fulham's title-winning Championship side last season had he remained at the club, and he could have been a quality player for Marco Silva to have in his Premier League midfield.

O'Riley has started the new season where he left off with Celtic, averaging a strong 7.12 rating from WhoScored for his performances, which is only bettered by Bernd Leno and Aleksandar Mitrovic in Fulham's squad.

Ross County boss Malky Mackay was full of praise for O'Riley last season, saying:

"The fact Celtic have gone and found O'Riley is a fantastic piece of business.

"He's a wonderful young player. I even enjoy the fact he's decided to go and play for Denmark, that he's confident enough to throw his hat in there."

Should he arrive in the Premier League and continue his upwards trajectory with a top-half club, then it will become even more evident that losing him for free was a rather shocking piece of business by Fulham.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-news/fulham-matt-oriley-celtic-liverpool-newcastle-manchester-united-arsenal-leicester-marco-silva-ffc

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Brighton & Hove Albion - prediction, team news, lineups

Fulham can stretch their unbeaten run at Craven Cottage to three consecutive Premier League encounters on Tuesday when they host Brighton & Hove Albion for the first time since the 2020-21 campaign.

Last season's Championship winners dropped their first encounter of the new top-flight campaign last Saturday, 2-1 versus Arsenal, while Albion are one of only five EPL sides without a defeat this season, beating Leeds United 1-0 over the weekend.

Match preview
The Premier League campaign is still relatively young, but early on, the Cottagers have proven to be no pushovers, claiming five points after four matches, which is one more than they had in their first four games of the 2018-19 and 2020-21 EPL seasons combined.

To this point of the top-flight season, Marco Silva's men have shown quality, class and maturity, managing to keep every one of their matches close.

They have gone toe-to-toe with two of the Big Six clubs in England, drawing Liverpool in their opener 2-2 and giving the Gunners all they could handle on Saturday.

While their performances thus far have been incredibly encouraging, Fulham have struggled to put a match to bed when given the opportunity, squandering the lead in three of their four fixtures this year and letting five points slip away when holding a second-half advantage.

At the Emirates Stadium on Saturday, the Cottagers held firm along the backline for the opening 45 minutes but became fatigued in the latter stages of the match, as Arsenal eventually made all of their possession (72%) pay off, scoring on two of their eight efforts on target.

Five of the six goals conceded by Fulham in 2022-23 have come in the second half, a sharp contrast from how they ended their Championship-winning season in 2021-22 when the Cottagers did not concede a strike in the final 45 minutes in their last three domestic encounters.

Tuesday will be just the third time that Fulham have faced the side from East Sussex, with the home team unbeaten against them at Craven Cottage, winning 4-2 in this exact fixture in 2018-19, while drawing 0-0 at home in 2020-21.

There is a lot to be excited about at Brighton right now, as the Seagulls extended their unbeaten run in Premier League play to nine straight matches on Saturday, the longest-ever streak for them without a loss in top-flight football.

Graham Potter's men have been incredibly resolute on the defensive side this month, failing to concede in four straight matches in all competitions.

Their only goal allowed in the Premier League this season was an own-goal by Alexis Mac Allister in their opening fixture, which they went on to win, 2-1 over Manchester United.

Brighton have points in four consecutive top-flight affairs away from home, and a victory on Tuesday would mark the first time they have ever won three straight road matches in the Premier League.

With 10 points after four EPL fixtures, it is the best beginning to a domestic campaign for the Seagulls, eclipsing their achievement from last season when they claimed nine points at this stage of the competition.

In four previous meetings against Fulham in the top flight, Brighton have never come out on top, squandering a 2-0 lead in their first-ever visit to Craven Cottage in the EPL in 2018-19, allowing four goals in the second half.

Fulham Premier League form:

D    D    W    L

Fulham form (all competitions):

D    D    W    L    L

Brighton & Hove Albion Premier League form:

W    D    W    W

Brighton & Hove Albion form (all competitions):

W    D    W    W    W

Team News
Aleksandar Mitrovic notched his fourth Premier League goal for Fulham on Saturday in their defeat to Arsenal, which is already one more than he had in their previous top-flight campaign.

Bobby Decordova-Reid and Joao Palhinha are the other players who have scored goals for the Cottagers so far in this domestic season, each tallying once.

Andreas Pereira is the only Fulham player to have an assist this season, while Bernd Leno stopped six shots against his former team last weekend as he has faced 18 in league play thus far.

Silva introduced one new face in the starting 11 versus the Gunners, who did not feature in their previous EPL fixture against Brentford, as Neeskens Kebano replaced Jay Stansfield in the midfield, while Harry Wilson and Manor Solomon are not expected back until the middle of September with knee injuries.

Pascal Gross has done virtually everything for Brighton in the early portion of the season, scoring three goals domestically, two of which were match-winners.

He set up Leandro Trossard in their 2-0 victory over West Ham, with the only other assist for Brighton in the EPL this year coming courtesy of Danny Welbeck.

Robert Sanchez leads the league with three clean sheets, and Moises Caicedo has played the full 90 minutes in every one of their Premier League encounters so far this season.

Pervis Estupinan made his EPL debut last weekend, and Evan Ferguson was on the bench despite scoring in their 3-0 triumph at Forest Green in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

Jakub Moder will be out long-term with an ACL issue, Jeremy Sarmiento might not be ready until early September with a sprained knee and Adam Lallana missed his first domestic fixture of the season last week due to a calf injury.

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Leno; Robinson, Mbabu, Adarabioyo, Tete; Palhinha, Reed; Cairney, Pereira, Decordova-Reid; Mitrovic

Brighton & Hove Albion possible starting lineup:
Sanchez; Veltman, Webster, Dunk, Lamptey; March, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard; Gros, Welbeck

We say: Fulham 0-1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Brighton look incredibly determined and composed in the early portion of the season, while collectively, they have rarely suffered a lapse in concentration.

The Seagulls' overall commitment should carry them to another victory against a Fulham side, who have played well but have also had their share of breakdowns on the back end.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-fulham-vs-brighton-prediction-team-news-lineups_493249.html?cQx=NN&newsnow

WhiteJC

Heasman and True secure second Fulham Women win
Georgia Heasman and Charmaine True grabbed the goals as Fulham Women made it two wins from two in the London South East Women's Football League by beating Enfield Town 2-0 this afternoon.

Steve Jaye's side produced a professional display to triumph at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium against a side that were relegated last year. Enfield showed early promise with their direct approach causing the Whites problems during a tricky first twenty minutes when Fulham goalkeeper Edie Kelly made a couple of superb saves. Tia Foreman rattled the woodwork with a fine-kick before Heasman, who made the opening goal at Sutton last Sunday, finished off a fine counter-attack after being teed up by True to put the Cottagers ahead midway through the first half.

The goal visibly relaxed the Whites, who began to dominate possession with Becky Stormer a strong presence in the middle of the park. They went close to extending their lead after the interval with Ellie Olds and True both denied by excellent saves from Grace Taylor. The hosts' most potent threat was the lively Karesha Iton, whose pace offered a threat in behind. Kelly made himself big to deny Olivia Syson before True tucked a contentious penalty into top corner to add the crucial second. It was the former Portsmouth forward's first competitive goal in Fulham colours since arriving at Motspur Park earlier this summer.

Heasman and True came close to adding a third and there was a welcome return to first-team action for Annie Thomas as the Whites made it six points from six after two testing games. Jaye's team will be back on the road for their third outing at Dartford Town's Princes Park Stadium on Sunday 4 September in a 2pm kick off.

ENFIELD TOWN LADIES: Taylor; Slater, Huggins, Fowle, Powell, Mugford, Littlechild, Wyer, Syson, Evans, Iton. Subs: Cantiar-Piccinino, Threadgold-Smith, Cliffe, Headley, Smith.

FULHAM WOMEN (4-3-3): Kelly; Allen, Foreman, Southgate, Bird; Stormer, Lambird, Christison-McNee; Olds, Heasman, True. Subs: Cowen, Mendes, Ogle, Thomas.

GOALS: Heasman (23), True (pen 68).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/08/heasman-and-true-secure-second-fulham-women-win/

WhiteJC

Chris Wilder was delighted with Middlesbrough's two debutants in Swansea City win

Matt Clarke played the full 90 minutes of the Swansea win while Rodrigo Muniz came on before the hour mark

Chris Wilder manager of Middlesbrough requests new signing Rodrigo Muniz to come on as a substitute during the second half (Image: James Heaton/News Images)

Chris Wilder was delighted with the impact that Middlesbrough debutants Matt Clarke and Rodrigo Muniz made as his side picked up their first win of the season over Swansea City.

After a disappointing afternoon at Reading last weekend, the Boro boss had hoped new arrivals could shake things up and Clarke and Muniz certainly helped do that as Boro won 2-1 at the Riverside to finally kickstart their season. Clarke started the game and was man of the match.

Muniz, meanwhile, came on just before the hour mark, with Wilder admitting he had been tempted to start the Fulham loanee, while explaining why he waited to use the Brazilian centre-forward in the latter stages of the match instead. With Swansea pushing to get back into the game, Muniz's presence certainly helped as Boro cleared their lines.

Asked of his two Boro debutants after, Wilder said: "Matt was really good. I think you understand the attitude towards getting a left-hand side centre half because of the balance and what it does. We try and play well out wide, and try and play well centrally.

"There are all different ways to win games of football. So we're delighted to get Matt in. We've paid a fee for him so I thank the club for that in terms of getting a really good player in. A good leader, he plays well and it's a steady away debut.

"Rodrigo came on. There was a temptation to start him, but, without being clever a***, I thought the game would pan out this way in the last half an hour. In the last 35 minutes he comes on and gives everyone a real boost - the players a real boost, and most importantly giving the supporters a real boost. He certainly did that with his performance."

Both will hope to feature and have positive impacts again as Boro travel to Watford on Tuesday evening looking to build on their Swansea win and start a run that helps carry them up the Championship league table.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chris-wilder-delighted-middlesbroughs-two-24875907

WhiteJC

Fulham can sign Harry Wilson 2.0 in Bowler

Fulham are reportedly interested in signing Blackpool winger Josh Bowler this summer and the Englishman could prove to be the next Harry Wilson in Marco Silva's side.

According to journalist Ryan Taylor of the Express, Fulham, Nottingham Forest and Bournemouth are all keen on signing the 23-year-old after he played a starring role in the Tangerines' impressive first season back in the Championship.

Bowler joined Blackpool after being released from Everton in 2021 and has established himself as a key player at Bloomfield Road, making 51 appearances and scoring ten goals, assisting three times.

He has continued his strong form into the new season, hitting two goals in his first six Championship appearances, averaging a superb 7.16 rating from WhoScored for his performances.

This would rank him as the third-best performer in Fulham's current squad, so it is clear the quality that he could add to Silva's squad should he make the move to Craven Cottage before next week's deadline.

During his time in Everton's academy, Bowler earned a lot of praise from former coach David Unsworth for a particular performance against Sheffield United's academy.

He said: "Josh Bowler was terrific. We need to get the ball to his feet in the final third and that's where you see his magic."

Fulham have begun the season without the influential Harry Wilson after he picked up a knee injury in pre-season, but Bowler could be a natural replacement on the right-hand-side.

WhoScored suggests that both Wilson and Bowler like to cut inside on their stronger foot, while they both excel at finishing and playing through balls, which emphasises the quality that Bowler could add in the final third for Fulham.

While Silva's side have started the new season in impressive fashion, with five points from their opening four fixtures, there is no doubt that Wilson has been a miss, after the former Liverpool man contributed 10 goals and 19 assists in the second tier last season.

Both are left-footed right-wingers who started their careers in Merseyside, and considering Bowler is available for just £4m this summer, he could prove to be a bargain addition to Silva's squad, especially if he can emulate Wilson's form at Craven Cottage.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-transfer-rumours/fulham-harry-wilson-josh-bowler-blackpool-marco-silva

WhiteJC