watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Chealsea, Potter & Brighton

Started by bog, September 07, 2022, 02:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassy Noel

This time Potter will not make the same early mistake with his defensive formation but we still do not have to be overcautious in attack.

Caedal

Apparently they are paying £16m to Brighton to release him

Grassy Noel

Hopefully Marco wiil be saying to himself 'Tut tut. Silly boy. Look at what happened to me at Everton.'

Bassey the warrior

You can't blame him, realistically he couldn't turn down this opportunity. I hope a) for our sake he doesn't start before Saturday, and b) for his sake the management give him time to implement the necessary changes, it won't happen overnight.

Marcus

Poor call, highly respected poential England manager who will now be forever tarnished by a club hated universally, not just within the confines of SW6...

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 08, 2022, 10:48:27 AM
You can't blame him, realistically he couldn't turn down this opportunity. I hope a) for our sake he doesn't start before Saturday, and b) for his sake the management give him time to implement the necessary changes, it won't happen overnight.

Why can't you blame him? Is everything in life to be determined by money? Does he give even a thought to the Brighton season ticket holder who now finds that he was mis-sold a dream?
There ought to be something resembling a Council of Fans with 20 elders elected by each team's fanship. Every potential change to the game would have to approved by the Council to meet certain standards of morality. Money (above a certain level) would not meet the criteria.

fulhamfan

Quote from: Marcus on September 08, 2022, 11:07:27 AM
Poor call, highly respected poential England manager who will now be forever tarnished by a club hated universally, not just within the confines of SW6...
not really. he'd be mad to turn it down. his stock has never been higher . he might not get the opportunity again. fair play to him

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Grassy Noel on September 08, 2022, 11:09:59 AM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 08, 2022, 10:48:27 AM

Why can't you blame him? Is everything in life to be determined by money? Does he give even a thought to the Brighton season ticket holder who now finds that he was mis-sold a dream?
There ought to be something resembling a Council of Fans with 20 elders elected by each team's fanship. Every potential change to the game would have to approved by the Council to meet certain standards of morality. Money (above a certain level) would not meet the criteria.

It's not about money, it's about the challenge. Surely every manager deserves that chance?

Healey Chapman

A lot of sentimental people on this thread. Potter will no doubt double/treble his wages at Chelsea . Who on here saying he should stay at a relatively small club would themselves stay loyal to their employer if they were offered a job that doubled/trebled their wages ? None of you unless you are clinically insane ! That is without the fact he will manage a Champions League team with massive funds wherein you do not have to sell your best players such as Cuccerella ? Everyone should be ambitious and aspire to be the best you can at everything you do and to turn down Chelsea to stay at Brighton is not an option for any would be top class manager.

Jules

Quote from: Marcus on September 08, 2022, 11:07:27 AM
England and international football is secondary to club football these days. Managing the national team is no longer the pinnacle. Top managers may prefer Champs League and competing for trophies, plus working with players every day rather than just a few times a year.

bencher

Potter will be backing himself to show that he can handle the pressure and win some big trophies. And he may be right. He's done very well with Brighton, but where do you go from there? Klopp started out as a manager of lowly Mainz and moved to one of Germany's biggest clubs and proved himself there as well.
My only reservation is that Potter is very likeable, and by becoming Chelsea manager, he instantly has made himself unlikeable and I will want him to fail.

Fulham 442

I wonder who will take over at Brighton??

Thailand Mick

Quote from: Healey Chapman on September 08, 2022, 11:54:10 AM
A lot of sentimental people on this thread. Potter will no doubt double/treble his wages at Chelsea . Who on here saying he should stay at a relatively small club would themselves stay loyal to their employer if they were offered a job that doubled/trebled their wages ? None of you unless you are clinically insane ! That is without the fact he will manage a Champions League team with massive funds wherein you do not have to sell your best players such as Cuccerella ? Everyone should be ambitious and aspire to be the best you can at everything you do and to turn down Chelsea to stay at Brighton is not an option for any would be top class manager.
thank christ Mitro hasn't felt that way so far and I will let you tell him he is clinically insane lol.

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

bobbo

Quote from: Grassy Noel on September 08, 2022, 10:21:06 AM
Quote from: Caedal on September 08, 2022, 10:18:08 AM
Its new ownership there so its a fresh slate when it comes to how they'll handle managers. Obviously they didnt think much of Tuchel, and Chelsea were on a bit of a terrible run of form in 2022. My mate is a Chelsea fan and complains constantly about how slow and disorganised they are on the pitch.

It will be a good appointment, will just be a case of if the players will accept a "lesser" name like Potter given the egos in that dressing room

Like 'I won't stay unless egos.'
😂😂 very clever
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Marcel_Gecov

Delighted that Silva isnt on any odds lists for brighton. Celtic guy looks the favourite.

ianthailand

Brighton are a well run club and have probably got a short list prepared. They are nearly always ahead of the game on player scouting and we should assume manager/head coach replacement would be anticipated as well. Potter has been well spoken of for some time now, including England, so no great surprise a bigger club has come along.

EastEndWhite

£16m into their coffers should soften the blow of losing Potter

Snibbo

Well I'll bite. You can only spend so much money in one lifetime.  How many houses can you live in,  cars can you drive,  champagne can you drink? The insane are those who think they'll  be happier earning  12 million a year than they are earning 10 million or 6 million a year.

Potter is a smart guy, so presumably he realises more money is not going to make his life any better.

So he must be looking at his current trajectory - stay at Brighton, build them into a solid Prem club, nailed on England manager

Versus - Move to Chelsea ...... hopefully (for him) have them competing with City,  beating the best in Europe, then maybe managing Barcelona, PSG, or get sacked in a year or so and back on the merry go round.

He's choosing the latter, which looks much riskier and has a big downside.

Parallels to Roy leaving us for Liverpool. Everybody could see it wouldn't  work except Roy, and he was a smart as Potter I  reckon. Then again, he still got the England job

JimmyConway

What about Swansea !! Had Brighton not done to them what Chelsea are doing now plus £20m compensation.