more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Chealsea, Potter & Brighton

Started by bog, September 07, 2022, 02:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Andy S on September 08, 2022, 05:23:44 PM
It's moves like this that I can never understand. You move on from a nice little job at a club like Brighton to a pressure pot at Stamford Bridge where you may only last half a season. Madness

It is all money, money, money and has been that way ever since some Haynes bloke demanded and got a hundred quid a week...... I'll get my coat.

blingo

Quote from: Andy S on September 08, 2022, 05:23:44 PM
It's moves like this that I can never understand. You move on from a nice little job at a club like Brighton to a pressure pot at Stamford Bridge where you may only last half a season. Madness

Glory days and a big challenge sum it up Andy. Oh plus a massive salary nd a multi million pay off if you fail, securing your family for life. Who on here would NOT take it?

Caedal

Exceptionally bad timing for us.

bobby01

Surprised after looking at the bbc announcement he has only won 9,9&12,in the 3 prem seasons, win rate of 24%24%32%. I really thought it was higher, lots of draws
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

rebel

Brighton get between £16m and £20m.

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: Caedal on September 08, 2022, 05:55:26 PM
Disagree, we have already beaten Potter once this season

copthornemike

Excellent analysis on the effect and timing of sacking a manager in the EPL, including a discussion of the 'new manager bounce.'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/09/08/revealed-best-month-change-manager-why-sackings-always-work/

RaySmith

A big opportunity for Potter - who knows, Brighton could nosedive tomorrow, he could even lose his job. At the moment his reputation is high, and this may be his one chance of winning major honours in the game, at a club with the resources of Chelsea.

Just think, if you're manager and you suddenly get a chance of top 6, playing in Europe, and buying any player you want, rather than always thinking of the budget, and the wages that could set you and your family up for life, of course.

Count Flapula

How can the opportunity to move to a team playing regular CL football in 3 times the wages be madness?

Especially if you back yourself and your own ability. What's he saying to everyone regards his ambition and belief if he did turn it down?

Turn down the opportunity to work with far better players and challenge yourself to win trophies regularly on much more money? If you truly believe in yourself as a manger then THAT would be madness (regardless of what I personally think of Chelsea as a football club).

If you're not in football at that level to test yourself at the very top level/try and win trophies/be as successful as you can, then what are you in it for?

DadCreature

Nothing against Potter for taking this position.  He gets a high-profile job with a huge budget and CL matches.  It's the opportunity to test himself agains the best.  He's clearly ambitious- good for him to go for it.  CFV is a pit and their fans are terrible, but that's just one of the hazards of the job for him.

roberto w6

All seems very quiet about any managers talking to Brighton

I wonder if they are waiting for Rodgers/someone to leave their current club.

It will be an interesting appointment from our perspective. They could either continue to be high-flyers or drop into a relegation scrap

irishfulham

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: roberto w6 on September 10, 2022, 09:21:29 AM
All seems very quiet about any managers talking to Brighton

I wonder if they are waiting for Rodgers/someone to leave their current club.

It will be an interesting appointment from our perspective. They could either continue to be high-flyers or drop into a relegation scrap

Rodgers wouldn't go as they don't have a big budget.

filham

Let us hope we have Silva and Mitro nicely tied to us with a tight contract, they are probably on the short list of any big six club thinking of a change of manager.

Bassey the warrior

Penned an open letter to the Brighton fans explaining why he left and praising the club and fans: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/11/graham-potter-asks-brighton-fans-for-forgiveness-after-leaving-for-chelsea

What a class act that bloke is, compare and contrast with the likes of Mark Hughes infamously saying "It was a point in time where I felt my ambition for where I wanted to take the club was not matched."

southwest6

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on September 08, 2022, 06:30:15 PM
Quote from: Caedal on September 08, 2022, 05:55:26 PM
Disagree, we have already beaten Potter once this season

Agreed. Silva has already outwitted Potter, and to be perfectly honest, this Chelsea team isn't THAT great. Auba is always a threat, and they of course have Kante (if fit). Only other players I personally really rate are Kovacic & Silva, but thankfully aren't too much of a goal threat...

Twig

Quote from: Grassy Noel on September 08, 2022, 02:35:44 PM
Roy's tenure at Liverpool was effectively ended by the fans (remember how they reacted after the 4-year Konchesky deal)
Potter's future is at the whim of those good old folks in USA.

For me they sunk to their lowest ebb after that.