more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Did we Dodge a Bullet

Started by JimmyConway, September 08, 2022, 08:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Joe Gomez!
Watched him a few times already this season and can't believe how poor his defending has been. We were linked with him heavily after securing promotion and myself included thought what a good signing he would be. Got it all as a central defender and though Van Dyke form is not great or is it having Gomez next to him that is causing dip in form? Gomez looks like a rabbit in the headlights in that Liverpool defence. His defending in that first half against Napoli was shocking. How has it gone so downhill for him having been given the chance to cement a place at centre back.
Gomez - Maguire - Stones not very inspiring with a world cup around the corner. What's the betting Dier gets a recall?

fulhamfan

Hes still a very good defender just going through bad form. I'd definitely have him at Fulham still

JimmyConway

I would of said the same prior to this season. Granted he is still young but I am not so sure his a very good defender. His age some of those mistakes should not be happening which makes me think he has an ceiling with his ability.

filham

Be careful what we say, we haven't seen either Duffy or Diop start for us yet.

Caedal

Playing that high line that they employ doesnt really suit his game. Defensively I think Klopp needs a rethink. They are so susceptible to the ball over the top

VVD has looked terrible recently aswell, and they are getting constantly exposed down their right side as Trent refuses to do anything defensively

hovewhite

It seems a lot of defenders not at there best, thankfully we have ream and tosin

Dodgin

Bassey the warrior

He's had some bad games but also some good games, don't forget Van Dijk has looked a bit dodgy at times as well. I think Liverpool's midfield aren't protecting the defence. I for one would've been delighted to get Gomez, think he'd have been brilliant for us.

Jules

He's still way better than Diop!! That Crawley performance was a shocker. He was equally bad for WHU at Kidderminster I believe.

Carborundum

Thought he looked highly competent against Everton.  They all have the odd bad game, but Liverpool's problems are in midfield. Lose that battle and any defence will look ropey - remember Hughes and Hangeland after Jol came in and our midfield imploded.  They were torn apart.

The defining moment of Liverpool's season may yet turn out to be on the first day and involve Mitro. Nothing to do with VVD or TA-A, but the way Mitro monstered Henderson on his way to making VVD look silly.  That told everyone all about Liverpool's midfield.  In the age-old vernacular of the Sunday league touchline: "They don't want it".  As damning an assessment as there can be.

Anyone picking up Gomez from the wreckage of what seems likely to happen at Liverpool should do alright with him.  In the meantime, pass the popcorn.

copthornemike

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 08, 2022, 10:49:49 AM
He's had some bad games but also some good games, don't forget Van Dijk has looked a bit dodgy at times as well. I think Liverpool's midfield aren't protecting the defence. I for one would've been delighted to get Gomez, think he'd have been brilliant for us.
You make a good point about the midfield.
A significant reason for our own defence being so much better than many of expected so far, in my opinion, is significantly down to the defensive quality, organisation and effective press of our midfield. Have to say the performances of Ream in addition this season have really surprised me in a good way.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Carborundum on September 08, 2022, 08:29:15 PM
Thought he looked highly competent against Everton.  They all have the odd bad game, but Liverpool's problems are in midfield. Lose that battle and any defence will look ropey - remember Hughes and Hangeland after Jol came in and our midfield imploded.  They were torn apart.

The defining moment of Liverpool's season may yet turn out to be on the first day and involve Mitro. Nothing to do with VVD or TA-A, but the way Mitro monstered Henderson on his way to making VVD look silly.  That told everyone all about Liverpool's midfield.  In the age-old vernacular of the Sunday league touchline: "They don't want it".  As damning an assessment as there can be.

Anyone picking up Gomez from the wreckage of what seems likely to happen at Liverpool should do alright with him.  In the meantime, pass the popcorn.

You are right about Liverpool's midfield. Without Thiago there is no creativity and they can't hurt the good teams who press. Puts a ton of pressure on the that high line from direct play.

If it weren't for Diaz continuing to hit wonder goals, they would be down with Everton right now.  Klopp's biggest error has been overperforming his spend the first few seasons and now he is expected to keep doing it every season without anywhere near the investment of Chelsea and the Manchester clubs.

roberto w6

Quote from: filham on September 08, 2022, 09:34:39 AM

So true. I think Duffy will come in and do a job as cover with physicality and effort rather than ball-playing skill.
I was totally deflated when we signed Diop, based on games I'd seen on TV and what West Ham fans had told me. I so hope he proves me wrong. Something tells me that SIlva has not been impressed or we might have seen him replace Tosin after some of his performances this year.
I still think we should be looking at CBs out of contract and in the January window. WHilst we have 2 new bodies at CB, I still don't think we have the quality cover we need and Ream cannot go on forever.

Sting of the North

Quote from: roberto w6 on September 10, 2022, 09:35:55 AM
Quote from: filham on September 08, 2022, 09:34:39 AM

So true. I think Duffy will come in and do a job as cover with physicality and effort rather than ball-playing skill.
I was totally deflated when we signed Diop, based on games I'd seen on TV and what West Ham fans had told me. I so hope he proves me wrong. Something tells me that SIlva has not been impressed or we might have seen him replace Tosin after some of his performances this year.
I still think we should be looking at CBs out of contract and in the January window. WHilst we have 2 new bodies at CB, I still don't think we have the quality cover we need and Ream cannot go on forever.

I think there are two reasons why Silva haven't played Diop much yet, and neither is that he hasn't been impressed with Diop (this may or may not also be the case, but it is not a conclusion I would reach at this point). The first reason is that Diop comes from a long period of not playing regularly and he is new to this team. The second is that I believe Silva agrees with some of us that Tosin and Ream have been superb both as individuals and more importantly as a pairing. To me it is very surprising that so many state that Tosin haven't been playing well, but we all see the games differently of course.