more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 01/10/22...

Started by WhiteJC, October 01, 2022, 07:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Newcastle: Allan Saint-Maximin unlikely to be fit for Fulham clash

A worrying claim has emerged on Newcastle United winger Allan Saint-Maximin and his current injury situation...

What's the talk?
Sky Sports journalist Keith Downie has claimed that the Frenchman is not likely to be in the matchday squad for the clash with Fulham on Saturday.

He tweeted:

"Callum Wilson & Bruno Guimaraes back for Newcastle at Fulham tomorrow, but Alex Isak misses out. Late calls on Allan Saint-Maximin & Chris Wood but it sounds unlikely they'll be involved #NUFC."

Magpies manager Eddie Howe refused to be definitive when asked about the winger's fitness but did admit that the gem is not far away from being fit, saying:

"He's doing well. He's had a period away but he's come back & he's close. There's a lot of moving parts with us at the moment. I'm being vague but that's because there are a few situations that are unclear going into the game – Allan is one of them."

Big blow for Howe
Saint-Maximin being 'unlikely' to feature against the Cottagers at the weekend should leave the Magpies head coach frustrated as his absence would be a big blow for the team.

The winger enjoyed a phenomenal start to the campaign as he caught the eye in the opening four games of the season. He averaged a SofaScore rating of 7.53 – higher than any other player in the squad – and chipped in with one goal and two assists from out wide, whilst completing 3.5 dribbles per match.

This comes after he produced five goals and five assists in 31 Premier League starts in 2021/22, along with 4.3 dribbles completed per outing.

Only Kieran Trippier (1.9) has created more chances per game than the former Nice man (1.8) this term and no other wide player in the squad has assisted a single goal.

Miguel Almiron and Ryan Fraser have been deployed on the wings during Saint-Maximin's spell on the sidelines and have mustered up one goal and zero assists between them, which suggests that there is a significant drop-off in quality between the Frenchman and his teammates in that position.

The aforementioned pair scored three goals and provided three assists combined in the top-flight last season and this shows that their struggles in the final third are not a new issue.

They do not have the quality to regularly contribute at the top end of the pitch and their lack of end product has played a part in the Magpies failing to win any of their last three matches – with the team scoring twice in that time.

Therefore, Saint-Maximin's continued absence is a big blow for Howe as he will not be able to call upon the wing wizard to be a difference-maker against Fulham.

https://www.footballfancast.com/newcastle-united-news/newcastle-allan-saint-maximin-fulham-premier-league-magpies

WhiteJC

Silva: Mitrovic 'does not need Newcastle motivation'
Marco Silva is adamant that Aleksandar Mitrovic won't need the motivation of facing his former club Newcastle tomorrow to keep his fine Fulham form going.

The Serbian striker, who brought his half century of international goals as his country won promotion in the Nations League in midweek, has started the season sensationally – scoring five goals as the Whites surged in the top six on their return to the top flight, surprising plenty of pundits.

The Fulham head coach told his pre-match press conference this afternoon:

Β  Β  "He doesn't need that motivation. He doesn't need to play against Newcastle to be motivated. Mitrovic is always full of motivation to play with a Fulham Football Club shirt or with his national team, that is the motivation for him, to play football matches, to be involved with his team-mates, to keep playing with his connection with me and my staff as well, that is the motivation for him, he doesn't need other motivations. After, when he is on the pitch, he is always doing something to help the team to win football matches."

Silva also revealed that left back Antonee Robinson is back in training but will face a fitness test. French international Layvin Kurzawa, on loan from Paris Saint Germain, could deputise for the American international having proved his own fitness after the Fulham boss opted to play Tim Ream at left back in the win at Nottingham Forest. He also had encouraging news on Welsh winger Harry Wilson, who is close to a return after suffering a knee ligament injury in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Aston VIlla.

Β  Β  "It's difficult to say (when he will be back), when you have this type of injury, in the knee, in that ligament. He could give some steps forward. But, after, something comes and you have some steps back. He's going normal, probably we expected him to be a bit more ready right now than he is, but in 10 to 15 days we can see him train, be more confident with the team and, after, it's up to him to get in the shape he can to be a solution for our team and the national team."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/09/silva-mitrovic-does-not-need-newcastle-motivation/

WhiteJC

Fulham U21 2-0 Everton U21

Everton Under-21s missed out on a chance to go top of the Premier League 2 table after falling to a 2-0 away defeat to Fulham on Friday evening.

Goals in either half - from Matthew Max Dibley-Dias and Terry Ablade - ensured all three points for the Cottagers, despite Paul Tait's side's best efforts in dreadful conditions in the capital.

Everton began the contest on the front foot and looked to utilise the attacking threat of Stanley Mills and Francis Okoronkwo on both wings.

It was Okoronkwo who fashioned the first chance of the game, but his curling effort was beaten away byΒ  Fulham goalkeeper George Wickens.

Everton shot-stopper Zan-Luk Leban was then called into action twice in quick succession - first displaying his reflexes to get down to keep out a low shot before making a diving save at full stretch moments later.

But the young Blues grew in confidence as the half wore on and the ever-dangerous Mills went close when he connected with Mackenzie Hunt's low cross.

Tom Cannon, a livelier throughout, then almost continued his excellent form in front of goal but was to be crowded out by a sea of Fulham defenders at the crucial moment.

Everton were then dealt a hammer blow as the opening period drew to a close when Dibley-Dias curled home an exquisite 20-yard finish beyond Leban to give the hosts the advantage.

Undeterred, the Toffees went about restoring parity with Mills going close again.

But frustrations were compounded just before the hour mark when Fulham doubled their lead, as forward Ablade applied a simple finish after a corner had rebounded off the woodwork.

As Everton continued to push for a way back into the match they almost conceded a third late on in bizarre circumstances. A huge 90-yard clearance from inside the Fulham penalty area got caught in the swirling wind and, fortunately, drifted wide of Leban's goal rather than into it.

Next up for the Under-21s is a trip to Harrogate Town in the EFL Papa John's Trophy on Tuesday evening.

https://www.evertonfc.com/match/79441/fulham-u21-everton-u21#report

WhiteJC

Fulham 'will not change' without Palhinha – Silva

Marco Silva insists Joao Palhinha's absence will not change Fulham's approach against Newcastle.

Palhinha will miss the game through suspension after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season in the 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest.

The 27-year-old has impressed since arriving from Sporting Lisbon in the summer, starting every Premier League game under boss Silva, and his suspension will likely see Nathaniel Chalobah or Tom Cairney come into the team and start alongside Harrison Reed in the middle of the park.

"He's an important player for us, no doubt about it," boss Silva said.

"He's settled really well. It's not a surprise for me because I know him very well and I expected a quick adaptation for him.

"Unfortunately he will not be there, so another one has to pop up and show his quality as well.

"For me, our idea will not change at all. Our values will be the same and the way we prepare the players to play in that position is the same way we prepare Joao.

"It will be a different profile, it will be a different player. We have the solution and the player is working really hard and well and will play, and it is a moment for him to pop up. But as a team, and our idea, we will not change.

"All the players that can play there, they know the role really well. It will not be because they don't do well that it will not be a good performance."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/silva-insists-absence-of-key-man-will-not-hurt-fulhams-chances-against-newcastle

WhiteJC

Dibley-Dias and Ablade edge out Everton
Goals from Matt Dibley-Dias and Terry Ablade ensured Fulham's under 21s returned to winning ways with an impressive victory over Everton at a wet Motspur Park this evening.

Cultured midfielder Dibley-Dias opened the scoring with a sensational strike from distance eight minutes before the break. The Brazilian broke the deadlock with a curling effort that flew into the top corner from out on the left flank, leaving a despairing Ε½an-Luk Leban in the Everton goal with absolutely no chance. Ablade gave Steve Wigley's side more breathing space when he rifled home after Ollie O'Neill's corner had caused chaos just before the hour mark as the young Whites bounced back from a narrow defeat at Manchester City a fortnight ago.

Everton, who missed out on the chance to go top of the table, had began brightly in dank conditions with Stan Mills seeing an early effort deflected wide and only a sharp save from the returning George Wickens preventing lively winger Francis Okoronkwo from putting the Toffees ahead. At the other end, Adrion Pajaziti twice took aim from distance. One drive was bravely blocked by Joe Anderson and the Kosovan under-21 international's second strike was saved by Leban.

Mills might have given the visitors the lead but he fired over from Mackenzie Hunt's cross and Fulham went straight down the other end to punish that miss. Dibley-Dias bent home a brilliant opener from 20 yards out, but the superb strike only served to galvanise Paul Tait's outfit. Everton almost responded instantly with Mills denied by a terrific one-handed save from Wickens.

Fulham, ahead at the break after an even first period, pushed to extend their lead after the interval. Pajaziti beat a pair of Everton defenders to deliver a low cross that eluded all of his team-mates trying to provide a telling touch, but the young Whites didn't have to wait long for the vital second goal. O'Neill's inswinging corner clattered against the woodwork and, with the away defenders slow to react, Ablade lashed home the rebound with relish.

The visitors threw men forward in search of a lifeline and Hunt wasted their best opening with eighteen minutes remaining. The full back found himself in an advanced position and did well to get away from Luciano D'Auria-Henry but shot straight at Wickens. Fulham might well have found a third in the closing stages with a first-time strike from Scottish under-21 international Connor McAvoy flashing fractionally wide, but this impressive return to form would have delighted the famously demanding Wigley.

FULHAM UNDER 21s (4-2-3-1): Wickens; D'Auria-Henry, Bowat, McAvoy, C. Robinson; Williams, Pajaziti; S?ekularac (Godo 76), O'Neill, Dibley-Dias; Ablade (de Fougerolles 87). Subs (not used): Borto, Sanderson, McFarlane.

BOOKED: McAvoy, Pajaziti, Williams.

GOALS: Dibley-Dias (38), Ablade (58).

EVERTON UNDER 21s (4-2-3-1): Leban; Mallon, Hunt, Campbell, Anderson; Quirk, Price; Okoronkwo (Kouyate 74), Mills (Djankpala 84), Whitaker (Samuels-Smith 63); Cannon. Subs (not used): Barrett.

BOOKED: Whitaker, Djankpala.

REFEREE: Wayne Cartmel.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/09/dibley-dias-and-ablade-edge-out-everton/

WhiteJC

"I'm good enough to play for all three" – says exciting Fulham winger eligible for Nigeria, England, and Bulgaria

The young forward has already represented the two European countries at the youth level

Fulham-owned attacker Sylvester Alexander Jasper has confessed he is still undecided about which country to represent at the international level.

Born in England to a Bulgarian mother and a Nigerian father, Sylvester Jasper is eligible to play for any of these three football-loving nations.

In 2016, Jasper made two appearances for the England U-15s. But last year, the exciting winger was called up to the Bulgarian under-21 side, featuring in four games since.

However, the 21-year-old can still represent the Super Eagles and the national teams of Bulgaria and England.

Presently on loan at Bristol Rovers, Jasper is aware he needs to put in the work at the club level to gain recognition from the country of his choice.

"My mum is fully Bulgarian; my dad is from Nigeria," Jasper told Bristol World. "Last season, I represented them for the first time.

"It was a nice experience; my family are from Bulgaria, my family got to see me play for the first time live, which was cool.

"I haven't decided what country I am going to be playing for yet.

"I could represent England, Nigeria, or Bulgaria. I feel like I am good enough to play for all three, personally.

"I'm taking it one step at a time.

"I've got to establish a place in the team and start playing how I know I can play. We'll see what happens."

Jasper has been on the pitch for only sixty minutes in League One for Bristol this term, spread across four second-half substitute appearances.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/10/im-good-enough-to-play-for-all-three-says-exciting-fulham-winger-eligible-for-nigeria-england-and-bulgaria.html

WhiteJC

Up next: Newcastle United (h)
Fulham's return to competitive action at Craven Cottage comes with no shortage of intrigue. Marco Silva's side have been far better than even the most ardent fans could have reasonably expected back in August. I don't know about you but it is entirely possible that my pulse is still racing following the euphoria of three glorious goals in six second-half minutes that totally turned around our Friday night in Nottingham a fortnight ago. Perhaps that wild evening on the banks of the River Trent serves as a reminder that the Whites can still prosper even if Aleksandar Mitrovic doesn't score. The Serbian striker, in the form of his life and fresh from bringing him a half century of international goals, didn't find the net at the City Ground but he played the perfect pass that released Bobby Decordova-Reid into acres of space for the vital third goal. The hulking number nine's eye for a defence-splitting remains underappreciated even now the talking heads are falling over themselves to talk about how wonderful he is.

The build up to this game against Newcastle has been predictably dominated by discussion of whether Mitrovic will be motivated to face his former employers. Silva scoffed at such a suggestion when it was put to him during yesterday's press conference. The Smederevo-born striker has never needed any extra incentive to play football, but his time on Tyneside was largely spent under managers who either didn't recognise his potential or failed to play his strengths. Mitrovic was close to leaving Fulham after Scott Parker mothballed him during our last depressing Premier League relegation, but he has been revitalised not just by Silva but the very Keegan-esque all-out attack approach that the Portuguese head coach has adopted. Mitrovic might fancy his chances of scoring a very first goal against his old club later on, but then he always backs his ability – and, why, would you?

The far more interesting angle ahead of this fixture comes when you consider the enforced absence of Joao Palhinha. Reece Parkinson, a Fulham fan, earnestly put forward the former Sporting Lisbon midfielder as the signing of the summer on MOTDx this week only to be treated as he if he taken a series of mind-altering substances and uttered the name of, say, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, instead by Jermaine Jenas. Nothing is more indicative of the poverty of modern punditry when Palhinha's peerless performances are dismissed as a flash in the pan by a celebrity pundit, particularly one who played in central midfield. As Peter Rutzler detailed yesterday, the 28 year-old has been pivotal to allow Fulham to fully attack the Premier League – and the key question is how upset would Silva have been with his star man for collecting a fifth booking by celebrating his superb strike by vaulting the advertising hoardings and celebrating with the away fans? The passionate Palhinha has more picked up more cards than Clinton's in his short time in England – and this booking was very avoidable.

It leaves Silva with a serious selection dilemma. The obvious replacement for his compatriot in central midfield would be Nathaniel Chalobah, a one-time England international who excited everyone when he was excelling on loan having progressed through the other SW6 academy. Chalobah looked a smart acquisition on deadline day last summer but has yet to convince in Fulham shirt, with many of his displays short of the bite and tempo that Silva's side have delivered this term. Now 27, he will need to fulfil that undoubted potential soon – and where better to do so than in a prime time Premier League outing against new-money Newcastle?

Silva's other option is to deploy Harrison Reed as the conventional number six many of us think he is and either ask Andreas Pereira, hitherto seen as a number ten by the Fulham faithful, or club captain Tom Cairney to drop deeper in central midfield. But Reed has now broken his goalscoring duck and pops up in interesting places to supplement Fulham's attack. Eddie Howe's Newcastle haven't won in six league games since beating Forest on the opening weekend and this could be the bold move that fits with Silva's gung-ho philosophy. Never before has a player become so critical to Fulham's chances after seven games, but the Whites will warmly welcome Palhinha back when he returns from that pesky one-match ban.

The Fulham boss has shown his unpredictability in selection already. The absence of Antonee Robinson saw him shunt Tim Ream across to left back at Forest and accommodate Issa Diop at the heart of the defence. That successful experiment appears unlikely to continue with the rapid Robinson set to undergo a fitness test this morning and Layvin Kurzawa now ready in reserve. There has been some online talk of playing Diop as a midfield destroyer on account of his height, size and the comfort on the ball he exhibited against Forest but there isn't the need to start putting square pegs in round holes at present.

Newcastle's push for the marquee places in the Premier League having been bankrolled by the Saudi millions might look like it has stalled under Howe, but these projects – as they are now universally described in the footballing world – often have rocky starts. Howe, one of the best young managers in the country, has plenty of talent at his disposal and, should he be given the time, is capable of fashioning the Magpies into the sort of side that thrilled the country so gloriously in the nineties. He will be waiting to see whether Chris Wood and Allan Saint-Maximim can take any part at all today, but the return to fitness of both Callum Wilson – who has scored three in his last three top-flight appearances against Fulham – and the brilliant Bruno Guimaraes (back following a hamstring problem) serve as a significant boost. games with a hamstring injury.

Newcastle's injury list remains lengthy. Swedish striker Alexander Isak hasn't travelled to London after picking up a thigh complain, whilst Karl Darlow, Emil Krafth and Jonjo Shelvey are also missing. It is a time for understudies to shine and the Geordies do have a good recent record at the Cottage, having handed out two severe beatings to Parker teams coming to terms with relegation. This afternoon also offers Fulham fans the chance to welcome back to two former players. Matt Targett has looked at home in the top flight since leaving Southampton and not continuing his excellent link-up with Ryan Sessegnon post-Wembley 2018 still seems a mistake. Slavisa Jokanovic jettisoned Dan Burn because the tall centre back couldn't play out from the back – something the Darlington born centre-back, now the Premier League's tallest player, disputed. Burn, always a hard worker, went and proved himself winning promotion at Brighton and helping the Seagulls establish themselves in the top flight before moving home to Newcastle, where he's quickly become a fans' favourite. Both should get a warm reception on their return.

The Magpies might be a false position – and there is a sense that their performances haven't been properly rewarded in the points column. Only Liverpool have beaten them in the league this season and that was courtesy of a Fabio Carvalho strike in the 98th minute. Howe will know that wins are essential and Newcastle would love to record three successive league wins Fulham for the first time. They will be tricky opponents regardless of the precise composition of their starting eleven and the Whites will need to channel some of the spirit of yesteryear to prosper. Think Louis Saha curling in a sensational strike at Putney End in 2001, Sylvain Legwinski and Lee Clark turning around Chris Coleman's first game in the dug out, Damien Duff silencing the boo boys on a cold winter's night or Clint Dempsey helping himself to a hat-trick as Fulham roared back from 2-0 down. All history is apparently bunk these days, so Silva's side will seek to write a new chapter of their own this afternoon.

MY FULHAM XI (4-2-3-1): Leno; Tete, A. Robinson, Adarabioyo, Ream; Chalobah, Reed; James, Decordova-Reid, Pereira; Mitrovic. Subs: Rodak, Mbabu, Kurzawa, Diop, Duffy, Cairney, Harris, Willian, Vinicius.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/10/up-next-newcastle-united-h/

WhiteJC

Newcastle team v Fulham predicted after Eddie Howe update – Two changes

Looking forward to seeing this Newcastle team v Fulham.

Eddie Howe and his team looking to get their second Premier League victory of the season.

It is eight weeks since that dominant display and win against Forest on the opening day and whilst there have been further dominant displays and indeed inspirational ones (Man City), wins have proved elusive. Five draws and that late late defeat at Liverpool having followed that three points on Saturday 6 August.

So, what can we expect the Newcastle team v Fulham to be?

As a starting point...

This was the Newcastle team v Bournemouth for that 1-1 draw two weeks ago, before international football interrupted:

Pope, Trippier, Schar, Burn, Targett, Bruno, Willock, Joelinton, Almiron, Fraser, Isak

Three days ago, Newcastle United released their usual weekly training images of the first team squad.

However, there were far few photos than normal AND far fewer players could be seen! As well as four photos with only Eddie Howe in picture, there were only the seven first team squad players who could be seen in the others.

The Newcastle United head coach clearly not wanting to give Marco Silva early indications on who is fit and likely to play.

All eyes then turned to Friday and Eddie Howe's press conference, where he DID give a detailed outline of where Newcastle United are at in terms of injuries / fitness/ availability.

As well as longer-term injured Darlow, Shelvey and Krafth, the head coach confirmed that Alexander Isak would also miss this Fulham game.

In better news, Eddie Howe telling journalists and fans that Callum Wilson, Bruno Guimaraes and Elliot Anderson are all available for today.

Whilst as for Chris Wood and Allan Saint-Maximin, Howe said he wasn't sure himself as to whether they would make the matchday squad, though even if they do, the head coach seemingly indicating they wouldn't be considered for the starting eleven.

So where does this leave us when predicting what the Newcastle team v Fulham will be?

Nick Pope starting in goal obviously, only the one goal conceded in his last three hours of NUFC football and three clean sheets already in the seven PL matches.

Trippier and Targett at full-back.

In the middle though, I am predicting a surprise.

Eddie Howe has already shown that like Rafa Benitez, he will at times prefer to use some players straight after an international break who he has been able to work with, springing surprises and playing them ahead of those who have been away with their countries.

In this instance, I think Sven Botman will come in and play alongside Dan Burn, Fabian Schar dropping to the bench. Eddie Howe made clear when Botman signed, that he saw him as comfortably playing as the right side central defender, as well as playing on the left side. The primarily left-footed Dutch defender having done this previously in his career.

I think as well that with a physical Mitrovic, having both Burn and Botman will be ideal, up against the former NUFC striker who is in hot form. Ten goals this season for club and country in only nine starts. Eddie Howe of course having had this past two weeks to work on a potential Botman / Burn partnership playing at Craven Cottage.

Great to hear Bruno Guimaraes is fit to start after coming home early from international duty to ensure that (he would be able to play for Newcastle today).

With Joelinton and Willock set to continue in midfield as well, that leaves the forward trio.

Callum Wilson in for the injured Alexander Isak looks nailed on.

Whilst hopefully we can see more goal threat and creativity from Almiron and Fraser.

Both have been away on international duty and hoping Ryan Fraser in particular will have been boosted by his two assists for Scotland and the fact he helped them top their Nations League group. With ASM and other injuries, there aren't a host of other options to come into the team, certainly Murphy putting no pressure on those who are playing. Elliot Anderson is an exciting prospect for sure and great to have him back as well today as an option from the bench, his time will come this season as a starter in the first team, but Eddie Howe very unlikely to throw him in just yet in his Premier League starting eleven.

Predicted Newcastle team v Fulham:

Pope, Trippier, Botman, Burn, Targett, Bruno, Willock, Joelinton, Almiron, Fraser, Wilson

So, I think Eddie Howe will make two changes, Callum Wilson in for the injured Alexander Isak and Sven Botman replacing Fabian Schar.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2022/10/newcastle-team-v-fulham-predicted-after-eddie-howe-update-two-changes-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Eddie Howe has his say on ex-Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic
Aleksandar Mitrovic has already scored six Premier League goals this season – and Eddie Howe's players have worked all week on stopping him.

Mitrovic was sold to Fulham by then-Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez four years ago. And the striker goes into this afternoon's game full of confidence, having netted four times for Serbia during the international break to take his tally for club and country into double figures.

Howe and his squad have worked diligently on a plan to stop Mitrovic – and the supply to him.

"He's got very good strengths, obvious strengths," said United's head coach. "We have worked on, as we would every opposition, details, not just for our defenders, but for our team to try and stop him and stop the supply to him.

Fulham, promoted from the Championship last season, are sixth in the table with 11 point, three more than 10th-placed Newcastle, who have won just once so far this season.

And Howe was asked for his view on the early-success form of Marco Silva's team.

"Firstly, the centre-forward, Mitrovic, last year had an incredible season," said Howe. "But he's carried that into this (season), not just for his club, but for his country. I think if you have a striker in that form, with the potency he has at the moment, that's a really good foundation for success.

"Then, off the back of that, they have a very good structure. I think Marco's done a very, very good job."

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/eddie-howe-has-his-say-on-ex-newcastle-united-striker-aleksandar-mitrovic-3863736

WhiteJC

Fulham quartet 'doubts' for Newcastle United clash - plus Aleksandar Mitrovic injury latest

Fulham team news ahead of Newcastle United's Premier League clash in the capital.

Fulham will be without at least three senior players for the visit of Newcastle United this afternoon.

Cottagers boss Marco Silva confirmed on Friday afternoon that Joao Palhinha, Harry Wilson and Manor Solomon are ruled out.

Key midfielder Palhinha, who joined from Sporting Lisbon in the summer, is suspended in what is perhaps the West London outfit's biggest absence.

"He's an important player for us, no doubt about it," Silva said. "He's settled really well.

"No surprise for me. I know him very well. I expected a quick adaptation from him. I think the Premier League suits him really well.

"JoΓ£o is one of the players that settled really well, showing his quality. Unfortunately, he will not be there, so another one has to pop up and show his quality as well."

Wilson and Solomon are both recovering from their respective knee injuries, while Silva labelled Antonee Robinson as "doubtful".

Robinson is among several players being assessed ahead of kick-off, according to Silva.

The former Everton manager said: "Let's see what I decide tomorrow. He's doubtful for tomorrow. He's trained with us some days during this week, and let's see.

"The others we have to assess in the next hours, and tomorrow as well, to decide."

Latest on Aleksandar Mitrovic's fitness
Silva hinted that Aleksandar Mitrovic is available to face his former club despite picking up a knock on international duty with Serbia in midweek.

The 28-year-old scored 43 goals in the Championship last season and has continued that form in the Premier League with six goals in seven matches so far.

"He doesn't need that motivation (of playing against his former club), he doesn't need to play against Newcastle to be motivated," Silva said.

"Mitrovic is always full of motivation to play with a Fulham Football Club shirt or with his national team, that is the motivation for him, to play football matches, to be involved with his team-mates, to keep playing with his connection with me and my staff as well, that is the motivation for him, he doesn't need other motivations.

"After, when he is on the pitch, he is always doing something to help the team to win football matches."

Mitrovic, after joining from Anderlecht in 2015, scored 17 goals in 72 appearances for Newcastle before being sold by Rafa Benitez.

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/fulham-quartet-doubts-for-newcastle-united-clash-plus-aleksandar-mitrovic-injury-latest-3863266

WhiteJC

On-loan Fulham player Sylvester Jasper drops "confident" Bristol Rovers claim

Bristol Rovers were one of the better teams in League Two come the end of the last campaign, as showcased by their rise back up into the third tier.

However, their start to life back in League One hasn't gone as they would have liked so far, with the club dropping down the division and towards the relegation places again.

One man who is determined to make an impact with the Gas though and hopefully get more game time for the club, as well as fire in the goals to help take them up the table, is Sylvester Jasper, who is currently on loan from Fulham. He told Bristol World that he "knows he is capable" of helping the team and playing more.

The 21-year-old has played only three times for the Cottagers so far in his career and it has meant spending plenty of time out on loan to get the playing time he wants and needs. After a pretty decent spell with Colchester, he was then sent to Scotland last season with Hibernian, where he played in 16 games.

Now, Fulham have agreed to another short-term deal for the forward, with Jasper heading to League One with Rovers. As of yet though, he has only featured in four games and has yet to find the back of the net – and the youngster is determined to both get on the field more and also to be more prolific in front of goal.

Speaking about his longing for more game time, he said: "Coming off of the back of last season, I looked at adding more goals to my game. I was like cool that I am playing well and doing all these nice things but now I need to start scoring more. That's the thing I have been learning for myself, it's definitely a thing I have been working on.

"All I wanna do is play football and just help the team as much as I can. I know I am capable and will play more, the team will be better, so I am confident. I have come here to play games and not just sit around. Hopefully with the performances when I come on and in training, the gaffer can see that I deserve a start."

The Verdict
Jasper might not have been able to play too frequently yet but it is a long season and he should have ample opportunity to get on the field with Bristol Rovers.

The Gas have shown they are not afraid to use him by letting him play in four games so far but he is still only young and will still need to adapt and get used to the league. That might take some time and some weeks of training but if he continues to work hard, the chances will surely come.

If Rovers also continue to falter in League One, then that could also prompt Joey Barton to throw him into the side more. If things aren't working with the current starting eleven in the league, then that could mean Jasper has the opportunity to come in and try and create things and win games for the side.

If he gets a chance and takes it, then there is no reason why he couldn't become a first-team regular for Rovers this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/on-loan-fulham-player-sylvester-jasper-drops-confident-bristol-rovers-claim/

WhiteJC

Kevin McDonald: Fulham's heartbeat
Every Fulham fan has a Kevin McDonald memory. From that scrambled, scrappy goal at Barnsley that went in off his backside to the blockboster at Millwall, some will be decisive moments in matches. Others will be deeply personal and hint at the Scot's unique character. One Fulham fan I know tells me of how he shared the news that he'd contracted coronavirus in the early stages of the pandemic with a WhatsApp group that contained over a hundred fellow Fulham fanatics. Two hours later, he received a message from an unknown number. It was a video from McDonald expressing his sympathy, wishing him well and telling him it was nothing to worry about.

That was typical of McDonald, who made a decisive difference on and off the pitch almost as known as Fulham finally concluded their two-year pursuit to bring the Carnoustie-born meticulous midfielder from Wolves to Craven Cottage. Knowing what we now do about his remarkable battle with kidney disease after he publicised the impending – and thankfully successful – transplant provided by his brother in his final months with the club, McDonald's entire career seems incredible. You'd never have known he was fighting his own body at the same time as he provided security, reassurance and no little intelligence at the base of a midfield magically reshaped by Slavisa Jokanovic.

The understanding between McDonald, who revealed recently that he had never played as deep as where Jokanovic deployed him in a storied career that saw him win promotions with Wolves, Sheffield United and Burnley before decamping from the west Midlands to the capital. In typical McDonald fashion, he turned up for the medical after a heavy night and there was worry from both sides about whether the deal to bring in the defensive midfielder Fulham badly needed would go through. It did and the rest is history. The understanding between our three midfield musketeers – McDonald, Stefan Johansen and Tom Cairney – appeared almost telepathic at times and was a key reason why the Whites suddenly looked like promotion contenders in Jokanovic's first full campaign at the helm and then put together than remarkable 23-match unbeaten run that took a stuttering side to the brink of automatic promotion.

The play-off final at a sunkissed Wembley was a day that will live long in the memory of those who were lucky enough to witness. There was the gnawing nervousness at the pit of our stomachs as we waited for the 5.30pm kick off time. We all marvelled at the magnificence of the white wall. Then came the euphoria of a Fulham goal at Wembley, with Cairney classily converting Ryan Sessegnon's superb through ball. For a brief moment, it looked like it might be plain sailing. But Fulham don't do things that easily. Denis Odoi's sending off sent my heart rate into the stratosphere. Marshalling a slender lead against the favourites with ten men called for calm.

We all remember Marcus Bettinelli saving from Jack Grealish, but McDonald's sliding challenge denied the man who's now one of England's most creative players a clear shot on goal. He was there organising the back four, bellowing out in instructions, screaming at the midfield to drop deeper and pointing at his forehead demanding concentration in the closing stages. Ollie Norwood's perfectly timed tackle to thwart Conor Hourihane was iconic, but – not for the first time – Fulham would have been dead and buried without McDonald's leadership.

Cairney wore the armband – and has grown in the captaincy – but McDonald was the heartbeat of this and several other successful Fulham sides. He was the one who led the celebrations in front of the Fulham faithful once the trophy had been lifted, exhorting us all to enjoy one of the finest days in the club's history. He could often be seen given the final words in the huddle before kick off that season and the same was true after promotion had been secured in the Wembley dressing rooms. One of my favourite photographs – taken by lifelong fan Javier Garcia – captures McDonald talking to his team-mates and praising the unsung heroes, the club staff not in the dressing room, the volunteers, coaches and the fans who had done so much to take the Whites to the top flight.

Elite sport rarely provides fairytale endings and, in Fulham's dash to try and compete after that magical day in north west London, big money signings replaced the backbone of a side who understood the fabric of London's oldest professional football club without any of the application. McDonald rarely featured in the campaign that followed, split between three managers, but proved his worth again the following season as the Whites bounced back from relegation. His tumble down the stairs after Joe Bryan's brilliant free-kick against Brentford is arguably as iconic as anything else he managed in the white shirt.

My own encounters with a man whose influence was legendary were limited but instructive. He once spotted me walking out of Motspur Park after a meeting and accompanied on foot almost all the way to the station, even though he was probably going the other way after training. We talked about football, my cerebral palsy and Scotland. Fiercely patriotic, McDonald was proud to have played for his country. He certainly should have had more caps.

His time at Fulham came to a low key end, with his need for dialysis and a transplant throwing his playing career into significant doubt. It is a testament to McDonald's strength of character that he returned to his home city to play for Dundee United last term. Plenty of fans signed the card that the Fulham Supporters' Trust put together as he prepared for his transplant, but we haven't had the opportunity to pay tribute to a man who is more than his mere statistics until this afternoon. McDonald, who has been training with Fulham's under 21s as he continues to amass coaching experience, will receive a richly deserved Forever Fulham award from the club's non-executive director David Daly at half-time this afternoon. I know the stands often empty ahead of the interval for people to get liquid refreshment, and normally Kev would heartily approve, but we should all stay in our seats to give the big man the rapturous reception he deserves.

Thanks for everything, Kev.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/10/kevin-mcdonald-fulhams-heartbeat/

WhiteJC

Callum Wilson can outshine Aleksandar Mitrovic if Newcastle's widemen exploit Fulham's weakness

Fulham are performing well but their strength can be turned against then, and Newcastle have the pefect man for that

Whenever Fulham are mentioned the talk is inevitably of Aleksandar Mitrovic who has turned into a goal machine. However I think it can be about another centre-forward at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon.

The long-awaited return of Callum Wilson to United's front line can have a significant impact on the outcome of the match. Because Fulham's strength is also their weakness. Let me explain. They are hugely dangerous on both flanks, get to the by-line and whip the ball in which is why Mitrovic has thrived.

However they are vulnerable to that very same tactic themselves which is why I want Newcastle's wide players to do their job properly because the return of Wilson means they will have exactly the right man waiting to be fed. All good strikers need only a quarter of an inch of space in which to work and that is all Callum requires.

If his wide men get round the back of the Fulham full-backs and cross Wilson will be there sniffing. However every striker needs service. I was lucky, I had Stewart Barrowclough on the right side and Terry Hibbitt on the left. I knew exactly what both would do. Barra would hit the dead ball line and square it at pace. Hibby would also cross immediately but he played more angles. They were, however, both deadly reliable.

The trouble with the likes of Miggy Almiron is that when he's done his work instead of feeding his centre-forward he cuts back on to the other foot and starts all over again. He would infuriate me as a player so much.

It is going to be tough at Craven Cottage, make no mistake. Fulham are unbeaten at home and are sixth in the table. I keep in touch with a lot of their old players from when I was manager there and they are not worried about relegation this season. Marco Silva is a good coach and he has them playing good stuff.

While they have weaknesses at the back they flow forward and cause all sorts of trouble. Mind you, United are disciplined defensively and if Mitrovic plays after hurting his right ankle on international duty I think Dan Burn is the central defender best equipped to mark him and do it well.

Mitro likes to bully defenders but he would not be able to do that to Burn. United have had far too many draws this season, no question about that. However I would accept one at Fulham. It would be well earned whereas the draws with Wolves, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth were disappointing.

By the way I am delighted by the fact that Newcastle have completed the signing of exciting young forward Garang Kuol from the other side of the world. The 18-year-old is arriving from Australian A-League side Central Coast Mariners with his signing officially kicking in come January.

United's academy was shockingly ignored by Mike Ashley who simply wanted a make a quick buck on players but now it is being built up with some interesting imports. To unearth one in Australia shows how thorough my old club are these days.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-fulham-wilson-mitrovic-25144995

WhiteJC