Main Menu

Penalty or not for Fulham

Started by The Swan, October 20, 2022, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

The Swan

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Lighthouse

It is what the rules are nowadays. But it is ridiculous. There was  no intent just his hand away from his body. But Mitro never convinces me from the spot.

Still after the last three games we had the luck today. A stupid sending off, an own goal and a penalty.

But there is no doubt that we were the only side playing. They cleared off the line in the first half and never looked like bothering our defenders.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FulhamForThought

Under the current rules it was a penalty. The red card is more debatable for me.

LC

Well it hit the defenders hand and from the angle I saw it from it was flying in the back of the net, so it must be a penalty

Lighthouse

Quote from: FulhamForThought on October 20, 2022, 09:34:16 PM
Under the current rules it was a penalty. The red card is more debatable for me.

Once you put your head against an opponent it is an offence.

He was silly to get sucked into it and Mitro was then hit by a sniper shot from the stands. Mitro lucky not to be booked. But yes a sending off for me.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Blawarmy

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 20, 2022, 09:59:59 PM
Quote from: FulhamForThought on October 20, 2022, 09:34:16 PM

Once you put your head against an opponent it is an offence.

He was silly to get sucked into it and Mitro was then hit by a sniper shot from the stands. Mitro lucky not to be booked. But yes a sending off for me.
Violent conduct all the way.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Herbie

Definite penalty.  It wasn't just a touch, his arm deflected the ball.

As for the red, if the roles were reversed I'd be disappointed with the decision.  That being said, I can see why the decision was made.

RaySmith

Quote from: Herbie on October 21, 2022, 04:25:03 AM
Definite penalty.  It wasn't just a touch, his arm deflected the ball.

As for the red, if the roles were reversed I'd be disappointed with the decision.  That being said, I can see why the decision was made.

That movement of the head into an opponent's face is always a red, though seldom much more than a gesture.

toshes mate

Quote from: The Swan on October 20, 2022, 08:55:31 PM
Mitro just about scores.
There are no just abouts in the scoring game but the Villa keeper was one of the few opponents who really tried hard throughout. 

H4usuallysitting

fulhamfan

feels like justice for the west ham game but yeh the rules are all over the place

Sgt Fulham

Correctly given but its a tough situation. You would like referees to use a bit of common sense in these cases, but most refs lack that crucial ingredient and so leaves room for bias. Perhaps they need to define the rule mathematically to give the defender a bit of a chance, but that's a whole other can of worms.

bigalffc

In the old days "ball to hand" would not be given. Things have changed now hence defenders putting their hands behind their backs. Pen on todays refereeing
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

EN1 FFC

It's handball, it is stopping the ball in the penalty area from going into the danger zone, and from the Kebano (OG) we can see what chaos a cross can cause.. If it had hit the defenders body then his hand then it's not handball.

copthornemike

Would have been disappointed if we had conceded a penalty in the same manner.
Mitro's shot had some power but it was goal bound and if it had hit Cash's outstretched arm directly fair  enough. But the ball came off Cash's knee initially so a change of direction onto his arm / hand - that  is where the decision became debatable.

simplyfulham

It's not a penalty and was exceptionally harsh.

The guidelines are that the velocity of the ball and the distance of the contact are to be taken into consideration.

Cash is dead close and Mitro has fizzed it in. That shouldn't have been given imo.

Then again, the rules and guidelines are bonkers these days... so you win some and you lose some.

Somerset Fulham

A really harsh penalty but it is within the rules.  The rules are a complete arse.

Its weird because despite absolutely battering them, if a couple of decisions had gone their way then Villa could have escaped with a nil nil draw last night.

filham

Yes, the penalty and the red card were correct decisions but tight ones. Referees' decisions do sometimes go our way , lets remember this next time they go against us and refrain from abusing the poor old ref who has a difficult job.