watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Last Night's Referee

Started by Southcoastffc, October 21, 2022, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Michael Oliver - a very good game IMO.  One of the best referees I think.  The red card and penalty were both 'soft' but he applied the rules.  Controlled the game well, had a word instead of throwing cards about, gave a couple of yellows only when he 'had to'.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes, he did what he had to do and as you say applied the rules as he saw it.
Cannot ask for more than that.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

FFC In Oz

The penalty was there IMO - arm was in quite an unnatural position, regardless of how close Mitro was to Cash.  Wouldn't have been enough to overturn it if he hadn't paid it initially though.

Red was probably a bit soft, but there's been a bit of a transition to the "look" of the foul rather than the actual level of contact.  Headbutts are a terrible look so any kind of forward motion is likely to be deemed as violent conduct, even if the contact is incidental.

We Are Premier League

Haven't seen a replay but think they had a potential penalty claim on Leno at one stage in the 2nd half, generally felt like we had most of the big 50/50 decision go our way (for once).

FFC In Oz

Quote from: We Are Premier League on October 21, 2022, 02:12:04 PM
Haven't seen a replay but think they had a potential penalty claim on Leno at one stage in the 2nd half, generally felt like we had most of the big 50/50 decision go our way (for once).

I think Watkins kinda pulled out of that one a little bit. If he went a bit harder and got a clear first touch he would have drawn the penalty for sure.  Leno got enough of the ball, VAR didn't even have a look at it.

fulhamfan

if the decisions went the other way we'd be going mad

Somerset Fulham

I do think that the penalty decision although strictly correct was very harsh. I also think that the decision to give the penalty affected the third goal where no Villa defender slid at Kebano to try to stop the shot/cross.

We thoroughly deserved the win, but it was a harsh way to take a (deserved) loss if you are a Villa fan.

Wolf

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 21, 2022, 02:31:09 PM
I do think that the penalty decision although strictly correct was very harsh.

I strongly disagree. Cash's arms are widespread in order to maximise a legitimate block of the ball with his body. Mitrovic's shot hits Cash's outstretched arm. So an outstretched arm away from the body blocks a shot, in recompense the attacking team are awarded a shot from the penalty spot (which ultimately crept over the line). How is this harsh? Its been applied consistently since the mid 90s.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

bobbo

Micheal Oliver , IMO is the best ref in the league , he's been there since he was quite young and now got so much experience under his belt .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Ara's bacon crisps

I heaved a sigh of relief when I saw he was in charge. He's had experience of some very difficult situations in Europe and is clearly the better for it. From a dwindling talent pool because of the excessive abuse referees receive and many giving up because of it, he is as good as any at the moment. Looks slight, but clearly has authority amongst players because of his unfussy and decisive style and a clear refusal to enter into long discussions with them over every perceived injustice.

Woolly Mammoth

If the penalty had not been awarded, the referee would have been accused of favouring Villa.
The referee applied the rules of the game, he cannot be faulted.
The arms were way spread out which halted the flight and direction of the ball, that is a penalty. Any other part of the pitch it would be a direct free kick.
Referees are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fulhamfever

Does Cash need to fling himself on the floor to block the shot absolutely not he could of stood Mitrovic up and blocked it with his feet he chose to fling himself to the ground with arms outstretched.

bog

Michael Oliver is a very respected referee and quite rightly so.  :54:

092.gif   

HamsterWheel

Suspect we got a decent ref because the Prem realised that it was a big game that could well lead to Stevie G's sacking. Certainly Oliver is way better than the usual dross they punish Fulham with.