watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Let’s not get carried away

Started by ffcthereligion, October 30, 2022, 05:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hovewhite

It almost like your negative when it comes  to fulham and you expect faliure ,I'm thinking top 12 come the end of the season and very happy with Marco the staff and players .

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 30, 2022, 09:15:55 PM
But what does "let's not get carried away" mean? I have hardly seen anyone express the view that the rest of the season will be easy, or that we are a sure thing for Europe. Still don't see the point, but maybe it's a "me problem". Also, in total so far our results are in my opinion some way above what would have been reasonably expected before the season. Again, maybe that's just me. 

No problem and for what it's worth I tend to agree with what you say appreciate we could be quabbling over phraseology rather than meanings.

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=87867.0

That thread is a good example. I remember contributing and being very positive myself. But if you look at it the predicted vs actual points haul shows many of our fans are getting a bit carried away. Just don't want the attitude to get too comfortable is all

Sting of the North

Fair enough, thanks for the post.

082.gif

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 30, 2022, 10:11:31 PM
But what does "let's not get carried away" mean? I have hardly seen anyone express the view that the rest of the season will be easy, or that we are a sure thing for Europe. Still don't see the point, but maybe it's a "me problem". Also, in total so far our results are in my opinion some way above what would have been reasonably expected before the season. Again, maybe that's just me. 

No problem and for what it's worth I tend to agree with what you say appreciate we could be quabbling over phraseology rather than meanings.

That thread is a good example. I remember contributing and being very positive myself. But if you look at it the predicted vs actual points haul shows many of our fans are getting a bit carried away. Just don't want the attitude to get too comfortable is all

I do actually agree with that, it is by no means a done deal yet but I would be very surprised if we get relegated after a start such as outs.

SerbianLad

Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 30, 2022, 10:11:31 PM

I think this thread was before I signed up, but I don't think it's as simple as you make it seem. Nobody could have predicted a red card within first 5 minutes against Newcastle. Considering our other performances at home that could have easily been a draw at least. West Ham scored 3 illegal goals. We won 8/12 from the rest and the two games where we drew we were the better side and deserved a win. (also this thread was before Mitro became injured which was another thing people didn't consider when making those predictions)

Make no mistake, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, and every game will be tough, but I don't think those predictions were that far-off from what actually happened. Had we not been unlucky and had Chalobah not been Chalobah, we would have got 4- 6 more points at least. In my opinion at least, of course.

Cobh Fulham Fan

I dont know what the fuss is about here.  What is wrong with supporters having confidence in their team and manager, and how does that equate with getting carried away.  I ask this in spite of knowing what can go wrong, with injuries, bad refereeing decisions and the days when the ball refuses to go in like yesterday etc.

You are what you think.  If we all think we are in a relegation battle now, then thats probably where we'll be at the end of the campaign.  Could you imagine what would happen if Silva told his players to reign in their ambitions and behave as if they are in a relegation battle.

I think the majority of our supporters recognises that our team are 7th in the table because they earned it, not through luck but by hard effort and few are getting carried away at this stage, but because of the confidence the team has inspired in our supporters, it should not come as surprise that very few now believe Fulham will be part of a relegation struggle at the end of this season!

cwindsor

I would like to think that we have ambitions greater than just not getting relegated.
I have no idea what Khan's plans are with regard to player acquisition going forward, but I would hope that they will be to contest the top of the league, rather than just happy to be here.
Regardless, we need to recognise that our problem is defence. We currently sit seventh in the table; are sixth in goals scored; and fourth in goals conceded.
Our weakest link is right back. Every team we play, targets us there.
Whether we make this a priority in the January window will go a long way to indicate whether we are serious or not.

toshes mate

Did I get carried away when Shahid signed up Marco Silva? 

Certainly my spirits lifted but that was because of two things - 1. Parker was dreadful in almost every aspect of his actions at FFC and 2. Silva was an infrequent exception to the Khan rules when firing managers (Parker had to quit in order to sign up for B&B) since he was a very good pick as an improvement.  The Championship run exceeded my expectations in terms of attacking football which I thought would be good but not exceptionally so.  I also believed FFC would be a different PL side with Silva's team's presence and targetted transfers in midfield and depth generally.  The coaching team this time around are very professional in most everything they do - Jokanovic did something similar but was in a distracting fight with T&C which poisoned a lot of the good stuff. 

Thus far nobody this time around is poisoning the good stuff and Marco's game by game plan is very thorough and based on solid ground and not Parker's fantasy football which needed players to be something they were not.   I don't see complacency anywhere - only the fruits of hard work from players who are getting to like enjoying what they have to do.   There'll be ups and downs but that is the fun of a roller coaster football season but I expect mid-table security or better by season's end, all things being equal.

Cobh Fulham Fan

DadCreature

This season has been awesome so far!!  Look back a few months to the general view of this forum- "As long as we survive, I will be happy."   The early success is taking away some of the stress and making this season even more fun.  Let's enjoy it.  Let's remember that we are highly unlikely to challenge for a spot in Europe.  Let's hope we avoid a deep drop in form that pulls us down close to danger.  Let's enjoy all the rest.

ffcthereligion

Where did my OP say 'Lets be negative and not enjoy the success and also stop playing good football'. Its a simple message of lets not get complacent, look at the recent results for what they are despite heady predictions, and not forget we're in a fight in a really tight season. Nothing incendiary!

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 31, 2022, 12:43:31 PM
Where did my OP say 'Lets be negative and not enjoy the success and also stop playing good football'. Its a simple message of lets not get complacent, look at the recent results for what they are despite heady predictions, and not forget we're in a fight in a really tight season. Nothing incendiary!
I can't get complacent, I am not the Manager, one of his backroom team or in the squad....whatever I feel has no material effect.

I am very happy with the way we are playing, it is SO refreshing under Marco, never (even next Saturday) do I think we are goint to take a hiding or we are going to sit back with no other plan.

I am very happy to get carried away.....all the way to Europe.

Woolly Mammoth

As i keep repeating myself it is one game at a time always.
Yes we are playing attractive football almost without fear, and we do not really get enough credit from the media, Sky or BBC, they are far too busy worshipping the same old faces, endulging them every week with the pundits and commentators that all used to play for them, jobs for the boys.
It is all about winning so if we go to United or City and get a result with ugly football i shall be delighted and doing hand stands and cartwheels around the ground.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

perry geyton

World Cups what worries me, total BS doing it in the middle of the season, injuries etc. especially hard for smaller teams like us, then after having a month off having to find form again

Fingers crossed

filham

I am so happy with Fulham having reached the giddy heights of 7th in the Premier league , just one more step and we are in the top six, that really would be tremendous.
However, we now have a really tough two matches where we will do well to pick up a point. Every match is a close battle and we have to be ready for a poor run of results caused by bad luck, poor decisions or missing players.

Our target, at the moment, remains those 40 points for safety and a point from the next two games would mean that we are halfway there, that would be just great.

Cobh Fulham Fan

I agree with those expressing concern about a possible world cup fallout, as this is a first and we have no idea if we will be the same team after it.   Especially as some of the players going to it are ones who are only recently back after being injured already, and can anyone genuinely with hand on heart say that Mitro has fully recovered from his most recent injury?

Ok, we can argue that most teams are in the same boat, but will they be as vulnerable as us?  Maybe the only plus to this dilemma is that we'll have already played all the big teams once by then!

Palhinha Colada

Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 30, 2022, 05:34:26 PM
Do not get me wrong I'm as excited about Fulham atm as the rest of us are and the league table looks great, but I recall a thread discussing how many points we should be targeting from our recent run of games. I would suggest that 8 points vs Bournemouth, villa, Newcastle and Everton at home and Leeds and West Ham away would be close to the minimum target for survival. I still believe we need to be thinking like a team in a relegation fight as it's just so tight at the bottom this year. Let's stay grounded and remember our recent history

Forest away was conveniently cropped off this stretch. We all looked at this particular 7-match stretch as where we needed to earn points, and we got 11, including away wins at Forest and Leeds. I think we'd all have taken that.

As others have noted, we're halfway to presumed safety after 13 matches. No one is being arrogant about it, but if we stay mostly healthy, we'll find at least 19 from the last 25 matches. That's 5-4-16 or 4-7-14.

WindyCity

Totally agree with the "take one game at a time" sentiment expressed in this discussion.  I don't think anyone is necessarily getting 'carried away' with FFC start to the season.  I think fans are happy with the team so far, and continue to be cautiously optimistic.  One thing I would say is that we may need more points than some think we need for safety.  The lower table teams are gaining points in recent weeks, and there isn't such a great spread between drop zone and mid table.  Could use some more backup/reinforcements in the Jan window.  FFC is a bit thin for backups in key positions.

wback

I can't think of any points we were lucky to get, yet I can think of quite a few we're unlucky not to have.

So, for me, if 'luck' evens itself out, we're underperforming.

Steer relatively clear of injuries from here, and we'll have had an amazing season.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Palhinha Colada on November 01, 2022, 01:36:27 PM
Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 30, 2022, 05:34:26 PM
Do not get me wrong I'm as excited about Fulham atm as the rest of us are and the league table looks great, but I recall a thread discussing how many points we should be targeting from our recent run of games. I would suggest that 8 points vs Bournemouth, villa, Newcastle and Everton at home and Leeds and West Ham away would be close to the minimum target for survival. I still believe we need to be thinking like a team in a relegation fight as it's just so tight at the bottom this year. Let's stay grounded and remember our recent history

Forest away was conveniently cropped off this stretch. We all looked at this particular 7-match stretch as where we needed to earn points, and we got 11, including away wins at Forest and Leeds. I think we'd all have taken that.

As others have noted, we're halfway to presumed safety after 13 matches. No one is being arrogant about it, but if we stay mostly healthy, we'll find at least 19 from the last 25 matches. That's 5-4-16 or 4-7-14.

I can assure you i did not remove Forest from this list for 'convenience' or to make my argument stronger. I like you want us to do well and am not trying to be negative - i have responded multiple times to the thread explaining my point further. Im referring to the below thread, have a read