watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Let’s not get carried away

Started by ffcthereligion, October 30, 2022, 05:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffcthereligion

Do not get me wrong I'm as excited about Fulham atm as the rest of us are and the league table looks great, but I recall a thread discussing how many points we should be targeting from our recent run of games. I would suggest that 8 points vs Bournemouth, villa, Newcastle and Everton at home and Leeds and West Ham away would be close to the minimum target for survival. I still believe we need to be thinking like a team in a relegation fight as it's just so tight at the bottom this year. Let's stay grounded and remember our recent history

Nero

Parker thought like a manager that thought we would be in a relegation fight, and that got us relegation. You got to be positive 

Somerset Fulham

We are halfway to safety after only 13 games.  Of course that doesn't mean we are safe but it does mean that it will need to be one hell of a collapse for us to end up in trouble.

SG

Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 30, 2022, 05:34:26 PM
Do not get me wrong I'm as excited about Fulham atm as the rest of us are and the league table looks great, but I recall a thread discussing how many points we should be targeting from our recent run of games. I would suggest that 8 points vs Bournemouth, villa, Newcastle and Everton at home and Leeds and West Ham away would be close to the minimum target for survival. I still believe we need to be thinking like a team in a relegation fight as it's just so tight at the bottom this year. Let's stay grounded and remember our recent history

We're thinking like a team that believes it can win every match fearing nobody. So much better than previously.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Nero on October 30, 2022, 05:41:52 PM
Parker thought like a manager that thought we would be in a relegation fight, and that got us relegation. You got to be positive

Exactly, good post.

Slaphead in Qatar

I don't now look at games as we if should get 3 points here and we won't get anything there. In 38 games there will 10 or so where the result is a surprise win or lose. Especially this season where a lot of teams are only marginally better or worse than others.

hovewhite

Happy to take a game at a time the same as Marco does.

cookieg

You are right. We must remember our recent history and how awful Parker was as a manager of this club, alienating Mitro and playing not to lose rather than playing to win. We must remember the past and be grateful we have a manager who knows what he is doing and playing attacking exciting football which is at last getting the praise it deserves.

ffc73

After match-week 13 last season Spurs were 7th on 19-points and the bottom 4 teams had 6, 9, 9 and 12 respectively.  Watford were 16th with 13-points. 2 of the bottom 3 and Watford were relegated.

This season 8x teams still have to play game 13 but we are currently 7th with 19 points and the bottom 4 have 9, 10, 11 and 12 points respectively.

I keep telling myself; just keep playing the way we are and we will be fine. And enjoy it. 

ffcthereligion

Missed the point. Im talking about us a fanbase, not our attitude on pitch. However, we can't get too comfortable and believing the 7th place hype. We need to play with skin in the game. Simple point

Stoneleigh Loyalist

We still have Man City, United and Chelsea and surely Leicester can only improve. We must pick up some points from these games to give a clearer picture of where we really will be at the half way stage.
Injuries and suspensions will inevitably come and we can only hope that we will be luckier in that respect than we have been so far.

Colton F.C.

The media seems to have changed its mind about 'it's only Fulham'.

Headlines like the one below may lead to some having a sense of security or even (heaven forbid!) entitlement:
'FRANK LAMPARD'S SIDE HOLD ON TO SALVAGE A POINT IN TENSE GAME AGAINST THE COTTAGERS'

We know we are Fulham and that it is never easy supporting Fulham.  We need to scrap for every point to stay in this league.  Don't let our guard drop and of course take one match at a time. Big test next week.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2022-2023/fulham-v-everton-premier-league-live_sto9205269/story.shtml

Sting of the North

Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 30, 2022, 06:58:00 PM

Missed the point. Im talking about us a fanbase, not our attitude on pitch. However, we can't get too comfortable and believing the 7th place hype. We need to play with skin in the game. Simple point

But it is not the fan base that play the games. I don't see your point at all. If it is not about the attitude on the pitch, why do you follow up with saying that we need to play with skin in the game (as if Silva would allow anything less).

As fans, why shouldn't we enjoy the success? Because it might not last?

Could you maybe clarify, because to me at least your point does not really come across at all. Thanks.

Fulham1959

"play with skin in the game"

That's a new one on me !  Anyone care to explain ?

Colton F.C.

Quote from: Fulham1959 on October 30, 2022, 07:49:57 PM
"play with skin in the game"

That's a new one on me !  Anyone care to explain ?

Was there a 4 missing from the statement?

Facts Not Fiction

We need to replicate our current points total again to stay up. The difference is we have 25 games to do that in.

And if I'm honest, I can't see such a catastrophic drop in form happening.

This has been one of our best starts to a PL season ever.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 30, 2022, 07:44:56 PM
Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 30, 2022, 06:58:00 PM

But it is not the fan base that play the games. I don't see your point at all. If it is not about the attitude on the pitch, why do you follow up with saying that we need to play with skin in the game (as if Silva would allow anything less).

As fans, why shouldn't we enjoy the success? Because it might not last?

Could you maybe clarify, because to me at least your point does not really come across at all. Thanks.

Again, nobody saying let's not enjoy it. With regards to fans I'm raising a simple point that actually our recent results are in line with expectations if not worse considering who we played and predictions that were being made at the start of this month. Let's not get carried away with mid table predictions just yet, seen lots of comments to that effect

Player wise, the mindset should continue to be that we're in a relegation fight not that we are in mid table. I don't see why that means they will think they need to play as Parker told them to, it just means they can't get too comfortable and that 100% effort will be needed until game 38. You might say, 'silva will demand that anyway' but it's human nature to take foot off the gas if you feel too comfortable. We did so last year and had a few poor results end of year for example

Sting of the North

But what does "let's not get carried away" mean? I have hardly seen anyone express the view that the rest of the season will be easy, or that we are a sure thing for Europe. Still don't see the point, but maybe it's a "me problem". Also, in total so far our results are in my opinion some way above what would have been reasonably expected before the season. Again, maybe that's just me. 

StuinSalop

Every game, even next week there's points to be won.  That's the difference.  Parker's mind set was, there will be many games when we lose and we need to keep going and ignore the noise (people saying we are going down).

It's important WE don't get too many injuries, we saw what happened v a very good Newcastle without Palhinho.  Mitro is crucial.  Even losing Robinson hurt us.   

We have done great to recruit Willian which make the loss of Solomon almost a bonus as doubt we would have even gone for Willian if Solomon was fit.

I pose this question.....should we go big on another centre forward who can challenge Mitro and provide real cover if he losses form, gets injured or suspended, or just to replace after 70 minutes?    I am feeling for the first time the answer could be yes.  Mitro would have to accept a bit of rotation but that could do him good.  This is nothing to do with his blank on Saturday as I felt he still played really well.

Invest when things are going well.  Better players will want to join.   Fulham on 19 points or Forest on 9?   

Keep picking up points, every point now takes us closer to safety, we don't need to make up ground.  Try to win every game but accept a point is ok.

Somerset Fulham

I would look for DM cover before Mitro cover, we have that.

Although, if there is the option to make two signings then I would definitely look for another centre forward.