watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mitro got away with one?

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, October 30, 2022, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

I have to say I thought he was lucky not to get a red yesterday. He didn't mean it - but he got the Everton player with the studs above his ankle. On a different day could have been a red.

Sting of the North

I believe it would have been a very harsh red, no intent down on the ground tackle. Referee got it exactly right. Lampard's post game ramblings was just a futile attempt to deflect from the fact that he once again got outplayed by a proper manager. In my opinion.

SP

IMO, the VAR officials shouldn't be able to slow down the replays, let them see it in normal speed.

hovewhite

It wasn't deliberate ,that said his face said it all.

Lighthouse

One of those rare occasions I would say the same thing if it was our player who was fouled. There was a genuine attempt to get the ball. Mitro apologised immediately and there was no intent to foul.

Yes Had it been West Ham who had committed the foul. The player on the ground would have been sent off and banned and a goal given to West Ham. But we have to be sensible here. It was not a sending off and Mitro got away with nothing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Motspur Park

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 30, 2022, 06:34:27 PM
One of those rare occasions I would say the same thing if it was our player who was fouled. There was a genuine attempt to get the ball. Mitro apologised immediately and there was no intent to foul.

Yes Had it been West Ham who had committed the foul. The player on the ground would have been sent off and banned and a goal given to West Ham. But we have to be sensible here. It was not a sending off and Mitro got away with nothing.
0001.jpeg

Whitesideup

Quote from: Motspur Park on October 30, 2022, 07:34:41 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on October 30, 2022, 06:34:27 PM

0001.jpeg

Absolutely. Red cards are issued for violent intent or recklessness. This was neither.  It was never more than a yellow. It wasn't a stamp, but a genuine attempt for the ball. As agreed by the pundits. Not helped by a player doing a Neymar-esq roll, but absolutely fine one minute later. But everyone does that.

Motspur

I was at the game and I initially thought it was a harsh foul as the Everton player lost control of the ball and the ball ran free; Mitro tried to put his leg/foot as barrier to Everton player to shield the ball but in the split second the Everton player slid in for the ball and Mitro''s foot made contact with his ankle at the same time he slid in. Never a red card in my opinion. The game today with VAR and slow mo can make any hard tackle look vicious.

Andy S

I totally agree Motspur. The referee was two yards away and has a clear view of the incident in real time and made the correct decision

Surlyc

I think it's important to note that the Everton player had lost control of the ball and was also stretching out a boot to it. He got to the ball first and it's a definite yellow to Mitrovic, but I don't see how that is a red card.

Cobh Fulham Fan

We all know Mitro didnt mean it and was going for the ball, and yes, the Ref would have seen that too, but the point here is many in the past were red carded for the very same tackle and another Ref wouldn't have hesitated in producing the red.

So, in that respect Mitro was given a rub of the green, instead of the red. :005:

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on October 31, 2022, 10:45:29 AM
We all know Mitro didnt mean it and was going for the ball, and yes, the Ref would have seen that too, but the point here is many in the past were red carded for the very same tackle and another Ref wouldn't have hesitated in producing the red.

So, in that respect Mitro was given a rub of the green, instead of the red. :005:

In fact the decision was 100% correct. You are probably right that pre-VAR - some refs would have made a wrong decision and sent Mitro off. But, here is an exchange from Sky Sports with Dermot Gallagher regarding the Norgaard foul on Stansfield (which I actually think was slightly higher than Mitro's):

INCIDENT: Christian Norgaard given a yellow card for a tackle on Jay Stansfield - should it have been red?

VERDICT: Right decision.

DERMOT SAYS: Not a nice tackle, but yellow card. He is low, and it catches him on the ankle - and the directives which they work to is above the ankle. I think he is just on the cusp.

By comparison - the Chalobah red card foul against Newcastle was much worse than both, as he was sliding in and his foot was higher. That was a clear red - no complaints!