Main Menu

Out of curiosity

Started by perry geyton, November 08, 2022, 03:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Quote from: Twig on November 08, 2022, 10:00:06 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on November 08, 2022, 07:55:50 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on November 08, 2022, 03:18:37 PM
Wondering who on here is buying into this World Cup ?

Personally I find it to be revolting

are you damaged in the mind?

Guys in case anyone hadn't realised, this is a rather witty parody of the Qatari football ambassador's explanation of homosexuality. TC's Sporran was not being rude or offensive to anyone on here.

Yes and just to put into context. This from the BBC

A Qatar World Cup ambassador calling homosexuality "damage in the mind" is "harmful and unacceptable", says Human Rights Watch.

Former Qatar international Khalid Salman told German broadcaster ZDF that LGBTQ+ people attending the tournament should "accept our rules".

Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar because it is considered immoral under Islamic Sharia law.

Salman said: "[Homosexuality] is haram. You know what haram [forbidden] means?"

When asked why it was haram, he added: "I am not a strict Muslim but why is it haram? Because it is damage in the mind."

The interview, which is part of a documentary set to be broadcast on Tuesday, was then stopped by an accompanying official.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

perry geyton

Quote from: Twig on November 08, 2022, 10:00:06 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on November 08, 2022, 07:55:50 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on November 08, 2022, 03:18:37 PM
Wondering who on here is buying into this World Cup ?

Personally I find it to be revolting

are you damaged in the mind?

Guys in case anyone hadn't realised, this is a rather witty parody of the Qatari football ambassador's explanation of homosexuality. TC's Sporran was not being rude or offensive to anyone on here.

My bad then I didn't know he'd said that cheers Twig
Good comment TC's Sporran !!!

Somerset Fulham

I think it was Klopp who has said that the players aren't really to blame here, they are there to play a tournament and to leave again. Although he is a bit pureile in his approach, he does have a point in that it is there to play and who wouldn't want to play in it?

The noise should have been made by fans, by the media and even by other Football Associations (the FA were beyond excellent shouting about this at the time) fourteen years ago or whenever it was first decided.  There isn't much point blaming the players for not pulling two weeks before it starts.

leafe hill white

I for one will not be watching the world cup, I`ll be traveling from Sussex to watch AFC Whyteleafe`s home games at Church Road or Worthing Utd and Lancing if the `Leafe are playing to far away for an OAP like me to travel, time to support your local Non League team.

kiwian

News flash-Blatter on news tonight giving the tournament to Qatar "was a mistake." No doubt after he has banked all his dosh.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

perry geyton

Quote from: leafe hill white on November 09, 2022, 05:43:06 AM
I for one will not be watching the world cup, I`ll be traveling from Sussex to watch AFC Whyteleafe`s home games at Church Road or Worthing Utd and Lancing if the `Leafe are playing to far away for an OAP like me to travel, time to support your local Non League team.
That's brilliant
Good on you !!!

perry geyton

Quote from: kiwian on November 09, 2022, 06:22:56 AM
News flash-Blatter on news tonight giving the tournament to Qatar "was a mistake." No doubt after he has banked all his dosh.
Him being born was a mistake

toshes mate

I usually looked forward to world cups but this one is much more tainted than previously and it isn't just about Qatar.  International football was a must watch in my household for decades but now it lacks any sort of charm.

The wheelchair rugby league world championships in Sheffield at the moment  - now there is a sport which is easy to follow, full of thrills, spills, honest endeavour, and sporting conduct in bucketloads.   

Somerset Fulham

I went to school on Church Road and played for the 'Leafe as a kid.  Such a shame what happened to them.

HamsterWheel

As someone brought up in Cardiff, I'll be supporting Wales as it's likely to be the only World Cup Wales will play in my lifetime.

Not sure why footy has to take the lead on the issues - we just had the Commonwealth Games in the UK, the majority of the countries who competed have homosexuality as illegal.

Blatter is right though - Qatar is simply too small for a WC.

Sammyffc

ill watch it and have no problem with it being in Qatar, as every country has its problems and every country is hypocritical, the world is NOT the west.

In regards to the LGBTQ issue, i totally understand the outrage and i second HamsterWheels points made.

I do wish that we had more football players in the UK coming out as LGBTQ, hopefully in the coming years it happens however with how many supporters act during games unfortunately i can't see it happening anytime soon.

Nobody cares that they can't display public affection etc in Dubai and the UAE, but we still flock there in our thousands. Especially sports stars.

[/quote]
[/quote]

filham

I have thought for a while that all the big money interests were spoiling football and that the time would come when the bubble would burst.
This World Cup scandal is not going to bring in any new fans and a good few may be lost. It could just put football on a downward path.

bunter

I love international football, I love seeing players representing countries we wouldn't usually see, the atmosphere fans from different continents make etc. I love it and have been to a number of World Cups and Euro tournaments and i hope to go to more in future. Despite being a nearly 40 year old, overweight balding man the World Cup still brings out excitement in me like nothing else and usually I'd have memorised all the fixtures, stadiums, who will play who if they get out of thier group well before the thing starts.
Always said I'd boycott this one but I'm not sure I really believed I would once it came around. However, now with it being just weeks away I still have no desire to have any involvement in it whatsoever. Couldn't even tell you when the England games are on, barely even know who they are playing.
Can't wait until its over and I hope history will reflect it for the appalling event it truly is.

Grumpy Old Fart

I too am disgusted at the WC being held in Qatar; but on reflection, I'm a hypocrite (and probably not alone). Why didn't I feel the same about the WC being held in Russia in 2018? They'd already invaded Ukraine by annexing Crime a few months earlier!  :023:

Grumpy Old Fart

bunter

Quote from: Grumpy Old Fart on November 09, 2022, 01:44:38 PM
I too am disgusted at the WC being held in Qatar; but on reflection, I'm a hypocrite (and probably not alone). Why didn't I feel the same about the WC being held in Russia in 2018? They'd already invaded Ukraine by annexing Crime a few months earlier!  :023:

Me too, asking myself the same question. I won't get involved in this one but now wish I'd done the same for the last one too.

perry geyton

Quote from: Grumpy Old Fart on November 09, 2022, 01:44:38 PM
I had no issues with it being in Russia , actually I thought they did amazing job of it plus they are a footballing nation, all counties have political issues but Qatar is a completely different kettle of fish, it feels like some kind of post pandemic NWO nightmare...
A sign of the times

perry geyton

Quote from: filham on November 09, 2022, 10:21:08 AM
I have thought for a while that all the big money interests were spoiling football and that the time would come when the bubble would burst.
This World Cup scandal is not going to bring in any new fans and a good few may be lost. It could just put football on a downward path.

Yep premier league included VAR etc etc
Say what you like about the championship but at least it felt genuine

The problem is Football is bigger then ever now because everyone is so fugging bored

Lester Burnham

Obviously in the minority but I will be watching and supporting the 3 Lions with gusto. Club and country....always!

leafe hill white

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 09, 2022, 08:57:22 AM

I went to school on Church Road and played for the 'Leafe as a kid.  Such a shame what happened to them.
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 09, 2022, 08:57:22 AM

The newly formed AFC Whyteleafe are doing quite well at the moment in the SCEFL, on Saturday we are away to Nortrh Greenford United in the FA Vase, health permitting I`ll try to make the journey to London from the South Coast. Yes and as a kid I used to train with the under 15`s back in the early 70`s, Happy days.