more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 17/11/22...

Started by WhiteJC, November 17, 2022, 12:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Women head to Craven Cottage for the biggest match in a decade

It's the biggest match in a decade for Fulham Women as they take on AFC Wimbledon in the Capital Cup on Sunday (20 November) at Craven Cottage.

Since their relaunch in 2014, the women haven't graced the big stage, but a large crowd is expected to cheer them on in this London derby, with very affordable tickets still on sale.

Head coach Steve Jaye, now in his fourth season with Fulham FC Women, said: "Everybody's excited to be playing at Craven Cottage on an excellent pitch against great opposition. The opportunity to play in a big stadium is always something players and staff aspire to."

Kids for £1
With tickets for youngsters at just £1, it's also a chance to ride the wave of enthusiasm for the women's game which ignited during the 2019 World Cup in France. It reached a crescendo as England won the Euros at Wembley this summer.

More than 2,000 tickets had already been sold by last weekend, with the Johnny Haynes stand predicted to be rocking on Sunday.

Fulham hope this showcase fixture could prove a springboard for further selected games being staged at the club's famous riverside stadium.

Until now, all the women's home matches have been played at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground, close to the A3 in south west London.

While Jaye says the pitches there are very good, and his players benefit from full access to all the grounds facilities, playing a match at the Cottage will be extra special. "There's just an exciting feeling that we'll be at a stadium that can hold so many people," he said.

Highs and lows
Fulham FC Women have had their ups and downs since being set up in 1993. The highs include being the first women's team in Europe to turn fully professional in 2000, with big-name stars such as Rachel Yankey and Katie Chapman, who captained England U18s and went on to captain Chelsea Women.

But there have also been lows. The team have been disbanded and revived several times, though since 2014 the foundations have been strong. Last season they finished third in the London and South East Women's Regional Football League, and currently sit third in the table.

The players are also determined to put a poor result last Sunday behind them when they were knocked out of the Women's FA Cup by Watford.

Their recent record in the Capital Cup has been more positive. Last season they made it to the third round, before narrowly losing on penalties.

Craven Cottage is no stranger to major women's games. In October 2018, the ground hosted England Women v Austria in the build-up to the World Cup, attracting a raucous, enthusiastic crowd.

The next level
Steve Jaye, who studied sports coaching at uni, goes into Sunday's match knowing the opponents well, having managed AFC Wimbledon's junior sides for three years.

But his focus now is on getting Fulham to the next level with a mission to grow the women's game in Hammersmith & Fulham, ensuring the pyramid is broad and sturdy at community level to boost the size and quality of the player pool.

"If that allows us to then progress as a team to compete at the highest level in club football, then that would be excellent, of course," he said.

"We're all competitive and we all want to play at the highest possible level, but we want to do that in the right way and make sure we grow the programme around the local community and involve as many people as we can so we're sustainable and supported.

"We've done a lot of work over the last 12 to 15 months in terms of promoting the women's team, what they're about, and the individuals that play for the team. This is another part of the journey."

The bounce that women's football experienced following England's summer Wembley success in the Euros has been immense.

Spectators double
Spectator numbers for Fulham FCW have doubled this season, and there's now an enthusiastic supporters' club, Fulham Lillies.

"We've seen an exponential growth in people wanting to get involved and support us, which gives the whole pyramid a boost," said Steve Jaye, who reckons the 2019 Women's World Cup in France was the start of the new era.

Fulham Women share the men's training facilities at Motspur Park, the club organises travel to matches, and the women players are fully insured for all medical needs... something not all clubs at Fulham's level offer.

A distraction that Jaye regrets this coming weekend is a scheduling clash with Chelsea Women which means that as Fulham Women play at the Cottage, Chelsea are hosting a rival London derby – against Spurs – a mile up Fulham Road at Stamford Bridge.

"The challenge that we have with women's football generally is that a lot of the kick-off times, all the way from youth to senior football, clash with each other," he said.

Fulham FC Women kick off at 2pm on Sunday, 20 November, against AFC Wimbledon Women in Round 1 of the Capital Cup. Tickets, £5 (juniors £1), can be booked here.

Becky can't wait for kick-off
Fulham vice-captain Becky Stormer has played football since she was six, representing the Whites from ages 12 to 15 before joining Millwall.

After university she rejoined Fulham, and is now in her fourth season back at the club.

"Normally I'm a centre midfielder, but this season, and last, I've played more as centre back which I'm really enjoying," she said.

Playing on the big stage at Craven Cottage is a dream come true for the 26-year-old, who is also a qualified chartered surveyor.

"It will be a fantastic experience... and nerve-racking," said the No8. "It's a beautiful stadium and pitch and as the most we've ever had at a game is about 450, to play in front of many more will be amazing. Walking out with all our friends and family there will be a unique feeling."

Fulham currently sit third in the London & South East Regional Women's Premier Division, the fifth tier of the English women's football pyramid, but over the coming seasons she believes promotion is a realistic aim.

"Definitely," she said. "We have such a great set-up at Fulham and some fantastic players. Our league is tricky; it's highly competitive, and only one team a season gets promoted, with no play-offs, which is something I hope is changed soon to allow greater fluidity between the leagues."

There is cause for optimism. Fulham have already achieved league wins this season against Sutton United, Enfield Town, AFC Acorns, New London Lionesses and Aylesford... an 8-0 victory on 16 October which saw both Helen Ogle and Ede Buchele scoring hat-tricks, and Georgia Heasman netting twice.

England's success
Becky agrees that England's success in this summer's Euros has been a major factor in stimulating interest in the women's game.

"The impact of the Euros has been unbelievable; after so long the women are getting the recognition they deserve," she said. "I followed the England team throughout, and went to the quarter-final, semi-final and final. The atmosphere at all of them was incredible, but for me it's the smaller things that show just how much we've come along.

"I was in a tiny pub in a small village in the Cotswolds during part of the tournament and heard a couple of older men raving about the women's game, how much more character it has than the men's, with no theatrics, and how they were so excited for us to bring it home. It made me quite emotional!"

Players she admires include England defenders Millie Bright and Leah Williamson.

"They were phenomenal at the Euros, and I loved watching them play together. They both offer something different, and complement each other. I'm also a huge fan of Keira Walsh, and love how she plays."

As one of the tallest members of Fulham's squad, Becky's height advantage is useful when defending set pieces. "We had the best defensive record in the league last season, which I'm very proud to be a part of. Hopefully that continues through the 2022/23 season."

Her message to fans? "Please come and support us on Sunday! Hopefully Fulham Women playing at the Cottage will become more regular.

"But this occasion, being the first, is such a huge moment for us and we'd love to get as many supporters there as possible."

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/articles/news/2022/11/fulham-women-head-craven-cottage-biggest-match-decade

WhiteJC

Fulham: 'Gulf in class' between Carlos Vinicius and Aleksandar Mitrovic

Pundit Adrian Clarke has admitted that he feels there is a huge difference in quality between Carlos Vinicius and Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The former footballer believes that had the Serbian talisman been playing on Sunday, the Cottagers could have walked away with at least a share of the spoils.

Mitrovic, missed the visit of Manchester United because of a persistent ankle injury, and his absence was always going to be felt.

The striker has scored nine Premier League goals, while his deputy Vinicius was called upon to make his second consecutive start at the weekend.

Marco Silva's side ultimately came up short on the day, and Clarke has argued that there is a "gulf in class" between the manager's striking options.

Speaking on the TalkSport GameDay podcast, he said: "I do feel for them. When they've not got Mitrovic, it is a big old downgrade, isn't it for Vinicius.

"I don't want to hammer him too much, but there's a huge gulf, I think, in quality between those two.

"If Mitrovic played in this game, I think Fulham might have got something out of it."

TIF Thoughts on Clarke's comments...
With only Harry Kane and Erling Haaland having more shots on target in the division than Mitrovic this season (22), it was always going to be big boots for his Brazilian understudy to fill.

The 27-year-old did carve out some chances, recording two attempts on goal while also having a further effort blocked.

It was, however, the roughing-up of the opposition that Mitrovic has proved so successful at Vinicius couldn't bring to the table.

He won just 3 of his 17 duels including 1 of 12 in the air according to Sofascore, and it is perhaps fair to conclude that United would have had an even more difficult evening had the Cottagers' No 9 been on the field.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2022/11/blogs/premier-league/ffc-mitrovic-vinicius-gulf-in-quality-silva-premier-league/

WhiteJC

"I've never thought I've made the wrong decision" – Dan James opens up on Fulham move

Speaking to Wales Online yesterday, Leeds United's Dan James has suggested he has no regrets about his deadline day loan move to fellow Premier League side Fulham this summer.

James was no stranger to last-minute transfer moves before this, however, as he joined the Whites for a £25m fee from Manchester United on the last day of 2021's summer window. Since signing for the Yorkshire club, James has amassed 40 appearances in all competitions, scoring four and assisting five.

As Leeds strengthened in positions where James frequently featured in the side during the summer, replacing Raphinha with Luis Sinisterra and drafting in Brendan Aaronson from RB Salzburg for example, he viewed his place in the squad as under threat. His desire for minutes was only increased with the prospect of the 2022 Qatar World Cup, and the opportunity to represent his country of Wales it presented, looming on the horizon.

It was this which provided the primary motivation for James to leave Leeds on loan to the Cottagers.

Despite not making the immediate impact he would have perhaps expected at Fulham having made only eight appearances for them so far, James' mission was accomplished as he was named in Rob Page's World Cup squad for Qatar. As he arrived in Qatar for the tournament, James spoke to the Welsh press regarding his decision to leave Leeds.

"I was there for a season [at Leeds] and really enjoyed it. I loved the place and my family loved it there. It was tough [to leave], it was deadline day and it was last minute. I was thinking about the World Cup," he said.

"Maybe I was going to get more game-time. That was on my mind. I've never thought I've made the wrong decision. I still believe I made the right one. I spoke to the gaffer at Fulham and felt that was the best move in that moment."

The right call
Whilst James had his supporters at Leeds, as well as his detractors, it is hard to argue that getting a loan to Fulham wasn't the right decision for him on a personal level. While true that losing the winger meant a reduction in squad depth for Marsch's side, James had to think about his immediate future in the world's greatest international contest as well as his own development as a player.

Make no mistake, with all of the squad fully fit, James would have struggled to get into Leeds' starting XI and consequently gain the game-time he was understandably seeking. James remaining in Yorkshire may also have limited the opportunity for impressive youngsters, such as in-form Crysencio Summerville or Wilfried Gnonto, to break into the first-team as they have.

Managing squad depth alongside personal player ambition at any club is always a fine balancing act, and in this instance it was the latter which superseded the former. As James takes to the pitch to represent his nation in Qatar, he will be left feeling that – undoubtedly – he made the right call.

https://www.theleedspress.com/ive-never-thought-ive-made-the-wrong-decision-dan-james-opens-up-on-fulham-move-34486/

WhiteJC

won't stop Who does Bryan Ruiz play for and what is his World Cup record? Former Fulham star ready to inspire Costa Rica again

Bryan Ruiz is Costa Rica's most famous footballer and he is ready to participate in his third World Cup.

Incredibly at the age of 37, the former Fulham star has been selected to compete in Qatar with his country.

And after helping Costa Rica to the quarter-finals of the 2014 World Cup, Ruiz will be out to provide his country with some more joy in what is sure to be his final World Cup appearance.

Bryan Ruiz: The story so far
The forward made his international debut for Los Ticos in 2005, with his younger brother Yendrick, three years his junior, making his bow in 2013.

The latter only managed six caps for Costa Rica but Bryan Ruiz is the country's all-time leading appearance maker with 144 caps, while he also sits third on the goalscorer list with 29 goals.

Ruiz has widely been considered one of the most talented players to come from Central America but hasn't quite lived up to the hype.

The attacking midfielder has played for the likes of Sporting Lisbon, Fulham, Gent, FC Twente and PSV Eindhoven.

But despite sparkling for Gent and Twente, that form never really translated to the Premier League or in Portugal.

Ruiz scored some special goals while at Craven Cottage, but he was part of the team that was relegated in the 2013/14 season and he struggled to make an impact in the Championship the season after.

The six-feet-two' star tried a spell in Brazil with Santos, but he is now back where it all started at LD Alajuelense in his native Costa Rica.

However, his contract is up in December, so Ruiz won't have a club when the World Cup ends.

But on the international stage and at the World Cup, things have been different for Ruiz.

In two World Cup campaigns, Ruiz has made eight appearances in which he has scored twice and provided an assist.

In Brazil at the 2014 World Cup, Ruiz started and captained his side in every game as they made it all the way to the quarter-finals.

Everyone expected Los Ticos to finish bottom of their group that contained England, Italy and Uruguay, but they defied all expectations.

Ruiz scored a bullet header in a 1-0 win over Italy that helped ensure they topped Group D and eliminate the 2006 world champions.

He scored again in the last 16 victory over Greece as his cleverly disguised finish sent the knockout tie to penalties.

The former Fulham man then notched from the spot in the shoot-out as Costa Rica made it to the quarter-finals, where they were beaten on penalties by the Netherlands.

Costa Rica didn't perform as well during the 2018 World Cup as they crashed out in the group stages after defeats to Brazil and Serbia in their opening two games.

They managed a 2-2 draw with Switzerland in the final match and Ruiz set up a goal.

He also played every minute and captained his side, so Ruiz has been a key player at the last two World Cups for Costa Rica, and is set to be one more time.

Wouldn't it be great if he had one last moment of magic in those boots before he retires...

https://talksport.com/football/1247007/bryan-ruiz-costa-rica-qatar-world-cup-2022-fulham-sporting/

WhiteJC

Christmas at the Cottage 2022

Christmas at the Cottage is back!

For the first time since 2019, Craven Cottage will once again host the Club's much-loved Christmas at the Cottage event.

Fulham fans of all ages are invited to join us for our family event on Friday 9th December from 5:30pm to enjoy an evening of festive fun, with activities, food and drink and the chance to meet Father Christmas in his Grotto.

And if that's not enough, six players from across the Men's and Women's First Team squads will also be on hand to meet with supporters!

To get fans into the Christmas spirit our festive brass band will be performing some Christmas classics, whilst complimentary mince pies and mulled wine* will be served in The Flag bar.

Beginning from the Stadium Store, gates will open at 5:30pm with festivities lasting until 8pm. Final entry will be at 7:30pm.

In line with previous years, Christmas at the Cottage is an all-ticket event.

Tickets will be priced at £2 per person with all funds from sales donated to Fulham FC Foundation, who celebrate their 20th Anniversary this season. Supporters must bring their tickets with them in order to gain entry to the event.

Supporters will be able to redeem up to two tickets per person for this event (of which one must be a junior) on a first come, first served basis, initially available to 2022/23 Season Ticket Holders from 10am on Friday 18th November. A limited number of tickets will then go on sale to 2022/23 Members from 10am on Monday 21st November.

Fans will be able to secure tickets online at tickets.fulhamfc.com or by calling the Ticket Office on 0203 871 0810 (option 2).

BUY ONLINE FROM FRIDAY

*Subject to availability, available on a first-come-first-served basis.

Players in attendance to be confirmed prior to the event.

Supporters must attend with a junior to be able to attend the event.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/november/16/christmas-at-the-cottage-2022/

WhiteJC

I Still Believe – Star Comments On Picking Fulham Over Tottenham Hotspur

Leeds United loan star Daniel James has insisted that he made the right decision by joining Fulham over Tottenham Hotspur on summer transfer deadline day and revealed he spoke to Marco Silva before making his decision.

This summer, Leeds were open to letting James leave on loan, and the winger drew significant interest from several Premier League clubs.

Tottenham were one of the frontrunners for the player's signature, but on deadline day, James chose newly promoted Fulham as his next destination.

James revealed that he spoke with Fulham manager Silva before agreeing to join the club and admitted that he felt joining the Cottagers was the right move for him.

The Welsh winger insisted that he has never thought that turning down a transfer to the Tottenham Hotspur stadium in favour of Craven Cottage was the wrong decision for his career.

When asked about his decision to join Fulham over Tottenham this summer, James was quoted as saying by The Sun: "I've never thought that I've made the wrong decision.

"I still believe I made the right one.

"I spoke to the gaffer at Fulham and felt that was the best move for me in that moment of my career."

James is currently with the Wales squad in Qatar, preparing for their first game in the 2022 World Cup against the United States on Monday.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/11/16/i-still-believe-star-comments-on-picking-fulham-over-tottenham-hotspur/585347/

WhiteJC

Fulham FC Women at Craven Cottage: 4 days to go!

4 days to go until Fulham FC Women take on AFC Wimbledon at Craven Cottage!

Dont miss out on securing seats for you and your family ahead of what promises to be an action packed day in SW6.

Fulham FC Women take on AFC Wimbledon on Sunday 20th November in Cup competition with tickets priced at just £5 for adults and £1 for juniors. All seats will be allocated in the Johnny Haynes Stand. AFC Wimbledon supporters are advised to purchase seats in J & JL.

The day will be host to plenty of activities to keep families entertained, including face painters, balloon modellers, and appearances from our Oompah Band and Billy the Badger, with gates opening at 1pm.

Supporters can purchase online, by phone on 0203 871 0810 (opt. 1) or in person from the Fulham FC Ticket Office (Mon – Fri, 9am-5pm).

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/november/16/ffcw-4-days-to-go/

WhiteJC

Gosport owner and ex-Portsmouth chairman sends transfer message to in-demand starlet's admirers Bournemouth, Nottingham Forest, Fulham and Crystal Palace

Iain McInnes is adamant Gosport Borough will not stand in the way of Finn Walsh-Smith's Premier League dream.

The 18-year-old central defender is presently trialling at Bournemouth, while has also been watched by Crystal Palace, Fulham, Nottingham Forest and Chesterfield.

Walsh-Smith has totalled 16 appearances for the Southern League Premier Division South side this season, catching the eye in the process.

As previously revealed by The News, he and fellow Gosport Academy graduate Dylan Holgate will find out this week whether the Cherries will pursue their interest.

Gosport owner McInnes believes Borough's Centre of Excellence deserves immense credit for the duo's impressive progress.

And the former Pompey chairman insists the player's future – rather than profit – will take priority should Walsh-Smith and Holgate's admirers make their move.

He told The News: 'Finn has been here since the age of eight. He's a really nice kid and a very good player.

'We wouldn't stand in the way of any of our young players, of course not.

'Hopefully I'm around to see it, but if Finn turns out for Bournemouth in five years that's worth more than money, isn't it?

'Not trying to be too charitable about it, but the reality of life is if kids come here from Pompey or wherever, do well for us and have the chance of going to the next level, you want to help them.

'You can argue over a transfer fee of £5,000 or £10,000, but I would rather say to Bournemouth "Tell you what, play us in a friendly and loan us a few players". Right now, we're down to the bare bones.

'Bournemouth are a good club, Finn has been there on and off for 2-3 weeks and now gone back for another game, after which they'll decide whether to keep him.'

While Walsh-Smith, in particular, has attracted plenty of admirers, McInnes is surprised Pompey have still to declare an interest.

He added: 'He played against Pompey in pre-season, I'm surprised they didn't notice him, but everybody has an opinion.

'Finn's a Glenn Roeder, tall, composed, good with the ball, although not necessarily a great headerer of the ball yet, but that will come with age.

'A number of club scouts have been here, they will have been alerted that this kid can play.'

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/gosport-owner-and-ex-portsmouth-chairman-sends-transfer-message-to-in-demand-starlets-admirers-bournemouth-nottingham-forest-fulham-and-crystal-palace-3920860

WhiteJC

Notes from November meeting with FFC

On Wednesday 9 November at 13.30, the Fulham Supporters' Trust met with Fulham FC via video conference.

The Club was represented by:

Alistair Mackintosh (Chief Executive Officer, AM)
    Darren Preston (Chief Operating Officer, DP)
    David Daly (Non-Executive Director, DD)
    Carmelo Mifsud (Communications Director, CM)
    Nicola Walworth (Supporter Relations Manager, NW)
    Glen Sutton (Chief Profit Officer, GS)
    Aimee McKenzie (Operations & Venue Director, AMK)
    Katy Brecht (Head of Ticketing, KB)
    Samuel Curteis (Supporter Relations Executive, SCu)
    Jon Don Carolis (Commercial Director, JDC)

The FST was represented by:

Tom Greatrex (Chair, TG)
    Owen Smith (Board Member, OS)
    Tamara Dragadze (Board Member, TD)
    Sarah Keig (Board Member, SK)

HOW IT WORKS

At our regular monthly meetings, Trust board members ask questions relating to as many topics as possible in the time available, based on responses from members to the advance notification of the meeting and our own observations from interacting with the wider supporter base.

Often members ask similar questions and in these cases, we use our judgement to summarise, provide the Club with feedback and gain as much useful information as possible in the time available. We also prioritise new and time-critical topics, whilst also seeking updates on longer running issues.

You can access notes of all previous meetings on our web site, including the most recent information on key topics such as safe standing, ground operations, Riverside ticketing, and ticket pricing.

If any member has raised a new issue that it was not possible to discuss in the time available, then please do contact us again in good time before the next meeting or alternatively we can seek to raise it between meetings if that is more appropriate.

TOPICS DISCUSSED

Hammersmith End concourse
    Riverside turnstile congestion
    Catering and facilities
    World Cup plans / Women's game at Craven Cottage
    Fixture changes
    Ticketing
    Commercial partnerships
    AOB

HAMMERSMITH END CONCOURSE

OS began by referencing that congestion on the Hammersmith End concourse has been discussed a number of times recently, and that despite this and some measures being trialled, it is still an issue the Trust is receiving more comments/complaints about, including that people don't feel safe using the toilets or bars, are worried about bringing their children and afraid of falling over, particularly at half time.

OS informed the Club that the current Fan Survey includes questions on congestion and facilities, and that will be shared with the Club. The Trust asked for the Club's views and feedback they have received.

DP responded by saying that the Club wants to ensure everybody feels safe and has a good experience. The Hammersmith End is the second least populated stand and has the second best provided space at the ground. It is no different in its density or use (now that we've reversed the trialled one way system) as it was 4 years ago, prior to the demolition of the previous Riverside Stand.

DP asked what we think has changed in terms of infrastructure or constraint. As the numbers are the same as they were back in the day.

OS suggested that 3 things have changed: –

The Riverside access has replaced some Gents Toilets, which causes congestion as people are having to walk further down the concourse to access them. For men, there are 4 cubicles behind H6-H7, with the nearest urinals being behind H4 and H5, which adds to the traffic as people have to find a route through either the stair at the Riverside, or the middle stairs.

There used to be portacabin bars on the side of the river, which helped pull people away from the concourse area, compared to now where the majority of the bars are directly behind access to the stand.

It does feel like a new world after Covid and people's expectations towards safety in crowds have changed. People are more nervous and there is certainly a trend of more people contacting us.

DP replied that the changes made around the new turnstile area are minimal as they took out a groundsman's store, and while the configuration of toilets has changed, the same facilities are there as previously. OS countered that there is definitely less toilet access from the reconfiguration and spectators can't access the part of the stand (covered) under the Riverside stand that existed previously.

DP informed the Trust that a  Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) inspector, local authority inspector, and an independent auditor were present in the Hammersmith End at the Everton game, and had assessed the concourse area as compliant with Green Guide regulations.

OS commented that whilst the Trust did not doubt the Club were in compliance with all codes and regulations, the fact that people are feeling unsafe still remains and that user experience is being adversely impacted.

The Club commented further that they have changed signage, trailled a one-way system, which has now been removed as it caused more issues than it solved, and were considering other ways to resolve the concerns, which were taken seriously.

The Trust hoped to be able to look at the situation in real time at half time, which is when most complaints refer to, with the Club Safety Officer/deputy at a forthcoming fixture.

RIVERSIDE TURNSTILE CONGESTION

OS asked about the new Riverside stand and issues with congestion pre- and post-game.

DP advised that he stood at the ticket check for the past few games, and he felt it worked well along the Riverside walk but these things can always be improved. There currently has to be a double check, at the turnstile and then at the stand entrance, to ensure people don't wander in and sit anywhere. Not doing so would cause additional disruption, with stewards having to remove people from seats. He added this should be less of an issue when the Bishop's Park entrance opens, as that will be specifically for the Riverside. They will be utilising the exit into Bishops Park from the Manchester United game on Sunday, which should ease post-match congestion leaving the ground. 

TG asked if it would be used as an entrance point any time soon, DP said it was unlikely due to the continued need for the builders compound, until the stand fit out is complete. 

TG asked about access to the Riverside terrace after matches for those from other parts of the ground, DP responded that this was being considered – there are issues relating to numbers of people leaving and arriving in that area at the same time – but for now spectators from other parts of the ground should not expect to be able to use the Riverside terrace and outside bar facilities after matches.

CATERING AND FACILITIES

TD explained that catering services within the ground remain very slow,with cashiers appearing to be trained on matchdays, lengthening delays further. GS said service speed is a constant challenge as they are unable to retain the same repeat team members, due to a very competitive market for casual hospitality staff. There are specific KPI's that the catering companies are asked to achieve and one of those is that the minimum queue times should be between 6-8 minutes.

TD also asked about the beer machines, how effective are they and how are they monitored to make sure under 18's can't purchase alcohol from them.

GS explained that the machines are not owned by the Club, but leased from the supplier and there is a limited supply available. Feedback from users has been good, they are very effective in that there is zero waste and they offer the perfect pour every time. Challenge 25 [ID checks for anyone who looks under 25] is done at every machine, by the staff member giving out the plastic cups to purchase the beer.

AMK said there isn't currently a soft drink version of the beer machine available, but the Club have introduced additional soft drinks to the grab and go areas.

Supporters will also see the re-introduction of hawking back into the stands so people can purchase directly in their seats, although card payment technology can be an issue.

TD asked about water fountains, now becoming available again at other stadiums, so spectators can refill water bottles etc. GS said this has been raised recently and is under consideration, although there are factors including use of space, how well they are used and health issues which arose during Covid to be assessed.

TD brought up the subject of half-time interviews and how we are still receiving complaints from members who cannot hear. An example was given of the recent interview with David Hamilton, who is an experienced broadcaster and would know how to use the microphone properly.

DD asked when Ivan talks can we hear him. TD advised that we could hear Ivan clearly whatever part of the ground he speaks from, but we cannot hear the interviewees. AMK advised that they carried out some testing in the Johnny Haynes stand, they have upgraded the microphone, spoken to Ivan about asking the interviewee to be clear when they speak. Various consultants have looked into this, and it isn't the sound system. DP asked that we provide seat numbers where we have received complaints and they will continue to look into it.

WORLD CUP PLANS / WOMEN'S GAME AT CRAVEN COTTAGE

SK acknowledged the announcement made that the men's team would be playing a friendly against West Ham on the 17th December at Craven Cottage. She asked if there would be any other matches played during the World Cup. AM responded that in terms of friendlies open to the fans at the moment the West Ham game will be the only one. There will be a mini pre-season so there will be other matches, but these are likely to all be behind closed doors.

SK expressed how excited both the Trust and the Fulham Lillies are about the upcoming Women's game being played at the Cottage on the 20th November. Whilst the Lillies are happy to support and promote the women's game and this special match at the Cottage she asked what is being done to advertise and encourage people to attend the Women's games in general.

CM responded that the comms and marketing teams are working hard to promote the women's game, especially the showcase match at the Cottage. They are going to up the social media coverage and they are using the showcase match to generate external media. Yesterday Sky Sports attended the training session with the reporter Jess Creighton and they are going to do a piece on that, using the opportunity of the showcase game to promote the women's game a lot more than they would normally due to the increased capacity.

They will be using their website channels and recently Tim Ream did a piece for the website with Annie Thomas, showing her around the facilities at the Cottage; this will be released next week. Looking to engage with the wider community, a flyer is going out next week, it is on the council website, a local historian Morgan Phillips has advertised it and they will be promoting it at the Manchester United game.

TG asked about the capacity for the womens game on the 20th November and AMK replied that currently only the Johnny Haynes Stand is open but if there was the demand they would look at opening other stands.

FIXTURE CHANGES

SK asked about if we had a possible date for the rearranged Chelsea game. As well as the possibility of the Leicester game being rearranged due to the King's Coronation. 

DP advised that there was no news on when we will be playing Chelsea as there is difficulty finding a window when Chelsea can play us due to Champions League and possible FA Cup runs.

With regards the match against Leicester, the Premier League have not made a decision on whether games will be played on the 6th May. SK also asked about the January fixtures and when they would be confirmed. CM advised that we should know within the next 7-10 days, the delays resulting from the process the Premier League, police and broadcasters have to go through to confirm fixture changes.

TICKETING

TG asked about the Riverside upper and the additional 700 tickets being released for the Manchester United game. KB confirmed that this means the total capacity being used for the upper tier will be 2116 for this fixture, with 2500 in the lower tier. Asked if this will continue to increase in future fixtures, DP advised that the maximum use of the stand whilst fit out is continuing will be 4900. This is due to space requirements for builders facilities on site.   

TG mentioned the ongoing FST survey (now closed) and the intention to feed back detailed data on views on ticketing and ticket pricing at the next meeting, ahead of decisions being made for next season.

KB confirmed that Ian Clarke and Simon Duke from the FST board will also hold a more in-depth meeting both on arrangements for migration of previous Riverside season ticket holders to the new stand next season, and other ticketing issues, later in the month.

COMMERCIAL PARTNERSHIPS

TG asked for confirmation that Fulham's partnership with Titan Capital Markets has been terminated. JDC confirmed that was the case, and the Club is disappointed in how the partnership transpired. Titan passed the Club's external processes in terms of due diligence and then information was brought to the Club's attention which they investigated. They asked the brand to supply information, which they were unable to do, resulting in the relationship being terminated.

TG asked a follow up question around the due diligence process that Fulham currently uses and whether that will now be reviewed in light of the Titan experience. JDC stated Fulham are intent on making sure something like this doesn't happen again.

AOB

TG referred to complaints that FST had received around FulhamTV and not getting a response from the provider when problems arose. CM said he would be keen to receive any complaints, as the Club will shortly be discussing the service with the provider.

TG noted that there had been a noticeable improvement in stewarding, and asked about the Club's direct recruitment of stewards. DP confirmed that at supervisory levels, an increasing number of stewards were recruited to the Club, meaning more continuity and familiarity with roles at the ground and for supporters. There had been changes to some of the stewarding companies used which had contributed to improvements, but there was still more to do in this regard.

TG queried the process of direct recruitment and training of stewards. DP explained that stewards in the supervisory and other roles that the Club recruit directly must have an NVQ qualification – and this is not something which the Club is able to fund directly. This impacts on the numbers of people who can undertake these roles.

SK mentioned she had verbally been advised by FST members on Saturday at Manchester City that the away coach travel stewards did not arrive at Motspur Park until 7am, which is when the coach was due to depart. Most supporters had arrived before 7am and so were on the coach already, meaning no bag checks were undertaken. KB advised she will feed that back to the coach steward, as they are expected  to arrive prior to supporters boarding coaches.

Meeting closed at 14.40

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2022/11/notes-from-november-meeting-with-ffc-3/

WhiteJC