watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Home 3rd Round Draws

Started by Ludlow Richard, November 28, 2022, 10:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludlow Richard

I just felt tonight's draw confirmed that we never seem to get home 3rd round draws in the FA Cup; and the big clubs always do. So I've checked the 3rd round draws going back to 2000/01 when we drew Man Utd at home.

In fact, I was wrong. Of our 23 appearances in the 3rd round this century, we've been drawn at home in 13 of them, so over 50%. Surprisingly Man Utd have the same number of home 3rd round draws as us (13/23), as do Spurs. Both Liverpool and Arsenal have had fewer home draws than us, 10 and 11 respectively, while Man City have had 14 out of 23.

The real "winner" is Chelsea, with 17 home draws out of 23, including a sequence of 8 consecutive 3rd round home draws. So it's good to see them drawn away for once.

Jamie88

Good work as usual Ludlow.

Be interesting to also see how often we have been drawn to either Premier League or Championship opposition in the 3rd round in the last twenty or so years too. I feel like we very rarely get a tie against a club from the lower leagues and it is always a 'boring' looking tie against a team like Hull!

SuffolkWhite

A fair amount if all Prem ties, which is a good thing.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

bencher

Quote from: Jamie88 on November 29, 2022, 01:05:32 AM

Be interesting to also see how often we have been drawn to either Premier League or Championship opposition in the 3rd round in the last twenty or so years too. I feel like we very rarely get a tie against a club from the lower leagues and it is always a 'boring' looking tie against a team like Hull!

But we also have a bad habit of struggling against lower or non-league opposition. I remember with little fondness our home tie v Leigh RMI.

Ludlow Richard

Quote from: bencher on November 29, 2022, 07:59:21 AM

But we also have a bad habit of struggling against lower or non-league opposition. I remember with little fondness our home tie v Leigh RMI.

Since 2000/01 we have been drawn against lower league teams in the 3rd round on 13 occasions, so that is more than "very rarely". We have lost 3 of those 13 (Oldham, Bristol Rovers after a replay and on penalties, and Orient). Both the Oldham and Orient games were at home. The other 10 we obviously won, a few of these after replays.

Jamie88

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on November 29, 2022, 09:28:20 AM
Quote from: bencher on November 29, 2022, 07:59:21 AM

Since 2000/01 we have been drawn against lower league teams in the 3rd round on 13 occasions, so that is more than "very rarely". We have lost 3 of those 13 (Oldham, Bristol Rovers after a replay and on penalties, and Orient). Both the Oldham and Orient games were at home. The other 10 we obviously won, a few of these after replays.

Sorry I should've clarified. By lower league in this respect I guess I am saying a team that is at least 2/3 tiers below us maybe? Because Hull is technically lower league for us at the moment but it's not exactly Sutton Utd.

filham

Hull is worse than the average away game it is in Yorkshire and at the same time almost in the North Sea.
Hard to think of a more difficult and less attractive fixture.
Would have been a lot happier with Forrest Green Rovers or Man.u. away.