watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 26/11/22...

Started by WhiteJC, November 26, 2022, 12:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jay Stansfield: Exeter City's on-loan Fulham forward aiming to make a name for himself

Jay Stansfield scored four goals and provided another two assists in eight appearances last month

"One of the main worries of coming back down was living in his shadow," Jay Stansfield says as he reflects on his loan move to Exeter City.

The 20-year-old's surname is synonymous with Grecians fans through his father Adam, who, like his son, played up front, but passed away from cancer aged just 31 while a player at the club.

Having come up through Exeter's academy ranks before moving to Fulham in August 2019, Stansfield knew the League One club well, but needed to talk to his family about whether coming back was good for them as well as him.

So far, it seems his decision has been an excellent one. He has scored four goals, added another four assists and won October's EFL Young Player of the Month award.

"I'm coming down here for me and my development, and Exeter is obviously a very good place to be for the academy and producing young players," Stansfield told BBC Sport.

"I still see myself as an Exeter player, even though I'm at Fulham, but still a youngster and I knew I'd be able to come here and develop.

"I think a lot of loan players go out and rush their decision, and they might go to a place where it might not work out or where they don't feel comfortable.

"But coming down here where my family lived and a place that I knew, I thought I could just come down here and be myself."

'He's been incredible'

Jay Stansfield has struck up an impressive attacking partnership with Jevani Brown and Sam Nombe at Exeter City

Stansfield began the season in the Premier League, partnering Aleksandar Mitrovic up front in the west London derby against Brentford in August and featuring against Arsenal and Wolves.

Since his deadline day move to Exeter, the Grecians have got a new manager as Matt Taylor - a former team-mate of his father - left for Rotherham United and Gary Caldwell took over.

Former Scotland defender Caldwell has no doubt that Stansfield has what it takes to follow in the footsteps of former Exeter youngsters including Ethan Ampadu and Ollie Watkins and get to the top of the game.

"He's been incredible really, you forget how young he is to come on loan back to the club he was at as a kid and perform the way he's performed," Caldwell said.

"The sacrifice he's made in these big games and the work he's doing defensively take away from what he does in an attacking threat and how he is in that attacking phase, it's fantastic for a young player to be able to do that.

"What we're giving him in terms of game time, exposure, experience and what we are providing for Fulham moving forward will be brilliant when he goes back there in the summer.

"I'm sure he'll be a massive success in the Premier League with them, but we are giving him that experience that will help him moving forward."

And Stansfield himself is quite clear on where he sees his career going.

"Short term, I want to help the club be where they are and be in the top half of League One," he added.

"On a personal note, I want to get as many goals as possible and become a more mature and better player for when I go back to Fulham at the end of the season, and then see where that takes me.

"It might take me on another loan move, or I can try and push on and try and be in and around the squad more."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63729054

WhiteJC

Follow Fulham Women at Millwall on Sunday
Following their first home game at Craven Cottage in front of more than 3,000 fans last weekend, Fulham Women return to league action at Millwall Lionesses on Sunday.

Millwall are top of the London and South East Premier League – having lost just once this season – and currently have a two point lead over second-placed Worthing. Fulham are currently in fourth position, six points behind Sunday's opposition, which makes this weekend's game massive – especially as there is just one promotion place available.

The game kicks off at 3pm at the St. Paul's Sports Ground in Rotherhithe on Sunday afternoon. You can buy your tickets in advance (£5 adults; £2 concessions) via the Millwall website here.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/11/follow-fulham-women-at-millwall-on-sunday/

WhiteJC

25-year-old on Leeds books criticised by Nation's media for latest World Cup outing

Out-on-loan Leeds United winger Dan James has earned criticism from Wales Online for his cameo role during Wales' dismal 2-0 defeat to Iran on Friday – almost completely ending Wales' hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages.

James, 25, was the only change from the 1-1 draw against USA. He started that game, but was hooked at half-time for Kieffer Moore. The introduction of the Bournemouth striker completely changed the game for Wales, earning a point.

Against Iran, that substitution remained in the starting line-up. James was omitted from the 11, and in came Moore. Wales were arguably the better side in the first 45, but Iran completely dominated in the second half. They won 2-0.

The two goals came deep into injury time after Wales had goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey sent off. Aaron Ramsey was withdrawn and Wales could not recover, eventually losing the game. It means, Wales are likely to be knocked out.

A brilliant result though, for USA. With a point on the board, they know that a win over Iran – regardless of tonight's result against England – will be enough to see them qualify. Wales Online gave their player ratings immediately after.

Out-on-loan Leeds winger James earns criticism for Wales cameo
James came on in the 58th minute, but really struggled to show any kind of end product. Hard work, but nothing to show for it. Something Leeds fans will recognise, having scored just four goals in 40 games for Leeds.

Earning just 4/10 for his 32 minutes of normal time on the pitch, Wales Online said: "Definitely gave Wales an outlet further up the pitch when he came on. But, as is often the case, that end product was just lacking."

As stated, it is not the first time Leeds fans have seen James work hard and get into a couple of good positions. But then, fail to show the quality required to make it count. It was part of the reason Jesse Marsch sent him out on loan.

Wales could of course, still beat England. If the Three Lions beat USA tonight, they might play a weakened side to rest their best players against Wales – handing Rob Page's side more of a chance. But it is unlikely for the Welsh and James.

https://www.leedsunited.news/news/25-year-old-on-leeds-books-criticised-by-nations-media-for-latest-world-cup-outing/

WhiteJC

World Cup: Clean Sheet For Ream and Robinson

Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson put in excellent displays to help USA get another point on the board, this time drawing 0-0 with England.

Our American duo both played the full 90 minutes for the second time so far in the competition.

Jedi defended well when called upon and made a couple of his powerful runs, which we're all so used to enjoying in the Premier League.

Ream made his 48th appearance for his country, and dealt excellently with England's dangerous forward players on several occasions.

USA enjoyed the better of the first half, with Weson McKennie firing over from close-range, before Christian Pulisic rattled the bar with a venomous left-footed effort.

Gareth Southgate's side struggled to create many meaningful chances against a well organised opponent. Mason Mount forced Matt Turner into a solid save just before the break, and with seconds of the game remaining Harry Kane headed wide from a free-kick.

A win over Iran next Tuesday would guarantee progression into the knockout stages for our pair.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/november/25/World-Cup-Clean-Sheet-For-Ream-And-Robinson/

WhiteJC

Dan James insists Wales hold 'no fear' and 'have nothing to lose' against England as manager Rob Page all but concedes World Cup elimination as he hints younger players will be fielded against Gareth Southgate's side

Wales are on the verge of being eliminated from the World Cup after loss to Iran
    But Dan James says they have 'nothing' to lose in final match against England
    Manager Rob Page has hinted he may field younger players against Three Lions

Wales forward Dan James insisted that the side head into their last game against England with 'no fear' and 'nothing to lose', despite a tortuous defeat to Iran which leaves their hopes of reaching the knock-out stages hanging by a thread.

Wales must beat Gareth Southgate's side on Tuesday if they are to have any hopes of emulating the last Wales World Cup team, who reached the knockout stages in 1958. Manager Rob Page provided a hint that his squad know it's over when he said he may field younger players in the game.

James, who was dropped to the bench for the first time in 35 games, said: 'We've got look at what we could've done better in this game and try and take the positives out of it. We've got to go into that game (against England) with no fear. We've got nothing to lose.

'We're here. We've got one game left. We can't go into that thinking we've already lost. We can pick ourselves up.'

Manager Rob Page said he had no complaints about the result because 'the majority of the team' were 'not at it' against Carlos Queiroz's side.

It is hard to avoid the sense that an end of a golden era is taking place here, with a 33-year-old Gareth Bale and 31-year-old Aaron Ramsey struggling to make much impression in the past two games. When Wales needed a win in their second game, against Turkey, at last summer's European Championships, Bale and Ramsey linked up memorably. They were marginal figures.

To the question of whether it was the end of two stars' era, Page said: 'I don't want to talk about that. We want to prepare a game against England, a local derby, to finish off. I am disappointed because we fell well below the standards we set to qualify. 

'If we had met those standards. we would have been okay and when you don't do that in top competitions, you get punished.'

Page hinted that other players might be used, with Nottingham Forest forward Brennan Johnson one of those who will be asked to take on the mantle when this campaign is over.

'It is a problem that we ask players that are not playing for their club to come and give performance after performance,' Page said. 'We will have to look at it and if necessary make changes to freshen things up.'

He did not deny that it was the most punishing blow he has experienced in management. 'This is a hard one to take because of the stage we are on,' Page reflected. 'I have said to them before every game: "Go out and show the world." But we got our rewards today. We deserved that defeat. We will go again.

'We want to finish the competition on a high. It is out of our hands for going through. We want to finish on a good performance and a win. We are low at the minute but will get them back tomorrow and get them up.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11470521/Dan-James-insists-Wales-hold-no-fear-lose-against-England.html