Main Menu

The Almost Nearly January Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 04, 2022, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambler

Friendsoffulham

LC

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on December 06, 2022, 06:50:57 PM

No where near enough, not even close. £15m plus Matt Targett and we can start a dialogue

Jules

Quote from: LC on December 06, 2022, 07:07:27 PM

No where near enough, not even close. £15m plus Matt Targett and we can start a dialogue
Agree - good call

JimOG

Quote from: Jules on December 06, 2022, 07:22:48 PM

Agree - good call

He's contracted until June 2024...why sell him now?

General

£15 Mill is too little. Robinson is young and a solid defender for PL level and more than good enough to build from with his pace and ability to recover and make solid tackles.

On top of that he's got a longer term contract and is our Fulham America connection into the future, something I'm sure the khan's will want to maintain.

LC

Quote from: General on December 06, 2022, 08:10:03 PM
£15 Mill is too little. Robinson is young and a solid defender for PL level and more than good enough to build from with his pace and ability to recover and make solid tackles.

On top of that he's got a longer term contract and is our Fulham America connection into the future, something I'm sure the khan's will want to maintain.

I agree, but he doesn't have a long term contract, his contract is up in 1.5 years, so his contract needs to be addressed, if we can't agree a new contract by the summer then we may need to consider selling him, but as it's been pointed over before, Fulham under the Khan's haven't been a selling club, so it will be interesting to see how it handles. Personally, I would like to see him stay, he's stepped up this year

Hatch007

Given Marc Cucurella went for c. £62m to Chelsea Robinson (only one year older than MC) has to be worth a helluva lot more than £15m but I still wouldn't sell him. Nor do I think the Khans will.

Jules

Quote from: JimOG on December 06, 2022, 08:00:08 PM

Agree - good call

I wouldn't want to sell him but it comes down to his contract and whether he would sign a new deal soon. If not, best to sell for maximum we can get with 1.5 yrs left on his current deal. I rate Robinson defensively and pace wise but we got him for peanuts so (only if he wants to go) an offer around the £30-35m mark I would take and reinvest in the squad.

filham

Quote from: Jules on December 07, 2022, 11:13:08 AM

Agree - good call

I wouldn't want to sell him but it comes down to his contract and whether he would sign a new deal soon. If not, best to sell for maximum we can get with 1.5 yrs left on his current deal. I rate Robinson defensively and pace wise but we got him for peanuts so (only if he wants to go) an offer around the £30-35m mark I would take and reinvest in the squad.
Sell Robinson and the immediate problem is a replacement, that has to be addressed before we sell.
Necastle's current league position has gone to their head and they are acting like a big 6 club with a £15m bid for a player worth at least twice the amount.

sarnian

According to one fan site Robinson would be a disastrous signing for Newcastle based on his USA performances.  Do these people actually watch games or have a clue about football.  Another site talks about Onomah to Rangers but do not even realise they are showing the wrong photograph.

My gran could write better stories and she's dead.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Jules on December 07, 2022, 11:13:08 AM

Agree - good call

Wigan have a 20% sell on clause for him as well FYI.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Are you sure about the sell on clause? I thought they had missed out on not building that in to the transfer.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on December 07, 2022, 11:53:24 AM
Are you sure about the sell on clause? I thought they had missed out on not building that in to the transfer.

Yep we paid them £2m and a 20% sell on clause - was confirmed by their administrators I believe as well

JimmyConway

I thought we paid them up front as they were in the do do at the time with no clauses attached.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

It would be nice to have this positively confirmed because I really did think that they had missed out .
I thought there was an article about their costly mistake.

SG

Quote from: JimmyConway on December 07, 2022, 01:28:23 PM
I thought we paid them up front as they were in the do do at the time with no clauses attached.

There was an article in the papers a few weeks back containing an interview with the chap who conducted all their transfers at the time. He said that although of necessity the fees were low he managed to insert sell on clauses into all the deals. They are expecting Wigan to benefit (i think they already have in a couple of instances) from a few more of these in the coming months and years

JimOG

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on December 07, 2022, 01:36:34 PM
It would be nice to have this positively confirmed because I really did think that they had missed out .
I thought there was an article about their costly mistake.

I heard both versions but this from Wigan Today so I assume they're accurate

"Fulham actually paid £2million to help Latics out but - crucially - they accepted a sell-on clause of 20 per cent.

One of the administrators, Paul Stanley, confirmed that was the case during one of the press conferences at the time."

Friendsoffulham

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on December 08, 2022, 03:07:25 PM
?

"Are Fulham making a mistake?
Fulham's current stance on Robinson might not be the right call.

Although they won't want to weaken their squad midseason with Premier League survival still uncertain, the January transfer window may also be their best chance of securing a big fee for the defender."

What a silly paragraph... keeping our best players will likely keep us up and net us a hellluva lot more than the 15-20m wed get for him. He's more likely to stay put as well.