watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: US WC Coverage is…wretched

Started by McBrideOfFrankenstein, December 06, 2022, 01:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Not sure who else has the misfortune of watching the tournament stateside but it's about the most dire sports coverage I've ever seen, and I tend to be pretty forgiving. Clint and Landon, bless their hearts, have the combined personality of a pile of broken rocks, and Lalas gets old quick. The play by play announcers, if anything, are worse: acid, boring, and vain (that last one is single worst quality a play by play announcer can have, imo — your ego needs to come second to the action).

Never thought I'd say this, but here's praying NBC has the rights next time.

Forever Fulham

I can't stand Alexi Lalas.  Insufferable. 

RaySmith

We don't know how lucky we are here with Lineker etc.

alfie

Quote from: RaySmith on December 06, 2022, 08:54:28 AM
Just out of curiosity why do people have a go at Lineker, I just don't see what the problem is, seems ok to me.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Penfold

Quote from: alfie on December 06, 2022, 10:02:37 AM
Just out of curiosity why do people have a go at Lineker, I just don't see what the problem is, seems ok to me.

I find that the people who dislike Lineker, do so mainly due to his politics.

filham

Coverage in the UK has been magnificent with so many matches being shown across different channels. At time it is like wall to wall football.
I have been expecting complaints from those not interested in football because many other programmes are having to make way.

jarv

Liniker politics?  I have not picked up on that. I would be interested to hear. I think he is ok at what he does but grossly overpaid.

Woolly Mammoth

Personally apart from his distasteful politics, Lineker is more Wooden than a Wooden Woodpecker trapped in a Timber Yard.
His drone of a voice coupled with his boring personality and completely bankrupt of any charisma or social skills, makes him one step up the evolutionary ladder from a Garden Gnome, when it comes to his only job is reading off an auto cue which is as bland as it gets.
He obviously has an associate in a high place at his place of work.
Money for old rope, it's not what you know it's who you know.
If the bbc had piles it would be Lineker.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bill2

His football punditry is not bad but he does tend to look down his nose at some clubs. Most people do t like him for his political comments as if he is some sort of expert on all things.

alfie

Quote from: Bill2 on December 06, 2022, 01:21:04 PM

His football punditry is not bad but he does tend to look down his nose at some clubs. Most people do t like him for his political comments as if he is some sort of expert on all things.
I'm not interested in his political comments, he does ok for me in the football world.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 06, 2022, 12:05:40 PM

Personally apart from his distasteful politics, Lineker is more Wooden than a Wooden Woodpecker trapped in a Timber Yard.
His drone of a voice coupled with his boring personality and completely bankrupt of any charisma or social skills, makes him one step up the evolutionary ladder from a Garden Gnome, when it comes to his only job is reading off an auto cue which is as bland as it gets.
Funnily enough, bland is what i thought when reading this.
Perhaps you are expecting too much from him?

Holders

He's a moderate, if that's what people don't like about him. My only beef with him would be for looking down his nose at Fulham. He can't help what the BBC is prepared to pay him.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Cambridge Away

One thing i preferred from the American commentators were their female commentators. They just sound like American women who watch football. I don't know if it's one woman or several we have here in England that try to sound like 'football geezer-birds' when they are commentating (or some kind of female equivalent of Jonathan Pearce - pushing something out when on the toilet).
Are 'football geezer-birds' considered more palatable for male football fans transitioning to having to hear women commenting on football? And is it because a softer sounding lady is considered distracting? If so, how can she be distracting if you can't even see her?

St Eve

Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on December 06, 2022, 01:42:39 AM
Not sure who else has the misfortune of watching the tournament stateside but it's about the most dire sports coverage I've ever seen, and I tend to be pretty forgiving. Clint and Landon, bless their hearts, have the combined personality of a pile of broken rocks, and Lalas gets old quick. The play by play announcers, if anything, are worse: acid, boring, and vain (that last one is single worst quality a play by play announcer can have, imo — your ego needs to come second to the action).

Never thought I'd say this, but here's praying NBC has the rights next time.
It's terrible. Don't know if you noticed but they should the half time score as END 1 V SEN 0. Not sure who END is but at least they were winning!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Cambridge Away on December 06, 2022, 01:34:02 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 06, 2022, 12:05:40 PM

Funnily enough, bland is what i thought when reading this.
Perhaps you are expecting too much from him?

Wolves do not listen to sheep.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

love4ffc

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 06, 2022, 05:43:51 AM
I can't stand Alexi Lalas.  Insufferable. 
This for me.  He makes everything about himself and puts almost everything and everyone down. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

jarv

Thanks wooly for enlightening me. I will take a fresh look (or listen) to his diatribe in future. As I said, grossly overpaid.

jarv

Title... WC coverage wretched....how about the football, worse than wretched.  How many 0-0 games can we put up with (I stopped watching, if h-t was 0-0, no reason to switch it on.

England, yes very good, opposition so far, 3rd division level. Three good teams, England France and Brazil. I think we can all guess which 2 will be in the final. Despite being Scottish, I hope it is England v Brazil. 

I am a fan of Southgate, a Crawley boy, where I went to school.

WindyCity

Yep, have to agree with the TO.  Dempsey and Donovan are very weak, uninteresting.  And Lalas, as one poster mentioned, is insufferable.  Time he moves on from soccer/football commentary.  Can't stand him.

As far as the live play by play broadcasting, largely not very good at all.  Disappointing, but not totally terrible.  It is what it is....

Chi_FFC

And what makes the poor Fox product particularly tough to take is that ESPN (who had the US WC rights prior to 2018) did an excellent job with their WC coverage.