https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Penalties.

Started by Tempest, December 06, 2022, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

Hard, low and in the corner.
Hard, high and in the corner.

Honestly it really isn't much more complicated than that. Penalties in the PL and WC have been woeful.

If they won't take advice from the Ray Stewart or Stuart Pearce can help them.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

jarv

Also, hard and high down the middle, so you miss the keepers legs as he dives out the way. 

bog

I will never forget seeing the original Paneka pen in 1976 when his audacity saw the Czech Republic beat W Germany to win the Euros. Stunning!  :54:

092.gif

filham

Those penalties tonight in the Spanish match have to be the wort seen in a professional match.

WindyCity

Quote from: filham on December 06, 2022, 06:17:16 PM
Those penalties tonight in the Spanish match have to be the wort seen in a professional match.

Didn't see, but hard to imagine worse PK's taken than Japan.  Atrocious.....

SerbianLad

Japan yesterday were way worse.

alfie

In the words of Alan Shearer
"Pick your spot, put the ball down and HIT IT.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

davew

Quote from: SerbianLad on December 06, 2022, 06:44:35 PM
Not sure I agree with that, perhaps it should be decided on penalties.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Twig

Quote from: davew on December 06, 2022, 07:15:20 PM

It's a close run thing but for me the Spanish failures were the worst I have ever seen. Three attempts and three clunkers. None were hit with any authority at all, they looked to have totally bottled the whole thing. Just imagine if England were to go out in an equally inept shot out!

SerbianLad

Quote from: Twig on December 06, 2022, 08:02:41 PM
Quote from: davew on December 06, 2022, 07:15:20 PM

It's a close run thing but for me the Spanish failures were the worst I have ever seen. Three attempts and three clunkers. None were hit with any authority at all, they looked to have totally bottled the whole thing. Just imagine if England were to go out in an equally inept shot out!

Asano took a great penalty for Japan, but I feel like their misses were worse than Spanish misses. The first penalty was particularly bad, it had no power at all. And was nowhere near the post either.
I'd maybe say Spain was worse overall because they didn't score a single penalty, but Japanese had worse misses. That's just my opinon anyway, you made valid arguments as well.

FulhamForThought

Japan seemed to be playing it "safe" and just trying to hit the target.

Some credit needs to be given to the goalkeepers too. Lots of very good saves - timing the dives off the line to narrow the angle well etc.

St Eve

We are so good at penalties so no need to worry

Lester Burnham

There is no excuse for a professional football player to ever miss a penalty

Woolly Mammoth

There should be a penalty imposed on players who miss a penalty.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JimOG

Quote from: bog on December 06, 2022, 06:11:03 PM
I will never forget seeing the original Paneka pen in 1976 when his audacity saw the Czech Republic beat W Germany to win the Euros. Stunning!  :54:

092.gif

Me neither & I think it was past Oliver Khan as well. But Morocco's last penalty feathered straight down the middle with keeper already gone out of shot had wonderful echoes of that

filham

Quote from: alfie on December 06, 2022, 06:54:43 PM
In the words of Alan Shearer
"Pick your spot, put the ball down and HIT IT.

And don't change your mind.

Lester Burnham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 06, 2022, 11:07:36 PM
There should be a penalty imposed on players who miss a penalty.
Like it! Immediate: other team get's to take a pen. Physical: Larger of the missing player's testicles removed. Or team: A weeks course on how to take a pen given by the Japanese or Spanish manager.

Jim©

I  remember seeing some research that showed if you hit it highish (around chest height) straight down the middle, you'd have by far the best chance of conversion, around 3 times more than corners. It doesn't even need to be hit hard.

bencher

I think Spain made a big tactical error by having Pedro Sarabia taken the first penalty. He had just missed a huge chance to score moments before the end of extra time when his volley kissed the far post. You could see from his body language that he was still wound up from missing that chance. They needed someone with a cool head. He missed and that set the tone and put them on the backfoot. They had a look of resignation from his miss onwards.

filham

The pure quality of penalties continued int the Netherlands Argentina match, just hope England can score from pens if need be tonight.