watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 18/12/22...

Started by WhiteJC, December 18, 2022, 08:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Premier League cult hero still playing at 50 after going from non-league to top flight

Barry Hayles has been playing senior football for almost 30 years having started his career at Stevenage before representing the likes of Fulham, Leicester and Sheffield United

Barry Hayles has gone from non-league right back to 50-year-old veteran - via the Premier League (Image: Getty Images)

The career of a footballer can be a rollercoaster at times, no matter whether it is in the Premier League or in the 11th tier of the English game.

Barry Hayles embarked on his senior career at the start of the 1993/94 season - almost 30 years ago - but the forward has no intentions of stopping just yet. He began his playing days at non-league Stevenage and worked his way through the divisions to shine in the Premier League for Fulham, before also representing Leicester and Sheffield United.

Having turned 50 in May, Hayles is still going at his 14th different club across a career that has seen him score over 300 goals and double digits at the highest level. It has been a remarkable journey for the former Jamaica forward - one which actually began as a right-back at Stevenage.

In an interview with the Daily Star, Hayles said: "I went to Stevenage as a right-back and the manager said he needed a striker. I scored in that game and that was it. I was happy as a defender, I thought that was my best position but apparently not. Some of my old team-mates still say I was better at the back but there we go."

After impressing at Stevenage, Hayles earned himself a move to Bristol Rovers, where he went onto shine for the League Two outfit, topping the fourth-division scoring charts with an impressive 23 goals. Hayles' career continued to move in an upward curve when he joined Fulham in a deal worth around £2million in 1998.

Hayles made over 200 appearances during his spell with the west Londoners, scoring 44 league goals and helping them to two promotions from the third tier up to the Premier League. He is renowned as a cult hero at Craven Cottage, with Hayles netting 13 goals in the top flight after leading them to the promised land.

Barry Hayles is known for his goal-scoring ability and fiery temper ( Image:
Getty Images)

Having also won the UEFA Intertoto Cup during his time at the Whites, Hayles has fond memories of his journey from Bristol Rovers to Fulham, although it could've turned out a whole lot different. Local rivals Bristol City had put in the same bid for the striker, but he didn't want to move across the town.

Hayles, who was born in Lambeth, added: "Bristol City had put in a £2m bid in that was accepted by the club but I turned it down. I couldn't go there. I took the gamble and stayed but when Fulham came, it was a perfect fit to go back to London.

"[Then-owner Mohamed] Al Fayed had come in and he brought players from higher leagues to Fulham and he completely changed the ethos of the club. At the same time there was youngsters like Sean Davis coming through, so it was a great mix.

"[Kevin] Keegan signed me, so that was a buzz. When I came in, he made me feel like I was one of the best players in the world and it all clicked from there. The players we had as well as a great social group, it all blended on and off the pitch. It was a perfect fit."

Barry Hayles joined Fulham and scored 18 goals in the 2000/01 season to help them reach the Premier League ( Image:
Getty Images)

Hayles played with Louis Saha, who later represented Manchester United, in his time at Fulham, with the pair striking up a formidable partnership. When the Whites won promotion to the Premier League, they won 30 of their 46 league matches and secured 101 points, with Hayles and Luis Boa Morte each scoring 18 times and Saha netting 27.

Hayles added: "He (Saha) was by far the best player I played with. He had it all. In training, I used to tell him to tone it down to give the lads a bit of confidence. He was that good."

Hayles' game time was limited in the 2003/04 season, which led to him moving to Championship outfit Sheffield United. However, he didn't see eye-to-eye with Neil Warnock and then had brief stints at Millwall, Plymouth Argyle, Leicester and Cheltenham before initially hanging up his boots.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-hayles-fulham-leicester-28728900

WhiteJC

USA defender Tim Ream brands Gio Reyna's World Cup fallout with coach Gregg Berhalter 'a non-story' and insists there was NOT a vote in camp over sending the player home

Gio Reyna was surprisingly left out of every USA starting team at the World Cup 
    After USA lost to Holland, it emerged Gregg Berhalter had fallen out with Reyna
    Quotes surfaced from the coach saying that they nearly sent Reyna home 
    Now, defender Tim Ream has moved to diffuse talk of a fallout between the two

Tim Ream has tried to downplay the public fallout between Gio Reyna and USA coach Gregg Berhalter after the USMNT went out of the World Cup.

The 19-year-old Reyna was a surprise omission from every starting line-up at the tournament in Qatar and only came on in two games.

After returning to the US, quotes surfaced from Berhalter that a player in the team - later revealed to be Reyna - was almost sent home due to poor behavior and that a vote was held over sending him home. Reyna responded on Instagram expressing disappointment at the story coming out but admitted his attitude dipped out of frustration at being told he would have a minor role on the team.

Tim Ream has said Gio Reyna's fallout with USA coach Gregg Berhlater is 'a non-story'

Reyna was a surprise omission in Qatar and didn't start a single game - he only played twice 

'I mean for us, it's a non-story. We dealt with it in camp, things moved on, we moved past it and that's where we are,' Ream told his podcast, Indirect.

'The players, there was no vote. So we can put that to bed. And like I said, we addressed it in camp and (Reyna) did what he had to do, and obviously came on against the Netherlands and played a pretty solid 45 minutes for us and helped to kind of drag us back into the game. 

'So yeah for us, that's it. That's the end of it.'

Reyna took to Instagram after Berhalter's quotes emerged and appeared to criticize his international coach for bringing the story to light.

'I hoped not to comment on matters at the World Cup,' Reyna said. 'It is my belief that things that happen in a team setting ought to remain private. That being said, statements have been made that reflect on my professionalism and character, so I feel the need to make a brief statement. 

But Ream has insisted the fallout with Reyna was dealt with promptly by Berhalter and staff

Reyna took to Instagram after quotes from Berhalter emerged about a player's attitude dipping

'Just before the World Cup, Coach Berhalter told me that my role at the tournament would be very limited. I was devastated. I am someone who plays with pride and passion.

'Soccer is my life, and I believe in my abilities. I fully expected and desperately wanted to contribute to the play of a talented group as we tried to make a statement at the World Cup.

'I am also a very emotional person, and I fully acknowledge that I let my emotions get the best of me and affect my training and behavior for a few days after learning about my limited role. I apologized to my teammates and coach for this, and I was told I was forgiven.

'Thereafter, I shook off my disappointment and gave everything I had on and off the field. I am disappointed that there is continuing coverage of this matter (as well as some highly fictionalized versions of events) and extremely surprised that anyone on the US men's team staff would contribute to it.

'Coach Berhalter has always said that issues that arise with the team will stay "in house" so we can focus on team unity and progress. I love my team, I love representing my country, and I am focusing now only on improving and growing as a soccer player and a person.

'I hope that going forward each person involved in U.S. Soccer focuses only on what is in the best interest of the men's national team so we can enjoy great success at the World Cup in 2026.'

Berhalter is currently out of contract with the US - his latest deal expired with the 2022 World Cup.

It has been reported that tentative talks over an extension had taken place, but that was before the Reyna saga leaked. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11549099/USA-defender-Tim-Ream-brands-Gio-Reynas-fallout-coach-Gregg-Berhalter-non-story.html

WhiteJC

Hammers hold Fulham in friendly
Fulham were held to a draw by London neighbours in their final winter friendly before the Premier League's resumption at a cold Craven Cottage this afternoon. Marco Silva's side had the better of the first half and deservedly led at the break after Carlos Vinicius headed his first Fulham goal from a fine Kenny Tete cross after a flowing move along the right flank. But the Hammers shaded the second half and Jarrod Bowen punished some poor defending to bring the visitors level with a low shot past Marek Rodak just after the hour.

Silva's side showed a degree of experimentation nine days ahead of the Boxing Day trip to Crystal Palace with Tim Ream lining up at left back after his World Cup exploits. Tom Cairney started in central midfield with Bobby Decordova-Reid and William on the wings and Vinicius leading the line. The Hammers began with arguably their strongest possible line-up without their participants at the World Cup, with only Michail Antoinio missing aside from those injured.

Fulham made the brighter side with the peerless Andreas Pereira to the fore. Within ninety seconds, he had produced a clever turn to get away from claret and blue tacklers and then he won a corner with a trademark burst of pace. The Brazilian inadvertently Gianluca Scamacca's afternoon early with a late tackle and then fashioned the first chance of note when working a ball out to Cairney. The Fulham skipper fed Willian, who had a fine first half, but his compatriot Pereira could only shoot straight at Lukasz Fabianski.

Bowen then wasted a glorious opportunity, turning a shot wide from inside the six yard box after a brilliant run down the right from Vladimir Coufal. Benrahma ballooned an effort high into the Hammersmith End after cutting in from the left flank, but the rest of the half belonged to Fulham. Vinicius twice headed wide from promising positions and looked destined to end the half frustrated when his clever flick from Pereira's cross was deflected wide.

But the Brazilian, largely used as an understudy to Aleksandar Mitrovic in his first four months at Craven Cottage, gave Fulham the lead two minutes before the break. A prolonged period of home pressure paid off when Pereira and Decordova-Reid worked an angle for Tete to cross and Vinicius beat Craig Dawson to head home. It was a lead Fulham's fine finish to the half merited and initially they looked likelier to extend their advantage after the break.

But West Ham's greater creativity and tenacity eventually told. Marek Rodak produced a fine reaction save to deny Pablo Fornals but proved helpless when Flynn Downes won the ball back on the edge of the Fulham box and fed Bowen, who fired clinically past the Slovakian international. The Whites replied with a drive from distance from Cairney but the visitors finished the stronger with Rodak preserving a share of the spoils as he tipped over a late header from Tomas Soucek.

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Leno (Rodak 45); Tete, Ream (Mbabu 64), Diop, Adarabioyo; Reed, Cairney (Harris 83); Decordova-Reid (Wilson 74), Willian (James 64), Pereira; Vinicius. Subs (not used): McNally, Duffy, McAvoy, Chalobah, Onomah, McFarlane.

GOAL: Vinicius (43).

WEST HAM UNITED (4-2-3-1): Fabianski; Coufal, Emerson (Johnson 78), Dawson, Ogbonna; Soucek, Lanzini; Fornals, Bowen (Swyer 86), Benrahma (Mubama 86); Scamacca (Downes 12). Subs (not used): Randolph, Hegyi, Coventry, Ekwah, Ashby, Laing, Potts, Forbes.

GOAL: Bowen (62).

REFEREE: John Brooks.

ATTENDANCE: 9,625

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/12/hammers-hold-fulham-in-friendly/

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 West Ham

Carlos Vincius scored his first goal at Craven Cottage as the Whites drew 1-1 with West Ham United in a friendly on Saturday afternoon.

Fulham's return to the Cottage for the first time since the beginning of November saw Marco field a strong eleven against West Ham United. Some of our young Whites featured on the bench, including Alfie McNally, Conor McAvoy, and Callum McFarlane, who have impressed for our academy teams this season.

Fulham led the way in the opening minutes, working the ball forward into dangerous areas but weren't able to test the Hammers' 'keeper, Lukasz Fabianski.

However, a well worked move, starting off with a neat backheel from Willian into the path of Tom Cairney, was fizzed into the box to be struck sweetly by Andreas Pereira, but Fabianski was equal to it.

Minutes later, West Ham had a chance of their own, with a ball whipped in nicely to Jarrod Bowen but fortunately, he was unable to connect with it properly and the ball whistled past the post.

Fresh from Qatar and as seemingly unfazed by the drastic change in temparature as he was at playing left-back on Saturday, Tim Ream had an effort from distance, a left-footed volley from 20 yards, fly just over the crossbar.

On the cusp of half-time, Fulham turned on the pressure, in particular Willian, who mustered a few ooos and ahhs from the Johnny Haynes Stand with his footwork and trickery.

The pressure eventually all came to fruition, when in the 42nd minute, Carlos Vinicius flicked the ball into the back of the net with his head from a ball whipped in by Kenny Tete. The forward's movement got him in front of Craig Dawson and there was nothing that Fabianski could do from close range.

Into the second half and it was a change of goalkeeper for the Whites, with Marek Rodák coming in for Bernd Leno and he was quickly put to the test with a shot from inside the box delivered by Pablo Fornals but Rody pulled off a strong save to keep it out.

In the 62nd minute, Jarrod Bowen levelled the score when the ball fell to him after Flynn Downes won a tackle on the edge of the area.

The game settled following the equaliser with only half chances created by either side; TC's audacious effort from outside the area the most notable of the batch.

A poor touch from Tosin was sprung on to by Said Benrahma and it looked like he was through on goal but Tosin got back to slow the move down before it fizzled out.

Searching for a winner, West Ham's Pablo Fornals crossed in a ball to Tomas Soucek whose header called for a spectacular save from Rodák to put it over the crossbar.

The game finished 1-1 in Fulham's final friendly before a return to Premier League action on Boxing Day, away at Crystal Palace.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/december/17/Fulham-1-1-West-Ham/

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 West Ham: Carlos Vinicius' first-half header is cancelled out by Jarrod Bowen's equaliser at Craven Cottage as both teams gain valuable minutes ahead of the Premier League's return... while Declan Rice watches on from the stands

Brazilian Carlos Vinicius opened the scoring for Fulham with a brilliant header
    Worrying scenes saw West Ham striker Gianluca Scamacca limp off injured
    While Englishman Jarrod Bowen helped the Hammers avoid defeat late on
    Both teams gained valuable minutes ahead of the Premier League's return 

Fulham and West Ham settled for a draw on Saturday as the London duo ramped up their preparations for the imminent resumption of the Premier League.

The English top-flight rivals met at Craven Cottage, with goals either side of half-time seeing spoils shared in the friendly match in the capital.

Brazilian striker Carlos Vinicius opened the scoring with a well-taken header past Hammers keeper Lukasz Fabianski as he rose highest to meet Kenny Tete's cross.

Jarrod Bowen (second from left) equalised with a late strike at Craven Cottage on Saturday

Striker Carlos Vinicus (number 30) opened the scoring for Fulham with a well-taken header

A lacklustre West Ham, led by David Moyes, failed to impress during large exchanges of the first-half as the hosts comfortably defended their lead in front of a packed Cottage crowd. 

The visitors eventually got their breakthrough in the second-half as Englishman Jarrod Bowen capitalised on a defensive mix-up in the Fulham ranks to pull his side level. 

West Ham midfielder Tomas Soucek squandered the chance to seal a late comeback victory as his towering header was superbly tipped over the bar by Marek Rodak with the match finishing 1-1.

England star and West Ham captain Declan Rice watched on from the stands as he continues to enjoy an extended break following the Three Lions' World Cup exit. 

The Hammers skipper wrote in a post on his Instagram before kick-off that it was 'good to be back watching the boys'.

A close-fought encounter saw both sets of players gain valuable match minutes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11549361/Fulham-1-1-West-Ham-Carlos-Vinicius-half-header-cancelled-Jarrod-Bowen.html

WhiteJC

Dan James at Fulham: What's the latest on his Leeds United future? Could we see developments in January?

Leeds United winger Dan James could be looking at more movement in his career as 2023 approaches, with uncertainty the key verdict for both the Whites and Fulham.

There was a lot of change at Elland Road over the summer as Jesse Marsch aimed to mould his squad towards his playing style during his first transfer window.

A late departure saw Dan James leave the club on loan as he moved to Fulham for the 2022/23 campaign, managed by Marco Silva.

He may have notched his first goal at Craven Cottage in the 1-2 defeat to Manchester United right before the World Cup break, but things aren't going perfectly for the winger at Fulham.

Here, we look at all the lates on his future at Leeds and Fulham.

What are the terms of the deal?
James joined the Cottagers on a season-long loan which has no reported obligation for the London outfit to make the deal permanent, according to Phil Hay:

"I still need to ask about the details of the Dan James deal, but there has been no talk about an obligation to buy with Fulham taking him on permanently at the end of the loan."

Will Fulham sign him permanently?
It seems unlikely that Silva will be keen to make James a permanent signing after an underwhelming start to life with his new side.

That's the view of Jack Collins of the Ranks FC and Fulhamish podcasts (via the YEP):

"We've probably not seen enough to be talking about making this deal permanent from a fan perspective, especially with the numbers that were being thrown around earlier in the summer window."

Could anything happen in January
However, there could be movement from Fulham as soon as January with regards to James.

At present, James' loan from Leeds and Shane Duffy's from Brighton take up their two permitted loan slots, and if they are wanting to sign another player on a temporary basis in the new year, one will have to make way.

Collins continued:

"There are rumours of Fulham looking to bring in another domestic loan, which would suggest that one of our two already taken up – James and Shane Duffy of Brighton – might be either terminated or made into a permanent deal."

https://www.leedsallover.com/dan-james-at-fulham-whats-the-latest-on-his-leeds-united-future-could-we-see-developments-in-january/

WhiteJC

Silva pleased with West Ham test
Marco Silva professed himself pleased with the quality of Fulham's final pre-season friendly after the Whites drew with West Ham United at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

The Fulham head coach hailed an excellent first half display from his side – with Carlos Vinicius heading the hosts in front just before half time – but was heavily critical of Fulham's second half showing that saw Jarrod Bowen equalise after Tom Cairney was caught in possession on the edge of his own box.

Silva told FFCTV after the final whistle:

"It was a very good first half. I believe that we did many very good things in the first half, we took many positives from that first 45 minutes. Our second half was definitely not at the same level. We didn't do the things we did in the first half and we showed a completely different second half. The first half was the level that we like to see our team. We know have to analyse what happened in the second half and explain this to the players so that it doesn't happen again.

It was important for us to put minutes in the tank and give feedback to the players. It is important to play at the right level to be ready for Boxing Day. It was important for Carlos to score. All strikers need this type of moment to grow their confidence. He was working hard to get it. It was a good open play move for us and a very good finish from Carlos. He is adapting well and I think with the capacity to work hard, there is more to come."

The Fulham boss was pleased to welcome Tim Ream, Harry Wilson and Dan James back from their World Cup exploits and hopes to have all of the players who played in Qatar back for the trip to Crystal Palace on Boxing Day:

"We know that when we are all together we are stronger. We need all of them ready and conditioned for the restart. We had some injuries that have been creating some problems for us – let us hope we have all the players ready for when the competition starts again."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/12/silva-pleased-with-west-ham-test/

WhiteJC

Ream: 'I want to play every single minute'
Tim Ream insisted that he wanted to play every single minute possible of Fulham's season after returning earlier than expected to Marco Silva's starting line-up following his World Cup exploits.

The 35 year old defender, who starred as the United States reached the second round in Qatar, started at left back in this afternoon's 1-1 draw with West Ham as the Whites warmed up for the resumption of their Premier League campaign on Boxing Day. Ream – one of the revelations of Fulham's fine return to the top flight – told Hammyend.com afterwards that he is happy to fill in wherever he is asked to.

"I had a conversation with the manager yesterday. He said that I'd played left back at Forest, play left back the way I play left back not the way Antonee plays left back because he's a little bit younger than me and has a little bit more pace than me. Listen, I'm happy to play. I'm happy to play left back, I'm happy to play centre back, I'm happy to play wherever the manager needs me. I want to put my very best foot forward and do the very best I possibly can."

Ream revealed that the Fulham squad are disappointed not to have more points on the board after an encouraging opening to their latest Premier League campaign – particularly after stoppage time setbacks against both Manchester City and Manchester United sent the Whites into the winter break on a sour note.

"We're obviously going to look to push on and build on our good start. At the same time, I think we understand that there's a little bit of disappointment because we feel we could have had more points on the board. That is what we're going to look to do. We're going to look to carry that form into the second half of the season."

The dependable defender still feels he is making up for lost time after watching most of Fulham's 2020/2021 campaign from the sidelines – and reiterated that his ambition is to stay in Silva's first eleven.

"Personally, it is the same goal every single season. I want to play every single minute that I possibly can. At the minute, I'm there and there's the potential to play every single match. As long as I'm doing that and as long as the team is doing well and push on for the remainder of the 23 games, we're going to be in a good position."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/12/ream-i-want-to-play-every-single-minute/