watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zaha today - previous thread re refs

Started by Whitesideup, December 26, 2022, 09:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesideup

Anyone else at the game today think Zaha should have had a yellow card, then a red if he continued his petulant antics? I thought he was disgraceful. Refs accepting this kind of stuff have only themselves to blame.

HarryBayles

Quote from: Whitesideup on December 26, 2022, 09:00:11 PM
Anyone else at the game today think Zaha should have had a yellow card, then a red if he continued his petulant antics? I thought he was disgraceful. Refs accepting this kind of stuff have only themselves to blame.
The final sentence hits the nail on the head for me. I've no idea why the refs allow players to act like it and I lose sympathy with them because of the fact they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookieg

Quote from: HarryBayles on December 26, 2022, 09:26:54 PM
The final sentence hits the nail on the head for me. I've no idea why the refs allow players to act like it and I lose sympathy with them because of the fact they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately a player that always plays the victim and has got away with it for so long. It's about time refs ignored his behaviour other than to card him.

Sammyffc

Mitro is like this 80% of the time, nothing wrong with it, its part of the game

Mince n Tatties

One of the most overrated players ever in my book.

SP

Watching the Bees v Spurs highlights on MOTD & the blatant cheating is off the scale now. They need to start putting big fines on the clear cut dives, including our own players.

copthornemike

I would give Zaha a break, he is as important to Palace as Mitro is to us, and both wear their hearts on their respective sleeves.
Both are winners in clubs where winning is not always a given. If the rest of the Palace team had the attitude and ability of Zaha yesterday's win would have been significantly more difficult.
Anyway good it was good to see Mitro starting and causing havoc again.

alfie

Quote from: Sammyffc on December 27, 2022, 01:46:11 AM

Somehow I just don't think verbally abusing and shouting at the ref is part of the game, if I had a go at you the way he attacked the ref, you would be aiming punches at me.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Whitesideup

Quote from: alfie on December 27, 2022, 11:09:46 AM

Somehow I just don't think verbally abusing and shouting at the ref is part of the game, if I had a go at you the way he attacked the ref, you would be aiming punches at me.

Alfie - your comment is spot on.

FFC1987

Yeh agreed. I'd like to see more protection given to refs really. There's no need for that level of abuse or any for that matter.

cookieg

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 27, 2022, 12:57:50 PM

Yeh agreed. I'd like to see more protection given to refs really. There's no need for that level of abuse or any for that matter.

Things won't change until refs start giving out yellows for the abuse they get. It will soon stop when the threat of a second yellow could see a player sent off.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: copthornemike on December 27, 2022, 10:40:48 AM
I would give Zaha a break, he is as important to Palace as Mitro is to us, and both wear their hearts on their respective sleeves.
Both are winners in clubs where winning is not always a given. If the rest of the Palace team had the attitude and ability of Zaha yesterday's win would have been significantly more difficult.
Anyway good it was good to see Mitro starting and causing havoc again.

Same. I mean he did cross a line yesterday and I think refs do need to do something about this but that is a man who always gives 100%, I would have him at our club absolutely any day of the week.

graham

I think that is where rugby is different from football, and I like it.
Any player, apart from the captain, is not allowed to talk to the ref, and any insolence is immediately punished by a ten-yard penalty. Also a player yellow-carded is sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes, affecting the game in progress, which seems more appropriate to me.
There is generally much better communication from the ref in games where he is miked-up, and all decisions are explained with assistance from videos on the big screen.

Palhinha Colada

Poor man was in Diop's pocket for two hours. Probably was uncomfortable.

Benny

He was just upset that we cut off all supply to him which made him just as useless as the rest of his team probably hurt

The guy has a massive head and does sulk, but tbf he has carried that palace team for a number seasons now and they would be in the championship if he'd left a while back

Rupert

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 27, 2022, 12:57:50 PM

Referees do not need to be protected. They have all the ammunition they need to protect themselves. When I was in the Referees Association we used to get one or two Premier League and National League referees come and talk to our branch meetings every season, and they were occasionally asked to account for their lenient behaviour towards abuse, mostly because we would face similar on the Sunday morning after the clowns we were refereeing had seen their heroes get away with it on Match of the Day, and the anguish they expressed when I unaccountably booked them for what I saw as unacceptable behaviour.
The response was pretty universal. Referees build up a relationship with the players. They learn who they are and how they operate. They are ready for the likes of Zaha or Mitro throwing dummies out when things go against them. They have a limit of what they are willing to take, and when players step over that limit the cards flash.
They do not get it right all the time, of course, though the view fans have of a ref does vary by the result and how expected or unexpected it was, but by and large they do a reasonable job of keeping everyone on the pitch (not yesterday, of course) to keep the games entertaining. I was proud of flashing the cards as rarely as I could (not my job to make the local FA money from the fines they issued), but when I needed to caution or dismiss, I did. You will find it is the same at the top, most of the time.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

perry geyton

filham

Quote from: perry geyton on December 27, 2022, 04:55:14 PM
Can't stand Zaha
Forever  the victim

Zaha never got a look in with his footballing skills in that game, all that was left for him was to play the victim.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: graham on December 27, 2022, 02:29:54 PM
I think that is where rugby is different from football, and I like it.
Any player, apart from the captain, is not allowed to talk to the ref, and any insolence is immediately punished by a ten-yard penalty. Also a player yellow-carded is sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes, affecting the game in progress, which seems more appropriate to me.
There is generally much better communication from the ref in games where he is miked-up, and all decisions are explained with assistance from videos on the big screen.
Do you remember not that many years ago when the 10 yard rule was introduced in football at the beginning of the season? It lasted only a matter of weeks. I'm not aware it was actually removed but it certainly wasn't effective or properly applied.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.