watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

TODAYS GAME - The FoF Post Match reaction Fulham v Saints

Started by perry geyton, December 31, 2022, 03:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demeant0r

Really sloppy game but 3 points all the same. No more Dan James please. I don't get why Wilson wasn't the one to replace BDR.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: demeant0r on December 31, 2022, 05:11:03 PM
Really sloppy game but 3 points all the same. No more Dan James please. I don't get why Wilson wasn't the one to replace BDR.

Maybe injury? James' one talent is his super speed, and his super speed gave us the penalty. Shame about Mitro's inability to take penalties it seems.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

demeant0r

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on December 31, 2022, 05:14:42 PM
Quote from: demeant0r on December 31, 2022, 05:11:03 PM

Maybe injury? James' one talent is his super speed, and his super speed gave us the penalty. Shame about Mitro's inability to take penalties it seems.

That's literally all he provides though. His crossing hasn't been great and his ball control seems sub-par too.

bill taylors apprentice

Makes a change to win 3 points in a game like today's.

Some players not quite at it today and others were exceptional and we just about deserved the win IMO.
It would be nice to see Pereira take the pens but unlikely.

Bobby DR's lack of pace lets him down in games like these where you need to escape the press.
Reed also seems to struggle in games where the opposition close you in numbers, he doesn't have the quality to find space on the ball like Tom and chases vainly and out of control when not in of possession.

But nobody can play the best every week and we found another way to win !

McBrideOfFrankenstein

I will absolutely take an ugly win. We kept pressing the entire game and Saints couldn't get out of their half for a while there, which led to the winning corner. We had just enough grit to see it through. FWIW I'm not as low on James as some, he still has match winning ability between his poor moments.

Chi_FFC

Mitro shouldn't be our penalty taker full stop.  Early, late or otherwise. 

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on December 31, 2022, 05:24:16 PM
I will absolutely take an ugly win. We kept pressing the entire game and Saints couldn't get out of their half for a while there, which led to the winning corner. We had just enough grit to see it through. FWIW I'm not as low on James as some, he still has match winning ability between his poor moments.

I don't mind James (or anyone else) losing the ball while trying to attack but he loses it too often unnecessarily in areas that puts us under immense pressure as his team mates are often exposed because of his errors.

Palhinha Colada

Didn't deserve to win but it levels out the Manchester matches in terms of points "deserved." Nice to steal one, with two more goals from corners.

I thought Southampton looked like us on our better days, but with less attacking quality to convert their pressing into chances and goals. We never got our passing game/tempo going, but I think they deserve credit for that.

I'd like to see Andreas given responsibility for penalties.

Twig

Agree with most other comments. I'd add that I would like to see TC brought on earlier and given more time to impact matches. I get that Silve no longer sees him as a 90 mins man but every time he comes on he impresses.

Hugh Gentry

Willian gives the ball away about once every 3 months, Dan James, 5 times in 3 minutes!! The scrappiest game so far this season, not a great watch, stewards in H5 a pain in the arse.....but it's 3 points.....our previous 3 seasons in the prem we probably lose that game.

WindyCity

Quote from: love4ffc on December 31, 2022, 04:59:20 PM
Personally think Fulham started out strong.  Got a bit lucky with the goal and the deflection.  I really thought it was there for the taking but sadly Fulham let the Saints climb back into the game.  Was not impressed with Dan James at all.  Got messages from mates at the game and they thought he was even worse than they originally thought.  Even though he has speed and was able to get the penalty I still think it's time to send him back and bring someone else in.  Thank God for Palhinha and his fighting desire.  Great positioning and header for that winning goal.  It's really nice to be in 7th going into the New Year sitting above Chelsea.  Let's hope for a good January window and for Fulham to keep marching on.   049:gif :Happy New Year:  049:gif

Slight disagreement with you.  I thought FFC was flat from the start of the game, and actually was flat for the entire game.  Way too many poor passes, easy giveaways, etc.  But, good teams can still win games even when 'off'.  And that's what happened tonite.  Thank goodness for Palhinha and his well placed header/goal!  Terrific win, terrific finish!

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Well done Marco & the lads. Swerved a potential Bana skin today. No easy matched in the Premiership whatever some might say. Some Karma for 3 x 2 -1 defeats with us conceding very late goals. Seems the days of 90 minute + 2 extra time matches are long gone. You have to play for 96 / 98 minutes now.

Onwards & upwards to Leicester!

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Rambler

I didn't think we played well today. Lost pretty much all of the second balls and our passing and ball control was woeful. Credit to Southampton who pressed us really well.
And as others have said maybe we deserved a bit of fortune with the late defeats to the Manchester clubs.

Dan James though lost every ball - either passing it to an opposition or being tackled. His confidence must be shot to pieces but he really isn't offering anything to the team. I'd send him back if we can.
And mitro shouldn't take pens but we all know that.

Lots of character from the team. Really pleased to have one ugly and when not on form. Another 3 points to safety!!

Milo

Thought overall poor performance. What was striking was the complete lack of movement upfront.

Tete was MOTM for me as was very, very good. Palinha a close second. In defence we were very good across the entire back four actually.

Southampton deserved to lose. They worked hard, closed us down at every opportunity, and were well organised.. However their play acting and time wasting was horrendous.

I wasn't in the least bit surprised by James's poor performance as a substitute. He has shown little promise since coming and had an equally poor World Cup. I hope he turns things around, I really do. I did feel it was a poor substitution at the time - is Wilson injured or not fully fit?

Fulham_chris

Great win and end to a brilliant year.
Far from our best today and we were very sloppy but the last 10/15 we sensed they were sitting back more and more and did turn up the pace, Marco has installed a great never give up attitude , palhinha brilliant and cairney did very well when bought on especially them last 15 mins coyw

Cobh Fulham Fan

probably the worse game we played this season. says something when we still ground out a win from that. dont think we can rely on that sort of luck going forward.

Imagine if we didnt get that second goal and instead were relying on Mitros penalty to stay in the game?

Carborundum

Horrible conditions, disjointed football, some off-key performances, it had all the ingredients for a "why do I do this to myself?" afternoon.....and yet.  Live football at the Cottage is back.  The Bovril's still scaldingly hot, the stirrers all AWOL, the tannoy impossible to hear, the half-time "entertainment" completely inane, but that's all fine.  Real action, no camera director deciding where I look, personal battles being played out for my entertainment. 

We got three points.  Not sure we would have got them against any other Premier League team, but I had a great time. Marco Silva got the subs broadly right, even Dan James eventually made something positive happen. 

Black, White and Fred

Good to win ugly. TC made all the difference and really needs to play in games where the opposition will just sit and let us have the ball. This team is designed to break and counter.

Also I have had enough of Dan James, must train well because he doesn't offer much in the pitch.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Karlos

Worst game of the season so far but still git the win which is what counts the most.

Agree that in these type of games Reed and Reid lack the quality but it's hard to knock them as in most of our games their work rate more than makes up for this and I'd rather have them than 2 luxury players who don't work as hard.

Would definitely stick with them both for the Leicester and Chelsea games

Hope Dan James coming on instead of Wilson is a fitness issue. James was someone who I thought Would be great for us but the opinions of him seem true, fast but not much else.  Hopefully we can get Wilson fit and preforming back to his best soon.