more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who remembers

Started by Peabody, January 08, 2023, 06:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

When we played Sunderland at Roker Park
They were Div 1 and we were lower, so expected to be beaten but we won 4-1. Two Irish players, Ivan Murray and Brendan Mullen debuted and Brendan scored 2.

HillingdonFFC

Before me time but remember going up there in 1988 for a weather threatened midweek game. Never ever been so cold in my life

Woolly Mammoth

A glorious victory on the day at the time but unfortunately a one off as they both quickly ended up in the reserves never to be seen or heard of again.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Alec of good Stock

A couple of years later at Roker Park another of our Irish players made the headlines when Jimmy Dunne dropped his shorts, we lost 2-1.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Alec of good Stock on January 08, 2023, 07:47:12 PM
A couple of years later at Roker Park another of our Irish players made the headlines when Jimmy Dunne dropped his shorts, we lost 2-1.

Ha Ha! Good old JD. He took so much flack from the Sunderland supporters, was booked I think & then waggled his crown jewels & ar##e @ the home crowd. I think Mullers actually punched him on one occasion, not sure if it was that match though!

Dodgin

I recall two two Irish players arriving, I think together. What sticks in my mind in associated with them the question of could a player wear glasses on the pitch. It may have been 1st of April though,

bog

I remember  it well Peabody. I also recall Brendan was interviewed on TV on the Sunday Big Match. We lost 1-2 to WBA in the next round after playing them off the park, this Barry Davies mentioned in the BBC commentary. 54 years ago....

092.gif 

b+w geezer

Yes, I was there in Jan '69. One and only taste of Roker Park, as well as of Brendan Mullen. We were knocked out next round and relegated for the second successive time, so this was the only highlight of the season. I don't recall what possessed us to make such an obviously daft trip, or much about the game, beyond the general sense of pleasure. Pretty sure I retain the programme somewhere. Must dig it out.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on January 08, 2023, 08:16:50 PM

Ha Ha! Good old JD. He took so much flack from the Sunderland supporters, was booked I think & then waggled his crown jewels & ar##e @ the home crowd. I think Mullers actually punched him on one occasion, not sure if it was that match though!

The game you are thinking of when Mullers gave  Jimmy Dunne a knuckle sandwich was in the 70s at the Cottage v Brighton and Hove Albion.
I had a good view of it as i was sitting on the Cottage that game.
We beat Brighton 5 0 or 5 1 that day, John Mitchell had just scored at the Hammersmith End and all Fulham players ran to him to congratulate except for Mullery and Dunne who were swopping punches on the halfway line.

Why were they i am not certain but a third party told me later that Dunne disobeyed Mullers instructions to stay back on a number of occasions which were ignored, and Alan Mullery was not the sort of Captain you ignore or argue with as he will settle it his way which was a bunch of fives.
It was a strange site as we had just scored with everyone celebrating except for the pair of them
swopping punches.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Grumpy Old Fart

I well remember the 1969 game at Roker Park. There I was, taking time  out from my arduous duties on board the passenger liner ORCADES, bronzing on the fo'c'sle deck and tuned in on the BBC World Service. The sticky heat alleviated by the gentle sea breeze. For some reason Sunderland v Fulham was the chosen match and I gathered it was cold in Sunderland! Just a bizarre experience all round. If I remember Haynes had an exceptional match. And we won! Ah, memories......

Fernhurst

Quote from: Peabody on January 08, 2023, 06:52:13 PM
When we played Sunderland at Roker Park
They were Div 1 and we were lower, so expected to be beaten but we won 4-1. Two Irish players, Ivan Murray and Brendan Mullen debuted and Brendan scored 2.

I remember it MR P. Totally embarrassed by Mullins interview with Jimmy Hill on MOTD.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

ruislip ray

We went behind early doors then pummeled then, we wore sunderlands sky blue kit,short sleeved v necks, remember leaving craven cottage at midnight,great memories.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 09, 2023, 12:28:14 AM
Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on January 08, 2023, 08:16:50 PM

The game you are thinking of when Mullers gave  Jimmy Dunne a knuckle sandwich was in the 70s at the Cottage v Brighton and Hove Albion.
I had a good view of it as i was sitting on the Cottage that game.
We beat Brighton 5 0 or 5 1 that day, John Mitchell had just scored at the Hammersmith End and all Fulham players ran to him to congratulate except for Mullery and Dunne who were swopping punches on the halfway line.

Why were they i am not certain but a third party told me later that Dunne disobeyed Mullers instructions to stay back on a number of occasions which were ignored, and Alan Mullery was not the sort of Captain you ignore or argue with as he will settle it his way which was a bunch of fives.
It was a strange site as we had just scored with everyone celebrating except for the pair of them
swopping punches.

Ah, cheers for the confirmation Woolly.
No one argued with Mullers, one (if not the best) of our penalty takers.
Always remember his superb half volley goal from Barry Lloyd's cross against Leicester in the F A Cup. Dad, bless him had gone to the loo & missed seeing it! Goal of the season I think. 

Woodlawn

I loved Bobby Robson comment about Mullen, he said that on the training ground he could dribble the ball brilliantly around the dustbins that they used to have Robson then said the trouble is the are no bins on the pitch on Saturdays.