watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Relegation Odds

Started by davew, January 13, 2023, 01:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

We are now 475/1 to go down, Chelsea are 250/1 to go down, never thought I would see that in my lifetime (71 years)!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

General

Have we really never been better than Chelsea at any point? I'm sure we've existed longer than them as a club (didn't we have first refusal for what is now Stamford Bridge?).. I appreciate it's been a long time, but we've been on par with Chelsea a few times under Al Fayed, even if they did better than us. I remember they had a resurgence under Ken Bates with Vialli, Guillit, Di Matteo, Frank Sinclair, Zola, Dennis Wise and Tore Andre Flo but weren't they a bit off the pace before then? (I appreciate at that period we were particularly at a low ebb).

bencher

Quote from: General on January 13, 2023, 01:36:28 PM
Have we really never been better than Chelsea at any point? I'm sure we've existed longer than them as a club (didn't we have first refusal for what is now Stamford Bridge?).. I appreciate it's been a long time, but we've been on par with Chelsea a few times under Al Fayed, even if they did better than us. I remember they had a resurgence under Ken Bates with Vialli, Guillit, Di Matteo, Frank Sinclair, Zola, Dennis Wise and Tore Andre Flo but weren't they a bit off the pace before then? (I appreciate at that period we were particularly at a low ebb).

If memory serves, as we improved in the late 1990s and early noughties under Al Fayed, so did they under Bates/Harding and then Roman A, so we were always kept a behind them even when doing well by our standards. I can't comment on earlier eras of e.g. the 60 or 70s.

Rupert

There was at least one season in the 80s when we finished above them. It might have been the infamous 1982-3 season when the Derby pitch invasion scuppered our chances of getting promoted.

When we finished 7th under Roy I did look it up, and we have finished higher than every other team at least once in our respective histories, sadly we have never finished higher than all of them at the same time. Yet.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

davew

Quote from: Rupert on January 13, 2023, 01:48:23 PM
There was at least one season in the 80s when we finished above them. It might have been the infamous 1982-3 season when the Derby pitch invasion scuppered our chances of getting promoted.

When we finished 7th under Roy I did look it up, and we have finished higher than every other team at least once in our respective histories, sadly we have never finished higher than all of them at the same time. Yet.
LOL, maybe next season!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Marcus

Quote from: Rupert on January 13, 2023, 01:48:23 PM

yep, we drew both matches too... if we had won either, we would have gone up, they were rubbish, even looked like they may drop at one stage... the rugby league team messed it up a bit, curtailed our free flowing football. On a good pitch we would have thumped them at the Cottage, instead it was a bit of a mudbath which kind of levelled things up.

S.F.Sorrow

Even a pessimist like myself can't see us being relegated now. Beating the scum was the highlight of an amazing season so far. Getting their new striker (who they've paid a hefty loan fee for) sent off and suspended was the icing on the cake for me. Well done Kenny, LOL!!!! I'm so happy today!!! 049:gif

Sgt Fulham

Our relegation odds are such that I will be cheering on Bournemouth against Brentford when they play tomorrow. How nice it is to not have to worry about relegation this early on. Park those fears for next year and pray that we can see off the vultures that would want to destroy this incredible group of players and coaching staff.