watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (11.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 11, 2011, 07:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3341644/Fulham-in-4m-SWP-swoop.html

Fulham in £4m SWP swoop

Published: Today

Add a comment (8)

FULHAM want to sign Manchester City star Shaun Wright-Phillips in a £4million deal.

Craven Cottage boss Mark Hughes signed the England man from Chelsea when he was Eastlands boss in 2008 and is keen to work with the winger again.

Fulham can afford the small transfer fee but SWP would need to take a drop in wages as the Londoners would not be able to offer anywhere near his current £60,000-a-week wages.

Yet the player is keen to end his second spell at the City and is desperate for more first-team football.

City are looking to offload some of their fringe players during this month's transfer window and Wright-Phillips, 29, is one of them.

Sparky is also keeping a close eye on another of his former players, Blackburn's David Dunn.

He has 18 months left on his contract and has finally put his injury woes behind him with a string of impressive performances.

That has not gone unnoticed by former Rovers boss Hughes and also Newcastle, who are considering a raid for the £2m-rated midfielder.

It is the second time Toon have shown an interest in Dunn after the late Bobby Robson tried to sign him.

White Noise

Winning Intentions

Monday 10th January 2011

The Whites underlined their FA Cup intentions on Saturday with a comprehensive 6-2 victory over Peterborough United at Craven Cottage. Mark Hughes, who had made clear his admiration for the FA Cup as a competition prior to Saturday's encounter, elected to field a full-strength side.

And his side certainly didn't let him down, creating a number of goal scoring opportunities en route to a Fourth Round home tie against Tottenham.

"I said prior to the game that I think Cup runs help your league form anyway, I've always had that opinion," Hughes explained after the game. "Invariably if you look back on the teams I've been involved with before, I've always played strong sides.

"I thought it was important for the continuity of the team in terms of performance. We try to accentuate the positives; we're on a decent run of form. It was important just to have another positive performance and align that with a win.

"We've got ability in the side and if you get a fair crack of the whip you can find yourself in the latter stages [of the FA cup] and then it's up for grabs. We haven't got any other distractions; there aren't that many other competitions. We're still in this competition and we'll see how far we go."

Having already secured the signature of midfielder Steve Sidwell, Hughes is keen to further add to the quality he already possesses in the squad.

"I've got a great group – I've been saying that for a long time," the Manager said. "They want to do well, progress and get to the next level and that's part of my remit. I think since the West Ham game, where we didn't play particularly poorly but we just had a poor result, we've really dug in and have shown good qualities. We're really looking forward to what's ahead of us.

"I think it's important that you stimulate the group, you can't just rest on your laurels. The same group of players have had a couple of great years without that many changes - but it's important that you keep adding quality."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/HughesWinningIntentions.aspx#ixzz1AhzKJkyh

White Noise

Fulham v Stoke City tickets

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 22nd January

Kick-Off 15:00

Following Fulham's emphatic FA Cup victory over Peterborough United at Craven Cottage, Mark Hughes' side will be full of confidence when Stoke City visit on Saturday 22nd January (Kick-Off 3pm).

Just weeks after Chris Baird's brace secured three valuable away points at the Britannia Stadium, the Whites have an early opportunity to do the double over their Barclays Premier League rivals.

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders  On sale (unlimited)
Fulham Club Members On sale (unlimited)
General Sale On sale (maximum 4 tickets)
Loyalty points: 3 (more info)| 

Family Package   
Purchase your own Family Package for this fixture. A Family Package includes two adult tickets and two junior tickets and costs just £70  (normally worth £100).

To book a Family Package please call 0843 208 1234 (select option 3) and quote 'FAMILY PACK'. Additional junior tickets can be purchased for just £15 B/10 C for the fixture.

Please note these Family Packs can only be bought in certain areas of the stadium and are subject to availability. These areas are: Johnny Haynes Stand (Blocks A, AL) and the Putney (neutral area only) & Hammersmith Stands. †

Group Tickets
Fans can also watch this fixture for as little as £28 when buying group tickets. So, why not get some friends, family or colleagues together for the game and introduce a few new fans to Fulham?

A 20% discount will be offered on bookings of 10 or more tickets. These discounts apply to full view adult tickets in the Putney End only and are subject to availability.

These tickets can only be bought over the phone and you must quote 'GROUP DISCOUNTS' when booking. Call 0843 208 1234 (option 3) (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) to book now or make a booking request online|. †

My First Matchday
Make sure you book your My First Matchday package to see what really goes on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage in the build-up to matchday.

Pretend you're a radio commentator in the press box, run down the players' tunnel imagining 25,000 fans welcoming you onto the pitch, pretend you're directing players from the Manager's seat in the dugout, enjoy the best seat in the house by sitting in the Chairman's seat, interview your parent or guardian in front of the TV interview boards, see our trophy cabinet and meet a Fulham FC legend! 

The cost of this fantastic experience is just £80, which will include a match ticket for both the Junior (under 12) and accompanying Adult. Additional tickets can also be bought for this game, subject to availability

To book your place for any of the below fixtures, call 0870 442 1234 (option 3) today! Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment.

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 020 7384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange * Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

† Special offers and packages only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Stand (Grade B)   Block   Adult   Conc   Junior 
Riverside   S, Z   £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   D, DL, G, GL   £42   £28   £15 
Hammersmith / Putney   All Blocks   £35   £25   £15 
J Haynes   B, BL, C, CL J, JL, H, HL    £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   A, K, AL, KL   £30   £20   £10 

Junior - under 16
Consessions: Young Person - under 21
Concessions: Senior - over 65
Disabled Supporters: 50% discount - conditions apply

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/StokeHome.aspx#ixzz1AhzcVtwa

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3276/serie-a/2011/01/10/2298780/edinson-cavani-eager-to-stay-with-napoli-who-are-in-hunt-for

Edinson Cavani eager to stay with Napoli, who are in hunt for Everton & Fulham target Ivan Perisic

Agent says that World Cup star will not be leaving Italy

By Stefan Coerts

10 Jan 2011 16:52:00

Highly rated youngster Ivan Perisic could be on his way out of Belgian side Club Brugge as Serie A team Napoli have shown an interest in signing the attacker, if a report in Il Sussidiario is to be believed.

Napoli are eager to add some more depth to their front line in the January transfer window and head coach Walter Mazzarri supposedly considers the 21-year-old Perisic to be the perfect addition to his ranks.

But not heading away from Serie A is Edinson Cavani, whose agent told Goal.com that his client will be staying put.

Claudio Anellucci exclusively revealed that the Uruguay international is eager to stay with Napoli for several more years.

"There haven't been any offers from abroad. That's just speculation from the press. Cavani is feeling very well at Napoli and is eager to stay put. When the time is right, we will open contract talks with the club to discuss a possible contract extension," said Anellucci to Goal.com.

Meanwhile, versatile attacker Perisic – who came through the ranks of the Hajduk Split youth academy and also wore the jerseys of Sochaux and Roeselare before signing for Club Brugge in the summer of 2009 – could be making the move to Italy.

Napoli face stiff competition from clubs such as Everton and Fulham in the race for the attacker's services though. Perisic's current contract with Brugge runs until the summer of 2015, meaning that he won't be available on the cheap

White Noise

http://www.footymad.net/storytext.asp?article=3559885

Hughes makes case for new signings

Mark Hughes insists Fulham need new signings in the January transfer window to avoid going stale.

Manager Hughes made Steve Sidwell his first purchase of the month in Steve Sidwell last week and plans to add at least another striker before the window closes.

He said: "I think it's important you stimulate the group. You can't rest on your laurels.

"They've had a couple of great years with the same group of players and not that many changes.

"It's important you keep adding quality and that stimulates the group and that's a good thing."

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/diego-maradona-linked-with-blackburn-and-fulham-amid-firm-offer-2180637.html

Diego Maradona linked with Blackburn and Fulham amid 'firm offer'

Reuters

Monday, 10 January 2011

Fulham are apparently the club in question

Diego Maradona has claimed he will hold talks with an English club next month over becoming their manager.

The Argentina legend, who stepped down as boss of his country, has already had discussions with Blackburn and his revelation will doubtless lead to speculation it is Rovers he plans to see.

"In February, I am going to England to listen to a firm offer," Maradona was quoted as saying at a press conference by La Nacion.

"If they convince me, I may take it up.

"I am not desperate, I know that someday I will coach another team."

Blackburn have been without a permanent manager since sacking Sam Allardyce last month and have placed Steve Kean in charge until the end of the season.

Owners Venky's, who bought Rovers in November, admitted their interest in Maradona shortly after dismissing Allardyce.

Chairwoman Anuradha Desai said at the time: "We thought about Maradona as a coach after we took over.

"Talks were at the initial stage then, but there is no development on that front yet.

"For now, the current coach will be the manager until the end of the season.

"There is no question of signing anyone for such a short time."

Maradona was also in London in November to watch Fulham's Barclays Premier League match against Manchester City.

The 50-year-old left his job as manager of Argentina following their 4-0 World Cup thrashing by Germany.

White Noise

http://www.bournelocal.co.uk/sport/football/fa_cup_zakuani_enjoys_his_return_to_the_cottage_1_2285901

FA Cup: Zakuani enjoys his return to the Cottage

Posh v Fulham at Craven Cottage in the third round of the FA Cup, Posh lose 6-2: Zakuani blocks a shot. Picture: Ben Davis/Peterborough ET

By Alan Swann

Published on Mon Jan 10 15:05:49 GMT 2011

FORMER Fulham centre-back Gaby Zakuani reckoned the outcome of Saturday's FA Cup tie would have been different if Posh had taken advantage of their early dominance.

Fulham keeper David Stockdale saved well from Arron Davies and Craig Mackail-Smith in the early stages at Craven Cottage before the Premier League side powered away to win 6-2.

But Posh were generally the better side until Diomansy Kamara scored the first of his hat-trick just past the half-hour mark.

Zakuani said: "Against these teams you have to score when you are on top and we were the better side in the opening stages.

"An early goal would have made the game very interesting, but once they got in front they made it very hard for us.

"Their pace and movement didn't surprise me at all, but I felt I played okay personally.

"Fulham were quite ruthless in front of goal which was a big difference.

"They stretched us quite a bit so we were all having to cover a lot of ground at the back.

"It was nice to come back and play here though. I knew a few of their lads from my time here, especially Clint Dempsey who I flattened early on!"

Posh manager Gary Johnson reckoned Fulham's forward firepower and clinical finishing were the major differences between the sides.

Johnson said: "We know where our problems are as a side and Fulham exposed us quite ruthlessly at times.

"They have plenty of power and pace and were always likely to hurt us, but we wanted to make sure we had a go back at them which we did.

"They kept putting us on the floor, but credit to the lads for getting back up every time.

"In the end the sheer pace and power they had up front was too much for us.

"We defended well against them at set-pieces, but in open play it was different matter."

White Noise

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/fulham_viewpoint_davies_we_weren_t_surprised_by_posh_attacking_capability_1_2285892

Fulham viewpoint: Davies: We weren't surprised by Posh attacking capability

Published on Mon Jan 10 15:02:20 GMT 2011

SIMON Davies insisted Fulham were not surprised by the quality of the Posh attacking play in Saturday's third round FA Cup tie at Craven Cottage.

The ex-Posh star, who was given a thunderous reception by the 5,000 visiting supporters, also reckoned he did his bit for his old club's cause by missing a few first-half chances before limping out of the match at the interval!

Davies said: "We watched a bit of action from Posh games and they looked good going forward so we weren't surprised that they created chances.

"The first goal was always going to be crucial and we settled down a bit once we scored it. It was a convincing win in the end, but Posh certainly didn't disgrace themselves.

"The Posh fans were very generous to me and I did my bit for them as I missed every chance that came my way!"

Fulham manager Mark Hughes praised his side's professionalism once they had overcome a tricky beginning.

Hughes said: "We were caught cold at the start and Peterborough must have had half-a-dozen corners in the opening five minutes.

"Our goalkeeper made two fine saves when it was 0-0, but we were worthy winners in the end.

"I fielded my strongest team because we want to go far in this competition and I didn't want us to be on the wrong end of an upset.

"Historically there are always a couple of shocks, but we were very professional in the way we went about our work."

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/the-obligatory-roy-hodgson-post/

The obligatory Roy Hodgson post

Filed under: General — rich @ 2:54 pm

Roy Hodgson probably felt he couldn't turn the Liverpool job down.  If his success at Fulham brought him the respect in England he had long craved, success at Liverpool would finally establish his credentials as one of the game's top managers.   He couldn't say no.

Have you ever gone into the cubicle at work and found that someone before you has left an almighty stench?   You need to go, and in time your nose deadens the stench, but when you leave the cubicle someone – perhaps a senior director – is waiting to go in, and when they go in they smell it too and assume it was you.    In their eyes you will always be the person who made the almighty stench.    You weren't – it was like that before you got there – but this is not how your successor will view things.

So it was, to an extent, with Hodgson.  I've talked to some very clued up Liverpool fans about the situation and they have just about persuaded me that Hodgson was the wrong man for the job, but it is still my belief that the club was in a terrible way before he arrived, and that success was always (in retrospect) unlikely.    Rafa Benitez was a top manager, but I'm starting to come round to the view that his best side was built on Mascherano, Alonso and Hyppia, as well as Torres, Reina and Gerrard.    Hodgson had a disinterested/knackered/injured Torres, a strangely vulnerable Reina (how different might things have been without Reina's mistake against Arsenal?) and a Gerrard who, try as he might, can't always do it alone.

He had to supplement this core with bit parts, ordinary players that he had to improve upon as quickly as he could.  Joe Cole seemed like a good idea but now his lack of action at Chelsea has been explained.   Mereiles looks to have been a shrewd pickup, but Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulson have been poor performers (in a short period of time Hodgson saw he would need a left-back and a holding midfielder:  he knew these two players very well and thought they'd make good stop-gaps.)

He should have had a half-decent side.  I always thought that Fulham, with a Gerrard type up top, could have been contenders.  We were so tight at the back, surely adding that bit of class up front would make us very hard to stop?   So Liverpool, with better players all over the pitch, ought to have been okay.  Didn't happen.  He was saddled with £18m England right back Glen Johnson, a player about as far from the Hodgson ideal as you might get, and tried to make Krygiakos and Skrtl into a new Hangeland and Hughes (which didn't really work).   With no Zamora to act as a focal point and no Danny Murphy to run the game from the middle, his teams looked thoroughly ragged, to the point where they were messy in defence and messier in attack.   The disappointment for Hodgson will be that in time much of this could have been resolved (it took a while for his system to 'kick in' at Fulham, after all).

But it would never have been enough.  Liverpool's fans didn't take to him, and seemed to take exception almost every time he opened his mouth to the media.  This too was unusual – at Fulham he was admirable in front of the cameras – but as Dave Kidd of The People pointed out in a recent TOOFIF, once the Great Escape had been pulled off he was hardly asked a difficult question.  At Anfield things were different.   Here he was talking up his previous achievements while his new team struggled, and fans took the view that Hodgson was interested in Hodgson first and Liverpool second.   I find this sort of accusation confusing in that it's presumably the way 99.9% of managers view their jobs.   Under this kind of pressure, this kind of criticism, why wouldn't Hodgson defend himself with the best tools available to him (his previous achievements; his recent award)?    But this was taken as a negative as well.    Hodgson didn't 'get' the supporters.

What is there to 'get' about supporters anyway?   It has been suggested that Hodgson didn't thank Fulham fans enough when he left, and while this is perhaps the case, I suspect that Hodgson honestly felt Fulham's achievements were down to his and the players' hard work, and that the fans were all well and good but a distant third in this hierarchy.    In this he's almost certainly correct (I appreciate that fans are vital in bringing money to the club, but at the stadium?  Presumably park teams and reserve teams, playing in front of one man and his dog, are still able to make stirring comebacks every so often?), but as we all find out as we move through life, certain concessions need to be made along the way.  All politicians must become adept at managing their reputation, and this will mean spending time with people you don't really like, people you actively dislike, always saying "the right thing" in the name of reputation.   It's true in the workplace to a lesser extent as well.   We must all work with 'stakeholders' (customers, suppliers, and so on) and talk bland nonsense in the name of affability.  It's how the world works.    When Hodgson said "I haven't seen much of the famous Anfield support" he was speaking the truth as he saw it (and he's right: their support is pretty ordinary), but this was of course a terrible mistake.    He might very reasonably have felt that the fans didn't understand him or the game of football, but he needed to better appreciate where the power lay in the relationship and communicate accordingly (but even then, the press will only highlight what it wants to highlight).

So why didn't it work out?  I think Mark Lawrenson suggested that Hodgson was the wrong manager at the wrong time, and surely there's something to that.  Hodgson's a good football manager but perhaps not a good enough manager, and certainly not for these particular circumstances.   Tim Sherwood, who fell out with Hodgson at Blackburn and arguably caused a good thing to go pear-shaped in so doing, said that Hodgson was the best coach he'd worked with, but not the best manager.   It seems to me that a modern football manager, particularly one at a big club, needs all kinds of non-coaching skills to get by, particularly if he hasn't won anything (at that club).  While I believe the results on the pitch would have improved in time (although possibly not to the point where they became acceptable to success hungry supporters), I'm not sure that everything else would have sorted itself out.   Hodgson, one way or another, was perfect for Fulham, but just as many fine but unphotogenic singers end up doing backing vocals for the likes of Danii Minogue (and even if they did get a record deal, they probably wouldn't sell anything because the public would rather buy crap from a face they like than something worthwhile from a face they don't), so too do many good coaches not get the chances they might feel they deserve.  Hodgson, after 35 years, got his chance and – to stretch an already weak metaphor to breaking point – ended up singing like Danii Minogue anyway.

Where was I?  The big job: he couldn't say no, but he should have.

White Noise

http://www.tottenhamblog.com/2011/01/10/fulham-fa-cup-draw-tough-but-winnable/

Fulham FA Cup draw tough but winnable

by Matthew Harris on January 10, 2011

Spurs have drawn familiar opponents as the FA Cup 4th round will see them travel to West London to take on Fulham.

The two sides met in the 6th round last season with Spurs needing a replay to progress after a goalless draw at Craven Cottage. After a 3-1 win back at White Hart Lane we moved on to the semi final and a result that we won't talk about. Let's hope this is a good omen and a chance to go at least one better this year.

Fulham continue to struggle under Mark Hughes and despite a rather unconvincing 1-0 win over his side at the Lane recently, Spurs must be confident of marching on to the 5th round. The punters at Betfair obviously agree, having made Tottenham the fifth favourites to win the competition, at odds of just over 8/1.

4th round ties will be played on the 29th and 30th of January.

White Noise

Posh defender makes Fulham admission

Jan 10 2011

By Jacob Murtagh

Gabriel Zakuani

FORMER Fulham defender Gabriel Zakuani admits Saturday's drubbing left him with egg on his face.

The Peterborough centre-half had vowed to 'go through the back' of pal Diomansy Kamara and also do a job on old team-mate Clint Dempsey in an interview with the Chronicle before the game.

Zakuani earned himself a booking for scything down Dempsey early on, but couldn't get close to Kamara as the Senegalese striker smashed his first hat-trick for the club in the 6-2 romp.

"I said I would kick one of them and I did," he said.

"Joe did well. His movement is different class and he was undefendable at times.

"Those goals will do him the world of good for his confidence to take into the rest of the season."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/10/posh-defender-makes-fulham-admission-82029-27959653/#ixzz1Ai3Hfk9Q

White Noise

Growing Stronger

Monday 10th January 2011

Following his FA Cup hat-trick last weekend, Diomansy Kamara believes Fulham will soon be climbing up the Barclays Premier League table and is clearly confident the Team can achieve a mid-table finish to the 2010/11 season.

"We've won our last few matches against Stoke, West Brom and Peterborough and I think our side can get better and better in the New Year.

"Nothing has changed but when you get a new manager you must give him time and understand what he wants. We know we have good quality and if we keep doing what we are doing now then we can finish in the middle of the table."

Kamara's stock has certainly risen following his goalscoring exploits at the Cottage last weekend and the striker is now hoping to prove his worth over the remainder of the current campaign.

"When you're a player and you're not playing you always get frustrated but whenever I get an opportunity I will try and score. If I'm not playing I don't blame the manager, I think, 'I need to work harder'. That is my philosophy and with Bobby, Mousa and AJ coming back we will be a stronger Team.

"I have a contract with Fulham until the end of the season and I will always go out and do my best and we'll see what happens over the next few months. It's not a problem for me at all.

"I was injured at the beginning of the season but I've played ten games now and scored five goals and I'm quite happy. I'm getting my opportunities and we've got a good manager and I'm happy at Fulham."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/KamaraCupReaction.aspx#ixzz1Ai4lY2kO

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3341834/Blackburn-in-frame-as-Diego-Maradona-says-Premier-League-club-wants-me.html

Maradona: Prem club wants me

Published: Today

Add a comment (16)

DIEGO MARADONA will hold talks next month about bossing an English club - and Blackburn could be favourites to land him.
The Argentina legend had discussions with Rovers after they sacked Sam Allardyce in December.

He said: "In February I am going to England to listen to a firm offer. If they convince me, I may take it up. I am not desperate. I know that some day I will coach another team."

New owners Venky's put first-team coach Steve Kean in charge until the end of the season after firing Allardyce.

But Venky's, who bought Rovers in November, admitted their interest in Maradona, 50.

Chairwoman Anuradha Desai said: "We thought about Maradona as a coach after we took over. Talks were at the initial stage then, but there is no development on that front yet."

Reports in Argentina suggest Maradona is off to Fulham, where he was a guest of owner Mohamed Fayed last November.

But a source at Craven Cottage insisted: "It's not us."

Blackburn believe Maradona would strengthen their bid to sign big-name South American players after failing to land Brazil's Ronaldinho last week.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/1/10/1925754/fulham-thrash-peterborough-tottenham-next-up?

Fulham thrash Peterborough, Tottenham next up

In what could have possibly been a slip up game for the Cottagers against a lower division foe, the team easily took care of business in their third round FA Cup tie. After pulling themselves out of the relagation zone against West Brom last week, Mark Hughes selected an unchanged side in the hopes of retaining their fine form. But the match did not start as the White would have liked, with Peterborough United starting the game just a shade brighter. The recently impressive David Stockdale was able to keep the underdogs at bay.

Fulham got on the board with a goal from Diomansy Kamara, the striker heading home a cross from the versatile Chris Baird. The Cottagers then went on the front foot and it looked a matter of time before they got a second. Surprisingly it was the normally defensive minded Dickson Etuhu who scored it, sending in a scorching shot off of a ball deflected out to him. Going into the half the tie looked all but locked up for Fulham.

The Cottagers came out in the second half just as they had finished the first, coming close a couple times before Kamara scored the third goal of the night. Finding himself one one one with the opposing keeper he managed a finish which had been lacking from the team much of the season. The Whites were flying high and Zoltan Gera, a second half substitute, made it four to nothing after heading home from short range. From there the teams exchanged two goals each, with Lee Tomlin scoring an impressive solo goal before Kamara netted his third of the match. It was his first hat-trick in his time with Fulham and hopefully will give him confidence to go forward the rest of the season. Grant McCann scored a second for Peterborough before substitute Jonathan Greening finished the scoring for the rampant Cottagers.

The match was not filled with much drama after Fulham scored but the fourth round looks to provide a much sterner test. The draw was unfavorable for the Whites as Tottenham will await them in their next FA Cup match. In the EPL, Fulham will take on Wigan Athletic next Saturday and hopefully can continue to move up the table.

One question for the upcoming fixture will be if recent signee Steve Sidwell will make his debut for the club. Just signed from Aston Villa, it is unknown if manager Mark Hughes will want to upset the squad's chemistry by putting in the newly arrived midfielder. But at the very least Sidwell will provide depth and experience for a team that will only want to look up the rest of the season.

WhiteJC

http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227819

Meet The Ref - Latics v Fulham - Anthony Taylor

The Wigan Athletic v Fulham game on Saturday at the DW Stadium will be refereed by Wythenshawe official Anthony Taylor, who is a brand new Premier League whistle blower having had his first ever top flight game on the 3rd February 2010 when he took charge of Fulham`s 1-0 win over Portsmouth at Craven Cottage.

Taylor subsequently followed that game up with Latics away at St. Andrews last February, when he controversial gave a penalty to Birmingham adjudging that Mario Melchiot had tripped Keith Fahey in the box when he was clearly a yard outside the box and Melchiot was clearly a yard away from Fahey, oh how we laughed.

The only other time Taylor has been in charge of a Latics game was the 1-0 win over West Brom back in November.

The happy go lucky referee was born and bred in Wythenshawe and the town is famous for amongst other things the setting of the nations favourite TV couch potato family sitcom The Royle Family, let`s hope by the end of the game there isn`t any more controversial incidents and we aren`t shouting the infamous Jim Royles favourite slogan `referee my arse`

Anthony Taylor recently gave an interview to refworld.com an excerpt of which is below:

How did you get introduced into refereeing?

Having played in local football the referees course was mentioned to me one day. It was pretty obvious that I wasn't going to play at any higher level so decided to give the course a go.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Actually being promoted onto the National List of referees was a very proud moment for me. It is difficult to single out a particular game as they are all enjoyable but also being awarded my FA three lions badge and representing the Football League at the Dallas Cup tournament were special moments.

What is the best game you have officiated and why?

I recently refereed the FA Cup replay, Chasetown v Port Vale. The whole night just showed that anything can really happen in football. It was the biggest game in Chasetown's history, sub zero temperatures, two missed penalties and a last minute winner for the underdogs contributed to a great atmosphere. Also any derby games you are involved in have special atmospheres. Games such as Preston v Burnley and West Brom v Wolves are great to be involved in.

What are your aims as a National List Referee?

To perform to a consistently high standard and officiate at the higher profile matches. Ultimately my aim is to referee on the Premier League and the international list, but that will take a lot of hard work and time.

What skills do you think you need to become a referee?

The biggest part of being a referee is being able to deal with people in a whole array of situations. Being calm and being able to manage whatever situation is presented to you effectively is crucial. Also you obviously also need to be able to deal with comments and 'advice' offered to you at grounds, and ensure that it does not effect you.

Who has been the biggest influence in your career and why?

As my career has developed I have realised how important it is to learn from your mistakes and make adjustments to your game to ensure you do not make similar mistakes in the future. Also picking up best practice from my more experienced colleagues helps me develop, but I think as individual referees we all need our own personality to help us control a game of football.

In your opinion who is/was the best referee?

Names such as Joe Worrall and George Courtney spring to mind, as well as Pierluigi Collina and Markus Merk from the continent. Currently in this country we have many excellent referees both on the Premier and Football Leagues, so it is very difficult to single one individual out.

Anthony Taylor Card Watch 2010/11

The card happy ref has a reputation for flashing the yellows and reds as is borne out this season:

Games - 19, Yellows - 67, Reds - 10

Here`s hoping for a restrained game from Mr Taylor

Read more: http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227819#ixzz1AiKacJTv

WhiteJC

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14320_6649758,00.html?

KG`s agent slams Cottagers

Fulham's decision to activate a clause in Kagisho Dikgacoi's contract to extend his stay at Craven Cottage for another 12 months has been heavily criticised by the Bafana Bafana midfielder's agent.

Mark Hughes revealed over the weekend that, contrary to speculation linking the 26-year-old with a January transfer, they had exercised the option to keep Dikgacoi at the club until June 2012.

"KG's a good player, and like a number of players who aren't playing, there's a little bit of frustration I'm sure. But he's a player we want to keep here. We've taken up the option on his contract so that shows our intent in his regards," said the former Manchester City and Blackburn boss.

But having planned showdown talks with Hughes this week after seeing his client feature for just four minutes in the first-team since the Welshman took over from Roy Hodgson, Dikgacoi's agent Mike Makaab admitted he is 'bewildered' by the decision.

"I have been notified that they have exercised the option on the contract to extend it for a year but I'm completely bewildered by the news to be honest," he said.

"KG was not even on the bench for the FA Cup match against Peterborough at the weekend so for the manager to say he is still in their plans is very surprising, especially because they have just signed another player in his position in Steven Sidwell.

"I'll be discussing the whole matter with the player and the club but I don't want to comment any further at this stage."

Dikgacoi has already been linked with clubs in Germany and France after playing 17 times for Fulham last season.

Hughes has preferred Nigerian Dickson Etuhu in the anchorman role since his arrival in west London but appeared to open the door for the former Golden Arrows captain with his comments over the weekend.

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852332-michael-brown-targeted-by-wolves-after-missing-out-on-steve-sidwell?

Michael Brown targeted by Wolves after missing out on Steve Sidwell
Wolves have turned their attention to Portsmouth midfielder Michael Brown after failing to capture Steve Sidwell from Midlands rivals Aston Villa.

Brown could leave the Championship side in the January transfer window after failing to reach a compromise with Portsmouth over a clause in his current contract which provides him with a pay rise if he plays another game.

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy is said to be keen on signing a number of new players this month to help in the club's battle to avoid relegation this season.

McCarthy missed out on the chance to Sidwell after the midfielder turned down an offer to join Wolves and instead opted to sign for Fulham.

The move also saw West Ham manager Avram Grant engage in a war of words with the Hammers' director Karen Brady.

In her newspaper column, Brady said the reason the Sidwell transfer had fallen through was because West Ham already have 13 midfielders on their books and the former Aston Villa player would not be guaranteed first team football.

Responding to the comments, Grant said: 'I didn't read the column so I don't know what she said.

'Maybe I will have a column in a newspaper and say what I think.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852332-michael-brown-targeted-by-wolves-after-missing-out-on-steve-sidwell#ixzz1AiLAq7EE

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/01/gatesys-roundup-that-probably-shouldnt-bake-anymore-brownies/?

Gatesy's Roundup That Probably Shouldn't Bake Anymore Brownies
by GATESY on JANUARY 11, 2011

FA Cup thrid round weekend. One of the most magical and exciting in the English football fixtures. Full of the prosepect of upsets, David v Goliaths and unexpected match-ups. Thankfully for us we avoided the upset and safely booked ourselves passage into the next round.

Only five of the 22 goals we've scored this season have come from recognised strikers, so it was a bit of a shock to see Kamara put the ball in the net three times on Saturday. The lack of goals from the team must be something the coaches are working on. For a team with the fifth best defensive record in the Premier League a place in the relegation tussle shouldn't be happening. And if that wasn't shock enough we also got to see Etuhu score – wowsers trousers! The young lady next to me, seemly unable to comprehend such an event, took some convincing from me that it actually was Etuhu who scored, and it wasn't some mirage. Though I'm not Dicksons biggest fan, and think he's surprisingly light weight for such a big lump, lacks presences, doesn't shoot enough and lacks vision to do anything other than passing the ball sideways or backwards he seems to be slowly improving. After a good showing at Spuds he put in a good shift against the Baggies with an amazing 98% completion rate on his passes (I don't have the figures as to how many were forward however). Perhaps he's realised there's new recruits on the way in.

Sparky stuck with the same eleven from the Baggies game and 'Boro started with famous faces such as ex-neighbours actor Mark Little and U2's Adam Clayton. After withstanding a Posh onslaught in the first five minutes or so the result was pretty comfortable. Baird setting up the first with a delightful cross from the right, and Gera and Greening completing the scoring for the whites. A Posh Penalty (conceded by debutant Haliche) did make the score 4-1, and another goal from Tomlin, but the result was never really in question.

The night before the game Stockdale announced to the world, through the medium of Twitter, that he was off for some dirty chicken at Nandos. And after seeing some of the saves he's been pulling off between the sticks for us, I'm considering sending my 5-a-side teams keeper down to Chicken Cottage before games too.

Which brings us nicely to our new number 7, Mr Sidwell. Considering Sparky saying we were his first choice it seems odd he had a medical at West Ham just before Christmas, before Karen Brady and Bongo Dave decided they knew best and cancelled the transfer. He also then had talks with Wolves before rejecting them late last week because, well because it was far too close to Wolverhampton. McCarthy said:

"I just can't move Wolverhampton any closer to London. There's nothing I can do about that. We can't do anything about the geography"

So, eventually, he found his way to Motspur Park. Although only signing on a six month deal, with an option of a four year extension to me it looks like he could be being lined up to fill Murphy's boots in the centre of the park. Hopefully we got a reduction on his £35k a week salary he had reportedly been on.

Back to cup action, and only a late penalty saved Arsenals blushes at the Emirates. Arsenal have never lost to a lower league opponent in the cup and not a single FA cup game on home soil under Wenger but came close on Saturday to losing both these records. Although being under the cosh for the opening part Leeds took the lead after Denilson fouled Max Gradel in the box. Snodgrass put the visitors in front  from the spot after an hour who then who withstood the Arsenal pressure until the last minute when Fabrigas slotted home the leveller, again from the spot.

The draw means Leeds are still in the draw and also the most northerly team still in the competition.

Just hours after sacking Uncle Roy, sorry mutually agreeing it was time for him leave, 'King' Kenny led Liverpool out to a defeat at Old Trafford. For me the penalty, Gerrard's red card and giving nothing against Rafael were all spot on from the ref.

Just ask the man who took a tumble, who said after the game:

"There was contact, enough to make me lose my balance and fall on the ground. People who know me know I don't go down that easily so I think it was a fair decision."

The holders got off to a solid start in the competition. Ipswich Town hit the A12 to visit that lot down the road and probably wish they'd stayed back in Suffolk. Days after sacking Roy Keane, days before a cup semi final against Arsenal, they suffered a seven nil drubbing. The result means that on his last four visits to Stamford Bridge Marton Fulop  has conceded a total of 23 goals. Today the club have announced ex-Wigan gaffer Paul Jewell has taken charge at Portman Road.

Sol Bamba scored with his first touch in English football when he helped Leicester City achieve a draw against Man City. A late equaliser for the Foxes means a replay will be required to separate the teams before the victor travels to Notts County.

As far as I'm aware, the norf-east of England are walking around town whistling in a nonchalant manner and nodding to each other pretending the cup doesn't exist this season. With Sunderland, Middlesbrough and the Barcodes being knocked out by lower league opponents there was very little to celebrate up there this weekend. While Avram Grant, surely he's got his desk all packed up just waiting for THAT phone call, saw his side beat Barnsley 2-0 to safely reach the sixth round. Other Premier League sides safely through to the next round include Everton, Wigan and Birmingham. While Wolves will host Doncaster in a replay next week, as will Stoke and Cardiff.

Last night in the Cup Crawley Town entertained Derby Country. Despite conceeding and then going on to save a spot kick, Crawley went on to beat the Championship side 2-1. Town now face a trip down to Torquay in the next round. While, as I'm sure we all know by now, we face Spuds again at the Cottage.

Up next for our boys it's back to league action with a trip to the DW Stadium when we face Wigan Athletic on Saturday afternoon. The Latics are sitting in 19th spot, some five places below us, but just a sing

White Noise

Cup Target

Tuesday 11th January 2011

Fulham midfielder Jonathan Greening has targeted another memorable cup run after Saturday's convincing FA Cup Third Round victory over Peterborough United.

After the Whites opened up a 4-0 lead, the League One side pulled a goal back before Diomansy Kamara completed a deserved hat-trick. Peterborough added a second from the spot four minutes from time, with Greening putting the finishing touches to the 6-2 win with a minute left.

"These type of games are always difficult because they came to Craven Cottage looking to cause an upset," Greening told fulhamfc.com. "They started really brightly to be fair to them, and took the game to us during the first 10 minutes.

"But once we scored the first goal, we settled down and played some really good football. I think it was a thoroughly professional performance and I think everyone saw that this is a competition that we are taking very seriously.

"The gaffer did change things a little in the second-half, given some of the players that haven't been involved as much lately a little run out and I don't think anyone let him down."

Greening replaced Clint Dempsey on the hour mark to make his first appearance since the 1-1 draw with Aston Villa to claim two assists and his second goal for the Club, slotting home a composed finish on the run.

"It was nice to get out there and be involved," he explained. "I played the last half hour and fortunately I managed to play my part in seeing the game out.

"It's always nice to play your part and of course, it's always nice to score a goal. I don't score many, but I will take that one. To score six in any game is an achievement and I think we looked very assured in the final third – which bodes well."

It was another valuable victory for the Whites, who can take much from their latest performance as they head to Wigan on Saturday| looking for a fourth win from five games.

"We've done well lately, and managed to get the results our displays have deserved," said Greening. "People like to talk about the momentum that winning games gives a team and they are right.

"We're on a good run of form and having secured that long-awaited away win at Stoke the other week it gives us the confidence to go to Wigan and get a similar result – it's a good chance for us to extend that run and form."

Greening has been part of successful cup runs in the past reaching the final of the League Cup and the Semi-Final of the FA Cup, so the 32-year-old knows all about the benefits a positive cup run brings.

But with London rivals Tottenham our opponents in the Fourth Round, Greening has warned that the Whites will have to be at their best against in-form Spurs.

"While I was at Middlesbrough I was part of some successful cup teams," he explained. "And it does wonders for a club. It gives you a lift and a real buzz – that's one of the great things about cup football.

"You can take a lot from the experience and hopefully having reached the Quarter-Final in the last two seasons we can put another decent run together. We enjoyed the Europa League run last year, so it would be nice to do the same in the FA Cup.

"Of course, we now face Tottenham which is a massive game for us. It will be tough because they are having a good season and will come to Craven Cottage as one of the teams to beat. They have some great players and we know the threats that they will bring with them.

"But we have proved that we are a more than capable team – especially in cup games, so there's no reason why we can't progress. There have been some close games between the two teams in recent years and I'm sure some of the Fulham fans will say that we are due a victory over them.

"We have every ambition of going far in the FA Cup and to do that you're going to have to beat the big teams and I can see no reason why we can't come out on top of this one."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/GreeningPeterboroughReaction.aspx#ixzz1Aing7tqr