watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kurzawa

Started by LC, January 19, 2023, 12:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

It just occurred to me that Kurzawa didn't really get much of a mention after the Newcastle defeat. I thought he had a good game for someone who hasn't really had any competitive minutes this season and just come back from a long spell on the sidelines.

It's not a perfect performance, but if that is a base where he builds from then I think he could be a good player for us

Pluto

He wasn't terrible but Almiron gave him and BDR a really hard time down our left side and at times I thought he looked very shaky. It was also noticeable that BDR seemed to be covering for him a lot.

I remember him having a very nice block and a couple of good touches but nothing to suggest he's an improvement on Robinson defensively. Going forward, the only thing I really remember is a lot of groans when he put an end to a good move with a terrible ball straight to their goalkeeper.

Also has such a small frame, he looks like he'll fall over and injure himself at any moment. Similar to Scott Malone. He really needs to bulk up a bit to cut it in this league.

LC

Quote from: Pluto on January 19, 2023, 12:16:37 AM
He wasn't terrible but Almiron gave him and BDR a really hard time down our left side and at times I thought he looked very shaky. It was also noticeable that BDR seemed to be covering for him a lot.

I remember him having a very nice block and a couple of good touches but nothing to suggest he's an improvement on Robinson defensively. Going forward, the only thing I really remember is a lot of groans when he put an end to a good move with a terrible ball straight to their goalkeeper.

Also has such a small frame, he looks like he'll fall over and injure himself at any moment. Similar to Scott Malone. He really needs to bulk up a bit to cut it in this league.

Robinson is clearly the better fullback no doubt about that. But to be fair to him he came in against probably the best inform winger in the PL and against a title challenging side (albeit they'll probably just finish top 4), but the point is he was alright. I would like to see him get some more minutes under his belt as he works his way back from his injury before making an assessment. He's not a bad player, I think he'll work out to be a good squad player for us this season.

General

Overly critical in my opinion. He's played 3 games, two league and one Cup since he's been here and before that hadn't played for a year. He went up against the form team (aside from arsenal) and away from home up against Almiron AND Trippier (who won la liga in Spain with Athletico Madrid). Given the fact you could argue both of those players are noticeably better in a richer vein of form and have had more game time are some of the best players in the league, and it took a moment where neither of them were involved to lose 1-0.

Let's not criticise too heavily.

I thought all of that he did very very well! Granted it wasn't amazing and he didn't offer as much in an attacking sense, but that can be forgiven. I thought he was solid enough defensively and had a good first touch/pass on him and he kept the ball moving quickly.

More game time will improve his overall match play and as competition for antonee you could do a lot worse. He won the ligue 1 as a starter with PSG. A case, like areola of being more than good enough but needing time to play.

Count Flapula

Quote from: General on January 19, 2023, 08:21:45 AM

Overly critical in my opinion. He's played 3 games, two league and one Cup since he's been here and before that hadn't played for a year. He went up against the form team (aside from arsenal) and away from home up against Almiron AND Trippier (who won la liga in Spain with Athletico Madrid). Given the fact you could argue both of those players are noticeably better in a richer vein of form and have had more game time are some of the best players in the league, and it took a moment where neither of them were involved to lose 1-0.

I thought all of that he did very very well! Granted it wasn't amazing and he didn't offer as much in an attacking sense, but that can be forgiven. I thought he was solid enough defensively and had a good first touch/pass on him and he kept the ball moving quickly.

More game time will improve his overall match play and as competition for antonee you could do a lot worse. He won the ligue 1 as a starter with PSG. A case, like areola of being more than good enough but needing time to play.

This. Give him some time to get up to match fitness before you judge / write him off. He was out of football for a year.

For context, he scored a hat trick in a CL once so has plenty going forwards at least. Patience.

hovewhite

Also he's replacing the most inform left sided attacking defender in the division.
He's been out injured for 12 months so we need to give him time not criticism.

WokingFFC

Quote from: Count Flapula on January 19, 2023, 08:36:01 AM
Quote from: General on January 19, 2023, 08:21:45 AM

This. Give him some time to get up to match fitness before you judge / write him off. He was out of football for a year.

For context, he scored a hat trick in a CL once so has plenty going forwards at least. Patience.

Exactly!

Also, he had Trippier playing down that side too, not just Almiron, hence the reason BDR was there as 'cover'.

It was a decent performance from him against a well honed partnership, so give him your support rather than criticising him

Chutney

Quote from: LC on January 19, 2023, 12:07:30 AM
It just occurred to me that Kurzawa didn't really get much of a mention after the Newcastle defeat. I thought he had a good game for someone who hasn't really had any competitive minutes this season and just come back from a long spell on the sidelines.

It's not a perfect performance, but if that is a base where he builds from then I think he could be a good player for us

We had to change our entire formation to provide cover for him.... Not sure thats sustainable going forward, new back up fullbacks are a priority in the summer.
C O Y W

Sting of the North

Quote from: Chutney on January 19, 2023, 08:54:42 AM

We had to change our entire formation to provide cover for him.... Not sure thats sustainable going forward, new back up fullbacks are a priority in the summer.

To state that we had to change our entire formation to provide cover for him is a huge overstatement in my opinion. For one thing, we did not change our entire formation, that is just not true. We made one positional change, and maybe som positional minor tweaks. Secondly, it is only your assumption that those changes were made only because Kurzawa played instead of Robinson. We were up against one of the leagues most in form attacking wingers and fullbacks. It is not as if they just happened to play well in this game, is it?

Furthermore, your conclusion seem to be that since you didn't think Kurzawa was good enough in this game, he will never be good enough. This is completely ignoring many things that others have written about him only having had very little playing time after a lenghty spell on the sidelines. So, in your opinion is it likely that this was as good as he will ever be again, regardless of playing time and opposition? And if so, how did you reach this conclusion? Because surely it cannot be based on just those very limited appearances we have seen of him in a Fulham shirt, can it?

Chutney

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 19, 2023, 09:09:44 AM

To state that we had to change our entire formation to provide cover for him is a huge overstatement in my opinion. For one thing, we did not change our entire formation, that is just not true. We made one positional change, and maybe som positional minor tweaks. Secondly, it is only your assumption that those changes were made only because Kurzawa played instead of Robinson. We were up against one of the leagues most in form attacking wingers and fullbacks. It is not as if they just happened to play well in this game, is it?

Furthermore, your conclusion seem to be that since you didn't think Kurzawa was good enough in this game, he will never be good enough. This is completely ignoring many things that others have written about him only having had very little playing time after a lenghty spell on the sidelines. So, in your opinion is it likely that this was as good as he will ever be again, regardless of playing time and opposition? And if so, how did you reach this conclusion? Because surely it cannot be based on just those very limited appearances we have seen of him in a Fulham shirt, can it?

Living in France for 4 years, I watched him play extensively while he was "at his best" and he isn't prem standard, he would be a very risky back up option for beyond this season. Especially given he is 30 and declining. Joe Bryan would be a much better back up option but I can't blame him for wanting to move for first team games, neither of them are outing Robinson.
C O Y W

junior white

Personally thought he played better than he did in the short time he was in the field against them in the first game, he is an experience champions league player who needs to get fully back to first team level having had a fair few injuries these last couple of years. We wouldn't have got him if he hadn't been so injured in my opinion. Good back up option for Robinson who has vastly improved these last 2 years.

BDR for me was moved to help Kurzawa as Willian isnt the best defensively. All in all I thought Kurzawa had a decent game, things he can improve on for sure.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Chutney on January 19, 2023, 09:18:55 AM

Living in France for 4 years, I watched him play extensively while he was "at his best" and he isn't prem standard, he would be a very risky back up option for beyond this season. Especially given he is 30 and declining. Joe Bryan would be a much better back up option but I can't blame him for wanting to move for first team games, neither of them are outing Robinson.

Fair enough. Personally I prefer giving players a chance to prove their worth in our colours. For the record, Bryan isn't getting playing time in Ligue 1, so I am not sure why he would then be considered prem standard either (it is not as he has been shining in previous attempts, although for sure not his fault alone).

MickTheBeard

Kurosawa have no moans about him but considering we only had Robinson as left back it does criticise the talent spotters for going for a player who hasn't played for a long while and possibly on high money does sound as though the scouting dept are lazy brains where we should be looking for aplayer to be a threat to Robinson if god forbid we want to sell him for profit.

Chutney

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 19, 2023, 09:25:22 AM
Quote from: Chutney on January 19, 2023, 09:18:55 AM

Fair enough. Personally I prefer giving players a chance to prove their worth in our colours. For the record, Bryan isn't getting playing time in Ligue 1, so I am not sure why he would then be considered prem standard either (it is not as he has been shining in previous attempts, although for sure not his fault alone).

I'd happily be proved wrong on this and eat my words, we need a good back up for Robinson (who himself had his detractors, even in the championship!) Stranger things have happened.
C O Y W

Tabby

Think he did ok. Not much evidence to judge him on so far.

filham

Early days for Kurzawa, he needs more game time , lets hope we see a performance from him against Sunderland.
That right flank of Newcastle's was strong which explains why BDR was switched to the left.

Twig

Don't think we would need to going forward.  Other teams don't have a combo of Almiron and Trippier to throw at that side of our defence.

ffcthereligion

I was quite impressed given how long he's been out and think he could be a solid back up. However his positioning was poor, and obviously doesn't have the pace of Robbo

Somerset Fulham

I read a lot of the Geordie forums and the concensus was that this one of Trippier's poorer games. Now that could be down to the player himself of course, but I also like to think that it was because of the job that our two did on him defensively.

He looked good to me. Not to Robinson's standard but certainly a very worthy back up, and as he gets fitter he will only get better.  Look at how long it has actually taken TC to refind past form, for instance.

Dodgin

Soares has played at Left Back for Arsenal