watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Slow With Subs

Started by fancyfeet4, January 23, 2023, 10:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fancyfeet4

I am not sure why but tonight Silva was way too slow with substitutions.  It was clear the team was "out of ideas" as it was just passing around side to side and backwards, without a cutting edge.  I felt he waited 10-15 minutes too long to remove BDR and Willian. 

Willian has been phenomenal, but he isnt as young and I think on nights like tonight, it would be better to sub him and save it a bit.  He's a starter game in game out unless the form dramatically dips, but I would have pulled BDR and Willian after 55.

Today was just a frustrating match with very little real opportunity to score. We needed to mix things up a bit and I just felt Silva waited way too long.

On to the next match.  We've gotten too much right this season to complain that much, but today I felt we didnt do enough to try and get a goal, especially when it was apparent we didnt have it from about the 20-30 minute onwards.

jayffc

Peed me off tonight waiting to change it up. Not the first time either.

Can't complain too much with the season we've had but that was a chance for 1-3 points in my opinion against a poor Tottenham side

Would have had Manor on way way sooner. We needed someone with a bit of magic who can get in behind and be unpredictable
Hope he starts in the cup and wins himself a starting place or at least 30 bloody minutes to do something. Highly frustrated after that game

Kfar saba

Boring spurs , agree with  late sub
Tonight, manor should came 15 min early
Hope for the cup

FFC In Oz

Quote from: jayffc on January 23, 2023, 10:32:35 PM
Peed me off tonight waiting to change it up. Not the first time either.

Can't complain too much with the season we've had but that was a chance for 1-3 points in my opinion against a poor Tottenham side

Would have had Manor on way way sooner. We needed someone with a bit of magic who can get in behind and be unpredictable
Hope he starts in the cup and wins himself a starting place or at least 30 bloody minutes to do something. Highly frustrated after that game

Agree with this.

Needed that bit of spark/creativity that someone like Manor or Harry could potentially provide.

Definitely a chance of 1-3 points blown.

Twig

Was there in the freezing cold and waiting for the substitutions did nothing for my mood.  I've said it before, Marco sometimes waits too long to act.

Dodgin

Dominated most of the first half without achieving a lead, second sadly totally ineffective.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Dodgin on January 23, 2023, 11:03:47 PM
Dominated most of the first half without achieving a lead, second sadly totally ineffective.

No cutting edge.

Struggling to think of a real clear-cut chance though.  BDR from range, Reed straight at Lloris, likewise with Willian on his left from an angle

Motspur Park

Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 23, 2023, 11:06:59 PM
Quote from: Dodgin on January 23, 2023, 11:03:47 PM

No cutting edge.

Struggling to think of a real clear-cut chance though.  BDR from range, Reed straight at Lloris, likewise with Willian on his left from an angle

The header from Paulinha in the 1st half should have been a goal and was our only real clear chance but Diop got in his way and put him off.

Rambler

Last two games we've struggled to create much.
Definitely could have done with subs way sooner and I think it's perhaps time to start Solomon rather than BDR.
Other thoughts. We were crying out for a fast striker to play off the shoulder of the CBs to try and stretch the defense and create pockets of space for periera to sit in between their midfield and defence. For the second half where they just sat back it was so easy for them to defend against us.

hovewhite

Maybe teams have sussed how to counter us now and as we are nearly safe will be interesting to see how the team works it's way out of this blip lead by Marco with tactics.

filham

Ten minutes into the second half and it was clear that Spurs had our attack in their pocket, Solomon , Wilson and Cirney could have come on at that point.

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Rambler on January 24, 2023, 08:11:41 AM
Last two games we've struggled to create much.
Definitely could have done with subs way sooner and I think it's perhaps time to start Solomon rather than BDR.
Other thoughts. We were crying out for a fast striker to play off the shoulder of the CBs to try and stretch the defense and create pockets of space for periera to sit in between their midfield and defence. For the second half where they just sat back it was so easy for them to defend against us.

Yes - exactly my thoughts. Against Newcastle I thought the subs were completely wrong - going 5 at the back gave Newcastle the initiative when we should have kept pushing to win the game.

Fair enough Solomon should be eased back in - but he should be getting more minutes of the bench.  Hopefully he will start against Sunderland and that will be the springboard to become a starter.

A fast striker who can left or right in a front three is definitely what we need to push on next season.  It would be great if we could Zaha who is out of contract end of the season. Aside from James (who unfortunately does not have the quality), there is a lack of pace in forward positions.