more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 25/01/23...

Started by WhiteJC, January 25, 2023, 12:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Player ratings: Fulham 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur

George Rossiter returns to rate the boys after a second consecutive defeat.

Fulham fell to another narrow defeat on a cold Monday night at the Cottage. A stoppage time effort from Harry Kane in the first half was the difference, despite the whites dominating the proceedings in the first 45. Regardless, Silva's men remain in a good position in the league and can look forward to returning to form in the cup on Saturday against Sunderland.

Bernd Leno
Bar a slight hospital pass and a save from Emerson, Leno had barely anything to contribute in the first half and would've needed arms double the length of his own to reach Harry Kane's goal-bound effort on the brink of half time. An astonishing second-half save from a Kane header kept the deficit at one. 6.5/10

Kenny Tete
Tete dealt very well with the potentially worrying threat Tottenham posed with a left-hand side of Perisic and Son, regardless of their form. One-on-one defending and crosses continue to be strengths frequently demonstrated by the Dutchman in the Premier League this season. 7.5/10. – Man of the match

Issa Diop
A fairly standard game from Diop. Solid both in the first and second half both on the ball and in his defending. The Frenchman continues to bring a calmness and assurance to the backline which is especially impressive in a defeat you could say. With rumours spreading regarding Tosin's future and Ream being in his mid-30s, Diop seems to be the future of our backline. 7/10

Tim Ream
Call it experience or whatever you like, Ream's calmness on the ball even in the highest pressure of situations is really quite something, looking fearless even with the ball in his own six-yard box. It showed great leadership and captaincy seeing Ream continuously push Fulham's players away from the referee when they looked to unnecessarily crowd Paul Tierney and potentially gain needless yellow cards. 7/10

Antonee Robinson
Similarly to Ream, Robinson shows great composure on the ball when close to his own goal. One slight worry, even if it is yet to cause sufficient worry, may be his complete seeming lack of trust in his own right foot, which hopefully never comes back to bite him. One compliment you can give him this game is how seemingly anonymous he made the dangerous Kulusevski look. 7/10

Joao Palhinha
Set the intensity of Fulham's game in the first ten minutes of the game with a quickfire burst of strong challenges in the midfield which resulted in an early yellow for a hefty foul on Hojbjerg. If I'm 100% honest, I'm still not actually sure if Palhinha is a good passer of the ball or not, every pass either seems spot on or a mile off. 7/10

Harrison Reed
Not for the first time this season, Reed demonstrated his ability to pick the ball up in pockets higher up the pitch than a traditional holding or box-to-box midfielders. His link-up with Tete and Decordova-Reid is crucial in allowing Pereira to find similar space on the left side of midfield. Harrison was unlucky not to find the net after a first-half volley found Lloris' path. 7/10

Andreas Pereira
Something of a theme this season seems to be Pereira having a much bigger effect on the first half of games. Early on he played with great pace with a number of wonderful deliveries into the box that didn't quite produce a goal. His second half was a lot more quiet, however, something maybe noticeable in quite a few games this season. 7/10

Bobby De-Cordova Reid
Bobby got the better of Perisic on a number of occasions in the first half and linked well with Tete as per usual but as the game went on he struggled to impose himself on any Fulham attacks. Reverted to right back late on, once again showing his versatility and ability to allow Fulham to change system in a heartbeat. 6.5/10

Willian
One of Willian's quieter games, not necessarily a bad game but maybe we've come to expect a higher standard and seeing the Brazilian stamp his authority on games more than he did in this game. What was noticeable was how often Willian drifted inside and switched the play to change Fulham's direction of attack when things went stale. 6.5/10

Aleksandar Mitrovic
Mitro did brilliantly to come as deep as the halfway line on a number of occasions in the first half, linking play brilliantly with the wide players before getting himself back into the box. Chances for the forward were slightly limited, with half chances from tight angles or headers from deep all the Serb was given. 6,5/10

Substitutes

Tom Cairney (65' for Harrison Reed)
Carried the ball forward well but sadly to little effect when Fulham needed badly to unlock a stern Tottenham defence. 6.5/10

Manor Solomon (80' for Kenny Tete)
Forced a save from Lloris with a curling effort in the 89th minute, what an impact that could and would have been... 6.5/10

Carlos Vinicius (87' for Willian) and Harry Wilson (87' for Bobby De-Cordova Reid) subbed on too late to reasonably rate them.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-01-24-player-ratings-fulham-0-1-tottenham-hotspur/

WhiteJC

Silva rues defensive lapse
Marco Silva rued Fulham's slack spell just before half time as the Whites slipped to a second successive Premier League defeat against Tottenham last night.

The home side had dominated most of the first half but paid the penalty for allowing Harry Kane too much space from the edge of the box as the England captain's club-record equalling 266th Spurs goal clinched a precious three points for Antonio Conte.

The Fulham head coach told his post-match press conference:

"Our first 40 minutes was very good, I have to say. A very good level, high intensity, a lot of energy from ourselves, a good dynamic as well. We were clearly the best team for 40-42 minutes, the most dominant team, the team that created the most dangerous moments around their box.

I think we had two very good chances – one with Harrison Reed, another with João from a free-kick. But even without many, many chances, I think we were clearly the best team on the pitch until the last five minutes. I think we lost a little bit of control of the game, without reason to be honest, in the last five minutes of the half.

"Some moments when we won the ball, we lost the ball too quickly again, and after a fast corner kick came that goal from Kane. Of course it was decided by a great footballer, but if you are in a good position then that moment will not happen, for sure. We lost the control in that three minutes and we were punished by that, from a great finish from him, but we were punished by that."

Silva admitted that Fulham found it difficult to break down Spurs' disciplined defence in the second period.

"Second half, I think we lost a bit of the energy, also a little bit of the dynamic. The setback is always difficult. Nine players were always behind the ball in their own half and we didn't find the spaces, we didn't find the gaps to create chances to equalise the game. It was a tough second half for us. Even if we were the dominant team, we didn't create enough."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/01/silva-rues-defensive-lapse/

WhiteJC

Fulham defender emerges on radar of French club amid West Ham links this winter

Latest news on the transfer front involving Fulham involves a potential exit

Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo is reportedly attracting interest from elsewhere. The former Manchester City man has 'chances' to leave the club before the end of the transfer window.

That's according to reporter Fabrizio Romano on Twitter (see tweet below), who claims French side AS Monaco are among European clubs 'monitoring' his situation. He has made 15 appearances in all competitions so far this season, 14 of which have come in the Premier League.

Fulham signed the 25-year-old back in 2020 and he has since played 93 times altogether for the London club. He helped them gain promotion from the Championship last term under Marco Silva.

West Ham have also been linked with him this winter. Journalist Dean Jones told GiveMeSport earlier this month: "Tosin Adarabioyo at Fulham is somebody they've looked at to try and figure out whether he's available. I think there was a time when Tosin would have been gettable, I'm not sure that moment is right now."

Prior to his move to Craven Cottage, Adarabioyo rose up through the ranks at the Etihad Stadium and played eight times for City's first-team. He also had loan spells away at West Brom and Blackburn Rovers to gain experience.

In other news, Twente Insite report that Fulham's interest in Joshua Brenet is 'concrete'. He has become the latest right-back to be linked.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-defender-emerges-on-radar-of-french-club-amid-west-ham-links-this-winter-3998553

WhiteJC

What is Fulham's ceiling?
It seems rather churlish to feel annoyed after two narrow defeats in the last two games considering how well Fulham have done this season. Most of us would have taken merely being above the relegation zone at this stage of the campaign when we were awaiting our return to the top flight in the summer, so to be in the top half – and even discussed as possible contenders for European qualification – shows just how well Marco Silva has done. But, after dominating for long periods of a tight London derby against Tottenham last night and coming away with nothing thanks to bit of brilliance from Harry Kane, I am wondering what the Whites' ceiling would be in the top flight.

The historical parallel between what Silva has achieved already would probably be found with the man who collected his Forever Fulham award at half time last night. Roy Hodgson is a bona fide Fulham legend: having rescued the club from almost certain relegation in 2008, registered our highest ever top flight finish just a season later and, of course, taken the Whites all the way to a Europa League final. Those successes still seem surreal when you are writing about them fifteen years later. Hodgson did benefit from taking over at a club that had firmly established itself in the Premier League, even if that security was jeopardised by Lawrie Sanchez's shambolic stewardship.

There are other impediments that make how well Fulham have attacked the Premier League this term even more impressive. Financial Fair Play puts a straitjacket on but the elite sides these days – Fulham are still suffering from the scattergun spending post-2018 promotion – and the shrewd summer acquisitions must mean that there is little headroom to splash the cash in January. Even the club's two domestic loan spots are occupied, which makes bringing in the reinforcements necessary to sustain a genuine push for continental qualification all the more difficult. It will likely need to be one in, one out in January, which as Silva has suggested himself, isn't the worst way of operating as the winter window is the toughest period to make sensible spending decisions.

The big plus for Fulham is that, for the first time in a while, it looks as though we do not need to a bewildering amount of business to avoid going down. That, in itself, shows just how successful this season has already been. Silva has got the Whites punching way above their weight with a squad that is still lacking in a number of positions. Fulham will likely be looking to recruit a new centre back at the close of this campaign, especially if Tosin Adarabioyo wants to leave the Cottage. The head coach is desperately seeking a right back to compete with Kenny Tete having been distinctly unimpressed with Kevin Mbabu, and Fulham definitely need cover for Joao Palhinha and Harrison Reed as well as a different type of striker to Aleksandar Mitrovic and even Carlos Vincius.

In time, upgrades would be required in a number of other positions as well – and that is why the construction, and ultimate commercial success of the Riverside Stand, will be a gamechanger for Fulham. Matchday and non-matchday activities will bring in revenue that should both reduce the exorbitant amounts of money that Shahid Khan has to put it every year to make the club a going concern and also alter that pesky FFP position. That will take a while to filter through to first-team signings – and standing still in the top flight simply isn't an option.

Silva has put the building blocks in place to achieve something special on the banks of the River Thames. Arguably, the biggest January signing Fulham could make would be to tie down the Portuguese coach to a long-term contract. He is bound to be on the radar of the big clubs for the many managerial jobs that will be vacant come the close season. Silva and Fulham feel like a perfect fit. That he hasn't sought to adjust his attacking principles even as Fulham went from Championship champions back to the big league was commendable – and it is time for him to be rewarded by the club's hierarchy.

That contract extension will also illustrate that Fulham mean business. They have driven a hard bargain in terms of holding on their key players – with Aleksandar Mitrovic on a big contract that will prove impossible to better at this point. The renewal of contracts has even filtered down to the younger groups post the academy reorganisation; it was refreshing to see both Ollie O'Neill and Luke Harris commit to new deals in the summer despite frenzied interest from elsewhere. Once the key men are all in place, Fulham can start building for the future. At the moment, it feels like the top half of the table is a realistic aim – especially as the top four appear to operate on a different stratosphere. But, with Silva at the helm longer-term and the Khan family's generous support, the Whites might even set their sights higher.

Don't be too disheartened by the last couple of defeats. This very likeable Fulham side have shown character as well as guile and will bounce back from such dispiriting setbacks. Whisper it quietly, the future is bright – it's black and white.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/01/what-is-fulhams-ceiling/

WhiteJC

Solomon feels 'much stronger'
Manor Solomon says he is inching closer to full fitness after making a number of substitutes appearances for Fulham in recent weeks.

The Israeli international suffered a knee injury just a day after his Fulham debut, when he came off the bench to set up a goal in the Whites' opening day draw against Liverpool, and had to wait until the FA Cup third round tie at Hull City earlier this month to return to first-team football. The winger came close to equalising against Tottenham last night having been introduced as a substitute and Solomon told FFCTV that feels much better having got more minutes under his belt:

"I tried to bring my creativity and equalise the game. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Hopefully, I will get some more minutes in the next game. I am starting to feel much better than a couple of weeks ago and I am looking forward now. I feel stronger every day, every week. I've come back from a long injury and I am starting to be physically better. In the training [sessions], I am feeling it as well. Hopefully, I will get a few more minutes in the next matches and I will be fully fit.

I couldn't rush the comeback. I knew when I got injured and the physicians told me what I had, I understood that it was going to be a long injury and that I needed to be really careful and cautious. Now, we are out of it and I feel good. I can say that my injury is behind me and now it is just the physical progress and the ability to play more minutes.

Solomon is looking forward to Saturday's FA Cup tie against Sunderland as an opportunity to show more of what he can do to the Craven Cottage faithful.

"My first game after the injury was in the Cup and hopefully against Sunderland I can get some more minutes, some more game time and help the team more. It is the second most important competition for us and we are looking forward to this game, we want to win and game through to the next game. Sunderland is a big club in England, they are a good team, we know it. I think in England there are no easy games, especially when you play against Championship teams. We will analyse this game, we will see Sunderland and we will come to the game on Saturday with one goal – which is to win."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/01/solomon-feels-much-stronger/

WhiteJC

João: Showed Our Value

The fine margins of the Premier League proved the difference once again in Fulham's defeat by Tottenham Hotspur.

A dominant first half for the Whites concluded with Harry Kane's suckerpunch, much to João Palhinha's chagrin.

"A tough result for us," he said. "I think we deserved another result for what we did, especially in the first half. We missed some big opportunities, but we showed our value. I think we did one of the best first halves of the season.

"We dominated, not all [half] but most of it. In the second half it was completely different, they kept one more guy in the defence and it was a tough mission to score, to make a goal.

"But when we play against these teams with this quality, we need to concentrate in all the moments because one goal can punish you.

"Unfortunately, we missed our opportunities. Tottenham, they scored. But football is like this. It's not the first time that happened, especially with the big teams.

"It would have been good if we had won this game, but we need to keep doing our job like we have been.

"We need to keep improving, we are doing a good season, and we want more, and we have more games to change this last result."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/january/24/joao-showed-our-value/

WhiteJC

Super Eagles-eligible player begins training with Chelsea ahead of potential debut v Fulham

Chelsea manager Graham Potter has started running the rule over new signing Chukwunonso Madueke with a view to handing the Super Eagles-eligible player his competitive debut in the club's next match - a London derby against Fulham at Stamford Bridge.

As part of their Vision 2030 project, the Blues snapped up the England U21 international of Nigerian descent last week, tying him up to a seven-and-a-half-year deal with a club option for the 2030-2031 season.

PSV Eindhoven agreed to terminate the 20-year-old's contract before its expiration in exchange for 35 million euros.

Chelsea confirmed through their official website that Madueke took part in a light training session at Cobham Training Centre on Monday and added that his potential debut comes in ten days time in a Premier League match against Fulham.

The exciting winger has not really played much this season as he spent the first two months of the season on the sidelines due to an ankle injury he suffered during pre-season preparations at PSV Eindhoven.

Madueke, a product of the Tottenham Hotspur academy, played three matches against Premier League opposition during his PSV days, against Arsenal in the Europa League and Leicester City in the Europa Conference League.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=46178

WhiteJC

Fulham assessing new Mitrovic injury

Fulham boss Marco Silva hopes Aleksandar Mitrovic has not sustained any further damage to his ankle following Monday's 1-0 defeat by Spurs at Craven Cottage.

Mitrovic, who has been carrying a problem in his right foot since before the World Cup, was in severe discomfort following a challenge in the final minutes of the game by Eric Dier and was forced off the field.

The Serbia striker was likely to be rested for Saturday's FA Cup fourth round clash with Sunderland in any case, and Silva will be hoping he is fit enough to face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on February 3.

"It's too early to say. He had that problem in the last minutes of the game, so it is a case of seeing how he feels," Silva said.

"It is the same ankle that he hurt before so we will just have to wait and see."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-face-anxious-wait-on-mitrovic-injury

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy says Liverpool target Joao Palhinha is actually better than Ruben Neves

Amid interest from Liverpool, pundit Danny Murphy has claimed Fulham midfielder Joao Palhinha is a better player than Wolverhampton Wanderers stalwart Ruben Neves.

Taking to his column for the Mail on Sunday, the former Reds player suggested the Craven Cottage hero is actually a more well-rounded player than the Old Gold star.

"Portugal international Joao Palhinha is a steal at £17million (Wolves were also interested in case they lost Ruben Neves)," Murphy wrote.

"In my opinion, Palhinha is better, with more to his game."

According to 90min, Neves is on Jurgen Klopp's shortlist this month.

Elsewhere, journalist Dean Jones has reported the Merseyside outfit are eyeing a surprise move for Palhinha.

Palhinha better than Neves?
Although the comparison certainly isn't that clear-cut, Murphy's suggestion is a fair argument to make.

At this point in the season, Fulham sit seventh in the Premier League table. As per WhoScored match ratings, Palhinha has been instrumental in this push, having been ranked as the side's third-best player from 20 appearances this term.

Wolves, on the other hand, are all the way down in 17th. Although Neves has been rated as the Wanderers' best player, he hasn't been able to pull his side out of a relegation battle.

Defensively, both players are very strong. However, it is probably the Fulham ace who comes out on top, due to his prolific power in the tackle.

Going forward, it is probably the Wolves captain who trumps his opponent, due to his ferocious long-shot and goal-scoring threat.

Match of the Day commentator Steve Wilson has hailed Palhinha as an 'outstanding' player, while Neves has earned the same praise from The Athletic journalist Tim Spiers.

Either player could be a great signing for Liverpool, so it's only a matter of waiting to see what happens.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2023/01/24/danny-murphy-says-liverpool-target-joao-palhinha-is-actually-better-than-ruben-neves/

WhiteJC

Fulham planning to offer new contract to summer acquisition – Club 'satisfied' with his form in first season

Fulham are preparing to give Willian a new contract, according to reports from Brazil.

Outlet UOL today writes that the the Craven Cottage residents 'have been working behind the scenes' to extend the player's deal, which runs until the end of the season.

It's claimed Fulham are 'satisfied' with the player's form and would like to extend his contract for one or two years.

For now, the report doesn't say if the player shares the same intention as the Craven Cottage side, although that's very likely.

Last summer, Willian was having a hard time at his childhood Corinthians and decided to return to Europe.

Fulham soon brought him to train at the club, and with the player having lived in London for many years, they quickly became the obvious option for him.

Since joining the club, Willian has two goals and three assists in 14 appearances. He's been starting in most of their games this season, and is clearly one of Marco Silva's favourites, so it's no big surprise to seem them wanting to try and prolong the adventure together.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-planning-offer-new-contract-summer-acquisition-club-satisfied-form-first-season/

WhiteJC

Fulham open talks over moves for Milan van Ewijk and Joshua Brenet amid Cedric Soares impasse

Marco Silva keen to strengthen at right-back during this month's transfer window

Fulham are sounding out alternative right-back options after a move for Arsenal defender Cedric Soares stalled.

Talks over Cedric have reached a stalemate over his £65,000-a-week wages, which Fulham do not want to pay in full.

Fulham manager Marco Silva wants more depth at right-back behind Kenny Tete.

The Cottagers have opened talks with a number of other options, including Heerenveen's Milan van Ewijk and FC Twente's Joshua Brenet.

Rennes full-back Hamari Traore is also said to have been discussed.

Meanwhile, Fulham in talks to keep centre-back Tosin Adarabioyo amid interest from Monaco and a number of Bundesliga clubs.

Fulham recently triggered a one-year extension in his contract earlier this month, but his deal still expires at the end of next season and the club are now actively pursuing an extension beyond then.

Preston midfielder Ben Whiteman has been identified as a summer target, with fringe option Josh Onomah up for sale to Championship clubs.

Fulham loanee Rodrigo Muniz may leave Middlesbrough for another club after being dropped by manager Michael Carrick.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-fc-latet-transfer-news-van-ewijk-brenet-cedric-b1055198.html

WhiteJC

Fulham in transfer tussle to sign Milan van Ewijk

Fulham are reportedly interested in signing 22-year-old Dutch defender Milan van Ewijk from SC Heerenveen.

According to a report from Portuguese publication Record, as relayed by Sport Witness, Sporting CP have now joined the race to sign Milan van Ewijk. And it remains to be seen whether Fulham can beat them to secure the services of the 22-year-old Dutchman.

Marco Silva is determined to sign a quality right-back this month, and it will be interesting to see if the London club can agree on a fee with Heerenveen. Apparently, the defender is valued at €5 million, and the transfer could rise to €7 million including bonuses.

Fulham certainly have the financial resources to pay that kind of money for the young defender. And it remains to be seen whether they can get the deal across the line before the January window closes.

The 22-year-old is reportedly tempted to move to the Premier League, and he believes that it would be hard to turn down a move to Craven Cottage. Fulham currently have Kenny Tete and Kevin Mbabu as their right-back options. But Silva wants to add more quality to the position. Fulham have thus shown interest in several right-backs, including Joshua Brenet.

As for van Ewijk, the 22-year-old Dutchman has been in fine form this season, and he has three goals and an assist to his name across all competitions. Apart from his qualities going forward, he remains a reliable defender who could improve Fulham defensively as well. Playing against the attackers in the Premier League will help accelerate his development and help him fulfil his potential as well.

Fulham have done quite well in the Premier League this season, and the west London club are currently seventh in the league table. If they can finish the second half of the season strongly, there is no reason why they cannot secure Europa League qualification.

Marco Silva should look to improve his quad in January, and it remains to be seen how the situation develops. Sporting reportedly want the player as a replacement for Pedro Porro. The 23-year-old has been linked with a move to the Premier League this month, with Tottenham keen to secure his services.

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2023/01/24/fulham-in-transfer-tussle-to-sign-milan-van-ewijk/

WhiteJC

Premier League: All you need to know about transfer deadline day

The January transfer window has produced several surprises with Premier League clubs already surpassing the record spend since the winter window was introduced.

Analysis from Deloitte's Sports Business Group shows the current spend for January in the English top flight as £440m, £10m more than the previous highest in January 2018.

And there is still time for Premier League clubs to do further business.

Here is everything you need to know before transfer deadline day.

When does the transfer window close?
The transfer window opened on 1 January and will close at 23:00 GMT on Tuesday, 31 January for the Premier League.

New signings are eligible for the next Premier League game if the club submit the required documents by midday on the last working day before that match.

In Scotland, the window shuts at 23:59 GMT on 31 January, while the Women's Super League closes at midnight for international transfers and 17:00 for domestic deals.

Elsewhere in Europe, the Bundesliga shuts at 17:00, Serie A at 19:00, La Liga at 23:00 and Ligue 1 at 11:59 - all on 31 January.

Who could be on the move?
Chelsea are reportedly still trying to sign Benfica and Argentina midfielder Enzo Fernandez despite having bids rejected at the start of the month.

The Blues may also return with an improved bid for Brighton and Ecuador midfielder Moises Caicedo.

Borussia Dortmund and England midfielder Jude Bellingham is attracting lots of interest with clubs including Liverpool, Manchester City and Real Madrid said to be fighting for his signature.

Everton winger Anthony Gordon
could attract attention from Newcastle, while Brighton are reportedly interested in £20m-rated Shakhtar Donetsk and Ukraine centre-back Mykola Matviyenko

Bournemouth are said to be vying with Southampton for the signature of Villarreal and Senegal forward Nicolas Jackson

What deals have already happened?
Following a controversial exit from Manchester United, Cristiano Ronaldo completed a move to Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr.

Chelsea have made six signings including Shakhtar Donetsk forward Mykhailo Mudryk for a fee rising to £89m, PSV Eindhoven winger Noni Madueke for £30m, Monaco defender Benoit Badiashile for £35m and Joao Felix on loan from Atletico Madrid.

League leaders Arsenal wrapped up the signing of Brighton midfielder Leandro Trossard for £21m and added defender Jakub Kiwior from Serie A club Spezia for £17.6m.

Leeds signed Hoffenheim forward Georginio Rutter for a club record fee of £36m, and Liverpool brought in Netherlands forward Cody Gakpo from PSV Eindhoven in a deal which could rise to £45m.

Elsewhere, Aston Villa signed striker Jhon Duran for £18m from Chicago Fire, Danny Ings moved from Villa to West Ham for £12m and Leicester signed Copenhagen defender Victor Kristiansen for £17m.

Bournemouth recruited winger Dango Ouattara for about £20m from French club Lorient, and Southampton bought midfielder Carlos Alcaraz from Argentine side Racing Club for £12m.

Wolves signed Paris St-Germain winger Pablo Sarabia for £4.4m, Nottingham Forest landed Palmeiras midfielder Danilo for about £16m and Aston Villa completed a £13.2m deal for Real Betis left-back Alex Moreno.

Meanwhile, striker Chris Wood moved from Newcastle to Nottingham Forest on loan, and Burnley's Wout Weghorst was loaned to Manchester United.

How much has been spent so far?
Deloitte says £440m has already been spent in this transfer window by Premier League clubs.

That takes the Premier League gross spend for the 2022-23 season to £2.4bn, with a record-breaking summer window of £1.9bn followed by the highest January window.

Chelsea's six signings have cost about £181m - including the £89m transfer of Mudryk - while Leeds have broken their club record for the £36m paid to Hoffenheim for forward Rutter.

Gakpo's move to Liverpool was worth £35.4m-£44.3m, and PSV Eindhoven said it was a record transfer fee received by them.

At this point during the January 2022 window, Premier League clubs' gross spend was £105m but rose to £295m by the end of deadline day a week later.

"New ownership and an availability of financial resources to pay significant sums to maximise performance continue to be key contributors towards record spending levels," said Calum Ross, assistant director in Deloitte's Sports Business Group.

"While this level of spending illustrates Premier League clubs' recovery post-pandemic, the importance of long-term financial planning and focus on financial sustainability should continue to be a priority."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64384646

WhiteJC

Fulham keen to offer escape route to Everton man but stumbling block emerges

Latest news on the transfer front involving Fulham emerges

Fulham are reportedly looking to bolster their midfield department before the end of the January transfer window. Everton's Abdoulaye Doucoure is the player who Marco Silva apparently wants.

That's according to Sky Sports (live transfer blog, 23.01.23, 13.45), who claim the Whites are 'keen' on landing the Mali international this winter. He worked with Silva at former club Watford.

However, Fulham are facing a stumbling block in their pursuit of the 30-year-old as Everton are unsure on whether to let him depart as they battle against relegation. In addition, his future will now depend on who the Toffees appoint as their new boss after sacking Frank Lampard.

Joao Palhinha and Harrison Reed have both been in fine form for the Cottagers in the heart of midfield this term but they could do with some more competition in the middle of the park, especially if Josh Onomah departs. Doucoure fits the bill as he is experienced and has proven himself in the Premier League in the past.

It is yet to be known whether the London club will be able to strike a deal to lure him to Craven Cottage. In the meantime, it appears bringing in a right-back is their priority.

Elsewhere, Fulham have been linked with Preston North End midfielder Ben Whiteman. However, in this latest update in the Evening Standard, he is seen as a 'summer target'.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-keen-to-offer-escape-route-to-everton-man-but-stumbling-block-emerges-3999083

WhiteJC

Fulham set to extend Willian's contract
Fulham are preparing to offer Willian a contract extension in recognition of the Brazilian's winger brilliant performances since he joined the club in September.

The 34 year-old moved to Craven Cottage after cancelling his Corinthians contract and has quickly become a regular as Marco Silva's side have stormed to seventh in the Premier League table. The former Chelsea and Arsenal wide man has scored twice and added three assists in fourteen appearances this season with his consistent quality belying his age. Willian memorably opened the scoring against old club as Fulham won their first SW6 derby in seventeen years earlier this month.

Silva had previously suggested that the club would discuss with Willian the potential for a new deal at the end of the season, but the Whites are now working on a one or two-year extension, according to reports from Brazil.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/01/fulham-set-to-extend-willians-contract/

WhiteJC

Fulham open to letting midfielder leave on loan amid previous Chelsea interest

Latest news on the transfer front involving Fulham involves a potentially available player

Fulham are reportedly eager to send highly-rated Luke Harris out on loan before the end of the transfer window. The promising 17-year-old is someone who could head out the exit door to get some experience under his belt.

As detailed in a report by West London Sport, the Cottagers are 'keen' to fix up a new temporary home for the teenager. He is being tipped for a bright future at Craven Cottage.

Fulham were able to the Wales youth international to a long-term contract until the summer of 2025 last September amid links to Chelsea. The Mirror reported that the Blues were interested in luring him to Stamford Bridge but they haven't been able to yet.

Harris, who is from Jersey, has been with the Whites for his whole career to date and has been a regular for them at various youth levels over recent years.

He regularly trains with the first-team and has made four senior appearances to date for Marco Silva's side. However, a loan exit could be in the horizon for him before the deadline next week to help boost his development.

In other Fulham news, Joao Palhinha believed they deserved a result against Tottenham Hotspur last night. He told the club website: "A tough result for us. I think we deserved another result for what we did, especially in the first half. We missed some big opportunities, but we showed our value."

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-open-to-letting-midfielder-leave-on-loan-amid-previous-chelsea-interest-3999588

WhiteJC

Sunderland injury list in full with return dates amid potential double Fulham selection boost

The Black Cats boss will have his work cut out for him when his side travels to Craven Cottage this weekend for their F.A Cup clash.

Sunderland manager Tony Mowbray will have a week to prepare his squad for arguably their toughest test of the season when they face Premier League high-flyers Fulham in the FA Cup fourth round on Saturday.

Despite a fantastic 2-0 win on derby day over rivals Middlesbrough, there were a few that went off and after Mowbray hinted that his side was 'stretched thin' before the clash last week, it could be even worse when they travel down to London to face the Cottagers.

Here's who's been taking up spaces on the Black Cats' injury tables and will miss out against Fulham in the FA Cup fourth round this weekend...

Corry Evans - knee
Evans was subbed off after just 10 minutes in the derby match against Boro, but Mowbray was reluctant to say it was a big deal, and hopes he'll be ok for Saturday's fixture.

What Mowbray said (Jan 22nd): "Corry took a knock on the outside of his knee. Fingers crossed it will be fine. It's the FA Cup next week anyway so we will make a call on Corry, but it's just a knock I think - no damage to cartilage or ligaments.

"Corry is a big player for this team. If you think about the likes of Danny Bath, Corry Evans and Ross Stewart, they have experience and they are surrounded by some young kids. It's important we keep him fit and going in the big games."

Potential return date: 28/01/23

Lynden Gooch - hip
Gooch was missing from the teamsheet in the 2-0 win over Middlesbrough and Mowbray explained after the match that he was suffering from a hip issue.

What Mowbray said (Jan 22nd): "Goochy has a hip flexor problem. I was trying to cajole him two days ago that it would be alright! I've played with a load of hip flexor injuries.

"But the moment I knew he was going for a scan, that was the moment that I knew he probably wasn't going to play. Scans show everything!

"It'll probably be two or three weeks for him, they are saying. Twenty or 30 years ago we never had scans - I got sent to Redcar beach if I had a hip problem and I had to get in the sea past my waist and stand there for 20 minutes, and then I'd be alright for Saturday!

"That's how football used to be. Today, we just have to accept it. It is what it is."

Potential return date: 12/02/23

Alex Pritchard - calf
After attempting to return from a calf issue against Wigan last month, Pritchard was predicted by Mowbray to be back in training this week and could be fit enough for a substitute appearance this weekend.

What Mowbray said (Jan 22nd): "I think Monday is going to be a bright day for us because there will be potentially five players [including Pritchard] coming back for us, putting their boots on and training with the team."

Dennis Cirkin - hip
Cirkin was forced off against Blackburn Rovers on Boxing Day with a hip issue but could also make his return this weekend at Craven Cottage.

What Mowbray said (Jan 22nd): "I think Monday is going to be a bright day for us because there will be potentially five players [including Cirkin] coming back for us, putting their boots on and training with the team."

Elliot Embleton - ankle
Embleton suffered bad ligament damage and a broken ankle in a challenge which saw him get sent off against Hull City. It's unlikely he'll play again this season but Mowbray remains hopeful he'll recover in time to have an impact.

What Mowbray said (Dec 25th): "Elliot is ok - he's a positive and chirpy guy. I think he'll get through his rehab no problem at all, I'm pretty sure.

"It's been a bit up and down for him since I've come in, he's played some and he's missed some. He's a passionate guy who wants to play for this club, and he's talented enough to get in this team. He's got two wonderful feet, it doesn't matter to him which one he shoots from or takes a corner from.

"He'll be positive around the building while he recovers I'm sure of that. Before we know it he'll be back, hopefully he can help us finish off our season and get himself feeling confident."

Potential return date: Unknown

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-injury-list-full-return-26062890

WhiteJC

West Ham's Issa Diop sale looks a mistake with £15m man in top form for Fulham

For the second Premier League game in a row, Fulham found themselves on the wrong end of a tight, tense, one-goal defeat decided by the finest of margins.

It was Aleksandr Mitrovic's scuffed penalty which cost Marco Silva and co at Newcastle while, following Monday's narrow defeat at home to Tottenham Hotspur, the regrets centred around a superb first-half performance during which the hosts failed to turn their dominance into goals.

But the fact that Fulham are in a position where they can feel frustrated at having not bloodied the noses of two top-five clubs – while failing to extend their already-14-point lead over the relegation zone – is testament to the excellent work Marco Silva is doing in West London.

Tim Ream, Kenny Tete, Harrison Reed and Bobby Decordova-Reid are playing the best football of their careers. Summer signings Bernd Leno, Joao Palhinha and Andreas Perreira are going from strength to strength.

What's more, Silva appears to be succeeding where successive West Ham United managers failed; coaxing consistent and ever-improving performances out of one of the division's most enigmatic talents. A man who's vast potential looked destined to always go unfulfilled.

Well, until now, anyway.

West Ham United sold Issa Diop to London rivals Fulham
Issa Diop, against Newcastle and Tottenham, did not deserve to be on the losing side.

In both games, the former Toulouse skipper showcased the awareness, the poise and the strength that marked him out as a potential £60 million talent early on at West Ham. He's starting to put those lapses in concentration behind him too.

In fact, Diop's form has been so impressive that Fulham may now cash in on Tosin Adarabioyo (Fabrizio Romano).

"I am pleased for him," Silva says; demanding even more from a man who has clean sheets in five of his last 10 Fulham starts (Irish News). "But I have to say that he is going to improve more and more.

"He has the capacity to do it. I just want him to believe more in himself because he is a very good defender, first of all. I just want him to believe more in himself, in his abilities and his capacities. Because the room to improve is there.

"He is already important for our football club. But I believe, in the future, he has to be much more important. I believe in him."

'He's very good'
With former employers West Ham suffering their fair share of defensive headaches this season – Craig Dawson leaving for Wolves, Thilo Kehrer out-of-sorts, Kurt Zouma, Angelo Ogbonna and Nayef Aguerd struggling for fitness – questions may soon be asked about the logic of selling Diop to a London and top-flight rival.

Diop is proving, a few miles down the road at Craven Cottage, just how imperious he can be under a coach who trusts him, believes in him and, most importantly of all, starts him on a regular basis.

"He was a target from the moment we started planning for this season," Marco Silva said on Diop's first day as a Fulham player in August. 

"He can play on both sides of our defence. That is really important for us, and that experience, that quality (he has)."

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/01/24/west-hams-issa-diop-sale-looks-a-mistake-with-15m-man-in-top-form-for-fulham/