News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

POST MATCH: Fulham 1-1 Sunderland (FA Cup)

Started by Friendsoffulham, January 28, 2023, 05:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 28, 2023, 06:43:54 PM
Thought we were okay - Rodak honestly plays like he's being controlled by someone with a really dodgy internet connection as he takes about a million years to decide what to do and he kept spilling the ball today. It looked like we needed everything to go by Solomon to create chances because they were terrified of him when he ran at them. Kurzawa was so, so bad defensively, I'm not actually sure he made a tackle all game? He's essentially a wing back that needs 3 CB's to cover him being so far forward I think.

Thought TC struggled to impose himself in the first half but we collectively came out more aggressively in the second half and imposed ourselves much better. Shame Diop made the error as he was good other than that - Tosin was pretty rubbish I thought, he looked lost with the ball at his feet and did his trademark charge upfield to win the ball and got turned inside 10 mins today. With Ream and Robinson playing I don't think they score tbh.

Wilson was better today than he has been but nowhere near Wilson of last season. Got to be Willian and Solomon against Chelsea I think. Thought we also looked worse when Reed came on because we didn't have that true pivot of Palhinha in the middle but that's a minor thing as Silva went aggressive with his subs to win the game. Think we need those rumoured CM signings and we're golden, Cedric can be backup LB for any team that's remotely potent, Kurzawa is probably more suited to slow teams because he's not got Robinson's pace to recover anywhere near as well
Good Post.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Bal_13

Have to admit I agree with above posters - watching Diop and Tosin knock the ball to each other again and again and again was draining and definitely took me back to Parkerball. Being fair, Sunderland were well up for it and almost intimidated the CBs into playing safe it seemed (especially after Diop's nightmare led to the goal)

On the plus side Solomon was exciting, although he felt impressively ineffectual in that he'd beat his man and somehow nothing would come of it - plenty of positives watching him play though.

Vinicius unfortunately completely anonymous - tellingly within a minute of Mitro coming on he was already linking play where Vinicius couldn't.

Seeing a bit of TC magic for the goal was great however. He may not score as often as he used to but he really does have a proclivity to score absolute bangers.

Arthur

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 28, 2023, 07:36:00 PM
Thought we were okay - Rodak honestly plays like he's being controlled by someone with a really dodgy internet connection as he takes about a million years to decide what to do and he kept spilling the ball today. It looked like we needed everything to go by Solomon to create chances because they were terrified of him when he ran at them. Kurzawa was so, so bad defensively, I'm not actually sure he made a tackle all game? He's essentially a wing back that needs 3 CB's to cover him being so far forward I think.

Thought TC struggled to impose himself in the first half but we collectively came out more aggressively in the second half and imposed ourselves much better. Shame Diop made the error as he was good other than that - Tosin was pretty rubbish I thought, he looked lost with the ball at his feet and did his trademark charge upfield to win the ball and got turned inside 10 mins today. With Ream and Robinson playing I don't think they score tbh.

Wilson was better today than he has been but nowhere near Wilson of last season. Got to be Willian and Solomon against Chelsea I think. Thought we also looked worse when Reed came on because we didn't have that true pivot of Palhinha in the middle but that's a minor thing as Silva went aggressive with his subs to win the game. Think we need those rumoured CM signings and we're golden, Cedric can be backup LB for any team that's remotely potent, Kurzawa is probably more suited to slow teams because he's not got Robinson's pace to recover anywhere near as well

Good Post.

Agree - good post. I concur almost entirely. (The only point I would contest is that Sunderland wouldn't have scored had Ream and Robinson played; neither could have rescued the situation following Diop's error.)

I was hoping Silva would bring on Robinson at half-time as Pat Roberts clearly had the beating of Kurzawa. I think we can count ourselves extremely lucky not to have fallen further behind in the early stages of the second-half as Pat created a string of chances for the Black Cats. I fear for our chances in the replay if Kurzawa starts. (And I would prefer Ream to Tosin, too.)

Solomon has rightly been praised on this forum this evening, but I would also like to highlight Kenny Tete's contribution. Ask Sunderland fans who their best winger is and I'd wager they'd say the lad Clarke. Yet all Sunderland's threat was with Roberts along the opposite flank. As has been the case often this season, Kenny simply snuffed out his man.

HV71

Very, very sensible and measured posts above . I would like to add that we lost something when TC was substituted as he was much better in the second half. Thank god Tete was playing as he made some crucial interceptions and tackles today.

SP

ChesterTheTabby

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

TheCeiling

Only one worry I had about Solomon post the knee injury was he would loss some pace and burst, and man, he looked really good in this aspect. Thought he alongside Pereira was the MOM. I just wish we could involve him much more. You could feel any time he touched it something can happen, especially when he was isolated 1v1. For me him and Willian are our starters from now on. Two players who are creative and passing/goal threat, with Manor having the advantage of elite burst ans speed on tight areas.

On the other side, as people mentioned here I really didn't like our passing game between the defenders. They were so shaky on ball. Plus I thought Rodak, despite some good saves, didn't bring comfort feeling the way Leno does.

I believe we'll finish our job at Sunderland.

Exciting about the Chelsea game. Let's beat them away !

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Jims Dentist on January 28, 2023, 05:57:09 PM
The two twin towers are both really shaky without Ream alongside either one.
Not just defensively but passing out from the back
Tim's influence just can't  be underestimated.
Our build up play suffers when Harrison R is not playing, he quickens the pace as well as breaking up opponents breaks.

Yes. The Tosin - Diop pairing just does not look comfortable for either player.

WolverineFFC

Agree on Kurzawa. His defensive play was very, very weak. He has a good cross on him, but I do think he slows the play too much like you mention. Such a departure from Robinson's forward driving. I wish Robinson had come on so we could have seen what a left side with Solomon and him would have looked like. It has the potential to really tilt a defense to their side because of the pace.

SerbianLad

Quote from: WolverineFFC on January 28, 2023, 09:55:44 PM

Agree on Kurzawa. His defensive play was very, very weak. He has a good cross on him, but I do think he slows the play too much like you mention. Such a departure from Robinson's forward driving. I wish Robinson had come on so we could have seen what a left side with Solomon and him would have looked like. It has the potential to really tilt a defense to their side because of the pace.
I thought Kurzawa was very good in defence against Newcastle but pretty poor in attack. On the other hand today, as many have noted, the reverse has been the case. I think it may be down to fitness? Maybe if he improves his fitness further he could be effective in both parts of the game in the same match.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: SerbianLad on January 28, 2023, 09:58:10 PM

I thought Kurzawa was very good in defence against Newcastle but pretty poor in attack. On the other hand today, as many have noted, the reverse has been the case. I think it may be down to fitness? Maybe if he improves his fitness further he could be effective in both parts of the game in the same match.

Possibly. I have a feeling this may be why he fell out of favor at PSG though. His performances may be too inconsistent to command a starting position.

SerbianLad

Quote from: WolverineFFC on January 28, 2023, 10:11:41 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on January 28, 2023, 09:58:10 PM

Possibly. I have a feeling this may be why he fell out of favor at PSG though. His performances may be too inconsistent to command a starting position.
Agreed.

HatterDon

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on January 28, 2023, 05:05:15 PM
About as exciting as a 1-1 draw gets. Both extremely lucky not to lose that, and extremely unlucky not to win it. Let's go into the replay full strength, they've earned that respect.

Could not imagine a better match review!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TC's Sporran

i was watching a different game to you general,  i noticed pereira get dispossessed twice in the space of two minutes, his passing wasnt very good at times and he opted for the shot one time with players in better positions. he was unlucky with the shot saved on the line. but as for not putting a foot wrong...