watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We look Stale

Started by Rambler, January 28, 2023, 04:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambler

Regardless of the poor performance this afternoon, I think over the past 3 games we have struggled to create any meaningful chances.
We had a 30 minute spell of good intensity against spurs but otherwise the football has been slow and predictable, playing in front of the opposition.

We really could do with some new signings as I think there are some tired bodies and minds and Silva really needs to think of a plan B when plan A isn't working.

Caedal

I think it's a squad depth issue. Generally we look much better, and more effective when we play fast. When we play in first gear, and move the ball slowly we are extremely easy to play against as we're pretty 1 dimensional this season.

We need far more from the wide players aswell.

jayffc

Quote from: Rambler on January 28, 2023, 04:53:32 PM
Regardless of the poor performance this afternoon, I think over the past 3 games we have struggled to create any meaningful chances.
We had a 30 minute spell of good intensity against spurs but otherwise the football has been slow and predictable, playing in front of the opposition.

We really could do with some new signings as I think there are some tired bodies and minds and Silva really needs to think of a plan B when plan A isn't working.

Eh?
Were you watching the same game?

Tons of chances created just didn't take them today and their GK was very good.
Today the issue was our defence.

We started a largely changed side. Without Ream or Robinson our defense wasn't as good but not gonna ready much more into that

Bassey the warrior

We need to start Solomon, he was the only dangerous player in the starting line up today and looked great. Get him in for Reid who is doing well but not posing enough of a threat.

Somerset Fulham

Rambler

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on January 28, 2023, 05:02:14 PM
Oh here we go.

Not really. Just saying it how I see it. Yes the defence was awful today but overall the last couple of games we've struggled to create many goal scoring opportunities.
Leicester - we clung on.
Chelsea - scraped it thanks to the sending off. Chelsea likely would have won if it was 11 v 11
Newcastle - created nothing. Lost.
Tottenham - decent first 30 minutes but lacked cutting edge. Once they went 1-0 they just sat back and we couldn't do anything incisive. Lost
Today - defence let us down.

Somerset Fulham

Or we have taken six points from twelve, pushed the inform team in the division until the last minute and had a poor outing against another team favoured to be in the top four this season.

Seven changes today meant that things were always going to be a little disjointed and yet we still should probably have won comfortably.

DucatiFFC

I do think we need more quality on the bench , no sign at the moment of a 'super sub' who may change the game. This was the bench against Spurs , would any of them get in another Prem team ?

RODAK, KURZAWA, TOSIN, CHALOBAH, CAIRNEY, JAMES,
WILSON, SOLOMON, VINICIUS

SerbianLad

We lost 1-0 in two tight games against two top 6 sides. Today we drew with a very good, young and hungry Championship side with a rotated squad. Newcastle lost against League 1 Sheffield Wednesday in the last round, things like this can happen. I'm not worried just yet.

Deeping_white

Quote from: DucatiFFC on January 28, 2023, 05:43:18 PM
I do think we need more quality on the bench , no sign at the moment of a 'super sub' who may change the game. This was the bench against Spurs , would any of them get in another Prem team ?

If you genuinely watched the game today and don't think Solomon starts for more than half the PL then I don't know what to say

KJS

Cracking Cup tie could have gone either way, Sunderland came to make a game of it and did a better job than Spurs in playing entertaining football, Solomon was outstanding👌

jayffc

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 28, 2023, 06:17:41 PM
Quote from: DucatiFFC on January 28, 2023, 05:43:18 PM

If you genuinely watched the game today and don't think Solomon starts for more than half the PL then I don't know what to say

Yes
Many of them would be good enough for other prem teams benches - a number of them have played for other prem teams or been squad players - Solomon on form would walk into a number of teams starting 11's. Not that we can't upgrade still but one step at a time. We're doing just fine.

Quote from: Rambler on January 28, 2023, 05:31:22 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on January 28, 2023, 05:02:14 PM
Oh here we go.

Not really. Just saying it how I see it. Yes the defence was awful today but overall the last couple of games we've struggled to create many goal scoring opportunities.
Leicester - we clung on.
Chelsea - scraped it thanks to the sending off. Chelsea likely would have won if it was 11 v 11
Newcastle - created nothing. Lost.
Tottenham - decent first 30 minutes but lacked cutting edge. Once they went 1-0 they just sat back and we couldn't do anything incisive. Lost
Today - defence let us down.

Now go back and read the names of the teams we played.

We beat Leicester
We beat Chelsea (without Mitrovic!)
We lost to spurs by 1 goal n a game there parked the bus. (5th in the table)
and lost to Newcastle (3rd in the table)

today we created a ton of chances against easier opposition and should have scored a number - it was the defense that was the issue.

So all in all - we didn't create as much against 2 teams in the top 5 and Liecester (a game we still won) and you're saying we've gone stale
It really ain't that deep man we just played decent teams and still did ok against them imo

Luka

We just need another striker option.
Mitro can't be our only option and Vini just can't cut it I'm sorry to say. We need another plan of attack other than just lump it to another Mitro'sh  type striker.
We play rhe same way every game but look stale because we have no plan B upfront.

jayffc

Quote from: Luka on January 28, 2023, 07:45:32 PM
Mitro can't be our only option and Vini just can't cut it I'm sorry to say. We need another plan of attack other than just lump it to another Mitro'sh  type striker.
We play rhe same way every game but look stale because we have no plan B upfront.

Do agree here
Tough to convince a decent striker to join through to be honest knowing they are very unlikely to be number 1 as our play is designed around Mitro means we go for a similar but not as good backup as that's best we can get.

I suppose the big hope is that Stansfield or Harris can step up next year (Muniz it's looking a bit bleak for at the moment) .

Jay currently has 9 goal contributions in 22 appearances for Exeter, not bad for a 20 year old but not huge numbers either.

davew

Exactly, if Mitro gets injured we will plummet down the table, fortunately with points in the bank already we will stay up!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

jayffc

Quote from: davew on January 28, 2023, 07:51:22 PM

Exactly, if Mitro gets injured we will plummet down the table, fortunately with points in the bank already we will stay up!

Many teams would likely drop down the table a bit if their top record-breaking goal scorer got injured for an extended period. The issue for us is convincing someone to join us as a smaller prem club that's willing to sit on the bench. Hard for a club that plays 1 up top like us to convince a great CF to play 2nd fiddle.
You're best chance of getting a good backup option is gambling on an upcoming prospect who doesn't mean less game time... or finding a player who can play in other positions not just up top so they have more chance of game time out wide for instance

hovewhite

Quote from: jayffc on January 28, 2023, 07:55:58 PM
Quote from: davew on January 28, 2023, 07:51:22 PM

Many teams would likely drop down the table a bit if their top record-breaking goal scorer got injured for an extended period. The issue for us is convincing someone to join us as a smaller prem club that's willing to sit on the bench. Hard for a club that plays 1 up top like us to convince a great CF to play 2nd fiddle.
You're best chance of getting a good backup option is gambling on an upcoming prospect who doesn't mean less game time... or finding a player who can play in other positions not just up top so they have more chance of game time out wide for instance

we have got one Muniz who might as well be at fulham.

filham

rather nice Tom Cairney goal today but we need motre than that in three matches,
It seems that unless Mitro is fully fit and in form we are unlikely to score. More bite is needed up front,

fancyfeet4

I agree. Of course against Sunderland at home you are going to create chances, but the eye test for me things just feel a bit stale.  I think things are starting to regress that touch (not predicting a freefall or anything like that) as it would be hard for 4-5 guys to play at this level of the season.

I have noticed Willian and Ream look not as great as they did in the fall.  Mitro isnt having the same level of effectiveness in the box.  BDR isnt popping up with that odd goal and even guys like Palhinha and Reed just aren't moving like they did 3 months ago. 

Again, not predicting a freefall or anything like that, but from what I have seen, we arent as sharp in our passing, movement, and cutting edge in the final third. 

RaySmith

Last season we had a period when we seemed as if we were losing it - but came back, with the same players, and the same is likely true this year, though the club is apparently making efforts to strengthen the squad.

Players aren't robots, so individuals and team will have down periods, and this was always going to be a tough game - a hiding to nothing, but we fought back to draw - shows the players' and  manager's  commitment.