watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ex-pat thinking

Started by FC Silver Fox, January 11, 2011, 08:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC Silver Fox

It was a big moment for me when I realised I've spent more years of my life in France than in my native UK.  Anyone else had the same feeling?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Steve_orino

I thought I felt a tremble...

I'll get me coat.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

GoldCoastWhite

Vey much so Foxy, I've only spent 12 years of my 49 years in the old country, but still feel a strong affinity with England and if I weren't hearing so many gloomy economic reports I'd like to spend a few more years there. But Oz has treated me well so I'll settle for occasional visits for the time being.  (I reckon the old Cork Head is approaching a 50/50 split these days ???)

Logicalman

Yep Foxy, agreed.
I've only spent 25% of my life here in the US, and I do still miss quite a lot about the auld country, but, as GCW said, my new home country has treated me well. Nothing will ever take the London out of me, but almost purely for economic reasons, the UK has not a lot left to offer those of us abroad now, I am very sorry to say.

Snibbo

Your post made me realise that the same applies to me. I'm nearly 58, and left U.K. when I was, I think, 25. Been in Australia for 23 years now, and in between in Ireland, Zimbabwe and Malawi.  Though I am still emotionally attached (somewhat unhealthily I sometimes think) to Fulham, I think I'd struggle to settle back in England.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Snibbo on June 13, 2011, 06:39:46 AM
Your post made me realise that the same applies to me. I'm nearly 58, and left U.K. when I was, I think, 25. Been in Australia for 23 years now, and in between in Ireland, Zimbabwe and Malawi.  Though I am still emotionally attached (somewhat unhealthily I sometimes think) to Fulham, I think I'd struggle to settle back in England.
Sorry you made a mistake, you meant to say Rhodesia (i may have made  mistake in the spelling  :doh: )

finnster01

I can't compare my tenure as an ex-pat to you gents, but I have massively travelled the world for over 20 years (tried to strictly limit it though through Mon-Fri so I wouldn't miss any quality time with my daughter and ehrrrm...Fulham)

Now that I am a proud owner of a US green card and call New York my home I think I have become more English than ever. Go figure. Very strange that. But would I move back? Highly unlikely. The yanks have treated me extremely well and although life here is no walk in the park, I wouldn't swap it for anything in the world. so to all you Americans out there a big  :clap_hands: from me
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on June 16, 2011, 10:18:48 AM
Now that I am a proud owner of a US green card and call New York my home I think I have become more English than ever. Go figure. Very strange that. But would I move back? Highly unlikely. The yanks have treated me extremely well and although life here is no walk in the park, I wouldn't swap it for anything in the world. so to all you Americans out there a big  :clap_hands: from me

:wine:   couldn't agree more Finn, well said   078.gif

FatFreddysCat

I'm very proud of being English, sorry a Londoner as i have little in common with our Northern cousins (Rambling Syd excluded), but i will one day become an expat myself, i believe England even London is fecked, cant wait to become a foriegner myself, and no i wont be going for a council house and claiming for a hundred kids  :014:

jarv

I have been here in America for 23 years. Two things make me feel at home. In London, when I get on the tube at Heathrow. In Scotland, when I am on the ferry from Wemyss bay to Rothesay. Both shout loudly "home".
Will I come back? Never say never but I doubt it. two grown children, one born here so I expect to be near them.
One thing for sure, could never afford to live in London, so the only option is back to the western isles.