watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Onomah and Chalobah depart!

Started by Mince n Tatties, January 30, 2023, 03:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambridge Away

I always liked Josh Onomah. Once he got going he was brilliant. Like we are seeing with Harry Wilson, when you are out of the team for a prolonged period it is hard to get up a head of steam again. He came across well as a footballer and player. All the best to the lad. I am sure he will do well and possibly still make it as a Prem player with the right momentum

Surlyc

When he got a run of games at the end of 2019/early 2020, he started to look like a really capable footballer. Then he had knee surgery and never looked the same.

All the best in your future endeavours Josh, we'll always remember that goal against Cardiff!

FulhamForThought

Good luck to him! The first 3 goals in the video on the offal bring back good memories.

Pretty much agree with all that's been said. A decent player, and an asset to any championship team if he gets going. Perhaps he'll make it as a prem regular one day in the future - couldn't really see it being with us ever since Parker left - but that's not to say he doesn't have it in him.

Milo

Think people are being quite kind to Onomah. He was always quite a limited player. I think he best suits a team in the lower half of the Championship or upper League 1.

I wish him well. Hope it works out for him!

Blawarmy

Are we signing 2 midfielders then?

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

LC

Quote from: Blawarmy on January 31, 2023, 04:57:30 PM

If we sign 1 midfielder then we have 4 midfielders which is plenty I think.

The reality is that Onomah and Chabolah were never really options for us to use, so in my view, bringing in 1 quality midfielder will increase our depth

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Milo on January 31, 2023, 04:54:12 PM
Think people are being quite kind to Onomah. He was always quite a limited player. I think he best suits a team in the lower half of the Championship or upper League 1.

I wish him well. Hope it works out for him!

He had his moments, not too many but some. Chalobah however.

Sgt Fulham

Two very different cases. Josh is a confidence player and blew hot and cold (mostly cold) but never lacked the effort. He was massive for us in the playoffs and his goal against Cardiff won't be forgotten. Its a shame it didn't work out, but he's a top half Championship starter for sure.

Chalobah looked great on his debut but never again reached those heights. The effort was there but he always stood out as below the level of the rest of the team, even in the Championship. His red card against Newcastle will sadly be one of his most memorable contributions, but he seems like a decent bloke and always remained professional.

Thanks to both and best of luck. Whatever you may think they played their part in of some of the most memorable and successful seasons we have had in recent times.

Surlyc

Quote from: LC on January 31, 2023, 05:15:52 PM

The reality is that Onomah and Chabolah were never really options for us to use, so in my view, bringing in 1 quality midfielder will increase our depth
How are you defining midfielders here? If Lukic has signed, we will have 5 central midfielders (Pereira, Reed, Paulinha, Cairney & Lukic) in a system that consistently plays 3. All it takes is one injury and we are at the bare minimum (3 starters & 1 sub).

Perhaps Silva is comfortable that our swiss army knife (Bobby Reid) can play there as well!

SerbianLad

Quote from: Surlyc on January 31, 2023, 05:51:17 PM

How are you defining midfielders here? If Lukic has signed, we will have 5 central midfielders (Pereira, Reed, Paulinha, Cairney & Lukic) in a system that consistently plays 3. All it takes is one injury and we are at the bare minimum (3 starters & 1 sub).

Perhaps Silva is comfortable that our swiss army knife (Bobby Reid) can play there as well!
Well unless all three of Palhinha, Reed and Lukic are unavailable we should be fine. If two of those three are out, Andreas can drop deeper and play with one of the three I mentioned and then we can have Solomon, Willian or Wilson play as a "10". If one of them is out it's even easier.

LC

Quote from: Surlyc on January 31, 2023, 05:51:17 PM

Paliniha, Reed, Cairney and Lukic.

Andreas plays in a number 10 role just off of Mitrovic. BDR can play that role if needs be, Cairney can also play that in the number 10 role. Andreas, is not a central midfielder nor does he play there, although I have no doubt he could play there if required.

After Lukic, it's not a position we should be spending money on. If we're talking about depth then we desperately need a back up right back, and an good alternative to Mitrovic

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

bahay18

I can only wish Onomah all the best . Definitely a player in there as we saw on occasion and I thought he started last season brightly too. But for whatever reason , it wasn't to be .