watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A Sunderland hindsight

Started by General, January 30, 2023, 03:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Watched back the highlights from the Fulham youtube and the Emirates FA cup page and then also checked out the strength of both teams.

Sunderland did do better than I thought, but on reflection we also had a lot of chances to bury the match beforehand and on any other day could've won.

I also coupled that with the realisation of the strength of the sunderland team (work rate, team bond and familiarity of playing one another) vs ours which had 4 first team starters in Diop, Pereira, Tete and Palhinha and think perhaps the reaction post match was a bit harsh on the players and how we did.

Emirates highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck-puCGSPJE

Fulham highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0uPRmrtC4

Sunderland Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQj0nwFWmZI

Tosin's free header into the ground, Pereira's volley saved off the line, BDR's shoulder attempt near their goal line, Willian's volley saved acrobatically and Palhinha's header too. I'd put those in the bracket, almost, of being glaring opportunities.

Considering the only goal they actually scored against what was a makeshift team for us was due to a lapse from our own player, we hardly did that badly. On another day we could've comfortably won.

If we do start with a full strength 11, then I can't help but think the game would've been done and dusted then, regardless of how excited Sunderland fans are about how they knicked it. Key thing for us is we didn't lose, which is the professional thing to do if you don't win. Sunderland did do well, but all things considered it could've easily been a different and better story for us.

AJW48361

Sunderland well worth a Replay.Thought they were great going forward although we were very slack defensively.

filham

Those 6,00o fans at the Putney end gave Sunderland a lot of support, imagine what it will be like with their fans behind them at Sunderland.

We really are missing a goal scorer without Mitro.

EN1 FFC

Quote from: General on January 30, 2023, 03:03:53 PM
Emirates highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck-puCGSPJE

Fulham highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0uPRmrtC4

Sunderland Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQj0nwFWmZI

Tosin's free header into the ground, Pereira's volley saved off the line, BDR's shoulder attempt near their goal line, Willian's volley saved acrobatically and Palhinha's header too. I'd put those in the bracket, almost, of being glaring opportunities.

Strange how the FFCTV doesn't show the Pereira volley cleared off the line or (Palhinha's header,) either in it's short clip or the extended highlights version, but the Sunderland Highlights do show the Pereira clearance.

Thailand Mick

I don't think you have taken in to account that Sunderland were missing players through injury and suspension and only had one recognised striker who was taken off injured. Tosins chance was a sitter and the defender did great to stop pereira's shot but I don't think the keeper made any worldy saves just good saves that he would expect to make. I do agree that if Mitro had started I think we would have won because vinicious was so poor. We still have a good opportunity to progress but we must play full strength and be positive in possession not negative like on Saturday.

Hugh Gentry

I think something to consider is that Sunderlands away form is better than their home form, maybe they prefer to play on the break and not so much in the soulless SoL

Mr White

Sunderland are going to be well up for this now with a potential home tie against Leeds.

kiwian

Only watched the first half as the 90mins video wasn't available for a couple of days over here. Even though I knew the result I enjoyed most of it, but was puzzled why GJ kept referring to Rodak as Leno!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Mickeyboro

I refuse to call it the Emirates FA Cup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

General

Quote from: Thailand Mick on January 31, 2023, 02:38:58 AM
I don't think you have taken in to account that Sunderland were missing players through injury and suspension and only had one recognised striker who was taken off injured. Tosins chance was a sitter and the defender did great to stop pereira's shot but I don't think the keeper made any worldy saves just good saves that he would expect to make. I do agree that if Mitro had started I think we would have won because vinicious was so poor. We still have a good opportunity to progress but we must play full strength and be positive in possession not negative like on Saturday.

I went through their previous run and also the lineups for those games and saw a lot of consistency with squad selection. Much more than just 4 players.

Thailand Mick

Quote from: General on January 31, 2023, 08:34:15 AM

I went through their previous run and also the lineups for those games and saw a lot of consistency with squad selection. Much more than just 4 players.
just for reference they didn't have Corey Evans (I believe he maybe there captain) Alex Pritchard (used to play for us) Dennis Cirkin, Elliot Embleton and Luke Onien. They have now lost Stewart for the replay and the players they have bought in are ineligible to play in the replay.

Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Thailand Mick on January 31, 2023, 11:32:29 AM

just for reference they didn't have Corey Evans (I believe he maybe there captain) Alex Pritchard (used to play for us) Dennis Cirkin, Elliot Embleton and Luke Onien. They have now lost Stewart for the replay and the players they have bought in are ineligible to play in the replay.
I don't think that Alex Pritchard ever played for us?

Shredhead

There were a couple of times in the second half when BDR had a chance on goal but left it/passed to Mitro when I think he should have shot.  Mitro cannot ALWAYS be the source of our goals.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Thailand Mick

Quote from: Alec of good Stock on January 31, 2023, 12:21:32 PM
Quote from: Thailand Mick on January 31, 2023, 11:32:29 AM

I don't think that Alex Pritchard ever played for us?
you are correct, I don't know where I got that from, old age lol