watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Greening on his way?

Started by WhiteJC, January 12, 2011, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6659078,00.html?

Mowbray eyes old boy
Greening linked with former club

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray is considering a move to bring Jonathan Greening back to the club, skysports.com understands.

Mowbray and Greening know each other well from their time together at West Brom.

Greening was a key part of the Baggies side under Mowbray, and he fits ideally into his footballing philosophy.

The 32-year-old is also familiar with The Riverside having played for Boro for three years before switching to West Brom under Mowbray in 2004.

Greening is currently with Fulham, who he joined on a permanent deal last summer following a successful loan spell.

However, under Mark Hughes Greening has found his chances limited and could be tempted by a move back to his native North East.

Boro, though, are likely to have to move people on before considering a bid for Greening.

Whilst Bolton continue to talk with David Wheater about a potential deal, it is also understood that Gary O'Neil is attracting fresh interest with Wolves the latest side to be linked.

Middlesbrough are also considering a number of other former players with both Andrew Davies and Jeremie Aliadiere due to play for the club's reserves this week with a view to sealing moves back to the club.

Mido is also back training with the Teesside club following his departure from Ajax, but the chances of him playing for Boro again appear remote.

Mr Fulham

Yes, if they give us Gary O'Neil in exchange!

chez

I would not loose sleep if this turned out to be true.

BalDrick

He and Mowbray are just one of those pairs who like to work together - as above, I wouldn't lose sleep if he went at all. No idea who they've got for an exchange, they could always pay cash...
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Bilet

...how much do you think we can get for him? I'm guessing around 3m? He's on a long time contract and proven at Championship-level. If Middlesborough sell O'Neill they surely will also have alot to offer regarding wages....

BalDrick

Not sure but on a wider point, think we can safely say Greening's one of those players who fall into the too-good-for-the-Championship-not-good-enough-for-the-Prem bracket can't we?

Jimpav

Quote from: BalDrick on January 12, 2011, 02:28:01 PM
Not sure but on a wider point, think we can safely say Greening's one of those players who fall into the too-good-for-the-Championship-not-good-enough-for-the-Prem bracket can't we?

You can indeed.

OldBrownShoe

Agreed, just like the Baggies!
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

AlFayedsChequebook

I like Greening, he takes a lot of flack but does not do much wrong.

But if Middlesborough did come in for him I would not be disappointed to see him on his way.

TonyGilroy

I also like Greening.

Given the lack of first team action it took bottle to come on against Peterborough and in 20 minutes set up two goals and then score one.

Like Baird before him he's been the target of message board vitriol despite having an exemplary attitude.

I hope he stays but suspect he'll go to Middlesborough and likely get them promoted next year. It would also explain Dikachoi's contract extension.

SmithyFFC

:yay: Stoor gone, Greening maybe going, Sparkys defiantley clearing the deadwood.
FTID

Mr Fulham

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on January 12, 2011, 04:19:46 PM
:yay: Stoor gone, Greening maybe going, Sparkys defiantley clearing the deadwood.

I think we should keep Greening. He's a decent Premier League-proven midfielder with loads of experience. He doesn't get injured to often and doesn't moan when he doesn't play.

As TonyGilroy said, he has a great attitude.

I'd only let him go if we get a replacement - someone like Adam or O'Neil....

finnster01

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on January 12, 2011, 04:19:46 PM
Still a lot left in the cupboard for you to fill up the car mate  :011:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

richie17

No, he's fine for the Premiership, but the standards people judge by are too high.    Players like Greening are vital to all but the biggest clubs, he can slot in and the team loses very little, he can start a series of games in a vital position and make meaningful contributions.   Almost never gives the ball away, wins tackles, can play a few positions as well.   

Tom

Please let this be true.  :yay: :yay: :yay:
Fulham for life!

BalDrick

Quote from: richie17 on January 12, 2011, 04:29:37 PM

No, he's fine for the Premiership, but the standards people judge by are too high.    Players like Greening are vital to all but the biggest clubs, he can slot in and the team loses very little, he can start a series of games in a vital position and make meaningful contributions.   Almost never gives the ball away, wins tackles, can play a few positions as well.   

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. But even being generous, for me he's a passenger - something we've had too many of this season, all waiting for someone to make something happen. Players we have who can do that are probably Dempsey (on occasion) and Murphy - nobody else springs to mind. Davies gives the impression he could but never quite does. Duff at a very big push. Now it's not Greening's fault per se that he hasn't played alongside one of those types of players, but the position he plays in, you're looking for him to at least try to make something happen. And he simply doesn't. I wasn't at the Posh game; you may well reply and say he did against them. Well if you do, my reply is that that rather makes my point that he's not a Prem player.

SmithyFFC

Are sure your talking about our Greening?

'Almost never gives the ball away, wins tackles, can play a few positions as well.'

Wasteful in possession and a walking yellow card
FTID

richie17

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on January 12, 2011, 04:58:49 PM

Are sure your talking about our Greening?

'Almost never gives the ball away, wins tackles, can play a few positions as well.'

Wasteful in possession and a walking yellow card

Not true.  89% of his passes this year have been to Fulham players - nobody else is even close.    You can argue all you like about the type of passes he makes, and you'd have half a point, but to say he's wasteful is just wrong.   Most of Xavi's passes aren't very interesting either, but there's a lot to be said for keeping possession, and Greening excels at it.

richie17

Quote from: BalDrick on January 12, 2011, 04:52:26 PM

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. But even being generous, for me he's a passenger - something we've had too many of this season, all waiting for someone to make something happen. Players we have who can do that are probably Dempsey (on occasion) and Murphy - nobody else springs to mind. Davies gives the impression he could but never quite does. Duff at a very big push. Now it's not Greening's fault per se that he hasn't played alongside one of those types of players, but the position he plays in, you're looking for him to at least try to make something happen. And he simply doesn't. I wasn't at the Posh game; you may well reply and say he did against them. Well if you do, my reply is that that rather makes my point that he's not a Prem player.

That's sort of my point though:  how dominant are we expecting the fourth choice centre-midfielder in the 14th placed team to be?

Burt

Interesting how divided our opinions are on him.

Telling in itself really.

He rarely impresses and you never really feel that with him in the side we are going to win... I agree with the comment above that he is probably inbetween premiership and championship standard.