watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR -- World Class Players

Started by HatterDon, January 12, 2011, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

In a post last night, I commented that every English goalkeeper barring Hart and Mr. Stockdale were over-rated. It got me to wondering how many current English players could be considered World Class today. Disclaimer: The USA have NEVER produced a World Class Player. The closest we have come, in my opinion, was the Brad Freidel of 1998-2006.

My first year watching football was 1966. It's fair to say that there were several World Class English players at that period: Bobby Charlton, Johnny Haynes, Bobby Moore, and Gordon Banks leap to mind. In the intervening years, there have been several English players that have taken the world by storm, but now ... I submit that England has only two players who could improve EVERY squad they came into -- Steven Gerrard and [face it, you know it's true] Ashley Cole. As a matter of fact, regardless of the horror of a human being he is, Cashley is probably the best left back in the world right now.

The ONLY player even close to joining these two as World Class [in my eyes, at least] is Rio Ferdinand. The other "usual suspects" Lumpalard, Rooney, etc. are very good players on their day, but not close to World Class.

Your views?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

I'd pick Lampard over Gerrard every day of the week. And other than needing a little attitude adjustment therapy, I think Rooney would also fit into any World XI. I can't think of any others though.

A new contender to the ranks of 'World Class' has to be Gareth Bale. That guy is fecking exceptional.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

BalDrick

Has to be (grudgingly) said, Cashley is different gravy. Would still like to see some top English players chancing their arm abroad.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ImperialWhite

How do you define 'world class'? Does that mean being able to fit into a world XI, or a 23 man world squad?

Because by either definition, Hart and Stockdale don't fit in my view (oops - edit - re-read your post, you didn't say that they were world class, just that other English 'keepers are overrate).

Cashley and Rooney are world class, I think.

AlFayedsChequebook

Gerrard, Lampard, Cole and Rooney pre-meltdown are world class players. I would also add Rio Ferdinand to the mix albeit he has had his injury troubles of late.

One player who often gets forgotten in these circumstances, and is probably no longer World Class to be fair, is Paul Scholes. He was an exceptional player throughout his career. He is everything that Beckham isn't - Technically gifted, grafting, attention dodging honest player. The only change I would make would be to his tackling.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 12, 2011, 03:50:07 PM
Gerrard, Lampard, Cole and Rooney pre-meltdown are world class players. I would also add Rio Ferdinand to the mix albeit he has had his injury troubles of late.

One player who often gets forgotten in these circumstances, and is probably no longer World Class to be fair, is Paul Scholes. He was an exceptional player throughout his career. He is everything that Beckham isn't - Technically gifted, grafting, attention dodging honest player. The only change I would make would be to his tackling.

Do you read FourFourTwo? In an interview with 'the world's best players' in the latest edition, Alonso says he thinks Scholes is the most underated player in England (and that he'd be appreciated much more in Spain).

finnster01

As much as I hate to admit it, the only world class player we have is Gerrard but he has began to act silly but I take him in a nano second over Lumpard any day. The rest is crap.

Gareth Bale is not English, but is world class.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

jarv

Rooney is a modern day malcolm macDonald. Not world class.
Lampard definitely not! Disappears for long periods in games, scores because he is surrounded by very good players. Doesn't for England because he is not. So, Lampard is a modern day John Wark when he was at Ipswich.

Agree Gerrard and Cole (begrudgingly). On the fence with Ferdinand. A sort of O'Leary/Hansen type, excellent but not world class.

Thought long and hard (30 seconds) for other names....none spring to mind.  Charlie Adam maybe! :011:

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on January 12, 2011, 03:53:05 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 12, 2011, 03:50:07 PM

Do you read FourFourTwo? In an interview with 'the world's best players' in the latest edition, Alonso says he thinks Scholes is the most underated player in England (and that he'd be appreciated much more in Spain).

I do occasionally but have not seen the latest issue. Glad Alonso agrees with me!  :011:

All I will say is, enjoy:

Paul Scholes: Control, Touches, Passing

Edit: Just Realised that most of this video is him humiliating Fulham! Oh Well.

jarv

Mr. Alf, funny that about him scoring against Fulham. many years ago I bought a videa, match of the day, the 70s. Great stuff. After watching it several times it became clear that a huge percentage of goals shown were against West ham. :wine:

The Equalizer

Quote from: jarv on January 12, 2011, 04:00:21 PM
So, Lampard is a modern day John Wark when he was at Ipswich.

Yeah, and John Wark beat the Nazis, so I guess your point is that Lampard is World Class?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

MJG

I do belive that Gerrard is really overrated, he can be one of the most lazy players around...watch every goal against Germany and look for him busting a gut to defend..not.
Cole is the one player we have who week in week out produces.
Rooney on his day,but those days have almost vanished.