News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Did Al-Fayed ever rip off the fans with ticket prices?

Started by Take Me Home MAF, February 14, 2023, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Take Me Home MAF

I have been going to Fulham since just before Tigana's first season - with the recent ticket increases, and the Leeds pricing fiasco it has led me to thinking whether we ever had had these issues with MAF?

From memory I can't remember a point where there was a mood that the ticket pricing disproportionate like it is at the moment.

Interested to see if anyone can remember examples, or if it was as rosy as I remember. There were always lots of "kids for a quid", discounted cup games etc. -  which were a great incentives for people.

I know if MAF had his way we would have been been on the site of Westfield now, so not everything he got right. But I feel with tickets he did.

Some people moan about the Khan's not being celebrated with a song etc. I think they have really torched chances of that over the ticket prices. Leeds should have been £20 and a real atmosphere.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Take Me Home MAF on February 14, 2023, 11:54:48 AM
I have been going to Fulham since just before Tigana's first season - with the recent ticket increases, and the Leeds pricing fiasco it has led me to thinking whether we ever had had these issues with MAF?

From memory I can't remember a point where there was a mood that the ticket pricing disproportionate like it is at the moment.

Interested to see if anyone can remember examples, or if it was as rosy as I remember. There were always lots of "kids for a quid", discounted cup games etc. -  which were a great incentives for people.

I know if MAF had his way we would have been been on the site of Westfield now, so not everything he got right. But I feel with tickets he did.

Some people moan about the Khan's not being celebrated with a song etc. I think they have really torched chances of that over the ticket prices. Leeds should have been £20 and a real atmosphere.
...with it being on the TV it makes little sense charging £40... but lets see if the crowds agree?.... the gate will answer...
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Andy S

When you look at what players are being paid high prices are not surprising. The new stand has to be paid for somehow. So let's just put it into proportion a little bit. While fans flock to the ground there is little reason not to put prices up

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Andy S on February 14, 2023, 12:12:06 PM
When you look at what players are being paid high prices are not surprising. The new stand has to be paid for somehow. So let's just put it into proportion a little bit. While fans flock to the ground there is little reason not to put prices up

So your philosophy is to bite the hand that feeds you.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Following on from the £100 charge for the new stand I am disappointed with the club for charging so much for the Leeds game .
I have been regularly attending the Cottage since about 1948 and for the first time ever am thinking of deliberately avoiding the match, will watch on TV.

Penfold

I can recall in the first season back at Craven Cottage (2004/05), we drew Chelsea in the League Cup. As I recall, grade 'A' price of £30-£35 was charged. Result was attendance of around 15-16,000 with around 6,000 being their mob.

hovewhite

Was a season ticket holder back then and price wise far better.

Cambridge Pete

Whilst I objected when prices for over 65's hit £65 the objection was to being called a "casual". However, I can accept that charges of this level need to be made to pay for the ever increasing cost of players, energy and other items that inflation and fuel costs impact. I don't feel that a £40 charge for the Leeds game is a rip off. Pricey yes but a rip off no and perhaps, given it is on TV a mistake. As to the Khan's my opinion is that Mr Khan has been an excellent custodian and I hope that he will continue to be. I could not understand the bile that was (and in some cases still is) directed at TK. He made mistakes but appears to have learnt from them. Lets not forget that the money spent was, at the end of the day the Khan's money.

Cumbrian White

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on February 14, 2023, 01:00:01 PM
Whilst I objected when prices for over 65's hit £65 the objection was to being called a "casual". However, I can accept that charges of this level need to be made to pay for the ever increasing cost of players, energy and other items that inflation and fuel costs impact. I don't feel that a £40 charge for the Leeds game is a rip off. Pricey yes but a rip off no and perhaps, given it is on TV a mistake. As to the Khan's my opinion is that Mr Khan has been an excellent custodian and I hope that he will continue to be. I could not understand the bile that was (and in some cases still is) directed at TK. He made mistakes but appears to have learnt from them. Lets not forget that the money spent was, at the end of the day the Khan's money.

Thing is, the cost of players is irrelevant to the cost of ticket prices, clubs would still be plenty in profit charging a flat £30 for home and away games, its even less than this at Bayern Munich and I think their costs are higher with even less TV money than we get.

Clubs, including Fulham are just pushing boundaries, how far can they push us,? whats the limit? I'll never buy merchandise again because of the cost, the prices of tickets, again pushing boundaries.

Clubs are greedy, they don't need fans money. I'm not saying they shouldn't charge for anything but the prices everywhere can be halved.

TV pays for the players transfers, salary, new stands etc the fans money is a bonus.

I Ronic

Don't forget Al-fayed wanted to knock the Cottage down and build Harrods themed flats there in 2002/3.
   Ticket prices have gone up but we still have two of the best walks to an iconic football ground. Footballs not bad either atm.

General

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on February 14, 2023, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: Take Me Home MAF on February 14, 2023, 11:54:48 AM

...with it being on the TV it makes little sense charging £40... but lets see if the crowds agree?.... the gate will answer...
COYW

So far it's looking like fans aren't appreciating being fleeced by the club... I've long (well since this season) been irritated by the clubs pricing strategy and now see going to games as something I'd like to do but can't justify often at their current prices. It comes to the fore where you see photo's of our games and fans in the new riverside stand taking photos on their cameras when the opposition score... they're not Fulham fans, at the very least they're tourists. They're destroying the soul of the club in my opinion.

General

Can't find the clearer photo I saw at the time, but you can kind of see in the corner of the picture titled 'Alejandro Garnacho holds up his shirt after scoring the match-winning goal' in the left corner, about five fans in our riverside stand with their phones out - the majority of whom are taking pictures of Garnacho and Man Utd fans celebrating.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12743996/fulham-1-2-man-utd-alejandro-garnachos-last-gasp-winner-seals-dramatic-victory-for-erik-ten-hags-side-before-world-cup#:~:text=Manchester%20United%20teenager%20Alejandro%20Garnacho,game%20before%20the%20World%20Cup.

Wolf

Whether you think the £40 for Leeds is fine or not, it is all essentially bonus unbudgeted income for the club. As is the tv money and prize money.

The only mitigation I can find for a pricing policy that will result in empty seats for a FA Cup Fifth Round match is that the home and away club have to agree the prices.

The particular bone of contention for me is the adult price being double the 65+ concession price.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Twig

Personally I think £40 is too much but let's just acknowledge that it's £20 for over 65's.  I also agree that £100 for the two ends and all the front rows of the Riverside is too expensive. I really think they've got their pricing policy hopelessly wrong on that one.

Sammyffc

i guess it comes to what people see as ' ripping people off ' i have started to get slightly frustrated with the constant attack from ' loyal fans' online  ( mainly fb groups and twitter ) who say they can't afford tickets and they have always been going to games.

However, clearly not. Our gates in the championship show that we were hardly ever selling out and being thousands below our capacity, plus i remember being at some games and seeing an abundance of empty seats.

It seems to me, alot of these loyal fans who complain should be called ' loyal fans when we get into the premier league'.

HOWEVER, i do think that those who can prove they have been to x-amount of games in the space of x amount of years should get a good value ticket. If you were with us vs millwall etc then you should be with us vs United, and not paying 100 pound for the pleasure.

For those who didn't go to our games when we were in the championship or struggling and are now kicking off they cant get a ticket..... tough luck.

SG

Personally do not think I am being 'fleeced' by being asked to pay £40, maybe they're a tenner too much. However I do balk at £100 a time in the new stand although with having a season ticket in P3 its academic for me at the moment. However for most of the league games the new stand is virtually selling out so there are people out there who are willing to pay these sums to watch Premier League football. The big question for me will be the season ticket prices in the stand for next season. Having been a ST holder there for the past 30 years I really don't want to be priced out of the stand. We shall see!

St Eve

Wolf

Regarding the Riverside it will be expensive next season, season tickets and day tickets.
The club do not want or need long term fans in those seats, they will want new wealthy, corporate and day tripping fans who will pay for the add-ons like hospitality, spend in the club shop etc
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Stevieboy

Remembering ticket prices when petrol was not over £7 a gallon
Average house prices were not over £250,000
A pint of beer didn't cost over £6
Gas and electric prices didn't rival a monthly mortgage payment.

With the average theatre ticket in London costing around £140 I don't think our prices are outrageous.

I would say though when I first had a season ticket some cup games were included which I think would show appreciation from the club for our commitment and outlay at a time when a lot cannot afford it.

filham

My concession season ticket this season for the JH stand was increased to about £20 per match. I thought that was reasonable for premier league football. Hard to see how I am now being asked to pay £25 plus postage etc. for a FA CUP 5th round tie.