watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are Strikers Finished At 30?

Started by White Noise, January 12, 2011, 05:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

In the modern day Prem are strikers basically finished by the end of their 20's? How many good ones of 30 or over can you think of?

The Equalizer

Nicolas Anelka
Didier Drogba
Dimitar Berbatov (ok, he's got 3 weeks left)
Dirk Kuyt
Peter Crouch (ok, he's also got 3 weeks left)

Alright, none of them are world beaters anymore necessarily, but I'd have any one of them bar Crouch in the Fulham squad.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Jimpav

Drogba had his most succesfull last season and would walk into almost any team.

Sir Robert Zamora is about to enter his 30th year and showed no sign of slowing down until he got scythed down by Karl Henry.

The enigmatic tortured soul that is Craig Bellamy is also a pretty good striker for 31.

Dirk Kuyt is also 30 and can still hold his own.

Emile Hesk... :005:

Okay that last one was a step too far.

HatterDon

If their game depends on pace, then yes. If not, they can stay around well past 30.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on January 12, 2011, 05:34:23 PM
If their game depends on pace, then yes. If not, they can stay around well past 30.

Oi! I'm 35 in a month and I'm still as quick as I was when I was 25!  :airfix:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Mr Fulham

Look at Kevin Davies, Drogba or Piquionne. I think quality doesn't depend on age. Obviously, there comes a time were they are getting worse, but look at Kevin Phillips. The guy is still a constant threat when he comes on and is still capable of scoring goals. And he's nearly 40!

CULTUREVULTURE

Brian McBride did a decent job after 30.

Burt

How old was Shearer when he hung up his boots?

TonyGilroy

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 12, 2011, 05:35:11 PM

you were never very quick then? :dft012: :011: :011: :011:

mhatc

Michael Owen has definitely lost it.

LBNo11

...there are certain things I wouldn't want to make as public as this statement, especially where the attraction of a female of the species is concerned...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Equalizer

Steady Ed! There's no speed issues there! Plenty of false-starts though...  :035:

Admin

Teddy Sherringham
Dion Dublin
Mark Hughes
Gary Liniker

were all still banging in goals well after their 30's

Lighthouse

:wine: If you remember where you were at thirty, you weren't there.  :beer:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FatFreddysCat

Honestly, no you're not, i try to decieve my self, but after 30, 90% of people are well into decline. As HD says if your game depends on pace , then your fecked, but players like Sheringham can get away with it. For this reason the SWP rumoured signing makes no sense, as he reminds me a bit of of Gus Ulenbeek , fast as feck but no end product. A loan till the end of the season would be superb, but £4 million plus heavy wages is madness.